THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 Apr 2024, 16:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with web design coursework  (Read 6083 times)

catflea

Help with web design coursework
« on: 24 Mar 2005, 10:51 »

ok,  I have to make a website for one of my course units,    whilst I would have no problem doing this normally I want to add a means of updating it all dynamically (the links, content etc) from one location or supposedly be able to do this should I upload it (It has to run off CD)

the requirements are here:
http://www.mtllive.com/fit/labs/WebAssignment03.pdf

whats the best type of code to use, considering it has to run off the CD (so no PHP enabled servers!) where I can get a tutorial for the code and which programs to use to write it (I'm planning on dreamweaver MX

Cheers Guys

Trinary

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2005, 11:00 »

So...you want to be able to dynamically update a page statically loaded off read-only media with no web server?

I kinda don't think that can happen.  Do I misunderstand?
UNF.

catflea

« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2005, 11:20 »

Lets rephrase this.

I want to create a site that I can put online and update dynamically (go onto an 'admin' area and do it from there)

I also need to hand this same website in on a CD.  The website must run on a  bog standard computer in IE 5.5   I do not need to update on the CD,  but write the content into the site stored on the HDD and then copy it over.

is that any clearer?

catflea

« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2005, 11:21 »

oh, and I think frames tend to suck

Trinary

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2005, 11:53 »

So what you need to do then is set up and use a web server and PHP (or one of the zillion other backend scripting systems, all of which can do something like this somewhat easily, depending on how complicated you want to make it...I tend to recommend PHP because it's somewhat easier to get working and learn, as well as being free, cross-platform, etc) to make your admin/update and content display pages, then just dump the source of the resulting pages to make your CD.

Can you use third-party content management systems?  If so, redesigning something like MoveableType would be the easiest way to go, since it has all the code done for you.
UNF.

catflea

« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2005, 12:15 »

but would that then work on my lecturers PC?

Trinary

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #6 on: 24 Mar 2005, 12:52 »

If you just saved the source of the pages it spits out, name them properly, and tweak links to point at new filenames, then yes.  You'd have to make a template (if using something like MT) that is very stripped down, no RSS, no archives, no comments, no admin login link, and so on, since none of that would work from a static page.  All those things are in the default templates.

It's awkward and dumb, but then again very few (if any) content management systems were designed with anything like static content output in mind.  Wouldn't it be easier to just have a Dreamweaver  project or whatever that you maintain and update?  That's kind of what things like that exist for.
UNF.

catflea

« Reply #7 on: 24 Mar 2005, 13:33 »

I think I shall do them independantly,  it sounds like significantly less hassle.

Cheers for the help though
Pages: [1]   Go Up