THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 11:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The music taste of your (possible) significant other  (Read 18829 times)

yipjumpmusic

The music taste of your (possible) significant other
« Reply #50 on: 12 Apr 2005, 21:50 »

Wanting a sweet significant other to go to shows with is not emo, it's a natural "need" of many single music lovers.  (though should not stop you from going to and enjoying shows)  Just don't write a song about it ;)

Katili

« Reply #51 on: 13 Apr 2005, 01:42 »

Music is a good thing to share... means you can actually go out together and not hate what's going on while the other one is loving it, because like it or not, if you go out somewhere, there's going to be music somewhere.

Amsterdarn

« Reply #52 on: 13 Apr 2005, 09:13 »

Good taste in music is hott.  Maybe even hottt.  Frankly, a girl wit a bigger collection of indie than mine would make me cream le pants.

And in a SO, music taste is necessary.  Anyone in a lasting relationship with me would need to at least enjoy indie.  Music is too big a part of my life to leave it out for some uncultured hussy.

mechorg

« Reply #53 on: 13 Apr 2005, 16:45 »

Quote from: Amsterdarn
Good taste in music is hott.  Maybe even hottt.  Frankly, a girl wit a bigger collection of indie than mine would make me cream le pants.

Just to add to that, a girl that has some musical talent (especially piano or vocals) adds a multiplier to the hottt.

muffy

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #54 on: 13 Apr 2005, 16:58 »

Hmmmm...
My music collection seems to be a replacement for a SO...and doesn't make me hott, or indeed hottt.
Which is a shame, as all the indie guys I know seem to be mysteriously attracted to petite blonde girls with little more than a passing interest in music  (read as: they're all libertines fans), and have no use for a six foot ginger/blonde girl who can enthuse about miserable music until the cows come home, get bored and go out again...
I think it's because a lot of guys use their music collection as a penis extension, so when a girl has a load more stuff than them, it gets confusing.

That, and I lack the cuteness factor that tends to  help a relationship get started.
Damn, I'm bitter tonight.

mechorg

« Reply #55 on: 13 Apr 2005, 17:19 »

I had sensed some bitterness before with the 'dumped' thread.

I think muffy needs a hug. :)

muffy

« Reply #56 on: 13 Apr 2005, 17:30 »

Thank you!
I think I can finally stop whoring my misery on these boards and get back to being an indie fuck, oh yes! :)

Patatat

« Reply #57 on: 13 Apr 2005, 18:49 »

Scene Chicks.

I'd so do a scene chick at the snap of anyones fingers.

Yes, I am stereotyping, and yes I am enjoying it.

I'd love it if a girl was into a lot of music like me. Instead of most girls who have to listen to just indie, or just hardcore. I'd fall in love with any pretty girl, that loves Johnny Cash as much as me. Like instantly.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #58 on: 13 Apr 2005, 19:13 »

Quote from: muffy
Which is a shame, as all the indie guys I know seem to be mysteriously attracted to petite blonde girls with little more than a passing interest in music  (read as: they're all libertines fans)

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Holy crap, that's the greatest thing I've ever read. This double sided equation is going to need all my university calculus knowledge. Here goes:

Muffy = clever+rockin'
with a bit of factoring.....
Muffy = teh sex!
I like the way you work it.

muffy

« Reply #59 on: 14 Apr 2005, 03:52 »

Skibas, you are my new favourite person. You own.
:)

madamelau

« Reply #60 on: 15 Apr 2005, 04:39 »

Pff!!!  Shut up girl! YOU OWN THIS TOWN!!

Seriously half the fkn scenesters round here wouldnt know a good band if it bit them on the ass... Its all "babyshambles,blocparty,babyshambles,blocparty" BLAH. They need to be taught a lesson and you teach it when you hit the decks...

Sarah & I are going to form the official 'Muffy Fanclub' you rock THAT much!!

xx

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #61 on: 15 Apr 2005, 08:04 »

Quote from: yipjumpmusic
Wanting a sweet significant other to go to shows with is not emo, it's a natural "need" of many single music lovers.

Yahr. I want one of them too :(

My last gf didn't go to gigs...*shudders*
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

zekterellium

« Reply #62 on: 15 Apr 2005, 09:53 »

hmm... i got dumped by my girlfriend because i listened to government alpha and v/vm while we were making out. what a bugger.

Robbo

« Reply #63 on: 15 Apr 2005, 10:07 »

All the girls I've ended up with liked Pop - Punk and other stuff along that line sadly.

Seems hard to find girls really into Extreme Metal, but then music can be a movable goal.

I can deal with most guitar based music, as long as I'm not dragged to horrible gigs that cost me loads, but going because she wants to is fine, all part of compromise and stuff.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #64 on: 15 Apr 2005, 10:13 »

Ah man, the girl I want...she's taken unfortunately, but damn, I've heard her make out tape. It has Acid Bath - Cassie Eats Cockroaches, Cradle of Filth - Of Dark Blood and Fucking, Nattefrost - Sluts of Hell, Killing Miranda - I Know What You Want, Carpathian Forest - House of the Whipcord, Skyclad - Polkageist, Danzig - Killer Wolf, Venom - Teachers Pet etc. etc.

That's not the only reason I want her, but damn. DAMN.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Robbo

« Reply #65 on: 15 Apr 2005, 10:15 »

Kill her other half and make with the voodoo mind control, it's clearly the best option with a girl like this.

The Writer

« Reply #66 on: 17 Apr 2005, 01:49 »

I'm not very experienced in the whole relationship thing
But I don't think music really matters unless you love their taste in music, in which case it's a big plus, or if you really detest their listening choices, which always causes huge problems.  Of course, i live so far in the backwaters that music culture is like a stagnant swamp.  so anyone i've met hasn't had any weird tastes in music, and the sort of people who listen to too much emininem or Backstreet Boys or similar music were never the people i wanted to be with.  But yeah...the music scene over here is like a stagnant swamp of festering suckage.  Not only are bands like Good Charlotte, The Blackeyed Peas, and Britney Spears considered some of the greatest bands ever by most of the people here, but bands like Evanesence and even Avril Lavigne are considered EXTREMELY indie around here.......*boggles*
I mean, yeah, my taste isn't the best, especially since i only really got into music since 1999, but c'mon!  Please let the pain go away....

normz

« Reply #67 on: 17 Apr 2005, 02:27 »

Hmmmm this is an interesting one, I can't say I've ever dated anyone who didn't like fairly similar music to me cause it's such a big part of my life and I usually meet guys through going to gigs or the like ...... Even the random hot guy i made out with in a club the other night had the same music taste as me and we only met cause we started bitching about the teeny boppy trashed being played in the club (oh the irony) I was even found guilty once of walking across the room naked to change the song on my boyfriends computer cos there was no way anything kinky was going to happen to Modest Mouse ........ so yeah i need my men to like similar music to me; i guess its part of the whole common interests thing

devils_daughter

« Reply #68 on: 17 Apr 2005, 03:50 »

Me and my bf have similar..ish tastes but I love the fact we don't agree 100% I'm into bands he's never really heard and vice-versa. It's nice like that because it's like we both have something to contribute. I'm currently trying to get him to see the wonder that is My Dying Bride and then I think I may have to work on Nightwish. He's bringing over a Tristania cd next time I see him which I've wanted to listen to fo a while (but am sadly lacking in money after going to Berlin last month). He is scarily obsessed with Cradle of Filth and while I don't dislike them (they were really good when we went to see them last Tuesday) I don't think I'll ever like them nearly as much as he does. It's just nice not to have exactly the same tastes because you can expand your own tastes through listening to each others stuff.

marc1785

« Reply #69 on: 17 Apr 2005, 23:37 »

You've got to have a disparity some what.  A good base that you can both agree on as good music is good but you wont expand and find bands you end up liking but never heard of before if you both agree 100%

Robbo

« Reply #70 on: 18 Apr 2005, 04:14 »

Hmmm, findind new bands is certainly not something I look for in a girl. All 3 times, I've known every band they like and they've known none of the bands I liked. Makes me feel so necro.

pistachio

« Reply #71 on: 18 Apr 2005, 06:52 »

I think my problem is just that I like everything, and when I say everything, I mean everything. So its hard to meet guys that can put up with my random musical tastes. It seems that all the songs I cant get out of my head at any given moment never seem to mesh together, which means the playlist/mix CD Im listening to in the car or whatever could make impossible leaps by connecting songs that will never again be connected, even in an alternate universe. Which is fine for me, but seems to be completely foreign to the guys I meet, they think its weird to like more than one band, let alone different genres. It doesn't help that I always find myself attracted to "nerdy" types.. so who knows what they'll be listening to, if anything. The guy I'm seeing at the moment seems to at least be able to tolerate most of what I listen to and maybe even like some of it, plus the little music he's into I enjoy as well, which is good enough for me. So YAY! I win! .... one to nothin!

Hephesus

« Reply #72 on: 26 Apr 2005, 11:54 »

I like everything too... It's hard to get people to understand why you have the Moonlight Sonata between Dream Theathre's Pull me Under and Insane in the Membrane.

Luckly my gf has a similar musical taste (i.e. everything) so, although she might disagree on some parts of my taste, she is at least not bothered by this.

And we both play music. All the time. So its important for us to have a better half that can put up with our music.

This has cause problems in past relationships... as far as Im concerend anyway.

madame psychosis

« Reply #73 on: 26 Apr 2005, 11:59 »

i always fall for Tool fans

and i am NOT a Tool fan

life is strange like that

Willis

« Reply #74 on: 26 Apr 2005, 12:23 »

My ex-girlfriend, or really I've started to call her The ex-girlfriend.  I'll avoid going all-emo as to why I use the definite article with her, but I'm sure you understand.  Anyway she was/is a Dave Matthews fan.  She dragged me to one of his shows.  I tried to like it, but...yeah it just didn't work.  Of course I dragged her to an R.E.M. show -- we were in the 4th row for that versus the back row of the field of a stadium for DMB, so I feel victorious in the whole battle.

We did go see U2, Weezer, and Radiohead (twice) together so for the most part it worked out.

~~Willis

werekool_letshug

« Reply #75 on: 26 Apr 2005, 15:12 »

my boyfriend listens to alot of stupid bands but he does have some good taste. he likes the killers, franz ferdinand, and interpol which are really good so i can be forgiving when he listens to other bands that arent good.

Benn London

« Reply #76 on: 29 Apr 2005, 22:13 »

I can live with different music tastes, it can often be healthy...well maybe not in my case.

My [best friend/ex-girlfriend/girlfriend?] has a very different view of musical bliss.
Her record collection entails guttermouth, nofx, less than jake, reggie and the full effect, new found glory ...etc.

Mine is more like:
The Arcade Fire, Cursive, Broken Social Scene, Lights Out Berlin, Jets to Brazil, Iron and Wine...etc.

We argue, but at least it's constructive, and the rest of the time is perfect.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up