THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 22:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod people, assemble!  (Read 18905 times)

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
iPod people, assemble!
« on: 25 Mar 2005, 23:30 »

Hey, for those of us iPod users (If you are going to call us zealots or tell us how the iPod sucks, please move on we've already spent our dough and don't want to hear it), a place to congregate and say "what's up?"

In my case.... anyone REALLY spend a lot of time on their playlists?  Or just leave it up to shuffle?  (I read that if you use playlist options rather than shuffling, it'll drain less juice off your iPod)  Also, anyone happen to get a battery pack?  (I usually listen to mine all day at work so the 12 hours just BARELY gets me home)

Discuss?

daviesmatt

iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2005, 23:49 »

I want a 40gb one, but I've used up all my guilt-parents-into-buying-me-stuff credits on a 2nd hand Ibook.

Someday, someday..

Are they worth the money?

Kjammer

iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2005, 01:28 »

I have a 20gb iPod, it didn't cost me a dime, it was a gift from my parrents on my 18th birthday.  I am currently coppying songs from the CDs that I own (that I like and want to listen to), I end up coppying a song 5 or 6 times because the CDs (or CD-ROM drive) sometimes skips and I end up getting "broken" songs.  I also use it to back-up important files from my PC, when I was reformatting.  I still have ~15gb of empty space.

Quote from: Poster From the Future
HA! YOU GOTS A 20Gig, I gots a FORTY GIGIE BITE, THAT MEAns U R STUpiD!!!111!!!! YOUY R Inph34RI0r!!111! GET Out of the iPOD TOPIK, YOU FUCKTARD!! YOU R N0T WelKuM Because YOU Sux0rz!!111!!! LMAO ROFL LOLOLOLOLZ!!!!1111!!! I am 12 years Old, YOU must be 6 HAHAHAHAHAHAH LOLOLOLOLOL!!!111!

Sensible Response: Oh, come now. It's not the size that counts it's how you use it.

My Response: WTF?

daviesmatt

iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2005, 02:02 »

Took the words right out of my mouth, if i had a 40gb ipod.

I've got about 16gb of music on my PC. Still got quite a few albums to rip as well. But.. I'm leaving in a few months, and my ibook's only got a 30gb hard drive, so i need to figure out a way of taking them all with me. Ipod/external hard drive.

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
  • Lurker of Lovecraftian proportion
    • Obligatory Social Networking Page
iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2005, 02:09 »

Wow... and I used to think I had a lot of music...

japaneasy

iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2005, 04:50 »

iPods are the nectar of the gods.  In plastic and metal form.  And run out of batteries *just* as that one chick from class you *really* don't want to talk to sits down next to you on the bus.  But I digress...
I'm glad someone started this thread actually, because I have a question:  Is there any way to get rid of duplicate songs in iTunes without going into the folders and deleting them manually?  I just moved all my music from a 20GB external HD to my new 160GB one (mmmm....) and I somehow ended up with like 4 copies of all my songs.  Really makes scrolling through my library a chore.  Any suggestions?
As to shuffle...  not so much.  I usually make up a playlist on my walk to the bus stop in the morning, depending on my mood that day.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2005, 05:44 »

I haven't found a way to do it either... and I've got almost 200 in duplicates..... @_@

"R2" is almost full.... only 2 gigs left. Granted, this is after 7 years and many CD purchases later :)  To me, this is totally worth it, even more so because apparently it can link up to Microsoft outlook or any other organizer program you have and sync with the address book, in addition.  The size, both physically and HD wise make an iPod worth it.... and I plan on phasing into apple stuff as soon as I can afford a new computer (iBook, maybe) so it made sense.  (I rationalize the cost I spent like that and that's all there is to it!  :)

Abattur

• Furry furrier
  • CTHULHU! FUCK YEAH!
iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #7 on: 26 Mar 2005, 06:14 »

I am not against iPods, i would like to have one myself.

But whats wrong with ye olde cassette players, they work for me. ;)
YOUR RESISTANCE ONLY MAKES MY PENIS HARDER!

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #8 on: 26 Mar 2005, 06:25 »

What, for that matter, is wrong with just listening to the world around you?  Back home in Canberra I always used to see people jogging through all the lovely woodland we have there, listening to something in their earphones while the trees were filled with all sorts of bird song . . . Plus, without the earphones you're less likely to be unexpectedly run over by a bus.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #9 on: 26 Mar 2005, 07:27 »

Quote from: japaneasy

I'm glad someone started this thread actually, because I have a question:  Is there any way to get rid of duplicate songs in iTunes without going into the folders and deleting them manually?  I just moved all my music from a 20GB external HD to my new 160GB one (mmmm....) and I somehow ended up with like 4 copies of all my songs.  Really makes scrolling through my library a chore.  Any suggestions?

Shift click the duplicate songs, right click, and then click clear. It should ask you (If they're in your designated music folder) If you want to delete them too.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

bev

iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #10 on: 26 Mar 2005, 08:13 »

I've got a 40 gig one (apple shop screwed somehting up and I only had to pay the rpice of a 20gig one) and I love it to peices. I hate Apple with a passion but at least they got the iPod right.

My batteries JUSR last me the day but I've nevr ran out.

japaneasy

iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #11 on: 26 Mar 2005, 08:19 »

Kai

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU.  That was super.  Only thing is it's CTL-click, not shift-click.  But you, sir, are my hero. <praise>

MilkmanDan

iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #12 on: 26 Mar 2005, 09:33 »

I have a broken 10GB iPod that I still love, even though it sits in my room doing nothing.
I want a nice new 80GB one, but they don't make them. And the 60GB one is a stupid photo iPod. So I'm hoping they will release a 60GB normal one this summer or preferably an 80GB, but it's unlikely.
Actually, I want a 100GB, because an 80GB isn't really 80GB, as they are sly and use the whole 1000 bits/1024 bits thing. So it would also be too small. Only just too small though, so I could live wth it.

So, yeah, I love iPods. I'm a bit of an Apple whore, truth be told, but that's not the point.

Oh and Japaneasy, Click Edit->Show duplicate songs. Select avec CTRL-click. Delete. Voila.

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #13 on: 26 Mar 2005, 12:55 »

I'm very glad that I got an ipod.  I only have a 20 gig, but that's ok because so far I only have like 1 or 2 gigs used up, except I haven't updated in a while so that may change.  I dropped this thing a few times (fleeing from harm, I'm not a clumsy person) and it works fine.  

I have to say that I also really like iTunes.  I used windows media player and all these other players before but I just didn't care for them.  I just like the interface better.
Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

Two_Tone

iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #14 on: 26 Mar 2005, 13:42 »

I have right now about 8.8 gigs of space filled up, I like to use the smart playlist functions to narrow down the shuffle function. Also does anyone know how to make the itunes command "or" instead of "and" for smart play lists. So you can have geners indie or alternative. For example if you try to do that now you get a very confused compter before it spit out a balnk playlist.

emopants

iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #15 on: 26 Mar 2005, 13:50 »

I have a 40G, 33.3G filled.  I love mine, I use it so much.  The screen and back are scratched to hell, but as it still plays, I'm not that concerned.

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • All roads lead to WAAAGH!
iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #16 on: 26 Mar 2005, 14:10 »

STUPID IPOD QUESTION AHEAD.

I heard that with an iPod that you can only use MP3s downloaded from a specifid source; Is that true or can uou use any MP3 you want?
I see angels on Ariels in leather and chrome, Swooping down from heaven to carry me home.

czar0406

iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #17 on: 26 Mar 2005, 14:23 »

nope, never had a problem with that.

MilkmanDan

iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #18 on: 26 Mar 2005, 15:22 »

No need to worry about that. It works the other way round actually. An ipod can play all normal MP3's like any MP3 players, but can also play AAC and Apple Lossless files, + tracks you've bought off Itunes music store, which most players can't.

Cpt.Fantastic

iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #19 on: 26 Mar 2005, 15:42 »

I only have a 4GB, BABY WANTS A 40GB!!

czar0406

iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #20 on: 26 Mar 2005, 15:46 »

I have a 512 MB Shuffle(that my brother stole) and a 20G iPod.  but the evil genius wheels start turning in my head and im thinking "If i had an 80G...i could rule THE WORLD!!!"

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #21 on: 26 Mar 2005, 15:49 »

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU.  That was super.  Only thing is it's CTL-click, not shift-click.  But you, sir, are my hero. <praise>

You can use both Shift and Ctrl, Either one works. Just if they're all in a row, I tend to use Shift.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #22 on: 26 Mar 2005, 15:57 »

Czar:

Just get another 3 20 GB iPods.... your own lil' army.  Name one Michaelangelo, one Leonardo..... and I am going to stop right there :)

Pod accessories, anyone?  I got the iSkin evo.... seems to do the job.

Jooooosh

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #23 on: 26 Mar 2005, 16:03 »

3 times 20 is only 60, he needs 4 of them
fast-food for thought

czar0406

iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #24 on: 26 Mar 2005, 16:08 »

i already have a 20G

3 x 20 = 60 + 20 = 80

Freezey

iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #25 on: 26 Mar 2005, 16:37 »

How much are iPods going for nowadays, anyways? I've been wanting to pick one up for a while (probably 20gb, I don't need my entire music collection with me at once...theres some albums I rarely listen to); just never bothered to go to a store.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #26 on: 26 Mar 2005, 16:38 »

I think the lowest price is like, 300 ish. I've been meaning to get one as well.

japaneasy

iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #27 on: 26 Mar 2005, 20:06 »

Quote from: MilkmanDan
Click Edit->Show duplicate songs. Select avec CTRL-click. Delete. Voila.

DOH!  I read this after I go through the whole list, clicking every other song, or every 2 out of 3.  Heh.  I guess the shift-click would have worked, if I had been smartie enuff to do this first.

Anywho, slightly more on topic, I'm really glad I bought mine in the States...  Becuase they're like $AUD 700 here or something ridiculous.  AND they don't come with a remote control.

mosfet

iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #28 on: 26 Mar 2005, 20:16 »

i have a 3rd gen 40gb, and its almost full.  Keep in mind, you don't need 40gb to use a 40gb ipod.  A lot of people ask me if its worth the cash for larger size ones.... Yes!  

I mount mine as a drive as well as an ipod.  so 28gb of music and growing, and then several gigs of documents, downloads, and VirtualPC images. :D

As for playlists, I'm constantly making new ones.  Each one designed to fit certain moods.  On a side note, I get a chuckle when I see my wife's powerbook... Shes setup about 20 "Smart Playlists" and each and every one of them does nothing more than list one, individual album per list... :D

oh yeah.  My iPod is the second best thing I've ever gotten as a gift from anyone!  The first being my poor kitty who is no longer with us. :(

Cpt.Fantastic

iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #29 on: 27 Mar 2005, 03:31 »

Right, this is a stupid question owing to me losing the manual...

How do you set iTunes up so you don't have to keep the songs on your PC, but they don't get deleted from your iPod every time you update it?

Edit:
Check it... Man I love Paint!

and the one that I'll just link...
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/Teh_Captain/iPodwhore2.jpg

MilkmanDan

iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #30 on: 27 Mar 2005, 07:32 »

You'll have to turn off auto-update and then move the songs across to your mac manually. You can set up a 'new stuff' playlist to know which songs you need to put on, bt it's still hassle. There might be some shareware about to do it for you, but none springs to mind.

I think. I've never tried. There might be a 'don't delete stuff when I update just because it's not on my computer' button. That would probobly sort you out.

c1utch

iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #31 on: 27 Mar 2005, 17:58 »

I've a 40gb 4G

I've had a 5gb 1G, 10gb 2G (2 different ones), 15gb 3G (2 different ones), 20gb 3G, and the 40gb.

I also only paid for the original, and best buy replacment plan has taken care of the rest.  I swear, that $30 was the best i've ever spent. If my battery goes out again, or backlight, or HDD, I get a 60gb ipod photo for $50. (Because they no longer make the 40GB)

But yea, I actually just go browse by artists and choose what I wanna listen to.  I have like 35gb of music, and just one playlist with 2500 songs on it (all of my "favorites") that I'll shuffle from sometimes.

My sister also has a shuffle, and of course its just her favorites as well.

*edit*

Is there any way to get rid of duplicate songs in iTunes without going into the folders and deleting them manually?

Why yes there is ... Edit>Show Duplicate Songs

*yet another edit*

I really should read the entire thread before posting

GebStar

• Furry furrier
iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #32 on: 28 Mar 2005, 03:13 »

I've got a 15Gig, i bought it when it first came out, for the full price. I love it to pieces, but it actually broke once, i had to send it away for a month for it to be eventually replaced.
Now everyone has iPods and i feel like such a conformist, but im content in the fact that I bought it first.
I havent thrown out my discman though, sometimes i only want to listen to a few albums and there's no need to take the iPod out.
Still, they're very cool, and more people should own them.

Just a question, does everyone here wear the iPod headphones that come with it? or do you use your own?
I personally use my own, too many people ask questions if I've got the shite ones in. "Is that an iPod? Show me"
Quote from: Trollstormur
that slogan is a good slogan. so good, in fact, I think it should be applied to other things. like, "there's no wrong way to hit your spouse." or "there's no wrong way to commit nonconsentual sodomy."

japaneasy

iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #33 on: 28 Mar 2005, 03:54 »

This is gonna sound really lame, but on the topic of headphones...  My hair sticks straight up when it starts getting longer (see pic thread-Asio puff pic for reference).  When I wear my normal headphones, they tamp down the hair in this one band across my head, and it looks really strange.  For reference:

So when my hair gets into the poof stage, I rock the regular bud earphones.  But when it's not, I wear the Sony's.

c1utch

iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #34 on: 28 Mar 2005, 05:39 »

I use my own.

I have some sony ones that clip on to my ears for school and skiing and such, then some sennheiser 212pros for car trips etc.

My friend has the Sony MDR-V700DJs which are rather nice, though I find the ear cups shallow.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #35 on: 28 Mar 2005, 13:41 »

I use my own, and feel all "undercover" when I see others using the 'buds.   I would like to get the JBL speakers for my pod, though.

Willis

iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #36 on: 28 Mar 2005, 19:02 »

Thanks to the IRS I joined the ranks of the iPod faithful a week ago and already I'm loving it.  I went with a 4GB Blue Mini.  I don't want/need all my CDs in the thing and my motivation for getting one was to use it while running (I do that ALOT?).  I also am on a strict limited budget and didn't want to spend and arm and a leg.  Yes I am happy so far.  I have a feeling that shortly I'll be creating a hieracrchy amongst my songs as to which ones will make it onto the iPod.  I have heard stories about people putting all their CDs on them, getting rid of the CDS, and then losing/having the iPod stolen.  So word of advice: keep your CDs.  I'm sure in another year or so when I have more disposable income I'll be purchasing another one.

~~Willis, lovin' his iPod

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #37 on: 28 Mar 2005, 21:26 »

I want a 20 gig. So hard.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #38 on: 28 Mar 2005, 22:01 »

Anyone know if you can hook up one iPod to another person's comp and DL the songs to it?  (I know this means you won't be able to upload them to your own computer, but that's not a big deal to me)

japaneasy

iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #39 on: 28 Mar 2005, 22:31 »

You mean from your iPod to their comp?  I'm 5-9s sure it's a no-go.  You can nab songs from their comp to your iPod though.

c1utch

iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #40 on: 29 Mar 2005, 05:38 »

as long as they have the same OS (Windows to windows), or even windows to OSX, its pretty easy.
Go onto google and look for iPod Agent, IPod Util, etc, you'll find what you need. ipodlounge.com has a bunch of them listed in the freeware section. even ephpod will do it if you want.

Otherwise, hook it up, go and browse the iPod as a HDD, enable hidden folder viewing, and go into the hidden iPod_Control folder, then Music, and simply copy all of the 40 or so F1-40 folders to the new comp, then have iTunes open and organize them all.

Windows --> OS9 doesn't work tohugh, but thats about it.

dannyboy

iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #41 on: 30 Mar 2005, 12:15 »

I've got the 4g 40gb iPod and love the hell out of it.  I don't really spend a lot of time on the playlist though.  I mainly listen to albums straight through or use the shuffle feature.  As for batteries though, I'm currently trying to build one of these:

http://www.chrisdiclerico.com/mt/archives/001572.php

I'm not sure how I missed that before, but now I have to have one.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #42 on: 30 Mar 2005, 12:43 »

that's friggin' cool!  However, I lack the courage to add anything like that to mine... I just don't trust myself with a soldering iron.  

I remember when I first opened up my iPod I accidentally set it to CHinese.  Lo and behold in the manual: "In case you accidentally set a foreign language on your iPod...."  I cringe for how many people it took before that got added into the 4Gs.

Stifled Dreams

iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #43 on: 30 Mar 2005, 13:52 »

I set my iPod to Chinese once! I used a friend's to navigate back to the language settings. It was a fun adventure in iPod-land.

My iPod is little and cute and pink and has my name on the back. It was meant to discourage my brother from taking it to use in school, but it ended up just not having enough space :( I'm going to have to clean it out in a while.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #44 on: 30 Mar 2005, 22:41 »

I was about to ask how you got yours painted, Stifled, but then I realized... "haha, the mini's pink, isn't it?"

c1utch

iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #45 on: 31 Mar 2005, 05:33 »

I've had friends do that to me, but usually they'll only go back 2 screens, and with the iPods nav memory, you just click click, and you're back to where it says "English"

As for getting it colored, its http://www.colorwarepc.com

and upon checking the site, you can finally get a seprately colored wheel! sweet.

I would get white on white, like the iPod should have been.

normz

iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #46 on: 31 Mar 2005, 05:39 »

I want an Ipod dammit, my friend justin has one and he loves it so much that we think he's cut out a chunk of his own flesh and sewn his ipod into his hip so it can permanantly be attatched to his body. This theory however was proven wrong when he actually let me play with it one day (my best mate says this is the final and most important sign that he wants me) so I think I'll marry him now so i can divorce him and run off with his Ipod, or i could just buy one ........ meh for now i have a discman and a laptop and between the two of them i get my moozic fix *sigh* anyone wanna donate to my attainment of ipod enlightenment fund???

mosfet

iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #47 on: 31 Mar 2005, 08:02 »

I HAVE to make me one of those battery packs! :D

I've got a 3rd Gen 40gb iPod, but I lust after the iPod Photos.
To be able to see the coil of rope when listening to |\|||/| would rock!

Also the whole webcomic on iPod is something I'd like to do.

nayrk

iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #48 on: 31 Mar 2005, 11:06 »

i have a 3G 40GB iPod, about 3/4th full.

I do alot of playlist but lately i've left it on random songs.

Jarne

iPod people, assemble!
« Reply #49 on: 31 Mar 2005, 19:57 »

A blue 4GB iPod mini. I love it so much. I don't think I'll be replacing it until it breaks. Then I'll hire a necromancer to raise it from the dead. I just don't need more than 4GB on it. Heck, my computer only has 30GB. I enjoy making playlists and have not even touched the shuffle button on my baby.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up