THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 02:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: godspeed you! black emperor  (Read 7378 times)

daysweregolden

godspeed you! black emperor
« on: 06 Apr 2005, 23:44 »

does anyone know for certain whats up with these guys at the moment, have they officially broken up or are they just on hiatus while silver mt zion etc are doing stuff?

Radiowar

• Obscure cultural reference
    • my music
« Reply #1 on: 07 Apr 2005, 17:03 »

From what I heard Efrim was upset about the band's lack of progress and is on hiatus.

Wiki says: The band have often played an unrecorded song entitled "Albanian" when touring. Efrim has said that when the band reform they will record it for their next release. Another unreleased song, "Gamelan", may also be recorded. However, due to the band's open taping policy, both these songs are available on high quality audience recordings. It has frequently been the case, in fact, that new material is released through the fans before its official recording.

Burninated Peasant

« Reply #2 on: 07 Apr 2005, 20:49 »

This is somewhat depressing news. I've seen GYBE twice in Detroit, and it was awesome. The first time nobody really knew who they were and there were only a handful of fans there to see the show. The second time, a mere year later, they fucking packed St. Andrew's Hall. And I mean packed. I've seen Frontline Assembly at the same venue and the Godspeed crowd put that show to shame. Fucking incredible! I was so happy that they had gained such a huge following in a short amount of time. It always makes me smile when groups with actual talent can draw a real crowd without compromising their musical integrity (i.e., "selling out").

daysweregolden

« Reply #3 on: 08 Apr 2005, 03:55 »

godspeed arent allowed to break up, they make me happy.

jal-vani

« Reply #4 on: 08 Apr 2005, 06:25 »

i guess i'm not up to speed on my godspeed news. i didn't realize that there was even a question about if they were together or not. regardless, it'd be a shame to not hear new music from them; and gamelan is an awesome song.

Guy Smiley

« Reply #5 on: 08 Apr 2005, 09:07 »

Albanian is incredible.  They damn well better get a studio version on tape someday.

mechorg

« Reply #6 on: 08 Apr 2005, 19:01 »

Believe it or not, I saw them in Milwaukee years back.  Why they scheduled a show there, I'll never know, but thank the responsible powers that be!

That was just before they left for Japan and just after the show in Detroit that Burninated Peasant mentioned.  This was also less than a month after the whole 9-11 event, so the entire audience was just somber yet enthralled by their sonic imagery and an audio chop-up of a dubbya Bush speech.  It was certainly a healing concert that meant a lot to me and my roommate.

Burninated Peasant

« Reply #7 on: 08 Apr 2005, 22:20 »

I totally forgot! You're right, the second time I saw them was shortly after 9/11. Crossing the border from Windsor to Detroit to see them was a friggin' bitch. Usually, the border guards just ask you where you're going and you flash them your birth certificate. It took at least an hour, hour-and-a-half just to get through the friggin' tunnel, then we got interrogated about what we were planning to do in their country. Luckily, the concert was fucking wicked, so it more than made up for the (understandable) pain in the ass getting there. Their opening act was a group (I think they were local, i.e. from Michigan) named Larval, whose CD I immediately bought. Awesome stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up