THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: PIANO!... Why it is AWESOME! RIGHT HERE!  (Read 14282 times)

FruitKat

• Furry furrier
PIANO!... Why it is AWESOME! RIGHT HERE!
« on: 12 Apr 2005, 06:38 »

Ok, Here we go... You tempted me, So its ALL YOUR FAULT!... Tribute topic to the Piano...

Go on... Why is it an awesome instrument? What are your uhm experiences with it? How did you get started? Best bands with Pianos? Whatever!

Yeah well I'm not very good with introductions, but you have can make up for it!!!...

And if noone posts, It's just going to be me rambling/blubbering on about how I miss my piano... And noone wants that so GO TO IT!

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2005, 06:41 »

We made you start a thread!  We made you start a thread!  Nah-nah!!

Ahem, sorry, had to get it out of my system.  Well, first and foremost pianos are awesome because of the sheer size of the repertoir you can play on them - second to none, especially if you like playing classical.

Secondly, pianos are awesome because they allow us piano-players to look down our noses at all those people who can only play one note at a time on their instruments, and ESPECIALLY those people who can only read one clef of music at a time - ha ha!

AndSheeWas

« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2005, 06:42 »

The piano is one of the two instruments that are played using both thumbs. The other one: the bassoon.

FruitKat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2005, 06:45 »

HAHAHA... I never thought of it like that!! The one note at a time thing... Quite funny really...

I'm quite a fan of Chopins Piano uh... Stuff... To get the ball rolling...
(Sorry about my sentence structures, and use of the English language... I'm not very good at almost 2am, but if you dont get what I mean then it doesnt matter anyway)

yipjumpmusic

« Reply #4 on: 12 Apr 2005, 06:46 »

I kind of/used/just need to be refreshed a lot on reading music but I make up a lot of stuff on my piano.  When things are done I'll share a bit.  I have about 30 something partial songs on the piano done.

I got my piano from my aunt a few many years ago though actually my family bought it from her then I was the one who ended up really using it so now I own it.  Organ got from a friend of a friend.  Would have just given it to me but I paid him something decent I think.

First piano band coming to mind is dresdon dolls
for organ, mates of state

and yeah chopin, have some of his shtuff

eh, more later when i don't need sleep ZZZZZZZ

AndSheeWas

« Reply #5 on: 12 Apr 2005, 06:48 »

Quote from: Inlander
and ESPECIALLY those people who can only read one clef of music at a time - ha ha!

Try switching between clarinet and bassoon..that's some severe clef action..especially when the tenor clef is involved. But I haven't played anything in about 6 years...so yay! Piano players rock!

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #6 on: 12 Apr 2005, 06:49 »

Who's your favourite composer for the piano?  Mine's Liszt - a lot of his short pieces, like the Consolations, are absolutely beautiful, and because he was such a phenomenal piano player and knew the instrument so well you get a real sense playing his music that you're getting as much as you possibly can out of the piano - which you don't get with a lot of other composers, even such great ones as Beethoven.

FruitKat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #7 on: 12 Apr 2005, 07:00 »

As I said Chopin is wonderfulll...
Though pfft... You have actual reasons for liking composers? PFFT!... Legitimate reasons?... ...
Yeah, WELL SO DO I!
Nah seriously, I may come across as an idiot that doesnt know what/who she's talking about (I'll admit it, thats me)... But I like Chopin for the emotion that comes from his pieces... Hard to explain... More like you dont need some stinko lyrics to know and be blown away by whats being "said"... Amazes me every time I listen/play... so enjoyable.
Plus his pieces are brilliant and most are amazingly hard, especially for a girl, trying to play pieces composed by a man who can stretch a lot further than meee obviously...

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #8 on: 12 Apr 2005, 07:03 »

I saw a show on T.V. a while ago with a French pianist, who was playing one of the pianos that Chopin actually owned and composed at - funny thing is, the keys on the piano were much narrower than the keys on the pianos we use today.  So all those Romantic composers didn't have enormous hands, they just had pianos with smaller keys!

(EDIT: Well, some of them had enormous hands as well . . .)

FruitKat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #9 on: 12 Apr 2005, 07:09 »

BAH! That explains a lot! I MUST FIND ONE OF THESE GENIUS PIANOS!...

They'd be pretty crap for people with fat fingers though I suppose...

And I already play the wrong notes too much as it is... I imagine it would make things a lot more difficult... STILL... It is an interesting idea.

Plus after a while you tend to just play intervals not by looking but just from sorta knowing where they are dont you?(I have trouble explaining what I mean) This would turn that upside down! Mind boggling!

Phrozen

« Reply #10 on: 12 Apr 2005, 07:29 »

Mozart played the piano, so does Ben Folds.

If you can play a piano you can play synth.

if you can play synth, every instrument is at your finger tips

dave86

« Reply #11 on: 12 Apr 2005, 07:40 »

Folds is teh win. Also every song Piebald do with pianos is like listening to a nice tub of good things.

SailorPunk

• Obscure cultural reference
    • http://www.xanga.com/moonrose
« Reply #12 on: 12 Apr 2005, 07:54 »

yay! piano!!!!! how i miss thee....i have being 2000kms away from my giant baby.

fave composer - hmmm....rachmaninov...it's just so epic and impressive

ben folds is like my god.

my little sister (who also plays) and i want have wanted to be in a synth band for as long as we can remember.

awesometatstic.
...really polite and kind of squishy...

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #13 on: 12 Apr 2005, 08:02 »

2000 kilometres - wow, and I thought 700 was a long way to be removed from my piano.  SailorPunk, I feel your piano-deprivation pain!

Mockery

« Reply #14 on: 12 Apr 2005, 09:55 »

My favourite piano piece in the world is Chopin's Nocturne No. 13 in E minor

My dad used to play it all the time for his practice, and it reminds me of a book series I was reading, Stephen Lawhead's "In the Hall of the Dragon King" trilogy. It just seemed to match the imagery in my head really well.

On a slightly different note, I played trombone in an orchestra playing Edvard Grieg's Piano Concerto in A minor. That was AWESOME!! Pianos are great!

Hoborg

« Reply #15 on: 12 Apr 2005, 10:57 »

Midi Keyboard and a pirated copy of Reason makes a good cheap piano substitute in a pinch. Not nearly as good as the real thing, o'course, but the NNXT comes with some surprisingly sweet piano samples. Plus you can make funny noises with everything else.

StupidityKills

« Reply #16 on: 12 Apr 2005, 11:07 »

I played the piano when I was 7-13 but quit, I wish I hadn't, I'd love to play again.
Actually I'm trying to sell my piano, so anyone near Bristol wants a 1920's upright mahogony with stool, let me know ;)
lol
I love bands with pianos too. Ben Folds, obv, and Something Corporate. (Yes I heart them, shut up.)

bucky_2300

• Furry furrier
« Reply #17 on: 12 Apr 2005, 11:08 »

Quote from: AndSheeWas
The piano is one of the two instruments that are played using both thumbs. The other one: the bassoon.

Haha! Incorrect, my good sir. Guitar can be played with both thumbs, and I often use both of my thumbs. For instance, in this chord:

Code: [Select]

e-7
B-7
G-8
D-9
A-x
E-7

The bottom string is fretted with the thumb. Also, I can play this with my thumb.

Sorry, but I just had to. ;)

The piano is a great instrument for learning theory on, I kinda wish I'd learned it first before guitar.
My favourite band with piano is The Specials, I can't get enough of that ska.

[/code]
Click Here!

AndSheeWas

« Reply #18 on: 12 Apr 2005, 11:13 »

We'll file that under "technically correct." ;-)

bucky_2300

• Furry furrier
« Reply #19 on: 12 Apr 2005, 11:16 »

/files it away
/sets file cabinet on fire (it's made of wood :<)

We may now proceed with the thread.
Click Here!

Robby

« Reply #20 on: 12 Apr 2005, 12:02 »

MUSE makes the piano rule

atari

« Reply #21 on: 12 Apr 2005, 13:31 »

Rufus Wainright.

John Legend

Let It Be, by the Beatles

After All These Years by Silverchair

Nick Rhodes, even though he's a synth-keyboard player

Phantom of the Opera songs, played by me.

BlueCoatKarma

« Reply #22 on: 12 Apr 2005, 13:40 »

Much love for Radiohead.

Also... musicals tend to be Piano heavy, so some of those fit under favorite music for me.

Finally, Rachmaninov is the man.

Jolouie

« Reply #23 on: 12 Apr 2005, 14:15 »

*Laughs at the piano's inability to slide or bend notes.*

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #24 on: 12 Apr 2005, 14:25 »

Of Montreal-Hopeless Opus or the Great Battle of the Unfriendly Ridiculous is a pretty neat song with a really pretty piano part plus it is four seconds short of 18 minutes-- but it doesn't get boring! Actually, the first 10 minutes are only piano, then they start singing for a little bit.

Hope There's Someone by Antony and the Johnsons is also really nice in an entirely different way.

(and the piano in Monkey Gone to Heaven by the Pixies adds so much, even though it's barely noticeable)
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

dave86

« Reply #25 on: 12 Apr 2005, 15:08 »

"*Laughs at the piano's inability to slide or bend notes.* "

I laugh at the guitar's pitiful range, b10tch.

Muse rock socks. Matt Bellamy's entirely self-taught too! Amaaaazin'. Not such a fan of Radiohead though, too whiney. No offense.

FruitKat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #26 on: 12 Apr 2005, 15:23 »

My favourite Chopin piece is a Prelude, I'm pretty sure Op 28 No 15...
It's so beautiful, and the middle section is extra fun to play!...

Also I love to play "let it be" on the piano loudly and sing even more loudly... Beautiful... Well not for those who listen :S...

I'm glad of all the other piano fans out there! Keep it up!..

Moriarty

« Reply #27 on: 12 Apr 2005, 15:26 »

Moonlight Sonata all the way...That and the Daredevil edit of My Immortal

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
« Reply #28 on: 12 Apr 2005, 15:39 »

John. Fucking. Cage. The man put nuts, bolts, and spoons in between his piano strings just to change the timbre of it.
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

betteroffdead

« Reply #29 on: 12 Apr 2005, 15:47 »

oo i love pianos. wish i could play (i know the basic notes and whatnot, but the whole playing-two-different-things-at-once thing confounds me). my favourite piano-playing band is the dresden dolls. but really, it's all about synth. mates of state, metric, the reunion show... mmmm. i also enjoy piano rocking showtunes, like little shop of horrors and rocky horror and the like.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #30 on: 12 Apr 2005, 15:48 »

ForteBass, you beat me to it!  That's how you bend and slide notes on a piano.

That, or get a really old and decrepit one.  I once played just such a piano: it was making the weirdest noises, so when I opened up the front to have a look in (it was an upright) I found out that the hammers, when struck, had a tendency to hit their own strings - and then bounce across to the next set of strings!  That was a cool piano.

StrikeThePostman

« Reply #31 on: 12 Apr 2005, 17:21 »

I'm joining all the Chopin lovers here...  My personal favourite to play is Etude in C Minor, Opus 10, No. 12, because it's a good outlet for anger and all that good stuff.  The Prelude StarlightRecyler mentioned is really nice too.  Just now I'm learning the Fantasie Impromptu, which is a great piece but unfortunately a bitch to play.

Another favourite is Debussy.  A few years ago I detested his music because I couldn't play Clair de Lune correctly, but hey, opinions change.  I wouldn't have listened to Ben Folds a few years ago either.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #32 on: 12 Apr 2005, 17:25 »

Back when I had a piano within easy reach (sigh . . .) I also played a lot of 20th century Russian music: Prokofiev's "Visions Fugitives" has some amazing stuff in it, and Skryabin's preludes are so beautiful and weird and wonderful.

ayePod

« Reply #33 on: 12 Apr 2005, 17:27 »

Im just back from the hell is for heroes gig and the support band jacobs stories had a piano. They also had 'madd skillz'. Like Sigur Ros,Isis,et,etc. Definetly worth checking out.

StrikeThePostman

« Reply #34 on: 12 Apr 2005, 17:29 »

Oh, and Liszt's Transcendental Etudes are amazing.  For listening.  I'm not playing those quite yet.

FruitKat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #35 on: 12 Apr 2005, 19:07 »

Quote from: StrikeThePostman
I'm joining all the Chopin lovers here...  My personal favourite to play is Etude in C Minor, Opus 10, No. 12, because it's a good outlet for anger and all that good stuff.  The Prelude StarlightRecyler mentioned is really nice too.  Just now I'm learning the Fantasie Impromptu, which is a great piece but unfortunately a bitch to play.

Another favourite is Debussy.  A few years ago I detested his music because I couldn't play Clair de Lune correctly, but hey, opinions change.  I wouldn't have listened to Ben Folds a few years ago either.

Yay! I'm all for Debussy too... A couple of years back I played "le petit negre" for an exam, and loved it... Especially the part where your left hand plays octaves over your right hand...(once again hard to describe)... but yeah LOTS OF FUN!

Bah, and I'm listening to Fantasie Impromptu now and it sounds SUPER hard, so go you for being really good ... hehe.

And if you don't like Scott Joplin, theres obviously something wrong with you!...

How long have you guys been playing for?

ForteBass

« Reply #36 on: 12 Apr 2005, 19:17 »

Quote from: StrikeThePostman
Oh, and Liszt's Transcendental Etudes are amazing.  For listening.  I'm not playing those quite yet.

Not many people can. Liszt had a penchant for writing his etudes in a virtuistic style. IE Basically only piano virtuosos can play them.
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #37 on: 12 Apr 2005, 19:18 »

Quote from: StarlightRecycler

I've been playing since I was about 8 or 9, I guess - I'm 25 now, so more than 15 years (holy crap!).  However for the majority of that I didn't practice nearly as much as I should have - the real love for the piano didn't hit me until about 6 or 7 years ago.

EDIT: and on the subject of Liszt - there are a lot of misconceptions about his work.  Certainly, his longer pieces are absolute fiends, but a lot of his short pieces are absolutely beautiful, and much less demanding on the player's technique.  Apart from the Consolations (1 and 4 in particular are stunning) he wrote a lot of arrangements and transcriptions of chorales, folk songs, etc.  And there's a lot more depth of emotion in his work than he's often given credit for: most people these days, including concert pianists, seem to think that playing Liszt needs to be something spectacular and fff - not so.  When you look at his pieces on the page, the dynamics are often very carefully thought out to provide contrast - for instance, his arrangement of Von Arcadelt's "Ave Maria" has some brilliant contrast between forte and piano passages of otherwise identical phrases which really bring out full range of each note.  His work is also littered with moments of reflective silence - which even in professional performances are often left out altogether in favour of sustained notes.  And in terms of sheer emotional impact, his "Abscheid" (or "Farewell" - I think it's an arrangement of a Russian folk song) is second to none.

yipjumpmusic

« Reply #38 on: 12 Apr 2005, 19:36 »

As for me, I've "played" off and on, (sometimes weeks apart when I am really really busy)for...hmm 4 years or so?  Not sure.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #39 on: 12 Apr 2005, 21:50 »

1) Bela Bartok
2) Ben Folds
3) John Lennon
4) J.S. Bach
5) Beethoven

I'm in grade 7 Royal Conservatory, so I've tackled 4 out of those 5 but I still suck at jazz.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

FruitKat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #40 on: 13 Apr 2005, 03:25 »

Come one peoples, you can't be letting the piano is awesome thread die? The piano is more awesome than that!

I've been playing the piano since I was 7, so for about 11 years, but like Inlander it's taken me a while to really get into it, though I never gave up... I just seemed to have "better" things to do...

Oh, and I'm listening to a pretty Album Leaf song at the moment, and it has nice piano in it... because piano is cool.

I can't believe theres been no takers on the Scott Joplin thing either, whats wrong with you guys? :P

AndSheeWas

« Reply #41 on: 13 Apr 2005, 04:58 »

I missed the Scott Joplin thing. I love the ragtime piany!

ForteBass

« Reply #42 on: 13 Apr 2005, 10:21 »

Not so much a fan of Ragtime as I am of Boogie Woogie. Pinetop Smith is friggin' great.

daneford

« Reply #43 on: 13 Apr 2005, 12:34 »

I'm pretty sure xPIANOCOREx is the best piano thing ever :D

StrikeThePostman

« Reply #44 on: 13 Apr 2005, 12:56 »

About 9 years - from age seven to sixteen.  

The Fantasie Impromptu sounds really difficult, but once you see it on paper it's not so bad.  Still insane, though.  I'm thinking that if it took me almost a year to conquer the Etude in C Minor, the Fantasie will take almost two, anyway.  

And I love Scott Joplin too.  :-P
[/i]

FruitKat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #45 on: 13 Apr 2005, 14:23 »

Haha jesus christ, that first screen gave me the meanest fright... SCARY SHIT!....
HAHAHA I'm still laughing...
This sounds a lot like the whistle/bottle core band that my friends made... Except a bit more musically inclined...
HAHAHA....
Cant stop laughing...

Anyone got pictures of their babies? What kinda pianos do you have? I got me's a good old yamaha, which everyone else says is the crappiest thing ever, but I dont mind it one bit... I like the timbre (is that the right word to use) or tone or whatever of it... for my style anyway...
Maybe one day when I'm old and awesome i'll have a room fullllll of them *dreams*...

Jolouie

« Reply #46 on: 13 Apr 2005, 22:09 »

Classical/Flamenco Guitarists > Pianists in my opinion.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #47 on: 13 Apr 2005, 22:20 »

Bah!  You non-pianists and your portable instruments . . .

FruitKat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #48 on: 14 Apr 2005, 02:49 »

*SECONDS THE BAH!!!*

HMS Odell

« Reply #49 on: 14 Apr 2005, 03:14 »

I'm quite a fan of Chopins Piano uh... Stuff...

as am i. it's really freeflowing. mm.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up