THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 05:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MAC USERS  (Read 6349 times)

James

MAC USERS
« on: 16 Apr 2005, 17:47 »

Is anyone else experiencing troubles since they downloaded 10.3.9? It's like, "Geez guys, I was going to get Tiger anyways, you don't have to fuck up my system. Geez".

I have an iBook G4.

lots of love,
James
x

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
MAC USERS
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2005, 18:13 »

Thanks for the heads up, James. I'll leave it off the G5 but put it on my powarbook and let you know if it's wonky for me.

Man isn't Tiger coming out in like two weeks anyway?

WHAT THE HELL APPLE
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

tehpie

MAC USERS
« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2005, 21:02 »

I didn't even know there was a 10.3.9 out yet. I'll have to see if it's worth a download.

EDIT: What's the deal with programs for Tiger? Because half of those programs they list I bet people can get without buying tiger. ie Safari RSS, quicktime 7. However, apple hasn't mentioned anything on their website, I don't think.

Even if I can just get quicktime 7, I'll feel that upgrading to 10.4 won't be worth it.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
MAC USERS
« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2005, 00:47 »

Yeah I am sort of not excited for Tiger, honestly. Woo a bunch of widgets I probably won't ever use.*

*: it should be noted that I thought this about Expose before I actually tried it out.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

MilkmanDan

MAC USERS
« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2005, 02:58 »

BUT OMG ITS GOT A FLASHLIGHT DASHBOARD CONFESSIONAL!!!!11one
I haven't upgraded to 10.3.9 yet, so I can't really help. My computer is broken pile of junk anyway, so I doubt I'd notice the difference.
Seriously, I try to run IRC + Firefox + Bittorrent + iTunes and my computer just cries. You can actually count the fucking cycles.

I dunno if I'll bother with tiger right now, I'm getting a shiny new powerbook in August, so I might just wait until then.

nickyandthefuture

• Curry sauce
    • http://www.bigorangecrayon.com
MAC USERS
« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2005, 09:53 »

I installed 10.3.9 on my PB G4 yesterday and I haven't found any problems yet...  It doesn't seem very different at all, really.  Safari got better, though.
Did you try doing the normal fix-weird-OS-X-problems stuff like repairing permissions?

I'm pretty excited about Spotlight.  If it works like they say it does, it could be pretty useful, since I have a lot of text documents and no organizational skills.  I'm nonplussed about the whole widgets thing, though.  Konfabulator has been out for a long time and I never bother to try it.  Updated Mail will be nice, though.
Blue or plain?
Sometimes orange.

Hoborg

MAC USERS
« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2005, 10:25 »

I've heard a lot of reports of people having problems with java after installing 10.3.9. Maybe try reinstalling java at the sun website? Also, if you have any plugins for safari like Acidsearch, those could be a problem, try removing those.

I'm not that excited about tiger.. they stole Konfabulator and made the search better, which I have never used anyway. Does it do anything else special? I won't get it until the apps I run require it.

johnnylaw

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
    • http://www.instantmessinger.net
MAC USERS
« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2005, 15:40 »

I installed 10.3.9 about an hour ago on my G4 Powerbook - I ran all of my favorite apps and haven't noticed a problem yet.

If you're running into issues - or worried about tanking your Mac with 10.3.9 - take a look here: http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20050415162734383
My coworker with a finicky TiBook reported it worked well for him.
"I never take any notice of what common people say, and I never interfere with what charming people do."

Matteh99

MAC USERS
« Reply #8 on: 17 Apr 2005, 18:57 »

Seriously, I try to run IRC + Firefox + Bittorrent + iTunes and my computer just cries. You can actually count the fucking cycles.

Check the number of page in / page outs in the activity monitor.  It is in the utilitys folder.  If you have a ton of them you need ram.  I got a 1.6 ghz imac and it was a dog on 256 megs of ram when I tried to run a few programs at once.  I added a gig of ram (probably over kill 512 probably would have done it) and now it never slows.

I haven't had any trouble with 10.3.9.  I suppose it would be smart to wait and see what other issues other people have before installing any updates.

Tiger does seem to have a bunch of cool things I don't know if I would spend 140 bucks for it but since I work at an apple reseller I get a NFR copy :-P.  Yes I am an annoying apple computer sales man who tries to sell you more ram and a printer..

Eric[/quote]

MilkmanDan

MAC USERS
« Reply #9 on: 18 Apr 2005, 07:35 »

No. My 512MB of RAM is not the problem. The problem is that my computer has a 450MHz G4 processor.
There are other problems as well, but that's the main one.

mosfet

MAC USERS
« Reply #10 on: 18 Apr 2005, 12:41 »

my 12" PB seems to be running just fine.  No plus or minus out of the 10.3.9.  not yet at least.
I havn't had the time to try WoW on there just yet, but I've been running lots of safari, iTunes, StreamRipperX, Freehand, and a bunch of misc apps.

I was really looking forward to Tiger and its automation app, cause that would really help with my morning ritual plus a few other things.  I had a script setup to dial VPN and change the ppp0 MTU size, but it wasn't perfect.  Of course thats all moot now, since our admin decided to upgrade the firewall and block PPTP VPN, so now I don't need it. :(

Actually, now that I think about it, I think the only problem I have is Norton Antivirus update isn't working anymore, but I can't remember if this started before the update or not. Anyone else have this issue?

Hoborg

MAC USERS
« Reply #11 on: 18 Apr 2005, 14:31 »

I read up on tiger, and yeah the automator thing sounds really cool. Dashboard is just a ripoff of konfabulator and spotlight seems a lot like quicksilver (which is the best free mac program ever, get it, omgwtf) but automator seems really sweet. Even with the student discount I doubt I'll buy tiger right away, though.

mosfet

MAC USERS
« Reply #12 on: 19 Apr 2005, 05:20 »

Here you go.

This is an article about the java/safari issues with 10.3.9

http://news.com.com/Java+glitch+hits+OS+X+update/2100-1016_3-5675631.html?tag=nefd.top

The article says to reinstall both the java update and security update.
Unfortunately the updater says I can't reinstall the java update since it doesn't need updating!

Fortunately the security update installed and seems to fix the "java -version" test.

I havn't yet tried a java enabled page since I don't go to any.
Pages: [1]   Go Up