THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AMD Athlon  (Read 9640 times)

Symp

• Emoticontraindication
AMD Athlon
« on: 05 Apr 2005, 13:10 »

Would someone care to explain to me what the speed of their current set of processers are in gigahertz?
It's kinda confusing me as im tring to find a new comp to buy.
Saying sorry isn't an excuse when you do something stupid on purpose

torg

AMD Athlon
« Reply #1 on: 05 Apr 2005, 13:32 »

well... ghz is not the best measure anymore... an athlon xp with let's say 2.8 ghz offers seriously less performance than a athlon 64 with only 2.0 ghz...

tangen

AMD Athlon
« Reply #2 on: 05 Apr 2005, 13:35 »

What are you looking at getting? I'm sure we could make some suggestions.

Symp

• Emoticontraindication
AMD Athlon
« Reply #3 on: 05 Apr 2005, 13:44 »

Anything cheap really, like 500 dollars or under, with decent speed.
Saying sorry isn't an excuse when you do something stupid on purpose

catflea

AMD Athlon
« Reply #4 on: 05 Apr 2005, 14:50 »

I've just bought a whole new system for £400,   with 256 ram (need to upgrade) and An AMD 64 3000 and I love it!

I woulda thought you could get the board and chipset for that under $500 easily

c1utch

AMD Athlon
« Reply #5 on: 05 Apr 2005, 17:18 »

@symp: $500 for just the proc?  or $500 for computer parts + case + monitor?

AMD Athalons are great processors.  I would reccomend somthing along the lines of a 64bit chip, it will be useful soon, and yea look at somthing like outpost.com for mobo+proc combo deals, they've got great ones.

I've had a 2500+ mobile in a deskop machine, and my friend has a 2800 A64, which he has pretty healthily bumped up in speed, as have I on the mobile.

japaneasy

AMD Athlon
« Reply #6 on: 05 Apr 2005, 20:56 »

AMDs are great processors.  IIRC, the speed listed for the Athlon XP (2100+, 2800+, etc) are the approximate equivalent to the Pentuim speeds.  So, the AMD chip may not ACTUALLY be running at 2.8GHz, but at the speed that is giving performance equivalent to a Pentuim running at 2.8GHz.  www.pricewatch.com is a great resource for finding computer parts.  I don't know about the 64 bit processors, I haven't kept up to speed on CPUs in a couple years.  College sucks the money right outta ya.  :(

Hoborg

AMD Athlon
« Reply #7 on: 05 Apr 2005, 20:57 »

AMD 64's are pretty awesome for the price. Check out some benchmarks before you buy. CPU clock speed itself (in Ghz) is pretty meaningless these days.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2330 (switch pages at bottom/middle of page to see graphs)

Also, newegg.com is ACE for computer part purchasing

mosfet

AMD Athlon
« Reply #8 on: 06 Apr 2005, 08:04 »

I lust for s939 A64 processors...  <drools>

now if only I could either have money fall from the sky on me, or suddenly have fans pay me for my art work, that'd be great...

Druid

AMD Athlon
« Reply #9 on: 06 Apr 2005, 16:39 »

Here is a link to the Tech Reports CPU Decoder. It lists specs for most of the current processors out on the market today for AMD and Intel.

Trinary

• Emoticontraindication
AMD Athlon
« Reply #10 on: 07 Apr 2005, 15:54 »

I'm soon planning on getting a Socket939 A64 3200, motherboard, and 6600GT PCI-Express video card, ripping the rest of the necessary parts from my existing machine, and it will come to a bit under $500, maybe somewhat more if I get a better, quieter power supply and a super silent CPU fan or something (noise in my current machine is driving me crazy, I will be going for silence this time around).  Should be a very nice little upgrade from the underclocked (really horrendously old motherboard) AthlonXP 2500 and ATI 9600 I am rocking right now.  

ATI rocks, no question about it, I've used them for my last 4 CPUs or so and have absolutely maximized the performance per dollar spent as a result.
UNF.

mosfet

AMD Athlon
« Reply #11 on: 07 Apr 2005, 16:03 »

I just picked up a Hyper48 heat sink.  talk about quiet + performance!
congrats on the purchase!  I wish I could do the same.

nihilist

AMD Athlon
« Reply #12 on: 08 Apr 2005, 07:31 »

AMD64 > 3500+ isn't worth it.  Price/performance ratio gets retarded.

Me, I'd go with a Pentium M + mobo + 1GB DDR.  In a mini-ATX format.  Small, fast, quiet.

mosfet

AMD Athlon
« Reply #13 on: 08 Apr 2005, 07:54 »

Still not cheap tho.
Pentium-M's are still rather expensive.

nihilist

AMD Athlon
« Reply #14 on: 08 Apr 2005, 09:28 »

Pentium M 745 (1.8GHz) - $400 CDN
DFI 855GME-MGF motherboard - $350 CDN
OCZ PC-3200 DDR400 Enhanced Latency 1GB - $223 CDN
Antec Lifestyle Overture MATX case - $132

One sweet fast quiet system: $1270 CDN (with 15% GST/PST tax - for Ontario residents)

Figure $900 US (conversion and no pesky taxes).  Not bad at all.

mosfet

AMD Athlon
« Reply #15 on: 08 Apr 2005, 10:42 »

I almost forgot, there's that adapter that lets you put a p-M cpu on a cheaper s478 motherboard with faster/better parts.

so that lowers the price even more.  It will be even nicer when the p-M proces lower to more on par with AMD and 4 prices tho.

p-M is what the p4 should have been.  All they needed is p-M with SSE3 and competitive prices, and AMD might not have spanked them so hard, if at all.

nihilist

AMD Athlon
« Reply #16 on: 08 Apr 2005, 10:50 »

Heh, go search for Yonah.

Or, read this: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/02/intel_yonah_gaming/

Trinary

• Emoticontraindication
AMD Athlon
« Reply #17 on: 08 Apr 2005, 11:02 »

There was a LOT of talk about improving threading and parellelism at SDWest in response to the coming short-pipeline, multi-core evolution of CPUs.  Everyone is releasing some form of multi-core CPU this year or early next.

In test fabs for Intel's 4-and-up GHz architectures, they were making  pipeline stages with no logic in them because the amount of physical distance a signal can cover in one clock cycle is becoming significant and super long pipelines is the only way they can make sure a signal is at the right place at the right time...and long pipelines are slow and easy to stall or starve.  Intel has pretty much abandoned their plans for 5Ghz chips.

Multi-core is the way it will all go.  And that's cool with me...we just need to write software that can deal with it.  CAS is neat.
UNF.

nihilist

AMD Athlon
« Reply #18 on: 08 Apr 2005, 11:13 »

I grabbed my first dual-processor workstation back in 98, and have been harassing about threads pretty much ever since.  Hopefully developers, especially game developers, will do some learning.  They should, especially given the new setup for the next Xbox and the PS3.  Here's to hoping...

c1utch

AMD Athlon
« Reply #19 on: 09 Apr 2005, 15:26 »

Quote from: nihilist
Pentium M 745 (1.8GHz) - $400 CDN
DFI 855GME-MGF motherboard - $350 CDN
OCZ PC-3200 DDR400 Enhanced Latency 1GB - $223 CDN
Antec Lifestyle Overture MATX case - $132

One sweet fast quiet system: $1270 CDN (with 15% GST/PST tax - for Ontario residents)

Figure $900 US (conversion and no pesky taxes).  Not bad at all.

no gpu? soundcard? 3rd party HSF? PSU? HDD or CD/DVD drives?

nihilist

AMD Athlon
« Reply #20 on: 09 Apr 2005, 19:31 »

GPU, that's up to the person.  Sound is built-in. 3rd-party HSF is a personal choice, not a requirement, especially with the Pentium Ms.  PSU comes with the case.  HDD and CD/DVD is also up to the user.  I've got most of that stuff lying around, so I don't bother to include it.  I just drop what I have in this box into the next one.

c1utch

AMD Athlon
« Reply #21 on: 09 Apr 2005, 22:38 »

ehhh using built in sound tends to bog down the system, and a PSU that comes with a case is not somthing I like to do myself.  Also, I suppose if you're using a pentium-m its alright w/o a hsf, but if its an OEM chip of any kind, you'll need one anyway.  Besides, amds run hot, so i'd beef up my cooling anyway, esp if bumping it up a bit.

thats all i had to do on my last comp too, just move my HDDs over.  I could kept a lot more, but its so much more fun with new stuff :)

nihilist

AMD Athlon
« Reply #22 on: 09 Apr 2005, 22:45 »

Well, the Antec case that I chose came with a 380W PSU, which is overkill for a Pentium M.  They draw so very little power, and emit so very little heat.  Mmm.

I generally buy new parts for my system with some regularity, minus the CPU/mobo/RAM.  Those I generally abuse for about two years.  My current system is only a year old, but it is at the end of the upgrade path.  I'm tempted to spend about $400 on putting an AMD64 3200+ in, because then it's just a simple swap out of the mobo/CPU.  And since I'm running a watercooled rig, it means that I can bump out some nice speed increases.  I figure I can get it into 4000+ territory pretty easily.

infract

AMD Athlon
« Reply #23 on: 19 Apr 2005, 11:30 »

Tom's Hardware big guide on AMD Athlon processors

I own an Athlon 64 3200+ (actual clock speed 2211MHz) and it's great. Looking forward to 64 bit windows, but when I'm running Linux in 64 bit mode, it really shines

I also own a laptop with an Athlon xp-mobile 2200+ CPU. it's good, but gets really noisy and spews heat like a tea-kettle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up