THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advanced FFX Help  (Read 11071 times)

The Mighty Mopdecai

Advanced FFX Help
« on: 06 Apr 2005, 16:23 »

Hi I'm new here I need some help with FFX I wonder if you guys might be able to help me out.
1. Is there any way to get Anima by Customise (ing) weapons that you would get in the trails I can't get in to some of the trails now the Dark Aeons are blocking the way.
2. Has anyone here actually defeated Nemesis or any of the Dark Aeons
3. Should I buy FF X-2

Finally I only got the last boss to go and the clock is at 91 hours I reeached him in about 85 can anyone do any better

Mr. Glitch

Advanced FFX Help
« Reply #1 on: 06 Apr 2005, 20:39 »

1. Nope. Sorry. Should've gotten the Destruction Sphere stuff handled first before the Dark Aeons appeared.

2. Don't have the version of the game with the Dark Aeons myself, but I did defeat Nemesis. It's a rather dull battle.

3. Depends on what you enjoy. FFX-2 is a very different game with a huge emphasis on weird side quests, a fast-paced active-time battle system, and a very silly storyline.

Digs

Advanced FFX Help
« Reply #2 on: 07 Apr 2005, 15:12 »

No, yes, maybe. I dunno if you can best Nemesis without all of your aeons, they're important. They exist to soak hits.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
Advanced FFX Help
« Reply #3 on: 07 Apr 2005, 19:12 »

1: Anima is not acquired through customising weaponry or anthing, he's acquired by accessing all the hidden locations in all the main temples in the game. If you fail to do this the first time round, then in two cases - Besaid and Macalania - you will have to fight dark aeons in order to access the temples. once you have used the destruction spheres to find the hidden areas in Besaid, Kilika, Djose, Macalania, Bevelle and Zanarkand (you'll have to return to Zanarkand a second time to do that) simply find the temple of Baaj (the sunken ruins from the start of the game) using the navigation screen of the airship and looking in the south-western sea until a new destination appears on the list. go there, activate all the glyphs, and Yuna will be able to pray to the faythe for Anima.

If you fail to access all of those hidden chambers the first time around, then the chambers at Kilika, Djose and Zanarkand can all be safely visited, but Macalania and Besaid are guarded by dark aeons, and you can never revisit the temple at Bevelle after acquiring Bahamut, so make sure you clean the place out the first time through.

I think what you're referring to in your post, however, is getting hold of Auron's ultimate weapon. To do this, you need to get up Mushroom rock road, yeah? it is possible to get past the group who summon those dark aeons by hugging the extreme left of the path as you move past them. Stay far enough left, and you won't get close enough to trigger that fight sequence.

2: I've defeated all the dark aeons bar Dark Anima and Dark Yojimbo, although I confess that this is not due to any particular skill on my part - I just summoned Yojimbo and prayed for a "Zanmato" attack every time. This tactic will probably work on Penance as well (the boss you get to fight after defeating the dark aeons) but I haven't got so far as to try it yet. It's more luck than skill, frankly.

The key to getting Zanmato on a regular basis is this - mercenary points. the more kills Yojimbo scores against powerful opponents, and the more you pay him, the more points he'll accumulate. Being stingy with the gil, sending him up against inferior fiends, letting him be defeated, and not using him very often will lead to a small number of mercenary points, leading to weak attacks such as Daigoro. Paying him loads, presiding over victories against honourable, strong opponents, making use of his services and summoning him with a full overdrive guage will lend to his mercenary points. The more points he has, the more powerful the attack he will use. Send him up against potent fiends to build up the number of mercenary points, Grand Summon him, pay him at least ten thousand gil, and the odds are better than 90% you'll get a Zanmato. If you don't, go away, beat up a few powerful fiends, come back and try again.

Towards the end of the game, when you're actually looking to fight dark aeons, you really should be so powerful that the only places in which to coach Yojimbo's skills are Sin, and the Omega Dungeon. Otherwise, the fiends are too weak and his supply of mercenary points will slow to a trickle.

unfortunately, the game gives you no feedback on how many points he has, nor how likely he is to perform a given attack, so it's more intuition and practice than an exact science.

I did, however, succeed in beating Dark Ifrit without resorting to that tactic - I pounded him with every Aeon overdrive going (with the obvious exceptions of Ifrit's and Yojimbo's), and then brought Auron, Tidus and Yuna forward, using their ultimate weapons, and shields with Auto-phoenix, auto-haste and SOS overdrive. Yuna's role was, basically, to maintain as many "auto-life" spells on everyone as she could. It was a close-run thing, but I eventually did take him down by smacking him with every overdrive I could manage whenever it became available ("Blitz Ace", in particular, is invaluabl - with a maxed out strength stat, Tidus will cause about 100,000 damage every time it's used, assuming you pull it off well. Auron's "Tornado" is also useful.)

3: I enjoy FFX-2, although it is a much different game -cuter, less serious, and much less plot-driven. One of its strengths is that the combat system is, I think, somewhat better. We see the return of ATG bars, for one thing, and the "dressphere" system - in which you assign multiple classes to the characters, which they can switch between as the situation dictates - is much better than the Sphere Grid of FFX.

Speaking of which - some hints:

One of the side-effects of the sphere grid is that characters can go wandering outside of their own disciplines, or use special spheres to learn a few extra skills. One of the most powerful (I found) applications of this is that, if you train pretty hard, you should be able to divert Yuna off the white mage path for a little while somewhere around about the Mi'ihen highroad, and have her learn the level 2 black magic spells - Fira, Thundara etc.

This is an incredibly good idea - as a white mage/summoner, Yuna's "Magic" stat is significantly higher than Lulu's at that stage in the game, even if the two are of a similar standard. meaning that, when outfitted with black magic, Yuna does much more damage with the same spells than Lulu does. This means that you get a combination black/white mage/summoner - a deadly combination truly befitting a summoner, as Yuna becomes able to scour fiends from her path, heal her guardians AND bring the aeons in to fight. You effectively eliminate the need for Lulu on the lineup at all, and can safely leave Yuna up there in front, secure in the knowledge that she can actually pull her own weight.

second - Wakka and Kimahri are basically useless. Kimahri is actually dismally weak, having no kind of a defined role at all, and with sufficient training, Tidus quite happily fills the bug/bird-killing role that Wakka theoretically assumes. Of the two, Wakka is the more useful, but once Auron arrives there really is no reason to keep either of these two on the front line.

Rikku - Don't underestimate the little one. Some of those machina can really hurt, especially if you're running low on hit points, but she can take any of them down in one hit. also, if you manage to find a good way of charging her overdrive guage up faster, "combine" is really neat. I reccomend combining grenades (which are essentially useless after Macalania anyway) with spheres to produce blasting mines, which do a bit more damage, but also blind and silence anything that's not immune to those two effects. Also consider using a few spare special spheres to give her access to some black, white and supportive magic (I favour drain, cura, flare, the four "nul"s, reflect, hastega, doublecast, osmose and maybe holy)

most importantly, however - completely ignore her ultimate weapon, and instead have her imbue a somewhat more basic weapon with properties such as "sensor", "First Strike", "Auto-haste" and (my personal favourites) "Stonetouch", "Stonestrike", "Deathtouch" or "Deathstrike".

Tidus and Auron - The two most powerful characters in the game. A little piece of advice for Tidus - if you're playing on the advanced sphere grid, Tidus' starting position is very close to Rikku's. I advise taking some time out to ahve him nip over and grab "Steal" and "use" - you should be able to achieve this before the end of the Kilika chapter. Also importantly- regardless of which grid you're using, Tidus's last reccomended skill on the grid is within easy striking distance of Auron's suggested path... along with all those juicy "Strenght +4" nodes. move him in there after completing his own path, and Tidus will quickly come to rival and, indeed, match Auron in destructive potential (more so, in fact - he's faster and more accurate, and his best overdrive move does waaaay more damage). Don't be stingy with Tidus' overdrive moves - he learns new overdrive moves by executing overdrives (success optional) so have him wig out on his enemies as often as possible, so as to learn "energy rain" and "blitz ace" as soon as possible.

Where auron goes after completing his reccomended path is up to you, really, but I'd advise sending him to go explore Tidus' realm - he really needs the extra speed and accuracy that's available in there. Avoid magic like the plague, though - he needs those MP.

Towards the end of the game, my chosen lineup consists exclusively of Yuna, Tidus and Auron - who are, after all, the main characters - and the rest are largely just hangers-on (less so in Rikku's case). Have them train long and hard enough in the Omega dungeon and they'll quickly begin to really rock. ultimate weapons and auto-phoenix armour all the way, and they become well-nigh unstoppable.

good hunting!
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

Digs

Advanced FFX Help
« Reply #4 on: 07 Apr 2005, 20:00 »

Anima is a lady.

Wakka starts pretty securely crappy, but he can be the most singularly horrifying physical attacker in your lineup once you get Attack Slots. And you're very right, Yuna is probably the most valuable member of your party pretty much all through the game. You can avoid the time it takes to go through Lulu's mediocre-at-best grid if you just use Lulu for a little while and invest a black magic sphere or two in Yuna. The downshot of that, of course, is that you're a little bit boned if you wind up against an enemy that absorbs either/both of the black magics. By the time you reach a point where that'll be a real issue, level 2 black magics will be obselete. You'll probably have holy anyway, and it'll make that a nonissue.

You might consider investing in auto-protect and shell, as they will save the crap out of your life.

japaneasy

Advanced FFX Help
« Reply #5 on: 08 Apr 2005, 05:45 »

OOOOH FFX topic!

On the sphere grid-
I recently started playing again, using the advanced grid, and WOW it is so much better.  I totally agree with diverting Yuna down the Black Magic path, she deals out damage like it's going outta style.  The rest of them I've done a bit differently...  I took Lulu to grab the more important White Magic spells (Cura, Life, etc) along with Rikku.  Very early on, you can divert Rikku to the White Magic path, and she actually does rather well going that route.  I took Kimahri down the Black Magic path, and, combined with his Overdrives and Lancet ability, he's actually pretty powerful.  Doublecast is an extremely useful ability, if you get Rikku to cook up some items with the 'One MP' thingie.
Tidus is pretty straightforward, although I've been trying to add as many status attacks as I can to his arsenal.  Auron's the same deal, although I also diverted him to pick up some agility/speed/etc stuff along the way.  Wakka's my gimp.  I bring him in to charge up his Overdrive and usually let him diddle hisself until I'm fighting something with a large elemental weakness, rip off the Overdrive, and back under the stairs with him.

FFX-2:  The only good thing about this game was sitting there, making them change outfits over and over and over again for 30 minutes straight.  I give it a 3/10.  YMMV.

Mr. Glitch

Advanced FFX Help
« Reply #6 on: 08 Apr 2005, 08:48 »

Quote from: Switchblade
I think what you're referring to in your post, however, is getting hold of Auron's ultimate weapon. To do this, you need to get up Mushroom rock road, yeah? it is possible to get past the group who summon those dark aeons by hugging the extreme left of the path as you move past them. Stay far enough left, and you won't get close enough to trigger that fight sequence.

I think what Mighty Mopdecai meant was whether one can customize equivalent versions of weapons obtained by using the destruction spheres at Besaid and Macalania and thereby avoid having to futz around with the cloisters at all--which obviously doesn't work.

The key to getting Zanmato on a regular basis is this - mercenary points. the more kills Yojimbo scores against powerful opponents, and the more you pay him, the more points he'll accumulate. Being stingy with the gil, sending him up against inferior fiends, letting him be defeated, and not using him very often will lead to a small number of mercenary points, leading to weak attacks such as Daigoro. Paying him loads, presiding over victories against honourable, strong opponents, making use of his services and summoning him with a full overdrive guage will lend to his mercenary points. The more points he has, the more powerful the attack he will use. Send him up against potent fiends to build up the number of mercenary points, Grand Summon him, pay him at least ten thousand gil, and the odds are better than 90% you'll get a Zanmato. If you don't, go away, beat up a few powerful fiends, come back and try again.

Towards the end of the game, when you're actually looking to fight dark aeons, you really should be so powerful that the only places in which to coach Yojimbo's skills are Sin, and the Omega Dungeon. Otherwise, the fiends are too weak and his supply of mercenary points will slow to a trickle.

unfortunately, the game gives you no feedback on how many points he has, nor how likely he is to perform a given attack, so it's more intuition and practice than an exact science.

Actually it is pretty much an exact science, and you've got a bit of it wrong. There's just a lot of random chance obscuring the underlying mechanics. Find all you need to know about our favorite ronin Aeon here: http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/final_fantasy_x_yojimbo_a.txt

Areckahn

Advanced FFX Help
« Reply #7 on: 08 Apr 2005, 10:10 »

Quote from: Digs

Wakka starts pretty securely crappy, but he can be the most singularly horrifying physical attacker in your lineup once you get Attack Slots.

With his easily acquirable ultimate weapon, and attack reels, he is capable of 1.2 Million Damage in a single move, so I'm inclined to agree here.

Mr. Glitch

Advanced FFX Help
« Reply #8 on: 08 Apr 2005, 10:54 »

Quote from: Areckahn
Quote from: Digs

Wakka starts pretty securely crappy, but he can be the most singularly horrifying physical attacker in your lineup once you get Attack Slots.

With his easily acquirable ultimate weapon, and attack reels, he is capable of 1.2 Million Damage in a single move, so I'm inclined to agree here.

Indeed he is. That made some of those Arena creations much easier, let me tell you. The only things that can compete with Wakka for sheer maximum damage output in one turn are Passado (which is randomly selected and thus unreliable) and FFX International's multi-hit version of Oblivion--and neither of those will help you against Shinryuu.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
Advanced FFX Help
« Reply #9 on: 08 Apr 2005, 16:44 »

Eh. Unfortunately, I really suck at both blitzball and getting the damned reels to line up properly. That's probably why I'm advocating Tidus and Auron as being better - because I've never managed to use Wakka properly

but seriously... what is the POINT behind Kimahri? he's just no fun to use. If his fiend-grabbed abilities were available on the main menu rather than being the weakest, most crappy-ass overdrive moves in the game, and he had something nicely powerful on the overdrive menu instead (nothing drastic - just a super-powerful attack with no damage limit, perhaps) THEN he'd have a purpose. as it is, he's the guy you put up front if you need a spare potion-slinger in a tight spot.

Mr. Glitch

Advanced FFX Help
« Reply #10 on: 08 Apr 2005, 18:52 »

Quote from: Switchblade

Eh. Unfortunately, I really suck at both blitzball and getting the damned reels to line up properly. That's probably why I'm advocating Tidus and Auron as being better - because I've never managed to use Wakka properly

but seriously... what is the POINT behind Kimahri? he's just no fun to use. If his fiend-grabbed abilities were available on the main menu rather than being the weakest, most crappy-ass overdrive moves in the game, and he had something nicely powerful on the overdrive menu instead (nothing drastic - just a super-powerful attack with no damage limit, perhaps) THEN he'd have a purpose. as it is, he's the guy you put up front if you need a spare potion-slinger in a tight spot.

The main advantage to Kimahri is that he's a wildcard. If you're playing the game normally, without powerlevelling or Arena bosses or Dark Aeons or whatever, you can make Kimahri into a spare of whatever type of character you want... another black mage, another heavy physical fighter, whatever. His Blue Magic Overdrive works with this, having the typically Blue Mage-ish range of options.

The resulting downside is that if you want to optimize the characters to get all you can from there, he's not particularly good at anything.

ASturge

Advanced FFX Help
« Reply #11 on: 09 Apr 2005, 03:24 »

heres the thing

FF7 FF8 FF9 and most of all FF6 kick FF10's ass!!!!!!

why are you even playing this game, tis crap!. Go download yourself a copy of FF6 off romnation.net, its my fave game ever and easily the best final fantasy (if you can get past the old school graphics)

Areckahn

Advanced FFX Help
« Reply #12 on: 09 Apr 2005, 08:26 »

I've played FF6, it was uninspired compared to both FF5 and FF7. My personal opinion is that FFX is on a par with FF8, sitting just below FF7, with FF9 and FF6 somewhere below that.

ASturge

Advanced FFX Help
« Reply #13 on: 09 Apr 2005, 08:33 »

fair enough, Chrono Trigger rocks my sock though

i just downloaded it and played it for about 3 hours straight.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Advanced FFX Help
« Reply #14 on: 09 Apr 2005, 13:08 »

FF8 is abysmal. Probably the worst FF game ever made.

FF6 was faaaaantastic though.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
Advanced FFX Help
« Reply #15 on: 09 Apr 2005, 16:24 »

enough with the "FF# was great FF@ is crap" talk, yeah? it's been done to death. everyone has their own opinion

ASturge

Advanced FFX Help
« Reply #16 on: 09 Apr 2005, 16:26 »

im going to ignore you and scream

"FF8 IS GOOD, SO STOP YOUR SILLYNESS!!!!"

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
Advanced FFX Help
« Reply #17 on: 09 Apr 2005, 20:33 »

Sturge: shut up. This is not the thread for that sort of thing.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

ASturge

Advanced FFX Help
« Reply #18 on: 10 Apr 2005, 16:45 »

i apologise

The Mighty Mopdecai

Ha ha Jecht is beaten
« Reply #19 on: 11 Apr 2005, 05:24 »

Well, I did it today and i was asking if the weapons could be made and then used in Baaj Temple to 'beat' the system.
I was also wondering if you don't get Anima you can't get the Magus sisters right.

.....and if you wondering
I have now finished FF6,7,8,9 and 10
On to X-2. I think.
Going on ebay right now

Mr. Glitch

Re: Ha ha Jecht is beaten
« Reply #20 on: 11 Apr 2005, 19:30 »

Quote from: The Mighty Mopdecai
Well, I did it today and i was asking if the weapons could be made and then used in Baaj Temple to 'beat' the system.
I was also wondering if you don't get Anima you can't get the Magus sisters right.

No, you have to do the destruction sphere puzzles. You'll need to replay the game or beat the Dark Aeons if you want to get Anima or the Magus Sisters. Sorry. :(

Also, I still maintain that FF14 sucks. It's clearly the worst game in the series. Yup.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
Advanced FFX Help
« Reply #21 on: 12 Apr 2005, 07:10 »

For anima, you need to complete the destruction sphere puzzles. The only one that's totally inaccessible if you don't get it first time round is Bevelle, otherwise, they're all accessible on a second visit - though you need to defeat dark aeons at Macalania and Besaid if you didn't complete the puzzles there the first time.

Getting the magus sisters requires nothing like that - just get to the hidden temple (at the far south-east of the Calm Lands, ride a chocobo to hop across this little crack in the earth) get in there, and beat the weird summoner lady who keeps challenging you with all of your aeons - she'll give you items that will let you take down the shield that stops you getting to the Fayth.

I don't THINK you need to have gotten anima in order to get the magus sisters, but I could be wrong.

Digs

Advanced FFX Help
« Reply #22 on: 12 Apr 2005, 07:30 »

I'm fairly sure you need to best Professor von Summonerpants's Anima, too.

Mr. Glitch

Advanced FFX Help
« Reply #23 on: 12 Apr 2005, 13:27 »

That's correct. Unless you have Anima and Yojimbo, you won't be able to challenge hers, and won't be able to get the Magus Sisters.
Pages: [1]   Go Up