THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP3 Players...  (Read 12059 times)

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • All roads lead to WAAAGH!
MP3 Players...
« on: 26 Mar 2005, 23:26 »

I am looking into buying an MP3 player; but do not want to spend all the money I have in the world on an iPod. So I was wondering if any of you guys could reccomend a cheap, portable MP3 player that works reasonably well, and holds a decent number(150~250+) songs.

Any reccomendations would be awesome. I am hoping to spend less than $75US, but would not mind spending a little more if I have to.
I see angels on Ariels in leather and chrome, Swooping down from heaven to carry me home.

czar0406

MP3 Players...
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2005, 23:30 »

512MB iPod Shuffle  $99

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
MP3 Players...
« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2005, 23:38 »

If this turns into an "arguing about the iPod" thread I am going to lock it and set you all on fire.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Jenno

• Furry furrier
MP3 Players...
« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2005, 23:43 »

I have a 40gb ipod but I would agree with the comment on getting a shuffle, my brother has one and I steal it for jogging :) Its very nice

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
MP3 Players...
« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2005, 23:57 »

Quote from: jeph
If this turns into an "arguing about the iPod" thread I am going to lock it and set you all on fire.
Please do. I hate it when threads I start burn down.

I'll look into that iPod shuffle. But I'll be dissapointed if that is the only thing that comes up.
I see angels on Ariels in leather and chrome, Swooping down from heaven to carry me home.

ASturge

MP3 Players...
« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2005, 00:45 »

^ i just ordered one of ebay. its 512mb and it only cost me 35pounds.

cant wait tilll it comes

blooflame

I'd look into some of the flash-based Creative products
« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2005, 08:02 »

There are several different models http://www.creative.com/products/welcome.asp?category=213&subcategory=215 in the MuVo series,  so you can choose the model that best suits your needs (NO I don't work for Creative, I've been looking into them myself is all).

Also, Lexar makes an interesting thing, an MP3 player that hosts one of their USB flash drives http://www.lexar.com/mp3/jg_mp3.html.  They sell it with or without the flash drive included. I'm betting it would take some other slim-style USB drives as well.

All of these options are in your price range (especially if you buy just the MP3 player for the Lexar which I've seen listed at TigerDirect for something like $39).

I make no claim about their qualities, having not bought one and listened to it. Plus, remember I'm from ancient times, and have spent time standing in front at concerts, too close to large stacks of Marshall amps , so I do not have the proverbial "golden ears".

And, to add a comic thread to this - what technologies does Pintsize use for downloading and/or olaying music? Is he an Ogg Vorbis snob, or will he download any sort of file so long as he has a codec to play it?  Will he be a Pintsize Pirate Radio Station and broadcast tunes over WiFi to the neighborhood?

Hoborg

MP3 Players...
« Reply #7 on: 27 Mar 2005, 16:07 »

I have the 128 MB version of this:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=55-162-002&depa=0

I highly reccomend it if you have a laptop or easy-access USB slots on your desktop, and you are around it enough to change your music frequently. Its got a little USB dealie right on it that slides in and out, so you can swap albums really quick and it doubles as a USB flash drive. It's really small, cheap, and it's got a screen (unlike the ipod shuffle), but the only disadvantage is that it's kind of thick so it could be hard to fit into some USB slots. Works great on my powerbook, but dosen't fit into my friend's dell laptop. It comes with a little USB extender cord if that is the case, though, so its not a big deal. It runs FOREVER on one AAA battery.

I'd say either that or the iPod shuffle (if you can stand not having a screen. You'd pay more money, but get 512 MB which isnt bad at all). If you want to hold libraries full of songs you need to go into $Rediculous range.

c1utch

MP3 Players...
« Reply #8 on: 27 Mar 2005, 16:22 »

I'd also say the iPod shuffle.

PC Magazine has a great editorial on a bunch of sound quality testing they did on a bunch of mp3 players, and the shuffle was on top, with what they claim is the most perfect sound out of an mp3 player (and they don't just love apple, the mini was absolutely last on the list, worst sound)

The shuffle is small, cheap, and really with only 512mb - 1gb of space (120-240 songs, sounding nice) you can just pick your absolute favorites, meaning that you usually know what the songs are without looking, and won't have to skip alot.

My sister loves hers.

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
MP3 Players...
« Reply #9 on: 27 Mar 2005, 17:07 »

I think I may cheat a little, since my birthday is coming up, and ask for an iPod. The shuffle would worki, since I know EVERY song on my computer by the time the first three seconds has played. I will have to look into one next chance I get.

mosfet

MP3 Players...
« Reply #10 on: 27 Mar 2005, 17:13 »

I would personally pick the 1gb over the 512mb.
Its less to spend the extra 40$ now, then to upgrade to a new one later.

Space is good because mp3 players tend to make good portable drives as well as players.

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
MP3 Players...
« Reply #11 on: 27 Mar 2005, 17:19 »

I have a 128MB portable drive that handles more than I need; so I am not really worried about that part.

Two_Tone

MP3 Players...
« Reply #12 on: 27 Mar 2005, 18:26 »

You could always go the Ebay route

Crowebert

MP3 Players...
« Reply #13 on: 29 Mar 2005, 21:10 »

If it's not too late, I proffer the following:

MuVo POWER!!!

It's got the physical size benefits of the iPod shuffle, but doubles as a USB drive (which may or may not be needed). Battery life is pretty good for a single AAA, at about 10 hrs (? don't know, never measured). It has a mic and FM tuner as well, which can be handy at times. Really, the thing that sold me on this one though, was that it's entirely driverless and works on just about any system with any media player (ie. you aren't forced to use iTunes, although you certainly can if you insist). If it has USB and sees the drive, you can put music (or anything else) on it. Handles mp3 and wma (ick!) and does up to 1 level deep directory sorting. Comes in 128, 256 or 512 MB models.

Personally, I swear by these things. The same line also has slightly larger (but way higher capacity, up to a few gigs) models, but I like the widdle guy.

(I'm really trying to keep the iPod burns out of this post. It's really hard :P)

emopants

MP3 Players...
« Reply #14 on: 29 Mar 2005, 23:49 »

if I wasn't going to get an ipod, I would get an iRiver.  great little beasts.

Areckahn

MP3 Players...
« Reply #15 on: 30 Mar 2005, 09:11 »

Quote from: Crowebert
I

I have the 256 model of this one and I'm very happy with it.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
MP3 Players...
« Reply #16 on: 30 Mar 2005, 12:45 »

I have an RCA Lyra that I take with me to the gym,  (about 32 songs and it does its job) so there's another suggestion.  Was about 80 bucks when I bought it a year ago, so you might find a better deal for a better model.

Crowebert

MP3 Players...
« Reply #17 on: 30 Mar 2005, 17:15 »

Quote from: emopants
if I wasn't going to get an ipod, I would get an iRiver.  great little beasts.

I've heard far too many great things about those guys. Reckon' maybe even the best flash-based player in existence, assuming one can look past fruity logos. All about the prism design...

Unfortunately, they're as rare as unicorns where I am, and when I got my MuVo, I didn't really have time to shop around or buy online. (My last MuVo got stolen, so I got the latest model on the way home. I NEEDS me Mp3s!)

nihilist

MP3 Players...
« Reply #18 on: 02 Apr 2005, 10:13 »

Teh Rio Carbon (5GB)

Tiny, stupid fast, acts as a nice 5GB portable HD.  (I randomly dump files and shit on it to cart them around.)  USB2.0, so it's nice and fast.  Quality stuff, this.  Got the limited edition when they were first announced.  Oh, and it's fuckigg tiny.  Not just tiny, but fucking tiny.  Yep.  My recommendation.[/url]

Chimera

mp3 players
« Reply #19 on: 11 Apr 2005, 21:09 »

i'd also go with a creative player, i had a MuVo NX 512mb until i was stupid and got it stolen, i loved that thing, it gave the change pocket in my pants a use. you can't beat 1.1 oz for weight, i would foget it was in my pocket.

i've since upgraded to a 4gb MuVo^2
it holds an amazing amount when compared to my old one, the battery life is awesome, its still very small and has 8-10 hour battery life, you can charge through a USB cable or a wall socket. i'd go with creative, just replace the stock headphones and you're all set.

nihilist

MP3 Players...
« Reply #20 on: 11 Apr 2005, 21:26 »

The Carbon is smaller, lighter, greater capacity, and better battery life.  :p

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
MP3 Players...
« Reply #21 on: 11 Apr 2005, 21:29 »

Buy an old tape-playing Walkman.

Just to mess with people's heads, you know.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Burninated Peasant

MP3 Players...
« Reply #22 on: 12 Apr 2005, 09:44 »

Heh, I just got a Hi-MD Walkman (MZ-NH700) for $180CAN, and it's fuggin' unbelievable! I bought it not as a portable music player, but as a recording device. I also bought a $100CAN microphone, and the quality of recordings is ridiculously good. It also functions as a portable HD and, of course, as a music player, and you can use old MiniDiscs or the 1 GB Hi-MDs and carry as much music with you as you want. Just swap out the discs on the fly.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
MP3 Players...
« Reply #23 on: 12 Apr 2005, 11:30 »

5gb Zen Micro

I love it to bits, but be warned - the earphones that come with are crap.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

Super Dave

MP3 Players...
« Reply #24 on: 12 Apr 2005, 19:04 »

Quote from: nihilist
Teh Rio Carbon (5GB)

Tiny, stupid fast, acts as a nice 5GB portable HD.  (I randomly dump files and shit on it to cart them around.)  USB2.0, so it's nice and fast.  Quality stuff, this.  Got the limited edition when they were first announced.  Oh, and it's fuckigg tiny.  Not just tiny, but fucking tiny.  Yep.  My recommendation.

I just picked myself up one of theese babys on Saturady, and I am truly impressed with it's awsomeness, and how unbeleiveably small and cheap it was.

also, Zen Micros are nice, especially the black ones.

PS- if you read a revfiew about Carbons not having an easy- access hold button, call Bullshit, Because they do.

nihilist

MP3 Players...
« Reply #25 on: 12 Apr 2005, 19:54 »

Yeah, it's stupidly easy to use.  Me likes.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
MP3 Players...
« Reply #26 on: 12 Apr 2005, 22:01 »

I still say iPod. I'd give my left nut for one.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Patatat

MP3 Players...
« Reply #27 on: 13 Apr 2005, 18:57 »

Why not just do one of those things to get a free iPod?

I am not advertising them, but I mean I heard they possibly work. I mean signing up for blockbuster for an iPod is definatly worth it.

Nihilst, where can I purchase the Rio? I can't seem to be able to actually find one anywhere.

nihilist

MP3 Players...
« Reply #28 on: 13 Apr 2005, 19:06 »

Depends on where in the Barren North you are.  :)

Patatat

MP3 Players...
« Reply #29 on: 13 Apr 2005, 19:35 »

Not the great white part.

More so the tanned leaf part.

Michigan.

Burninated Peasant

MP3 Players...
« Reply #30 on: 13 Apr 2005, 19:47 »

There are actually quite a few legitimate "free iPod" offers in the States (do your own research; Google is your friend), but all the ones I've seen for Canada require purchases of some sort.

nihilist

MP3 Players...
« Reply #31 on: 13 Apr 2005, 19:49 »

Pff.  That ain't north.  :p

I'm not sure about where to find it in the US.  I actually ordered mine online straight from Rio.

Patatat

MP3 Players...
« Reply #32 on: 13 Apr 2005, 20:36 »

Sorry I led you on Nih. I am such a tramp like that.

Eh, that sucks I am kinda partial to buying it in person. Mail ordering things makes me jumpy.

ASturge

MP3 Players...
« Reply #33 on: 14 Apr 2005, 04:56 »

haha

on the recorder on my mp3 i just recorded me attempting to play Two Headed Boy by NMH

heeeee

HMS Odell

MP3 Players...
« Reply #34 on: 15 Apr 2005, 06:23 »

man, i just found the creative zen xtra 60 GB and i liiiiiike. not necessarily for you, but for me, yessir. (i have tons of music.) it stores all files, not just music. the comparable ipod photo (also stores files and is 60 GB) is $450. also, the creative can slow music down without changing pitch - for the occasional learning of shrrrredding riffs. found it here for 264 dollas. man, i like this idea.

nihilist

MP3 Players...
« Reply #35 on: 15 Apr 2005, 07:16 »

Yeah, the Carbon also stores files.  Just smaller.  That sounds pretty cool, I must admit.

Poke

MP3 Players...
« Reply #36 on: 21 Apr 2005, 19:49 »

I saw screw iPods... they are way too expensive if you're just going to be listening to music on them. And if you want to run around a lot, they will skip.

I have a Rio Cali Sport, 256 MB, which I am pretty sure you can get for less than $100 anywhere online. It doesn't hold a ton of music, but 4 hours worth of MP3s is good enough for me, especially when they are so easy to transfer on and off. It won't skip at all, and it comes with a little armband you can wear it in. Also, it has VERY good sound quality.

c1utch

MP3 Players...
« Reply #37 on: 24 Apr 2005, 15:23 »

Quote from: Poke
I saw screw iPods... they are way too expensive if you're just going to be listening to music on them. And if you want to run around a lot, they will skip.

Well then I say go find out what a iPod Shuffle is ... it's $100 for  twice your Rio Cali (so slightly more expensive, for twice the space) and a flash player, which hasn't been known to skip.

I've gotta say, I wish they came with a screen, but its seriously not the discomfort some people pretend it is :-/

nihilist

MP3 Players...
« Reply #38 on: 24 Apr 2005, 15:29 »

The small Rio is flash.  You can buy new ones with bigger sizes.  My Carbon is 5GB, and was double the price.  Ooh.
Pages: [1]   Go Up