THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 04:04
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Imagine if Skynyrd didn't play Freebird at a show...  (Read 10431 times)

kikanjuuneko

...It happened to me last night. Well, not at a Skynyrd show.

But I went and saw The Blood Brothers, and they didn't play Ambulance vs. Ambulance.

Don't you hate it when things like that happen? You go to a show, and you wait the entire show for a song, and they don't play it?

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
Imagine if Skynyrd didn't play Freebird at a show...
« Reply #1 on: 05 Apr 2005, 06:13 »

Depends how good the rest of the show was, and whether they played other songs I liked.  Not to sound like a snob, but it's highly unlikely that I'd go to see a band based purely on my enjoyment of a single song.

Although it was nice that Will Oldham played most of my favourite songs of his when I saw him last year - though his live versions are so different from the recordings that it's a bit of a moot point.

kikanjuuneko

« Reply #2 on: 05 Apr 2005, 06:23 »

Well, I suppose you're right, but I'm just a little disappointed over not getting to hear my favorite song, I suppose.

The rest of the show was excellent though, and quite hilarious, considering there was a strange man wearing a Shrek mask throughout the show, people were randomly grabbing Jordan Blilie's ass ("Dude, what the hell was that?") and that one guy who kept yelling "USA Nails" throughout the entire set until Johnny Whitney just went like "GODDAMMIT!"

El Opium

« Reply #3 on: 05 Apr 2005, 13:54 »

I saw Xiu Xiu and was sorta dissapointed when they didn't play 'I Love the Valley,oh' but didn't make a point of it with myself. People's favorite songs are often the ones artists are sick of playing. Also you shouldn't expect a band to play too many old songs when they are touring behind a newer album.

catflea

« Reply #4 on: 05 Apr 2005, 14:29 »

Its like placebo didn't play nancy boy at their gigs for a long time.  The gigs weren't any the worse for it (in my exp. anyhow)

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #5 on: 05 Apr 2005, 15:39 »

Yah, ambulance vs. ambulance is probably one of the bloor brothers best songs, which totally sucks.

I remember Alkaline Trio didnt play Clavicle, my favourite song. That killed me.
I like the way you work it.

Sturge

« Reply #6 on: 05 Apr 2005, 15:48 »

he was shouting USA Nails cause its an ace song -_-

the best blood brothers song is pink tarantulas.

(which is on the Ambulance vs Ambulance B-side)

nothingwitty

« Reply #7 on: 05 Apr 2005, 19:17 »

I remember seeing Alkaline Trio and they didn't play one single song that I really liked, and that's a lot of songs.  It was a travesty.  

Same with AFI... they just sang a bunch of that Sing the Sorrow tripe.  Whatever man, whatever.

Burninated Peasant

« Reply #8 on: 05 Apr 2005, 20:49 »

Sometimes you get tired of performing the same few pieces over and over again. When people begin to expect a particular song, the musician(s) will often resent performing it. Same is true in other performance mediums as well... For example, I have one spoken word piece that people just can't get enough of. Every time I go up on a stage for the past two-and-a-half years, someone will shout out "do the geek poem!" At first I loved having a piece that resonated with people so much, but now I tend to shelve it for several months at a time.

Anybody remember that episode of Larry Sanders with Warren Zevon where he was adamant about not wanting to perform Werewolves of London? Man, I miss that show. Surprising considering how much I absolutely despised The Gary Shandling Show.

Now I want to change my sig to, "I saw a werewolf drinkin' pina coladas at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect."

nothingwitty

« Reply #9 on: 05 Apr 2005, 20:50 »

I screamed "Freebird" between movements 3 and 4 of Haydn's Symphony No. 34 at my girlfriend's orchestra concert a few months back...

it seemed funnier at the time.

ev0lve

« Reply #10 on: 05 Apr 2005, 21:21 »

bowie didn't play space oddity and i'm remarkably glad he didn't.
some songs you just don't play live.

blindsuperhero

« Reply #11 on: 06 Apr 2005, 07:00 »

I wouldn't say Ambulance vs. Ambulance was one of those must-play songs. I saw them (for the first time) a couple of weeks back, and I was mildly surprised they didn't play Burn, Piano Island, Burn, but not that much. Cecilia and the Silhouette Saloon, and Love Rhymes With Hideous Car Wreck seem to be their most popular songs, but the highlight for me (along with Cecilia) was when they played Guitarmy directly followed by Fucking's Greatest Hits. It was one of the best gigs I've been to, and to make it better I had ticket number 00001, and I got a set-list off the sound engineer at the end.

But this is interesting. What do you think songs are that bands couldn't really get away with not playing?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: 06 Apr 2005, 07:38 »

I'm going to see Cradle of Filth on the 18th and the tour set-list I have got is, imo, awful. Mainly because I don't like their two latest, more popular albums, but still...The second song they've chosen off of Midian, 'Tortured Soul Asylum' is pretty shoddy, especially when they could have taken the vastly better 'Lord Abortion' or 'Death Magick for Adepts' and have had space to fit in something off of Bitter Suites to Succubi, possibly Scorched Earth Erotica, which is a brilliant track. Also, they have nothing off of Dusk...And Her Embrace, which is criminal!

What makes it bitterer is that I have their live album from 2001 and the set-list is so insanely better. They even did 'Queen of Winter, Throned' live on that one. That would be so amazing...
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

kikanjuuneko

« Reply #13 on: 06 Apr 2005, 08:57 »

Quote from: blindsuperhero
I wouldn't say Ambulance vs. Ambulance was one of those must-play songs...

But this is interesting. What do you think songs are that bands couldn't really get away with not playing?

Well, I'm of the opinion that if you make a video for a song, you might as well play it live (and yes, there is a video for Ambulance vs. Ambulance).

They did play Cecilia and the Silhouette Saloon, though, which actually did surprise me, despite the people who kept yelling "Cecilia!" throughout the show.

Hmm, songs that bands couldn't get away with not playing? Well, Iron Maiden certainly couldn't get out of playing Fear of the Dark. Skynyrd probably had to play Freebird and Sweet Home Alabama. Sir Mix-a-lot (provided, you know, he still has a career) can't make some excuse for not doing Baby Got Back. Just, you know, the iconic song.

Korlin

« Reply #14 on: 06 Apr 2005, 10:01 »

Hey blindsuperhero, you see them at the Cockpit?

Y'know the guy who Jordan gave a towel? That was me...

'cos I was bleeding everywhere...

Oh the irony.

(a crowdsurfer made me bounce my head off a monitor)

Oh, and mind posting that setlist? I wouldn't mind knowing it in full

blindsuperhero

« Reply #15 on: 06 Apr 2005, 14:58 »

I did indeed. I don't remember a guy getting a towel but I was front-and-centre for the whole gig except the encore (I was wearing a "Support your local poet" t-shirt).
The set-list:
Teen Heat
Trash Flavored Trash ("Trash" on set-list)
Beautiful Horses ("B. Horses")
Peacock Skeleton With Crooked Feathers ("Peacock")
Birth Skin / Death Leather ("Birth")
Rats and Rats and Rats for Candy ("Rats")
Live at the Apocalypse Cabaret ("Apocalypse")
Devastator
Guitarmy
Fucking's Greatest Hits ("Fuckings")
New York Slave ("NY Slave")
Celebrator
Cecilia and the Silhouette Saloon ("Cecilia")
Love Rhymes With Hideous Car Wreck ("Love Rhymes")
---- Encore ---
The Salesman, Denver Max (from memory, not on setlist)
and I can't for the life of me remember what they played last!

I'd scan it, but I don't have a scanner

Korlin

« Reply #16 on: 06 Apr 2005, 16:17 »

That's great thanks a lot. I must have been stood right next to you :) The 1st crowdsurfer caught me off guard, bounced my head off a monitor and so I asked Jordan if I could use his towel, which he let do and that helped a lot... I was wearing a black jacket, Wildhearts patch on the back, lots of safety pins.

God I want to see them again.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: 06 Apr 2005, 17:16 »

Why does everyone go so absolutely crazy over Blood Brothers?

I'm not saying their crap...they're one of the better hardcore bands, if somewhat lacking in the vocal department...but why the crazy? Is it something to do with the amazing pretension?
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

blindsuperhero

« Reply #18 on: 07 Apr 2005, 05:54 »

Yes

yipjumpmusic

« Reply #19 on: 07 Apr 2005, 06:11 »

I get the opposite problem.  Over the eight or so times I have seen Pinback they always play Penelope.  Good song, don't get me wrong, but I just want to stick it to those people who ONLY know that one song and even after hearing the other songs which are just as good as or better and still cry out in a drunken stuper PENELOPE, PENELOPE!!!  Or at least I used to feel like that, but you can't let other people get to you that way...just enjoy the music.  Dang I feel like I made a paragraph sitcom with a moral lesson and everything.  Sorry.

blindsuperhero

« Reply #20 on: 07 Apr 2005, 16:19 »

Yes! I feel exactly the same way about "Ska Wars" by Capdown.
Pages: [1]   Go Up