THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fooled by the live music?  (Read 8264 times)

yipjumpmusic

Fooled by the live music?
« on: 07 Apr 2005, 04:02 »

I don't know about any of you but NOW AND THEN I go to a show and enjoy an opener enough that I buy a cd or so from them, only later to listen to it and really regret buying it, not because it doesn't sound like them live, just the fact that you are now just listening to music at mundane home (unless your home is a fun house or something) and the pleasure of hearing live music is not in the equation.  Though not bad music, and listenable (yes i said listenable) it is not buy worthy but far too late to return.  

Sometimes I regret NOT buying a cd too though because I was not in the right mood at the time I heard a band but later heard them again and suddenly loved it.  So I always worry I will miss out (as sometimes it is hard to get a band's CDs, or tax/shipping free)  I'm sure my pack rat nature comes into this as well and my general CD whoring, but no I don't just buy anything, I do have SOME kind of musical taste but I wanted to know if anyone else gets into this problem...

yggdrasil

« Reply #1 on: 07 Apr 2005, 04:19 »

I saw Super Furry Animals once and thought they were great, but fortunately I just borrowed a cd of theirs off a classmate instead of buying one. The cd (the one with the giant alien with the telephone on the cover) wasn't bad per se, just quite dull and not my style, which is a shame since they were pretty awesome live.

rynne

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Hey, nice marmot!
« Reply #2 on: 07 Apr 2005, 06:24 »

Try other SFA discs.  Their style changes noticably on different albums.  I'd suggest Radiator or Phantom Power.  I love SFA, but the album you mentioned took the longest for me to get into.

On topic, that happens a lot with me.  But its expected, like you said: live shows are a much different format than recorded music.  Inevitably, there will be acts that excel with the former but not the latter.
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: 07 Apr 2005, 06:28 »

I find that in such cases it's not normally 'fooled by live music' as much as 'fooled by alcohol'. Although I'm still trying to work out why I bought Hondo Macleans entire discography.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Disko

« Reply #4 on: 07 Apr 2005, 06:31 »

Quote from: yggdrasil
I saw Super Furry Animals once and thought they were great, but fortunately I just borrowed a cd of theirs off a classmate instead of buying one. The cd (the one with the giant alien with the telephone on the cover) wasn't bad per se, just quite dull and not my style, which is a shame since they were pretty awesome live.

That's weird with SFA... I've been in love with their albums for quite a while now but find them notoriously unreliable live.

Bones

• Not quite a lurker
    • http://www.sixtnine.co.za
« Reply #5 on: 07 Apr 2005, 06:52 »

A while back I went to go watch a relatively new band at the time Reclined. they were running around selling copies of their EP...chuck in the CD player while driving home and the buggers had burnt the CD as PC audio files...could only listen to it on my PC...bit of a let down
I see you looking at me looking at you

Psiogen

« Reply #6 on: 07 Apr 2005, 18:56 »

Super Furry Animals are great, and Guerrilla is unquestionably their best. Ah well...

I bought Forget Cassettes' album after seeing them open for the Trail of Dead. It was pretty disappointing.

I also had the opposite experience, getting a free Josh Joplin CD that he tossed into the audience during a show (opening for TMBG.) He wasn't that great live, but it's actually a really good album.

honest_that_way

« Reply #7 on: 09 Apr 2005, 05:01 »

Yes were poor live sfa, which was mighty dissapointing, so therefore am i annoyed they are playing Dundee when i'm back in Manchester or slightly nonchalent? White Light Motorcade or whatever were quite rocking live but awful album, like Britpop discovering self-respect, horrible. Maybe it's triple worded bands? Hmmm

muffy

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #8 on: 10 Apr 2005, 13:28 »

Meh..I missed SFA dj-ing last night at my local indie club as it was my mum's birthdayso I went home instead...

mechorg

« Reply #9 on: 10 Apr 2005, 14:19 »

This may be not quite the answer you were looking for, but this is my opinion on live music.

Being a musician involves two very different settings to perform in; one is a very technical and controlled environment like a studio, the other is the high energy rush of a live show in front of a real audience.  Some bands are better in one setting than the other and that's just the way things go.  

By belief is that the musicians that are excellent in live shows that "fool you" are the good talented artists that feed off the live energy of the audience.  This doesn't always transform very well into the studio environment.

I'm going to with-hold my "real bands make their money from selling out world tours, not over-producing an album that gets downloaded and squeal to the riaa" rant for some other time.

yipjumpmusic

« Reply #10 on: 10 Apr 2005, 16:21 »

Perhaps sometimes yes.

Baalzebub

« Reply #11 on: 10 Apr 2005, 16:23 »

I can give you an example where this actually works in reverse.

I saw Combi-christ live at some festival last year and they were just terrible, absoutly terrible. Yet my friend, a couple months later asked me to try and find some of their stuff. Their first album is amazing, when I have nothing else to listen to its one of the first albums i throw on.

Strange Really.

Samgam Gamalan

« Reply #12 on: 11 Apr 2005, 01:50 »

i think i'll stay out of the live vs studio debate, but does anyone else notice that some bands are way different from CD to live performance. For instance: one of my fave bands Red Jezebel make cool slow indie-pop that is often acoustic and melancholy, then the live set is all electric guitars and shouting. I'm not saying its 'energy' isn't good it's just...different.

Spencer

« Reply #13 on: 11 Apr 2005, 07:55 »

Stereolab are awesome live, but their albums are pretty blah.

Same thing with The Appleseed Cast.

and The Rapture

To play the opposite of that, I really really love Coheed and Cambria, and The Getup Kids studio stuff, but they just dont have it live. I would imagine that The Mars Volta suffers from similar affliction too. That being, they can't hit all those super high notes in concert, and they just end up sounding terrible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up