THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 01:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone going to the 2005 Coachella Valley Music Festival?  (Read 11851 times)

Oerdin

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

I know I am.  :D

For those of you who don't know Coachella has become one of the leading Music Festivals on the American West Coast and it is by far the largest Indie Rock festival in California.  The line up looks absolutely killer and I'd like to see if anyone is going from QC.

http://www.coachella.com/

WonkoTehSane

Anyone going to the 2005 Coachella Valley Music Festival?
« Reply #1 on: 01 Apr 2005, 23:43 »

I'd love to, but Indio's a long way away. I'm making it to Bonnaroo, though :D

Deformagraphy

« Reply #2 on: 02 Apr 2005, 00:20 »

Man, I wish.  I think you know why too.

enon

« Reply #3 on: 02 Apr 2005, 00:45 »

Oh i wish i wish i wish i could. Its in flippin...California though. And that isn't so close to Vancouver Canada. Siiigh. Sasquatch festival is coming up though...i would like to attend that, but I dont know if i will be able to.
Hmph.

emor

« Reply #4 on: 02 Apr 2005, 02:07 »

went last year for the pixies, but a combination of:

heat
50,000 people
two dollars for a pint of water
13 hour one way drive

Made me want to die.   It was terrifying at points.  I was glad I saw the Pixies though.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #5 on: 02 Apr 2005, 10:31 »

Ha, I wish. Unfortunately it would require a sum of money the likes of which I've never seen.

Does the inclusion of Thrice on the bill strike anyone as a bit... out of place? I mean, unless they've turned into a smiling indie-pop band or something. I dunno, I'm a fan of Thrice, but looking at the list of bands kind of gave me a "one of these things is not like the others" feeling.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

ev0lve

« Reply #6 on: 02 Apr 2005, 16:14 »

Fuh. IWANTTO!
I MEAN... nin, BAUHAUS!!, new order, fiery furnaces, dresden dolls, etc... i want to so bad.
i would love to.
i have nobody to go with me.
i would fucking die if i went alone. seriously.
sad.sad.sad.

Oerdin

« Reply #7 on: 02 Apr 2005, 21:24 »

I'm going to go reguardless but I'm trying to convince a few guy who don't really know what Indie rock is that this place is awesome and that they should go.

muffy

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #8 on: 03 Apr 2005, 05:06 »

If anyone wants a limb or two of mine in exchange for plane and festival tickets, I'll go, but otherwise, I don;t think I can afford it :(

tigerlily

« Reply #9 on: 03 Apr 2005, 05:51 »

I'm the same as a lot of others here, I would absolutely give practically anything to go, but it's too far away to travel to.  The lineup is so delicious though... I nearly cried when I saw it.

KGBNick

« Reply #10 on: 03 Apr 2005, 08:57 »

Taking a massive roadtrip between your senior year of high school and freshman year of college seems so, uh, AMERICAN that I just might do it.

Oerdin

« Reply #11 on: 03 Apr 2005, 13:01 »

So far its just my best friend and I going but what we're thinking is going over the California Coast Range near Julian, camping out in Rancho Cuyamaca State Park then driving through Anza-Berrego Desert State Park, then going up the westside of the Salton Sea to Indio.  So far we're not sure where we're going to stay but supposedly there are lots of hotels and camping spots out that way.  I'm inclined to stay in a hotel with a nice comfy bed and AC but we'll have to see which of our friends are going and how much cash they want to spend.

I'm kind of excited as its been a while since I've gone camping so a nice camping trip into the mountains followed by two days of rocking Indie music sounds perfect.

Willis

« Reply #12 on: 03 Apr 2005, 14:29 »

Quote from: WonkoTehSane

I was there last year.  I'm not really into the whole jam-band scene so really Coachella suits my needs better, but Bonnaroo was really fun.  Some of my memories of the weekend:
one of our cars cracking its radiator (rental car thankfully) at 3 in the morning somewhere near Nashville on the drive down;  attempting to sleep around 8 am friday morning once we got there but realizing it was an oven inside the tent and just said screw it; the 45+ min walk from our campsite to the venue (alcohol made that better); the intense heat on the first day; the sun coming up at 5:30 am waking you up and figuring there's nothing better to do then start drinking.  Puking up 5 beers at 10 am, taking a break, and then rallying an hour later and being back in the game;  watching the rains come (and stay) teh afternoon and evening of day 2; oh the mud, the joyous mud that followed the rain; trying to sleep in a rain soaked sleeping bag the 2nd night and then moving to my van and not really sleeping; surviving the rain and mud again on day 3; watching cars (unsuccessfully) trying to drive through the mud; leaving and seeing a steady stream of wristbands on the highway all the way from tennessee through ohio; oh and the non-enforcement of the vast availability of a multitude of drugs and illegal substances.
Quite a fun time I must say.  :)

~~Willis

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: 03 Apr 2005, 14:51 »

It doesn't look too bad a line up. A few I wouldn't mind seeing, certainly, but not really that fussed. Especially as it's 3000 miles away.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Oerdin

« Reply #14 on: 03 Apr 2005, 14:54 »

Ok, for those of you who are not going which bands do you think are must see events and which ones should we pass on by?

tomgadd

« Reply #15 on: 03 Apr 2005, 20:41 »

I'm going Oerd... Blood Brothers, Fiery Furnaces, Arcade Fire, Futureheads all in one day? Fuck me...
Add Ratatat, and you've got a current top 5 most played list for me right now.
I'm only able to go to the second day though, so I have to miss Bloc Party and Rilo Kiley and stuff.
I'm pretty fucken excited, heh.

WonkoTehSane

« Reply #16 on: 03 Apr 2005, 21:05 »

Quote from: Willis
Quote from: WonkoTehSane

I was there last year.  I'm not really into the whole jam-band scene so really Coachella suits my needs better, but Bonnaroo was really fun.  Some of my memories of the weekend:
one of our cars cracking its radiator (rental car thankfully) at 3 in the morning somewhere near Nashville on the drive down;  attempting to sleep around 8 am friday morning once we got there but realizing it was an oven inside the tent and just said screw it; the 45+ min walk from our campsite to the venue (alcohol made that better); the intense heat on the first day; the sun coming up at 5:30 am waking you up and figuring there's nothing better to do then start drinking.  Puking up 5 beers at 10 am, taking a break, and then rallying an hour later and being back in the game;  watching the rains come (and stay) teh afternoon and evening of day 2; oh the mud, the joyous mud that followed the rain; trying to sleep in a rain soaked sleeping bag the 2nd night and then moving to my van and not really sleeping; surviving the rain and mud again on day 3; watching cars (unsuccessfully) trying to drive through the mud; leaving and seeing a steady stream of wristbands on the highway all the way from tennessee through ohio; oh and the non-enforcement of the vast availability of a multitude of drugs and illegal substances.
Quite a fun time I must say.  :)

~~Willis

Sounds like a great time indeed, lol. In the end, I'd probably dig Coachella more, but Bonnaroo is having some great music this year:

Modest Mouse
The Mars Volta
John Prine
My Morning Jacket
Kings of Leon
Iron and Wine
Rilo Kiley
Joanna Newsom
Ray LaMontagne
Secret Machines
M. Ward

I'm a neo/freak folk nut, so the presence of Sam Beam, Joanna Newsom, M. Ward, and Ray LaMontagne is likely to rock me into oblivion.

Of couse Gang of Four, Cocteau Twins, and Bauhaus all reuniting is something I'll regret missing for YEARS.

Oerdin

« Reply #17 on: 03 Apr 2005, 23:03 »

This fucking sucks.  :(

March 2005
COACHELLA REUNION PERFORMANCE CANCELLED

It is with deep regret that we confirm the news that Cocteau Twins, at the request of vocalist Elizabeth Fraser, have cancelled the planned reunion performance at this year's Coachella Festival on 30 April. No future plans for any reunion are currently being made. Our sincere thanks and apologies to all the fans and media who wrote to us expressing your enthusiasm and support.

jal-vani

« Reply #18 on: 03 Apr 2005, 23:47 »

i was in california when it was going on two years ago, and couldn't make it. i'd totally love to see it, but the thing is, this year's lineup, i'm seeing almost in its entirety, individually. we'll see what next year looks like.

Spencer

« Reply #19 on: 04 Apr 2005, 08:01 »

I've gone to a couple Coachella's. It's a good time, but the heat is terrifying. I'd like to go on sunday this year and see New Order, and even have a hotel room booked for the weekend, but I don't think I'm gonna make it this year.

Staplegun

« Reply #20 on: 04 Apr 2005, 09:11 »

God damn.

the only cool stuff arount my parts is the shitty damned Warped Tour.

jal-vani

« Reply #21 on: 04 Apr 2005, 11:40 »

Quote from: Oerdin
Ok, for those of you who are not going which bands do you think are must see events and which ones should we pass on by?

As far as bands I've seen who are going to be there,
Dude, you have to see the Dresden Dolls. A friggin' amazing show. SEE THEM.
NIN (obviously) puts on a good show. The Fragile tour was different from previous tours, but the album was vastly different from previous albums
Fantomas is straight up ROCK.
the Arcade Fire is pretty enjoyable.
Keane put on a good show, but I didn't like them in a festival setting. The energy was sucked right out of the crowd.

Willis

« Reply #22 on: 04 Apr 2005, 12:25 »

IF I was going these are the bands I wouldn't want to miss: Weezer, Wilco, Snow Patrol, Doves, Mercury Rev (even though his voice bugs me),  NIN, New Order, Arcade Fire, DJ Krush, British Sea Power,  Fiery Furnaces, Stereophonics, and teh Futureheads.

For those veterans of Coachella, I have one question for you: how was the bathroom situation there?  One thing that really (and I can't stress this enough) impressed me was the cleanliness of all of the port-o-pots at Bonnaroo last year.  It seems whenever I needed to take care of business I could go in and the places were pretty clean.  I could sit comfortably and do my thing.  It was definitely a perk to the whole weekend.

~~Willis

kilconey

• Emoticontraindication
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/kilconey/
« Reply #23 on: 04 Apr 2005, 12:40 »

Quote from: Staplegun
God damn.

the only cool stuff arount my parts is the shitty damned Warped Tour.

ditto on that.  if i wanted to see shit pop punk play in a parking lot, i'd hire people from my school for free.

i'm jealous of all who get to see coachella each year.  the line-up has never failed to seem spectacular.
say something funny.  like sloppy joe.

Oerdin

« Reply #24 on: 11 Apr 2005, 10:49 »

Thanks for the suggestions folks, I'll look at the schedule and see which ones I can fit in and which one's over lap.  There's so many stages that I'm sure some of the bands I'll want to see will be playing at the same time.  :(

I've also been told that British Sea Power puts on a hell of a show so I'll add them to the list.

mechorg

« Reply #25 on: 11 Apr 2005, 12:23 »

This will be my third year at Coachella, and i have no problems with the travel distance to the show.  The last couple years I flew down and this year i'm road-trippin' it for the first time.

I honestly can't say enough about the festival and i could fill pages with stories and great times had the last couple years.  Maybe I'll add more when I feel like typing and actually read everyone elses replies so far.

I will be there.  I will probably be there next year and every year after.  It also gives me a good excuse for a vacation in southern california. ;)

Anyone else that is going, feel free to hit me up.  Meeting new people is one of my favorite things about the festival.

mechorg

« Reply #26 on: 11 Apr 2005, 12:39 »

Quote from: Willis

For those veterans of Coachella, I have one question for you: how was the bathroom situation there?  One thing that really (and I can't stress this enough) impressed me was the cleanliness of all of the port-o-pots at Bonnaroo last year.  It seems whenever I needed to take care of business I could go in and the places were pretty clean.  I could sit comfortably and do my thing.  It was definitely a perk to the whole weekend.

~~Willis

As for that, the port-o-crappers seemed just fine with me.  No waiting in line, even.  However, I am a guy and can go pretty much anywhere I feel.  I heard some of the girls compaining about the smell, but thats because the company stopped by durning the day to each of the bathroom 'stations' for an emptying.

As for bands that i am making a note to see this year besides the big headliners:
Doves, Spoon, M83, Four Tet, Josh Wink, the Kills, UNKLE, Arcade Fire, Dresden Dolls, Fiery Furnaces, Aesop Rock, Autolux, the Bravery...

It is pretty hard to see everything you want if you like a lot of different music.  For those not familiar with the setup, they have 5 stages going almost simultaniously.  Set up and break down times are very quick and more than likely you will have a conflict in who to see and when.  I strongly recommend getting there early at least on the first day and try to snag a small setlist program because they disappear quick.

I'll also recommend seeing a band you've never heard of if you have the time.  There's a reason most of these bands are invited to the festival and I've gotten hooked on a lot of past unknowns just by randomly walking into one of the performance tents.

Sturge

« Reply #27 on: 11 Apr 2005, 14:56 »

haha, my friend went to Coachella last year and he brought back some random American girl who got over on a stolen credit card and lived off money sent over by her brother. She got deported -_-

I would love to go to Coachella last year, the line up was awesome. Shame I lacked funds and time though.

jus

Con game
« Reply #28 on: 11 Apr 2005, 15:34 »

Money's a little tight, but I think I can afford a day... or steal money for both. I'm having trouble deciding between day one and two, I'm leaning towards day two though.

I'm an OC resident so it's not inaccessible, unfortunately I'm one of those poor few carless souls... I'm conning my equally broke friends it's worth it as we speak!

Oerdin

« Reply #29 on: 11 Apr 2005, 21:12 »

If they like music then this will be as close to the holy grail as they're likely to get without a much longer trip.  I'd give you a lift but I'm driving from San Diego east on I8 and then up north on the freeway which runs next to the Salton Sea (I can't remember it's name right now... 167?).

yipjumpmusic

« Reply #30 on: 11 Apr 2005, 21:16 »

I WISH too...
Pages: [1]   Go Up