THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 22:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Best show/concert you... missed?  (Read 20018 times)

FruitKat

• Furry furrier
Best show/concert you... missed?
« on: 08 Apr 2005, 04:53 »

Yeah, well this topic mighta been done before, if so then please yell at me over and over... and/or delete...

But, whats the best show/concert that you missed? and Reasons? are you still recovering from the pain?
I think this is just in my mind at the moment, coz the Black Keys just recently came here and I didn't go, and now that I'm listening to their album I REALLY wish I had... My excuse? IM STUPID...

Anyway, this has happened so many times to me, and it's even more gutting living in NZ knowing that all these great bands possibly wont come back (SO SO FAR AWAYYYY)... Hopefully other people living in the middle of nowhere can relate to this... Anyone?

AndSheeWas

« Reply #1 on: 08 Apr 2005, 04:55 »

Duran Duran last weekend. But hopefully they will be back soon. :-(

japaneasy

« Reply #2 on: 08 Apr 2005, 05:13 »

Squarepusher at Irving Plaza... My gf-at-the-time got me tix for my birthday, but he cancelled the show at the last minute for some reason.  There was much sadness.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #3 on: 08 Apr 2005, 06:07 »

Darren Hanlon last year.  I was all set to go, but then I realised that he was performing on the same night as the Federal Election.  Being a typical Canberran political junkie naturally I stayed at home to watch the election . . . Which was won by entirely the wrong party.  Darren Hanlon would have been much more fun.

thought.bubble.says

« Reply #4 on: 08 Apr 2005, 06:10 »

Electric Six
..... dang it, still kickin myself.

rynne

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Hey, nice marmot!
« Reply #5 on: 08 Apr 2005, 06:23 »

This was a while ago, but I'd bought a ticket to see Jim White and then forgot what night the concert was.  

Thinking the show was on a Saturday, I hung out with friends the day before.  It wasn't until 1:00 at night that I realized it was a Friday show.  :(
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

jal-vani

« Reply #6 on: 08 Apr 2005, 06:27 »

Dillinger Escape Plan and Melt Banana last year. The Flaming Lips the year before.

Of the two shows, The Flaming Lips show is the one I kick myself over the most, because DEP and Melt Banana tour a lot.

muffy

« Reply #7 on: 08 Apr 2005, 06:34 »

I missed the Strokes first ever UK show owing to being £2 short of the ticket price when they went on sale...
I also was given a ticket to see Radiohead last year, and I love that band, but  one of my housemates was absolutely obsessive about them, so I gave it to her instead.
Missed The Ordinary Boys last month owing to being too ill to leave the house,
and due to tiredness, have missed Bloc Party and Radio 4,
due to skintness I've missed The Good life (which was very upsetting - I had to choose between them or Now It's Overhead),
and due to having a residency every Thursday have missed The Arcade Fire, Sondre Lerche, 65 DaysofStatic and Clearlake.

Tinjessla

« Reply #8 on: 08 Apr 2005, 06:36 »

I've missed a ton of great bands in my home town of Birmingham due to the fact i'm stuck up here in 'No bands ever tour here' Hull.  

Oh, and I missed the Super Furry Animals due to a delayed train on the way back of a university open day. The ticket has been bought too, dammit.

japaneasy

« Reply #9 on: 08 Apr 2005, 07:18 »

Ok sorry, what does "skintness" mean?  I'm outta the loop. :(

pip_helix

« Reply #10 on: 08 Apr 2005, 07:31 »

skintness = being somewhat poor or broke.

i missed snow patrol and eisley last fall, the show was on my dad's birthday. and, being the only child, there's no getting out of those kinds of things.

yipjumpmusic

« Reply #11 on: 08 Apr 2005, 08:39 »

a million when I was under 21 but if I talk details I get horrible flashbacks...

Sturge

« Reply #12 on: 08 Apr 2005, 08:52 »

Quote from: Awkward Silence
I missed the Blood Brothers in February, and I was so depressed afterwards.

hehe, shame you don't live in the UK! they've toured over here at least 3 times in the last 6 months!

I missed Black Eyes and then they split up :(

boooooooo

victor_smithe

« Reply #13 on: 08 Apr 2005, 09:03 »

I missed the Inbreds reunion show in Toronto because I had stupid work to do at school in Waterloo :(

ucfgeek

« Reply #14 on: 08 Apr 2005, 10:21 »

Guitar wolf was in Atlanta, Ga. two fridays ago (last show of the american tour), missed it cause I had to work too late to make it in time (I live in Orlando, Fl)... found out that the next week the Bass Guitarist Died.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #15 on: 08 Apr 2005, 11:21 »

Quote from: Sturge
I missed the Blood Brothers in February, and I was so depressed afterwards.

hehe, shame you don't live in the UK! they've toured over here at least 3 times in the last 6 months!

I missed Black Eyes and then they split up :(

boooooooo

I was gutted about that split, and I've managed to miss all the recent Blood Brothers tours. Oh well, at least I caught Black Eyes once and the new BB album isn't much cop.

There are a lot of bands I could have seen but didn't (Stalingrad, Canvas, Hard To Swallow, Keelhaul, Isis), but my worst cock-up was not watching Orrin de Forest because I went to get a veggie burger in a cafe just two floors from where they were playing. Then they split, I heard their music and proceeded to kick myself thoroughly.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

kilconey

• Emoticontraindication
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/kilconey/
« Reply #16 on: 08 Apr 2005, 12:58 »

any concerts i missed were bigger ones that i couldn't pay for.  the best were probably radiohead and morrissey.  i cannot believe i missed morrissey.
say something funny.  like sloppy joe.

ev0lve

« Reply #17 on: 08 Apr 2005, 14:37 »

i missed skinny puppy.
i bought two tickets. one for myself, one for my ex who i introduced them to and he became obsessed. the show was the night of my graduation and my mother didn't want me driving to seattle because i'd crash and die and be on the front page of the paper for dying the night i graduated high school. so she was going to take us. i accidently told my sister that i was going. she flipped out. because she "liked them first" whatever that's supposed to mean. so i was like dear god whatever TAKE MY TICKET and she was like oh i have to work but my husband can go and so the tickets i bought sent my brother-in-law who hates me and my ex who i can't stand.

:(

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #18 on: 08 Apr 2005, 14:47 »

Probably the first Mars Volta show played in Toronto 2 summers ago becuase I was in Quebec on an exchange program at the time, I also missed the Lawrence Arms and a very good Warped Tour because of that reason.

I've also missed a SHITLOAD of 19+ shows that I couldn't attend before I turned of age, on that comes to mind first are Squarepusher, Moby and Ted Leo a almost 2 years ago.
I like the way you work it.

ev0lve

« Reply #19 on: 08 Apr 2005, 14:50 »

Oh& I also missed Siouxsie and the Banshees and the Creatures because I wasn't 21.

AND (this infuriates me) I missed My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult because the first time Ministry came here they were touring with them and I wasn't 19 yet and it was in Canada, 19+. The second time I was 19 and I was SO EXCITED I could go and I thought MLWTTKK was playing with them again and I get there and fuckin 'ell, it was some dumbass band called Opiate for the Masses. >:|

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #20 on: 08 Apr 2005, 15:40 »

I missed both The Decemberists and Buckethead/Galactic last week simply because I had state assements all that week the next morning. bastards.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #21 on: 08 Apr 2005, 15:56 »

People actually like Morrissey?

Awkward Silence, you're a legend.

yipjumpmusic

« Reply #22 on: 08 Apr 2005, 16:06 »

Wait, does that mean he's a zombie?  Cause you didn't say "living" legend.

mechorg

« Reply #23 on: 08 Apr 2005, 18:33 »

I missed !!! at Coachella last year because of the hateful traffic into the festival and me not crawling out of bed fast enough.
:(

I am very fortunate of the many shows I have seen, so I don't fret too much.

muffy

« Reply #24 on: 08 Apr 2005, 18:44 »

Oh no...I just remembered my most shameful gig missage.
New York Dolls, last year.
My mate and I forgot.
To be fair, neither of us were  in a physical state to go - I had hideous food poisoning and could barely walk as a result of it, and she was in and out of hospital as she'd had a lighter blow up in her face and was blinded in one eye...

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #25 on: 08 Apr 2005, 19:19 »

Quote from: yipjumpmusic
Wait, does that mean he's a zombie?  Cause you didn't say "living" legend.

Not necessarily - in Australia we just tell someone they're a legend, the "living" bit is usually taken for granted.  Mind you, anyone can be anyone on the internet - though I'd suggest that Awkward Silence's posts are a bit too coherent to be the work of a zombie!

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #26 on: 08 Apr 2005, 19:29 »

Quote from: AndSheeWas
Duran Duran last weekend. But hopefully they will be back soon. :-(

my bf is working at a Duran Duran concert at this very moment. too bad you are not in virginia!

i think the worst 'concert miss' i've done was in 9th grade. i got to go to hfstival, and didn't enjoy it terribly cos i didn't know most of the bands, but then looking back at the program, there were a zillion awesome bands that i like now that i didn't even know i was missing when i was missing them! très depressing. especially stabbing westward, cos they were broken up by the time i realized i had not-seen them.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

yipjumpmusic

« Reply #27 on: 08 Apr 2005, 19:32 »

Don't underestimate a zombie, I've learned that much.

*adds Pinback opening for Slint on missed list*

siatefelici

« Reply #28 on: 08 Apr 2005, 21:56 »

hmm... in 2003 Coldplay was coming to my town and it was sold out... but the radio station was giving away tickets and my brother is amazing at winning tickets.  I had to go to a friend's birthday party, so I was like "please please try to win these tickets. I really want to go!!!" So I went to my friend's house, spent the night and the next morning my mom picked me up. I said "so did he win" and she said 'yes' and I freaked out I was so excited
until she said "he asked Alex to go with him' Alex... my best friend who he liked but he knew she didn't like him back.
and the worst thing is is that she accepted knowing how badly i wanted to go and knowing that he liked her
Two years later and it still makes me mad when I think about it

yipjumpmusic

« Reply #29 on: 08 Apr 2005, 21:59 »

hmm, yeah I'd be too.

FruitKat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #30 on: 08 Apr 2005, 22:20 »

Yeah, Coldplay is another one that I kicked myself for missing... That circumstance sucks SOOO much though...
However I do prefer cheaper shows, Coldplay was probably too expensive... But also probably worth it... Oh well.
Isn't this a lovely depressing topic? Sorry guys... Maybe we should reminisce on the good times or something?
Nah... I also missed a Muse concert (I loved them at the time... Piano YAY!) because I turned 18 like a week after they came, that was quite gutting, especially when mean people rub it in... About how great it was... GRRR to those people... But I have seen them before, so what am I complaining about? As you were...

paradoxtitan

• Not quite a lurker
  • Turn it Up!
    • paradoxtitan.livejournal.com
« Reply #31 on: 08 Apr 2005, 23:18 »

One of them would be Buckethead's Giant Robot.  Mainly due to the fact that i wasn't 18 yet. Then i went and saw Col. Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains months later (of which Buckethead is a part of) and made up for it.  I also missed out on the G3 tour last year (Malmsteen, Vai, and Satriani), but made up for it by seeing Steve Vai just meer hours ago. The only two i missed out on and haven't made up for is Mindless Self Indulgence and The Flaming Lips. MSI i missed because i forgot the show even existed until after it happened. I missed out on The Flaming Lips because Lollapalooza was cancelled.

-PT
I thought 'Plate Tectonics' was the original name of the Wu-Tang Clan!

devinjames

« Reply #32 on: 09 Apr 2005, 00:10 »

i kept seeing advertisements for the unicorns show in houston come the end of last semester? the same poster on campus over and over again. i didn't go because i wanted to finish my work early to go home. besides i saw them on their tour over the summer, no big then right?

then i hear it was their last show, with interesting turmoil ensuing in the show.

A Little Quacky

« Reply #33 on: 09 Apr 2005, 00:16 »

Virgil last time they played in Modesto. Only bummed though b/c I would have finally gotten the cd and shirt their manager has been promising me for ages. Darn him! Well I would have liked to see um all again, of course!

LightThievesAll

• Obscure cultural reference
    • http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~ajohnsto
« Reply #34 on: 09 Apr 2005, 00:16 »

As we all know, Motorhead is the greatest metal band of all time.  I missed them no less than 5 TIMES in the past 4 years until I finally saw them live last month.  All I gotta say... it was so fucking worth it that I could have died during "Overkill" and have lived a complete life.
Everybody needs to believe in something.  I believe I'll have another beer.

Druid

« Reply #35 on: 09 Apr 2005, 00:48 »

Coachella because the person in charge of making the arangements decided to wait until the last minute to buy tickets.

Planes mistaken for stars and Hopesfall becasue we live four hours away from where they were playing.

daviesmatt

« Reply #36 on: 09 Apr 2005, 01:18 »

I could've seen Rush last year in London.

Ordered tickets the day they came out, then proceeded to move to the fucking desert. Sold the tickets on ebay, and just got incredibly drunk by myself in my room the day of the concert.

Fucking Rush, man.

kikanjuuneko

« Reply #37 on: 09 Apr 2005, 02:09 »

I'm still pissed at having missed both Hatebreed and Killswitch Engage (separate shows) a few years back. I mean, these days, both bands are so huge, they pretty much play arenas, not clubs. And hell, Killswitch Engage haven't even been back since then.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #38 on: 09 Apr 2005, 04:53 »

I missed the Triple Swedish Apocalypse tour. :(

Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquillity, the Haunted and Nightrage in support.

I can take or leave The Haunted and Nightrage, but DT rock and AE are by far my favourite straight MDM band.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Sturge

« Reply #39 on: 09 Apr 2005, 04:57 »

Quote from: a pack of wolves

There are a lot of bands I could have seen but didn't (Stalingrad, Canvas, Hard To Swallow, Keelhaul, Isis).

heh, keelhaul are awesome. and Isis are touring this month! go see!

yipjumpmusic

« Reply #40 on: 09 Apr 2005, 05:34 »

I think I am supposed to like Isis, but at a show where they opened for Mogwai I fell asleep standing up listening to them.  Yes literally.  Luckily woke up before I fell.  I don't know, just how I reacted and something I did not like about the singer...and yet I was wide awake for Mogwai *shrugs*

Two_Tone

« Reply #41 on: 09 Apr 2005, 06:32 »

The one I missed that I most wanted to go to was the Blue Meanies reunioun show at the Metro in Chicago last year.
After that is Ted Leo came with El Guapo right after Hearts of Oak came out and at the Chicago date he severly damaged his vocal chords, and was unable to play in Milwaukee. Sad days indeed.

GebStar

• Furry furrier
« Reply #42 on: 09 Apr 2005, 06:55 »

I missed The Shins in sydeny a few months ago, they didn't have any under 18's shows and my fake ID wasnt ready until after the show.
Quote from: Trollstormur
that slogan is a good slogan. so good, in fact, I think it should be applied to other things. like, "there's no wrong way to hit your spouse." or "there's no wrong way to commit nonconsentual sodomy."

yipjumpmusic

« Reply #43 on: 09 Apr 2005, 07:28 »

Hmm missed the shins too when I was too young and only by months I think but then later I saw them saw not sure that counts

daviesmatt

« Reply #44 on: 09 Apr 2005, 08:18 »

None of you fucking understand.. I could have seen RUSH. LIVE.

Fucking rush man. Holy fuck, I missed Rush.

Fuck.

Fu-

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #45 on: 09 Apr 2005, 08:30 »

Went to a gig with my 2 favourite bands ever (Porcupine Tree with Anathema supporting) last Saturday, except we got there 2 hours late and cleanly missed the whole of Anathema's set. :(

Quote from: KharBevNor
I missed the Triple Swedish Apocalypse tour. :(

Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquillity, the Haunted and Nightrage in support.

I can take or leave The Haunted and Nightrage, but DT rock and AE are by far my favourite straight MDM band.

Likewise :( except I can take or leave AE and Nightrage, but The Haunted rock and DT are by far one of my favourite MDM bands... but yeah, I was fucking gutted about that.

Saw Kreator / Dark Tranquillity / some band with an unpronouncable name and Hatesphere at the Electric Ballroom a week or so later, though, so I wasn't too distraught :D

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #46 on: 09 Apr 2005, 08:48 »

Quote from: daviesmatt
None of you fucking understand.. I could have seen RUSH. LIVE.

Fucking rush man. Holy fuck, I missed Rush.

Fuck.

Fu-

If I missed Rush I would probably kill myself.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #47 on: 09 Apr 2005, 09:24 »

Who're Rush?
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Mikendher

« Reply #48 on: 09 Apr 2005, 09:33 »

Guster on ice, portland maine

sounds ridiculous, i wish i had been there

daviesmatt

« Reply #49 on: 09 Apr 2005, 10:02 »

Rush are only the best band ever.

AND I FUCKING MISSED THEM

fuck man, it's just dawned on me how much that fucking sucks.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up