- 32 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: 06 Apr 2005, 23:29

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Manga  (Read 23963 times)

lingy

Manga
« on: 06 Apr 2005, 23:29 »

Manga is basically a comic book, japanese style. You may or may not have heard about it, and im guessing that even if you have, you're not interested.

Although i did see some with avatars...of anime

It's kind of an asian thing XD.

Anyways. Manga is basically what I obsess over, so there's not really very much web comics unless you count doushinji. In which case my Japanese kanji reading ability is very limited.

If your interested theres generally a small shelf with a limited amount of mangas found in bookstores...or if you live in USA there's the adult swim block on cartoon network...like 10 pm-4 am.

quite good actually.

Inuyasha !! w00t.

and Samurai Champloo is coming!.
I hope they don't botch it up too much.

torg

Manga
« Reply #1 on: 07 Apr 2005, 00:50 »

you're mixing manga and anime... the movies are called anime ;)

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Manga
« Reply #2 on: 07 Apr 2005, 02:40 »

Yes, he is, but with that said, I have the first six Ruroni Kenshin graphic novels (I actually mean comics books, but I have been told that I'm wrong and there is a difference), and the first two Trigun ones.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Phrozen

Manga
« Reply #3 on: 07 Apr 2005, 06:48 »

I guess I'm missing where he confuses the two since Inuyasha and Samurai Champloo are both mangas... Unless he doesn't know that.

That being said, I like manga! Or some at least... Bleach has been my recent big thing as well as Mahoromatic. I also just picked up (sorry I have to type this as romanji) Kyukochan which is awesome in that its by the artist of FLCL!

Other manga I have and love are Tuxedo Gin, Magic Knights Rayearth, ummm.... I don't have that much... wierd.

mosfet

Manga
« Reply #4 on: 07 Apr 2005, 12:39 »

I grew up with Doraemon, What's Michael, and a few others.
Having a Japanese mother made monthly visits to San Francisco's Japan Town a mandatory trip, which included going to Kinokunya, a veritable pleasure palace of Japanese lettering, arts, and Mech/Model/Weapon magazines!

There were also some cool ones I got in Japan about a ramen maker, one about a kid who hung around Japanese ghosties and spirits (much cooler than American ones), and a boxing series.

Digs

Manga
« Reply #5 on: 07 Apr 2005, 15:23 »

Some manga is very wonderful. Sequential art is wonderful.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Manga
« Reply #6 on: 07 Apr 2005, 16:33 »

I like some manga, I tend to like more esoteric stuff.

I don't know what it is but I find my self annoyed by the term sequential art.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
Manga
« Reply #7 on: 07 Apr 2005, 18:23 »

Quote from: people
he, he, he

you're all confusing lingy with a guy.  she's a lady.

mosfet

Manga
« Reply #8 on: 08 Apr 2005, 06:01 »

I for one, did not confuse her for the Tom Jones song. :P

japaneasy

Manga
« Reply #9 on: 08 Apr 2005, 07:26 »

mmm....  my complete Akira collection.  best. gift. ever.  Being able to read the sound fx in NGE manga...  best. geek-chick-magnet. ever.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
Manga
« Reply #10 on: 08 Apr 2005, 17:55 »

I'm kind of on the wagon, really. two years ago I would have been "w00t! yeah! manga! I'm sooo down with that!"

now... I don't know, it just doesn't work any longer. I'm tired of an endless series of gravity-defying purple hair cuts, vibrating eyes the size of CD's, comic deformations and ESPECIALLY those goddamned nosebleeds they get.

I can't draw the stuff, but I can tell you what it's all like - guys are either morons who obsess on the hot girls, get nosebleeds whenever they see the least little bit of leg, fall over a lot and cry when they do so, or else they're tall, dark, silent, mysterious and ooze a curious kind of romantic, effeminate masculinity as if they've been fitted with some kind of gland.

The girls are all either skinny teenagers with big guns and short skirts, dark-haired sexual predators, or big-breasted nudists with an inexplicable shy streak.

and let's not forget the hyperspace mallet, the obligatory demon/angel/alien/animal/vampire half-breed, the weird bloke/chick who inexplicably turns up standing on lampposts/walls/helicopters, the comical ugly dwarf sidekick, and the fact that EVERYONE in japan is apparently a ninja.

For the most part, it's too formulaic for my tastes.

There are exceptions, of course - mould-breakers, examples that don't fit the standard. Generally, they're either regarded as being the very best of the genre... or hated due to the lack of gratuitous fanboy moments.

Manga's good for those who like it... but I overdosed a long time ago, and it just no longer entertains any longer.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

japaneasy

Manga
« Reply #11 on: 08 Apr 2005, 20:50 »

^But...  Everyone in Japan is a ninja.  I'm half-Ninja myself.  We're just so good at our ninja-ness that no one realizes we're actually ninjas.  It's our sekret ninja tactics that help us make better cars.  Seriously.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
Manga
« Reply #12 on: 08 Apr 2005, 21:57 »

here's something i've been thinking about for a while now: would ninjas make good football players?  any kind of football, really.  they would have pretty good control of their limbs for what the english call football (soccer).  they would be nimble and agile for Rugby and Gridiron, and they'd be good at throwing if they wanted to play quarterback in the latter.

so yo, where our football ninjas be at?

(and yes, i have seen Shaolin Soccer)  :)

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Manga
« Reply #13 on: 09 Apr 2005, 00:44 »

yipjumpmusic

Manga
« Reply #14 on: 09 Apr 2005, 01:14 »

Nice.  How could we forget?

ElRodente

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • unf unf unf
    • doodleblog
Manga
« Reply #15 on: 10 Apr 2005, 08:06 »

Quote from: Switchblade
I'm kind of on the wagon, really. two years ago I would have been "w00t! yeah! manga! I'm sooo down with that!"

now... I don't know, it just doesn't work any longer. I'm tired of an endless series of gravity-defying purple hair cuts, vibrating eyes the size of CD's, comic deformations and ESPECIALLY those goddamned nosebleeds they get.

I can't draw the stuff, but I can tell you what it's all like - guys are either morons who obsess on the hot girls, get nosebleeds whenever they see the least little bit of leg, fall over a lot and cry when they do so, or else they're tall, dark, silent, mysterious and ooze a curious kind of romantic, effeminate masculinity as if they've been fitted with some kind of gland.

The girls are all either skinny teenagers with big guns and short skirts, dark-haired sexual predators, or big-breasted nudists with an inexplicable shy streak.

and let's not forget the hyperspace mallet, the obligatory demon/angel/alien/animal/vampire half-breed, the weird bloke/chick who inexplicably turns up standing on lampposts/walls/helicopters, the comical ugly dwarf sidekick, and the fact that EVERYONE in japan is apparently a ninja.

For the most part, it's too formulaic for my tastes.

There are exceptions, of course - mould-breakers, examples that don't fit the standard. Generally, they're either regarded as being the very best of the genre... or hated due to the lack of gratuitous fanboy moments.

Manga's good for those who like it... but I overdosed a long time ago, and it just no longer entertains any longer.

try reading some good manga...

like cowboy bebop, yes faye is "well proportioned"
but thats pretty much the only stereotype you mentioned there
Oh no, he was fine... and now he's poorly from too much electric

ASturge

Manga
« Reply #16 on: 10 Apr 2005, 11:41 »

I love Cowboy Bebop, Faye is indeed very well.......heh

aaaaaaaaaanyways, another good anime that you will definatly find at blcokbusters is Ghost in the shell!, its pretty good

mosfet

Manga
« Reply #17 on: 10 Apr 2005, 17:03 »

Both good choices.  

I prefered Dragonball in comic form (even though it was in japanese, and I caouldn't read it) over the cartoon ones.  not sure about the movie...  I think I still prefered it on paper.

7.62x39mm

Manga
« Reply #18 on: 10 Apr 2005, 20:54 »

As far as manga goes, Hellsing is INFINITELY better than its anime counterpart. Vampiric Nazi invasion/obliteration of London, ahoy! Aside from that, I haven't read much manga lately, mainly because I'm cheap.

I grossly enjoy certain anime like Tsukihime, Vandread, Witch Hunter Robin, Full Metal Panic, and Noir, and many other titles that I'm too lazy to type up. I'm a hopeless fanboy.

Unosuke

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Manga
« Reply #19 on: 10 Apr 2005, 20:56 »

i'd buy more manga, but i have trouble paying $10 for something i'm going to read in one or two sittings, then never read again.
Jeph: I think I like drunken baking. It has a sense of danger that you just don't get when you're sober.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
Manga
« Reply #20 on: 10 Apr 2005, 22:18 »

Manga is like every other form of entertainment- most of it is utter shit, some is okay, and a small percentage of it is fucking brilliant.

Lone Wolf & Cub pretty much takes all other manga out behind the woodpile and murders it, in my opinion.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

japaneasy

Manga
« Reply #21 on: 11 Apr 2005, 01:00 »

I <3 Cowboy Bebop.  I have the whole DVD set, twice over.  One (American) I left with my parents so if/when I go visit them, I can still watch it.  One Aussie, so I can watch it here.

On topic...  Yeah manga prices are steep, that's why I only buy the ones I actually know I want to own.  I usually just sit down in the bookstore and read them all there, hehe.  Does that make me a bad person?

ASturge

Manga
« Reply #22 on: 11 Apr 2005, 02:31 »

Quote from: jeph

Lone Wolf & Cub pretty much takes all other manga out behind the woodpile and murders it, in my opinion.

hell yes

Digs

Manga
« Reply #23 on: 11 Apr 2005, 13:12 »

Quote from: 7.62x39mm
As far as manga goes, Hellsing is INFINITELY better than its anime counterpart. Vampiric Nazi invasion/obliteration of London, ahoy! Aside from that, I haven't...

Granted. I'm reading Naruto now, and I'm hoping it will get better. The art is wonderfully detailed, though. I probably should have gone with One Piece, or maybe not with Shonen Jump at all - Dark Horse has been mighty good to me.

ElRodente

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • unf unf unf
    • doodleblog
Manga
« Reply #24 on: 11 Apr 2005, 14:21 »

i am currently addicted to the one piece anime
Oh no, he was fine... and now he's poorly from too much electric

Haibane

Manga
« Reply #25 on: 11 Apr 2005, 20:20 »

Quote from: El-Rodente

The "one-piece?"  Huh?  I know of series, movies, and OVA's, but I've never heard of a one-piece.

Blessed Be,
-Haibane

Digs

Manga
« Reply #26 on: 11 Apr 2005, 20:38 »

It's about pirates!

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Manga
« Reply #27 on: 12 Apr 2005, 11:16 »

How is Naruto going?  I've only read a couple here and there from Shonen Jump.

I really want to start tracking down and purchasing the Blade of the Immortal series.

Nettle

• Larger than most fish
Manga
« Reply #28 on: 13 Apr 2005, 01:38 »

most manga annoys me totally. most.
www.notebookinhand.com -Forum for creative people.

www.maidmarianandhermerrymen.co.uk - Remember Maid Marian And Her Merry Men? Join the fanforum!
http://fluffybricks.blogspot.com You might not believe your eyes!

QC_fan

Manga
« Reply #29 on: 13 Apr 2005, 01:40 »

I love manga and anime...i dont have much manga but i love reading it

TrueNeutral

Manga
« Reply #30 on: 13 Apr 2005, 05:12 »

I'm not very much into manga. Pretty much all I like is Naruto. I enjoy drawing it, though.

Tinjessla

Manga
« Reply #31 on: 13 Apr 2005, 05:22 »

I used to be into it in a big way, reading whatever i could get my hands on but that phase passed. I'm still open to manga but i'd only probably read 'best of the genre' stuff. Y'know, Cowboy Bebop, Lone Wolf..etc. Saying that, i still like my Astroboy and Marrionette Generation graphic novels.

QC_fan

Manga
« Reply #32 on: 13 Apr 2005, 05:27 »

I love to draw anime characters, i print them off and draw them the best i can

Digs

Manga
« Reply #33 on: 13 Apr 2005, 11:24 »

I was a little worried about Naruto, but it really picked up after the first book. I'm looking forward to reading a big pile of it.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Manga
« Reply #34 on: 13 Apr 2005, 11:36 »

It seemed to stumble about a bit at first but I do want to purchase heaps of them my self.

Last purchases in manga for my self was a book called Ray.  The title really got my attention but the concepts of it sounded interesting.  I can't remember the title of the other, it was actually awhile ago.  And before that was some of the Battle Royale series.

daneford

Manga
« Reply #35 on: 13 Apr 2005, 12:27 »

I find most manga pretty generic, not my thing really. There are exceptions of course :)

Primate

Manga
« Reply #36 on: 14 Apr 2005, 05:26 »

The pacing of magna drives me crazy. I know it's just a cultural difference, but it doesn't take long for the drawn out action scenes and glacial development of characters to break my suspension of disbelief and make me wish I was reading something faster.

I've also given up the idea that the magna craze in the U.S. is going to crash anytime soon. When the section for magna in my local Borders ballooned from one stack to six a few years back, I figured the supply had surged ahead of actual consumers. However, the movement doesn't seem to dropping off, so I'll concede that I was probably wrong. Although I got to wonder how small lingy's town is if there's only one shelf of the stuff.

Sideways

Manga
« Reply #37 on: 14 Apr 2005, 09:54 »

Quote from: Primate
The pacing of magna drives me crazy. I know it's just a cultural difference, but it doesn't take long for the drawn out action scenes and glacial development of characters to break my suspension of disbelief and make me wish I was reading something faster.

I've also given up the idea that the magna craze in the U.S. is going to crash anytime soon. When the section for magna in my local Borders ballooned from one stack to six a few years back, I figured the supply had surged ahead of actual consumers. However, the movement doesn't seem to dropping off, so I'll concede that I was probably wrong. Although I got to wonder how small lingy's town is if there's only one shelf of the stuff.

Yeah, pacing in Anime/Manga is usually VERY frustrating.

DragonBall Z.

Jeebus.  I watched a few episodes, and I think about 10 punches were thrown in this one epic fight... in a total of about 4 episodes... so that's almost an 1.5 hours.

The length of an average Hollywood film... and 4 punches get thrown.

Most of the time it's the protagonists floating in mid-air, breathing heavy, having internal monologues about 'power levels'.

Most boring stuff I have ever seen.

mosfet

Manga
« Reply #38 on: 14 Apr 2005, 10:40 »

thats why I liked it in comic form in Japanese.  When you can't read the long dialogues and monologues, its actually quite fast paced! :)

Nettle

• Larger than most fish
Manga
« Reply #39 on: 14 Apr 2005, 17:24 »

yes i guess that would be a benefit of not being able to read the language... *raises eyebrow*

yeah, i agree. it's annoyingly slow... and they ramble on about nothing for ages and ages... That's on one hand. But on another hand, have you noticed that most (not all i'll admit) are like totally and utterly hyperactive characters?? or they'll like,  hit each other over the head for no reason. Or they'll completely overreact to something, things that just don't happen in Western style cartoons/comics. Like... falling over backwards when someone finally understands why they've gone all chibi and are waving their arms like an insane thing. And... those little sighs...
I dunno, they just don't seem to express themselves very well without having 'sound effects' etc. I'll confess i've read webcomics which have manga style illustrations. But if i try and read a real manga, it just makes me want to stab something with a fork.

Oh, and half the time they seem to be completely sexist.
www.notebookinhand.com -Forum for creative people.

www.maidmarianandhermerrymen.co.uk - Remember Maid Marian And Her Merry Men? Join the fanforum!
http://fluffybricks.blogspot.com You might not believe your eyes!

Primate

Manga
« Reply #40 on: 15 Apr 2005, 05:31 »

The Japanese seem to be a bit behind the States in terms of equality of the sexes, and their fiction reflects that. On the other hand, male homosexual romantic situations are considered perfectly appropriate material for tales aimed at young girls.

As for the other bit, I like the fact that their characters act a bit more cartoony in the action and romance genres than their American counterparts. The Teen Titan cartoon on the Cartoon Network incorporates those features but with an American story pace. It gives it a nice, distinct feel from the Justice League or Superdog shows.

ASturge

Manga
« Reply #41 on: 15 Apr 2005, 09:58 »

Quote from: Haibane
Quote from: El-Rodente

The "one-piece?"  Huh?  I know of series, movies, and OVA's, but I've never heard of a one-piece.

Blessed Be,
-Haibane

i just watched two episodes. it was great!

the hero just randomly punches people.

QC_fan

Manga
« Reply #42 on: 17 Apr 2005, 11:20 »

The Manga i have got:

Tenchi (3 of them and a special one of Mihoshi and Kiyone)
Wish

japaneasy

Manga
« Reply #43 on: 18 Apr 2005, 05:06 »

^"special", eh? ::wink, wink::

QC_fan

Manga
« Reply #44 on: 18 Apr 2005, 05:33 »

Quote from: japaneasy
^"special", eh? ::wink, wink::

As in a spin off from the Tenchi series manga about Kiyone and Mihoshi

dannyboy

Manga
« Reply #45 on: 18 Apr 2005, 08:56 »

Quote from: Digs
I'm reading Naruto now...

Oh man...  I made the mistake of starting that series and falling for it.  The only thing I hate is that most series usually have a 3-4 month gap between books.  That being said, there are around 20+ volumes of this and they're only on volume 4 (I believe).  I hate waiting around for my manga!!  >_<

Other current readings:
Mahoromatic
Negima
Samurai Deeper Kyo
X/1999
NGE
Samurai Girl: Real Bout High School
Chobits
Lone Wolf and Cub
Rahxephon
Love Hina (though I'm just rereading the full collection I have)
FLCL
Ai Yori Aoshi

...yeah...  I read a lot of Manga.  I just wish my gf did too.  Anyone else have a problem with their SigO not being into Manga or Anime?

Digs

Manga
« Reply #46 on: 18 Apr 2005, 16:33 »

Shonen Jump wants your blood.

japaneasy

Manga
« Reply #47 on: 19 Apr 2005, 03:39 »

QC_fan

Hehe I's just messing with ya.  ;)

jus

Manga
« Reply #48 on: 19 Apr 2005, 23:30 »

Oh man, I used to think mangos were great. They grow thick and sweet where I grew up (Philippines, it's our specialty). Sort of turned off by them now, too much of a good thing and all...

Oh yeah, I like manga too. Whenever I hit tapioca express or graffitea (which are both boba stores, if you don't know what boba is... go ask that Asian dude down the hall) I head over to the little manga library and pretend I can read Japanese. Cool pictures.

Powerferret

Manga
« Reply #49 on: 19 Apr 2005, 23:35 »

haha or just look in up on urbandictionary.com

useful tool that is.....
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up