THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 21:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Country Music pwns you.  (Read 12395 times)

Smiley

Why Country Music pwns you.
« on: 08 Apr 2005, 11:25 »

Because it does. Deal with it.

Mnementh

« Reply #1 on: 08 Apr 2005, 11:27 »

We probably don't agree on much, but we can agree on this.

*Goes back to listening to his John Anderson*

To make this a little more productive.  I hate a lot of what comes out of Nashville these days.  It's becoming as overproduced as Britney Spears, and I don't pretend to agree with the politics of it.  Toby Keith is an inbred bastard.

On the other hand, I really love older stuff (and not the obvious John Cash and Loretta Lynn, who I do love too) such as John Anderson and Michael Martin Murphey.  Those two are still making music though.

I'd say my favourite subgenre would be cowboy songs.  Marty Robbins comes to mind.

Smiley

« Reply #2 on: 08 Apr 2005, 11:47 »

I enjoy some newer country music, (and I do enjoy Toby Keith ;-)), but I was brought into country by and remain faithful to John Denver and John Prine, which is exactly the kind of country most people hate (-:

Mnementh

« Reply #3 on: 08 Apr 2005, 12:12 »

I forgot to mention John Denver.  I was pretty much raised on him, but I think of him, and people like Willy Nelson as more folk than country.

There are some newer artists I like, such as Darryl Worley, and I must admit a soft spot for the Dixie Chicks.

AndSheeWas

« Reply #4 on: 08 Apr 2005, 12:16 »

I'm a Big and Rich fan. Saw them in concert once (one of my best friends works for the country music station out here, so we get to do fun free things, barring the country music), and they just rocked.

Smiley

« Reply #5 on: 08 Apr 2005, 12:32 »

The Dixie Chicks pissed me off to no ends with their George Bush comment. Entertainers should stay the hell out politics. Patriotism is fine and all, but I can't stand when they think their celibritism gives them the right to bash political leaders and the like.

Darryl Worley's good too, especially his song "Awful, Beautiful Life".

And Montgomery Gentry, Big and Rich are some of my favorites, although their more a rock and roll style of country.

Mnementh

« Reply #6 on: 08 Apr 2005, 13:03 »

I think they can have political opinions and feel free to air them.  Hence the reason that I don't like Toby Keith and won't listen to or buy his stuff.  I hate his opinion and stances, but I'm sure as hell not going to take away his freedom tof speech.

I'm not going to support him financially though.

Smiley

« Reply #7 on: 08 Apr 2005, 13:23 »

The extent of his political stance is "I support the troops" and "Mess with us, and we'll kick your ass". Which I'm both a firm supporter of ;-)

I guess what I don't like is people who presume to bash others, like bashing political leaders, when they don't have any real perception of what the guy's job is like or what he has to deal with, and when they don't know anything about it except for what they hear from the news.

Like you said, we may not agree on much, but Country brings all together ;-)

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #8 on: 08 Apr 2005, 15:43 »

I loathe Nashville and its ilk, but I do have a spot in my heart for some country folk, especially the Sadies.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #9 on: 08 Apr 2005, 15:45 »

Ahem:

http://forums.questionablecontent.net/viewtopic.php?t=4796

EDIT: And Smiley, why on earth should entertainers stay out of commenting on politics?  Aren't they citizens as well, don't they have as much of a right to speak out as the rest of us?  You're in the armed forces, and yet it doesn't stop you commenting on country music.  Just because a person's chosen a particular profession doesn't mean that they forfeit their right to comment on anything else as they see fit.  It's got next to nothing to do with celebrity: it's about humanity.

Smiley

« Reply #10 on: 08 Apr 2005, 17:49 »

Eh, I never saw the other thread. Although they are different. His way saying he doesn't like country. This started off why Country is the best music there ever was, is, and ever will be, the reason is; shut up, it just it.

Let me restate what I said then, since it was misunderstood. I never said they don't have the right to give their opinons as celebrities, but it was the manner in which it was done, as well a couple of other things.

People in general cannot have informed opinions on a matter when they have not had the associated experiences or performed associated actions themselves. Hence, it is wrong for for people to bash anyone else, especially someone in a job such as the Presidency, where most the documents dealing with the day to day experiences are classified. The problem I have with the Dixie Chicks is the way they made their statement seemed to imply they felt their elevated status in society gave them the right to bash Bush, even though they don't even have the slightest inkling of the type of responsibilities and circumstances which he has to deal with on a routine bases, and that they base their opinons mainly off the mainstream media which is heavily biased and does not give an objective portrayal of world events. I likewise don't have the right to judge others, especially in positions of the gov't which are shrouded by classification. I really shouldn't even be judging the dixie chicks, but I thought I'd put my three sense in. That's it for political views for now...

Anyways, another good country band which I've started to fall into, is Rascal Flatts! Yes, I realized this barely even considered to be country music at all, and is commonly labeled as "The Boy Band of Country" yet their music is very catchy. Not to mention that I took a group of 12 girls to see one of their concerts. 12 ladies (mostly college sophmores and juniors) and myself, packed together in an 8 person minivan. If that's not motivation enough to like country music, I'm not sure what is.

Plus country is great music to know if you can play the acoustic guitar. Great for when your backpacking with some ladies or even your girlfriend, and you bust out the guitar at night and start singing some sentimental tunes. A quick winner right there ;-)

Yet another great reason for country. It's usually about the land, motherhood, women, beer, or trucksFive of the best things in a song. As Harry Chapin once said, "Since it was a country/western song, maybe I could write something with a country ending, something with motherhood this time cause the song already had a truck. [laughter]"

Yet another awesome thing about country; their are alot of great country drinking songs which will just pwn all drinking songs from other genres.

Finally, the Honky Tonk is just the best thing about american life; hell, about life in the entire world. If you don't like it, too bad, for the Honky Tonk will come to consume your everlasting soul.

Cheers,
Smiles

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
« Reply #11 on: 08 Apr 2005, 17:52 »

Quote from: Mnementh
I must admit a soft spot for the Dixie Chicks.

More like a hard spot.

Hell, I was raised listening to things like Tammy Wynette and other greats of old fashioned country/western. It doesn't bother me. If you want some more traditional style country, try things out of New Orleans
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

Mnementh

« Reply #12 on: 08 Apr 2005, 18:01 »

Heh, that too chuck.

Smiley, I disagree, but lets leave politics out of this thread, we're both going to apply our biases to it and I know that we'll never reach an agreement.

Anyway, I see your Rascal Flats and raise you Hank Williams III

Smiley

« Reply #13 on: 08 Apr 2005, 19:09 »

I guess your right; sorry, I get riled up easily. And also being that if I have time to be on the forums, I most likely have time to be drinking.

Anyways.

A Jimmie Rodgers to your Hank Williams III.

daviesmatt

« Reply #14 on: 09 Apr 2005, 01:02 »

The Dixie Chicks made me puke a few months ago. I guess the absinthe and bongs didnt help though.

Every time I listen to country music now, it gives me a bad stomach. Nothing against how it sounds, but it just seems to invoke a gag reflex in me nowadays.

Smiley

« Reply #15 on: 09 Apr 2005, 08:06 »

I have the same relationship with rap and modern metal.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: 09 Apr 2005, 08:14 »

When you say 'modern metal' what do you mean? If you mean Metalcore, Nu-Metal and all that crap, I heartily agre with you.

...now, contension time! Folk > Country. Maybe just a nationality thing though.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #17 on: 09 Apr 2005, 08:21 »

I assume you're talking about Anglo-Celtic folk there - 'cause, you know, otherwise it's a pretty broad "genre".

(Can't resist pulling out my favourite Louis Armstrong quote one more time: "All music is folk music.  I ain't never heard no horse sing a song.")

Smiley

« Reply #18 on: 09 Apr 2005, 08:26 »

Folk is generally included in the country genre by people who have no clue what country is, and generally I find that when you say "Country Music" to someone, they tend to think about the folk style of music.

For all intents and purposes, however, folk and country > every thing else. Agreed?

And I love celtic folk ;-)

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #19 on: 09 Apr 2005, 08:30 »

Does bluegrass fall into the category of Folk and country or everything else? Because bluegrass is fucking awesome.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #20 on: 09 Apr 2005, 08:32 »

Pretty much all my favourite bands are folk or folk influenced. I also love 'true' metal, but my favourite genre of all is probably folk metal. The combination of  hard rock with fiddles, tin whistles etc. is too much to resist!

@ Inlander: Celtic and Scandinavian/Finnish. You just can't pass up a bit of humpaa or jolking.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #21 on: 09 Apr 2005, 08:32 »

Quote from: Kai
Does bluegrass fall into the category of Folk and country or everything else?

Pengraffe has thoroughly cured us of that notion in this thread right here.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #22 on: 09 Apr 2005, 08:37 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Scandinavian/Finnish.

I've got a great C.D. by a Finnish contemporary folk duo called Mr. Mäläskä, which I picked up at the National Folk Festival in Canberra several years ago.  Just accordion and fiddle.

(Finland . . . Sigh.)

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #23 on: 09 Apr 2005, 08:41 »

Ooooooh. I might have to try and track something of their down. I've never seen anything bad happen when you give a Finn an accordion.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #24 on: 09 Apr 2005, 08:47 »

The accordion player is named Pekka Pentikäinen, and the violinist is named Antti Soininen.  Hope that helps you track 'em down.  There's a lot of lovely passing of the melody between the fiddle and the accordion, very slyly done so that often you don't notice until it's already happened.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #25 on: 11 Apr 2005, 16:46 »

Del McCoury makes me smile, and so does Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson and the other highwayman whose name I'm having a brainfart over right now... and George Jones and pretty much anything older or traditional. Whee! (Thank you grandpa)
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #26 on: 11 Apr 2005, 19:14 »

Wait wait wait.

Nobody's mentioned Pasty Cline?

Patsy fucking CLINE, people.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

IHeartShinyObjects

« Reply #27 on: 11 Apr 2005, 20:05 »

or jonny cash... come on people. every time i here first time i ever, i mist up. most of the sappy songs i cant listen to anymore because of a past relationship.. never realy did like it any way. but i do love the Cash man. I cried when he died.

californaya

« Reply #28 on: 11 Apr 2005, 20:52 »

Quote from: Johnny C
Wait wait wait.

Nobody's mentioned Pasty Cline?

Sorry, I haven't been to the forum in a while. Otherwise, I would have said her. And Johnny Cash.

I really like Drive-By Truckers. What genre of country, if any, would they fit into?

Druid

« Reply #29 on: 12 Apr 2005, 02:23 »

Quote from: Johnny C

I was looking for that. If I didn't see it, I was going to post it.

What about Roy Orbison and Dwight Yokum?

Phrozen

« Reply #30 on: 12 Apr 2005, 07:37 »

I'm still annoyed that Lefty Frizzel hasn't got a mention in this thread. I'm taking an American Roots Music class right now and when we went over the Western Swing, Honky Tonk and a few other styles that Country music was bred out of I fell in love. Hank Williams was amazing, but Lefty really left me blown away.

Modern country evolved out of what was Western Swing, Honky Tonk, Comboy Songs, Blue grass and, to a lesser degree, Anglo-American Balladry.

But yes, the roots of Country Music kick ass. Now everyone else shut up!

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #31 on: 12 Apr 2005, 07:51 »

Well while we're talking Western Swing, what about Bob Wills?

Phrozen

« Reply #32 on: 12 Apr 2005, 10:20 »

Texas Playboys are god-like!
Pages: [1]   Go Up