THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 00:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jimmy eat world  (Read 6501 times)

catflea

Jimmy eat world
« on: 05 Apr 2005, 14:48 »

Ok,  I'm listening to 'The Lock Up' on radio 1.   Which is supposed to be a kinda punk show and they have Jimmy eat world playing live - this can't be correct surely?

However I'd forgotten how good JEW actually are - they are one of the best gigs I've seen, and one of the wrst festival slots.  

Whats your stance on em?

Cpt.Fantastic

Jimmy eat world
« Reply #1 on: 05 Apr 2005, 14:57 »

Eh heh,

Jimmy Eat SHIT more like

*Guffaw*

kilconey

• Emoticontraindication
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/kilconey/
Jimmy eat world
« Reply #2 on: 05 Apr 2005, 15:30 »

i like em.  quality songs but i don't own any records.
say something funny.  like sloppy joe.

El Opium

Jimmy eat world
« Reply #3 on: 05 Apr 2005, 16:27 »

I don't mean to be a pretenscious snob but....*barfs profusely and passes out on the floor sickened*

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
Jimmy eat world
« Reply #4 on: 05 Apr 2005, 16:47 »

I'm pretty much on the fence on this one. I like some of the stuff they put out there, but the poppy sound of it kinda makes me leery on them.
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

Empty Friend

Jimmy eat world
« Reply #5 on: 05 Apr 2005, 18:00 »

They know how to play their instruments and are mostly successful at not falling into the emo woe is me nonsense.  If one of their songs is depressing, it's not because of "my life sucks, blah blah"  it's the story the song tells... and on that note I will say their second major label album isn't as good as Bleed American

Sixleaf

Jimmy eat world
« Reply #6 on: 05 Apr 2005, 19:14 »

Nooooooo!
Okay, a couple songs are alright.

yipjumpmusic

Jimmy eat world
« Reply #7 on: 05 Apr 2005, 22:53 »

*agrees*

Druid

Jimmy eat world
« Reply #8 on: 05 Apr 2005, 23:21 »

I'm indifferent about them.
They're not really interesting.

trashed20

Jimmy eat world
« Reply #9 on: 06 Apr 2005, 04:22 »

Clarity is a masterpiece, and thats all I have to say.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Jimmy eat world
« Reply #10 on: 06 Apr 2005, 04:46 »

Quote from: Druid
I'm indifferent about them.
They're not really interesting.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

ASturge

Jimmy eat world
« Reply #11 on: 06 Apr 2005, 05:18 »

Quote from: trashed20
Clarity is a masterpiece, and thats all I have to say.

i heartily agree, dont talk anymore from now on

A Little Quacky

Jimmy eat world
« Reply #12 on: 06 Apr 2005, 05:55 »

I like um, but then I listen to many things. Not sure if I would ever pay money for one of their cd's (my copy of bleed american is a burned copy of my friends copy) but I'll pop it in if I need a bit of a mood lifter.

Praeserpium Machinarum

Jimmy eat world
« Reply #13 on: 06 Apr 2005, 07:25 »

I like some of Futures, but most of their lyrics are so juvenile and plain that it makes me cringe, songs called Work and Drugs and Pain etc.
However they play mean powerpop, but I can't imagine anything less punk than them...

blindsuperhero

Jimmy eat world
« Reply #14 on: 06 Apr 2005, 08:03 »

I like them, in a distanced, they're quite silly and should never be taken seriously but are quite fun/nice to listen to every now and again kind of way. Yes their lyrics are rubbish, but then so were The Beatles'.

(minus one bajillion scene points for comparing Jimmy Eat World to The Beatles)

Mockery

Jimmy eat world
« Reply #15 on: 06 Apr 2005, 08:03 »

I like Jimmy Eat World's cover of Prodigy - Firestarter. I hadn't heard the original when i first heard this cover either. It was on a NME release i think...

deborah

Jimmy eat world
« Reply #16 on: 16 Jun 2005, 09:11 »

the unfortunate thing about jimmy eat world is that they used to have credibility.  they *were* a pop punk band, and the first album they put out on wooden blue was awesome.  i'm not sure if mitch leaving the band was because of the music change, or if picking up rick as the new bassist brought about the change.  i never got a straight answer to that question the entire time i was living in feenix.

they are some of the nicest guys on the face of the earth, and they know how to throw a mean martini/cocktail party, but dammit.  ever since bleed american came out, i've been losing respect for them because their music SUCKS now.

Mikintosh

• Emoticontraindication
Jimmy eat world
« Reply #17 on: 16 Jun 2005, 11:26 »

Quote from: Mockery
I like Jimmy Eat World's cover of Prodigy - Firestarter. I hadn't heard the original when i first heard this cover either. It was on a NME release i think...

Yessssss, about to just mention that I was. Actually, I liked the cover way better than the original, but that's probably just me.

Merkava

Jimmy eat world
« Reply #18 on: 16 Jun 2005, 14:20 »

Quote from: Empty Friend
They know how to play their instruments and are mostly successful at not falling into the emo woe is me nonsense.  If one of their songs is depressing, it's not because of "my life sucks, blah blah"  it's the story the song tells... and on that note I will say their second major label album isn't as good as Bleed American

I listened to that album over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...

deborah

Jimmy eat world
« Reply #19 on: 16 Jun 2005, 14:27 »

to empty friend:

their first major label album was called "static prevails"
second was "clarity" and the third was "bleed american"
with the fourth being that crappy "futures" lp.
did you really mean to shit on clarity?  cuz i thought that was way better than bleed american

saturnine1979

Jimmy eat world
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jun 2005, 01:41 »

Clarity was a masterpiece, indeed.

Bleed American was some good powerpop.

Futures is meh... way too mopey. And overproduced. Some of the songs sound a lot better on the demos cd they included with album.

Maui

Jimmy eat world
« Reply #21 on: 17 Jun 2005, 17:04 »

Eh well i love them. I have clarity, bleed american and Futures and i think they're all great. Every bands sound changes over time.....they have to or else it gets boring. I thought Futures was kinda dull at first but if you listen to it a lot more, it tends to grow on you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up