THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 19:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: My Top 25 Albums Of All Time  (Read 37129 times)

I Am Not Amused

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.myspace.com/bittercamparimusic
My Top 25 Albums Of All Time
« Reply #100 on: 07 May 2005, 18:54 »

My friends and I actually take about an hour out of our schedules every day for a month to discuss these things together. We start with just about every album we've ever liked, whittling down the list to however many albums we feel we don't want to part with.

Listening sessions where albums that are close in position are listened to back to back are numerous and are actually the most helpful bit of the entire process.

I am as completely confident in my list right now as I was when I posted it. These were the top five 'not quite' albums.

Microphones, The Glow, Pt. 2
Manic Street Preachers, This Is My Truth, Tell Me Yours
Death Cab For Cutie, The Photo Album
Modest Mouse, Good News For People That Love Bad News
Bob Dylan, Blood On The Tracks
Zac Efron wants a sourcebox lulz.

Revenge_Therapist

« Reply #101 on: 13 May 2005, 09:50 »

25. Bad Religion-Suffer
The first new school punk rock record. Great melodies, and wonderful lyrics. Too bad most of their ilk were just trash. *Dirty looks at Social Distortion.*
24. Modest Mouse- The Moon and Antartica
One of the first non punk rock albums I listened too in the 21st century. Great music, very obtuse, but strangely accessable. Recommended to anyone who wonders about all these bands Jeph keeps talking about.
23. Bouncing Souls- Tie One On.
The only way to hear this band. The Live records format comes off better than most punk rock bands. The standout track is chunksong.
22. Q and Not U- No Kill No Beep Beep
Very accessable, tight melodies, wonderfully textured rhythms, and very smart (assed?) lyrics.
21. Dead Kennedys- Frankenchrist
This is the paradigmatic punk record. Jello Biafra showed his true genius, too bad due to the trials relating to the art of this record it soon turned to insanity.
20. KMFDM- UAIOE
Before they were a cleshea of goth teen angst. Before the played shitty techno-metal. Before Sasha K lost his goddamn mind and kicked out everyone and reformed the "band" with all new members. There were keyboards, clever lyrics, sparse guitars, and a great sense of humor. This record is the height of 80'sindustrial.
19. Big Black- Bulldozer EP
Steve Albini, young, pissed, and at the helm. Really just get the fuck out of the way, your stereo may try and kill you.
18. Pegboy-Strong Reaction/Three Chord Monte
Former members of Naked Raygun and Big Black formed this Chicago rock supergroup. a very good departure form the hard/agressive edge of their former bands, but it does keep good rock beat, and awesome guitars.
17. Nine Inch Nails- Broken EP.
Ministry takes over the musicianship here. Shortly after hus callaboraton with Pigface, he asked Al jorgenson, and Martin Atkins to play drums, it left Reznor to scream like the angsty bitch he is. Great stuff. (on a sidenote, due to the label on Suck being by T. Reznor/Pigface, Trent was subject to many a humilating remix at the hands of Pigface's rather inevntive crew.
16. Ministry-In Case you Didn't feel like showing up
Ministry live, has every good track they every did. This is really all you need of their catalouge.
15. Neil Young- After The Gold Rush
FeaturesSouthern Man, the inspiration for Lynyrd Skynard's retarded ass "Sweet Home Albama". As for Mr. Young's record, this is him at his peak. Awesome song writing, and even better melodies to back it up. Recommended for newbies to classic rock.
14. Misfits- Evilive
Worth Henry Rollins doing guest vocals on We are 138, the rest is forgetable, but that moment is fucking priceless.
13.Circle Jerks- Group Sex
Keith Morris is Mr. FUCKING PUNK ROCK. Listen to this records, words cannot describe how hard this rocks.
12. Boris the Sprinkler- Saucer to Saturn
Green Bay punk rock. Sorry just needed a localish band on here.
11. Subhumans- 29:29 split vision
They showed they were more than another shitty english hardcore band here. Great powerful political lyrics.
10. 999- Seperates
Awesome records, highlight track, Let's face It.
9. Buzzcocks-Singles Going Steady
This is a classic. If you don't have it get it.
8. The Specials-S/t.
This was what ska is supposed to sound like.
7. Built to Spill-Keep it like a Secret
Everyone knows these guys so I don't have to say much. Spacy rock and roll. Stand out track "You were right"
6. Beatles-Revolver
Really I don't have to decribe this here. This and Rubber soul are the only Beatles records I still get down with. Definitly their peak period.
5. Cake- Fashion Nugget
I know every word and I never get sick of this, almost 10 years and counting of sevral palys a week.
4. Shellac- At Action Park
This record is one of the best I have ever heard, you can taste the bile, and the drums can cause your flat to shake like an earthquake.
3. Fifteen- Lucky
Jeff Ott is one the best political song writers of the berkley scene. As Mitch Clem said, he said that this guy lived in avan in the woods for a year. Amazingly poppy punk without beign childish.
2. Fugazi-Repeater
This record changed everything about music for me. I love the fact it's punk but no where near anything I'd ever heard before. I've been obsessed with this band ever since.
1. The Clash- London Calling
The swan song of english punk rock. It was never the same after this, but it was never done so well. What a great close to their era.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #102 on: 13 May 2005, 17:28 »

Oh man, how could you have all that cool industriual stuff and decent pnk, then have all that fucing cack? Like the clash, i mean, man, everyone was going like 'the clash and the sex pistols' so I downloaded some and I thought they sucked ass, give me some anti-nowhere leaguoe or something as far as pun k goes,.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Revenge_Therapist

« Reply #103 on: 13 May 2005, 17:29 »

Dude I'll give you the Sex Pistols as novelty. Listen to White Riot or Safe European Home. They may be up your alley as far as the Clash is concerned.

weevil

« Reply #104 on: 13 May 2005, 17:32 »

Based on your name, I don't think I can forgive you for not putting Jawbreaker on that list.

Also, the Sex Pistols are musically worthless.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #105 on: 13 May 2005, 17:34 »

what does fucking musically worthless mean snob-ass?

Not that I really like the pistols much, tbh, neyond a few songs. As I said, fucking Anti-Nowhere League.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Revenge_Therapist

« Reply #106 on: 13 May 2005, 17:36 »

Honestly that would make me the guy in the t-shirt at the show.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #107 on: 13 May 2005, 17:38 »

DONT IGNOER ME! Even if I do not comprehend you now, I will be able to read your postins in the morning when I have made my genre progression from drunk to post-drunk.

hehe, thats funny because people say that post just means you take the fun out and the morning afters never fun.

Katili

« Reply #108 on: 13 May 2005, 18:09 »

Top 25 is difficult for me, as I can't rate albums, and I don't have 25 anyway.
But, here's a list of albums I like/want.  There may be more than 25, I don't know, and 2am is not counting time for me.

Manic Street Preachers - Generation Terrorists
The Cure - The Cure
Placebo - Placebo
Placebo - Once More With Feeling (Singles 1996-2004)
BRMC - Take Them on on Your Own
BRMC - B.R.M.C.
The Arcade Fire - Funeral
The Virgin Radio Album
Radiohead - OK Computer
Razorlight - Up All Night
Embrace - Out Of Nothing
The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute
Stereophonics - Word Gets Around
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
Athlete - Tourist
Gwen Stefani - Love Angel Music Baby
Stereophonics - Language. Sex. Violence. Other?
The Bravery - The Bravery
The Futureheads - The Futureheads
The Libertines - The Libertines
Kasabian - Kasabian
The Killers - Hot Fuss
Manic Street Preachers - Forever Delayed
Snow Patrol - Final Straw
Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
U2 - How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
Iron & Wine- Woman King
Iron & Wine- Our Endless Numbered Days
The Postal Service- Give Up
Ratatat- Ratatat
The Shins- Chutes Too Narrow
Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes
Tori Amos - Under the Pink
Tori Amos - Boys for Pele
Tori Amos - From the Choirgirl Hotel
Tori Amos - Strange Little Girls
Tori Amos - To Venus and Back
Tori Amos - Scarlet's Walk
Tori Amos - Tales of a Librarian
Tori Amos - Welcome to Sunny Florida
Tori Amos - The Beekeeper

weevil

« Reply #109 on: 13 May 2005, 18:59 »

All the Sex Pistols were were forebearers of the Punk movement. Pretty Vacant's the only song I can stomach, I think the rest is pretty crappy. But then again, I also think Crass sucks, so my opinion shouldn't count for much.

I don't get the guy in the t-shirt at the show comment. Are you saying that because your name references Jawbreaker, you're not allowed to like Jawbreaker? It may've gone over my head, sorry.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #110 on: 13 May 2005, 19:20 »

I fucking hate the Sex Pistols.  They brought in everything I hate about punk rock and became wash-up assholes before the 80s even got here. I know punk isn't renowned for its musicianship, but that doesn't give you the write to  make shit up on a bass. Bah. Enough, I just hate them, as for Jawbreaker, Dear You would be on my top 25 list for sure.
I like the way you work it.

niatinari

« Reply #111 on: 13 May 2005, 19:41 »

Because it's Friday the 13th, I give you my top 13.  (That and I'm terribly indecisive, and this was just too hard after a while!)

It's not what most would consider the top album of all times, but they're my current favorites.  I have to warn you all that I'm not very familiar with a lot of indie music, so I anticipate few will agree with my opinions.  Think my list is shameful and needs improvement?  Introduce me to something, and maybe it will make the next list.  I'll definitely give anything a try!  Curious about something you're unfamiliar with?  Let me know.

13. They Might Be Giants -- Flood
Still know every word.  Still makes me happy.  In exchange for introducing me to Rasputina, I shared with Jesse the joy of TMBG.  He still loves me for it.
Picks: "Birdhouse In Your Soul" and "Whistling In The Dark"

12. The Flaming Lips -- Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
This infectious happiness was given to me to keep me from dying while studying for finals, and I became hooked.  
Picks: "Ego Tripping At The Gates of Hell" and "Do You Realize?"

11. Rent Original Broadway Cast -- The Best of Rent
What?!  Another musical?  Yes indeed.  I love Rent.  It never ceases to make me smile and sing along.  And it was especially applicable for me a little while ago when I was hunting for a job and a place to live....
Picks: "Rent" and "La Vie Boheme"

10. Ani DiFranco -- Imperfectly
This took a while to grow on me, but now that is has, it's sticking.  Maybe it was all the gender inequality classes....  Seems to be pretty love or hate though....
Picks: "What If No One's Watching" and "If It Isn't Her"

9. Rasputina -- Cabin Fever!
Thanks go to Jesse for turning me on to Rasputina!  Prague would not have been the same without the great music exchange.  Good stuff, but I'm uncertain how to describe it.
Picks: "Rats" and "My Orphanage"

8. Frank Wildhorn -- Jekyl and Hyde
Nope.  Not kidding at all.  Better than the Broadway version, this two disc set contains some of the best stuff, which was cut from the show.  Maybe it's sentimental reasons that keep me listening because I've got some great memories to go with these, but I'm still listening, and I still love it.  Good vocals.
Picks: "The World Has Gone Insane" and "Girls of the Night"

7. Nightwish -- Over the Hills and Far Away
Again, it was an epic battle betwee this, Angels Fall First, and Once, but this one wins.  Perhaps I'm just not used to Once yet, but I've been listening to this longer and stuck with it faithfully.  Also, you have to admit, when it comes to music videos, "Over the Hills and Far Away" was an awesome video where the "Wish I Had an Angel" video on the cd made me cry.  In the bad way.
Picks: "Over the Hills and Far Away" and "10th Man Down"

6. Dir en grey -- Withering to Death
Kyo gets credit for being the first singer I could tolerate while he's screaming, and now I just scream along.  The lyrics are dense, like confessional poetry cut apart so that only the imagery and hints of the true story remain, and I appreciate that.  And for this one, it might be a plus if no one around you can understand the lyrics ^_~
Picks: "The Final" and "Itoshisa ha Fuhai ni Tsuki"

5. Alkaline Trio -- Goddammit
Too much fun was had with this album, and I still enjoy it, so it had to appear on the list as well.  Not much more to say here.
Picks: "Sorry About That" and "Enjoy Your Day"

4. Alkaline Trio -- Alkaline Trio
It was a toss up between this one, From Here to Infirmary, and Maybe I'll Catch Fire, and Goddammit, but this one has stayed in rotation on my playlist longer and stronger so it won out.  Fond memories of my freshmen year of college here.
Picks: "Cooking Wine" and "Sundials"

3. Gackt -- The Seventh Night
What?  Isn't this album just a compilation of songs from previous albums in their accoustic versions?  Yes, it is, and I adore it.  I am a sucker for accoustic versions to begin with, but here, every song is re-arranged to work in this entirely unplugged, highly intimate feeling album.  There's a sense of just sitting around a stage in a small joint listening to Gackt and JOB.  And somehow, Gackt's voice, which is already compelling and gorgeous, becomes its own instrument here.  I love that man, and this album has every one of my favorite songs.  Can't lose there, if you like Japanese ^_~
Picks: "Last Song" and "Kimi no Tame ni Dekiru Koto"

2. Athenaeum -- Radiance
This album was just the protective voice I needed after a serious romantic mauling.  But you know what?  Years later, I still love it.  It's no longer my emotional medicine; now it's just one of my favorites.  Not particularly musically complex or impressive, but I'm more into lyrics and the sense I get from songs anyway.
Picks: "Different Situation" and "Lifeline"

1. Frou Frou -- Details
I bought this album on impulse after hearing the song "Must Be Dreaming," and I have never regretted it.  In fact, other songs from the album quickly shot up higher on my list of favorites, which for me is always a good sign.  It's a rare thing for me to love every song on an album.  Also, Imogen is equipped with amazing vocals and the ability to make light of subject matter such as disillusionment and disappointment in love without ever sounding whiny.
Picks: "It's Good to Be in Love" and "Must Be Dreaming"

*edited because I was dead wrong about something.  meep.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #112 on: 13 May 2005, 19:50 »

Quote from: niatinari
5. Alkaline Trio -- Goddammit
Too much fun was had with this album, and I still enjoy it, so it had to appear on the list as well.  Not much more to say here.
Picks: "Sorry About That" and "Radio"

I don't mean to nitpick, but Radio wasn't on Goddamnit, great song though.  It first appeared on Maybe I'll Catch Fire, quite possibley the darkest record, proving to be my favourite. I think I'll go listen to it now!
I like the way you work it.

niatinari

« Reply #113 on: 13 May 2005, 19:58 »

Ack!  Well, can't call it nitpicking when I'm wrong.  That's what I get for burning everything to my computer and then not double checking the actual cd cases!

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #114 on: 14 May 2005, 06:00 »

This isn't in any order, and I'll probably change my mind about these right after I post it but it'll do. I've also limited myself to one album per band, since otherwise this would have been really dull.

1. Dead Kennedys - Plastic Surgery Disasters
I would go for Frankenchrist, but sadly 'Hellnation' makes it fall just below the mark of their second album. Jello's bitter, paranoid, world-weary and often very funny rants are in their prime here even stepping into the territory of his personal life ('Dead End') which he normally left alone.
2. Refused - The Shape Of Punk To Come
When I first heard this it didn't sound like anything I'd ever come across. Not always successful but stupendous, intelligent hardcore which was unafraid to experiment. And it has such damn good style.
3. Submission Hold - Waiting For Another Monkey To Throw The First Brick
Flutes and folk mixing smoothly with politically-charged, angry hardcore. Worth inclusion for the epic statement 'Source Of Fuck', possibly the finest feminist song ever written.
4. Shellac - At Action Park
No-one does hate like Albini, and it drips from his stabbing guitar here while Trainer and Weston batter away behind him.
5. Fugazi - In On The Kill Taker
Not their greatest achievement, but my favourite album of theirs (today, anyway). 'Great Cop' sounds like Mackaye proving he can still front the best straight-up hardcore band in the world if he damn well feels like it and 'Returning The Screw' is a whole other kind of vicious.
6. Rites of Spring - Rites of Spring
Overwrought and maybe even cheesy. But I don't care, Picciotto becomes more and more distraught as the songs go on making them painfully honest emotional gasps. Also merits inclusion for the fact that in my opinion emo saved hardcore from becoming moronic and uninventive.
7. MC5 - Kick Out The Jams
The greatest live album of all time. Pure rock power and swaggering sexuality with fiery politics.
8. Orchid - Dance Tonight! Revolution Tomorrow!
Some of the best guitars I've ever heard, excellent drumming and I love their lyrics.
9. Imbalance - Wreaks Havoc With The Inner Ear
Okay, Imbalance never really recorded anything to match up to their live shows and this feels somewhat like a stepping stone to somewhere else which they sadly didn't reach. But this is nevertheless a great piece of intelligent hardcore.
10. Black Flag - Damaged
Unlike some people I really like their later stuff, but this is just such a perfect hardcore album I had to go for it. Abrasive, bleak, excellent.
11. Captain Beefheart - Clear Spot
Trout Mask Replica is a better album, but much as I love it I don't love it as much as I do this. I couldn't even begin to try and describe the mighty Captain though.
12. The Delgados - Peloton
It's such a shame that they fell off after this album, since it's superb. Beautiful songs that make you want to fall in love with someone Scottish.
13. Minutemen - Double Nickels On The Dime
Sheer class, and contains 'History Lesson - Part II' which for my money is a contendor for the title of 'greatest song ever written'.
14. Minor Threat - Discography
I know a discography is cheating a bit, but this is all I have and when listening I've never thought about which release the track playing comes from. Copied by thousands, surpassed by none.
15. Dicks - 1980-1986
Bluesy, soulful hardcore and yet another collection rather than an album proper. This band deserve more mentions than they get.
16. Circle Jerks - Group Sex
Snotty as hell, the musical equivalent of flipping someone off.
17. Stalingrad - Stalingrad CD
Hate-filled and probably the most downright nasty record I own. Metalcore meets noise, with guest vocals from the late General Leigh of Doom and Ian Leck of Voorhees this is completely unrelenting and a staggering achievement.
18. Arab Strap - Mad For Sadness
Filthy melancholy. All that needs to be said really.
19. Melt-Banana - Cell-Scape
Japanese mentalists annihilate pop. I'll never really understand this record, and that's no bad thing.
20. Ramones - Leave Home
Bubblegum rock and roll supremacy.
21. Kerosene 454 - Race
Not really a proper album since it's a collection of material, but it works very well as a complete record. A dense, powerful sound there are numerous moments of tension and resolution, and the way the songs move from mood to mood several times within just a few minutes is superb.
22. Lucero - That Much Further West
A country record that punks like basically. Not massively innovative, this is just great songwriting.
23. Tom Waits - Bone Machine
The one record that can make me well up a little. Waits has a great sense of humour too when he's not trying to break your heart.
24. Leadbelly - In The Evening When The Sun Goes Down
The record from this list I've been listening to the longest. A blues classic.
25. The Velvet Underground - The Best of The Velvet Underground Featuring Nico
Yes, I know, 'best of' records suck and all that. But this is a fantastic double-vinyl collection and has a lot of sentimental value for me since it belonged to my Mum and my sister and I used to play it together. It really does have all their best songs on it and nothing from Loaded, which though good isn't in the same class as this stuff, and I'd much rather play this than any of their individual records.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Revenge_Therapist

« Reply #115 on: 14 May 2005, 06:15 »

No but posting that I like Jawbreaker would be redundant. It's exactly like wearing a t-shirt to a show. You liek the band we know you liek the band. You don;t need to broadcast it twice as hard.

sketchyjoe

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #116 on: 14 May 2005, 07:19 »

Quote from: a pack of wolves

15. Dicks - 1980-1986
Bluesy, soulful hardcore and yet another collection rather than an album proper. This band deserve more mentions than they get.
The Dicks are seriously underrated.
Limber limp with a dry martini

Until....

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #117 on: 14 May 2005, 07:30 »

I know, people always seem to skip over them when talking about 80s hardcore but for my money they're much superior to, say, Faith or MDC (who I do like) and really ought to get at least as much recognition as those guys.
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Revenge_Therapist

« Reply #118 on: 14 May 2005, 07:31 »

It's all about Void when you're talking about 80's hardcore. Well GI too.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #119 on: 14 May 2005, 07:38 »

Void do kick a lot of ass. But GI are annihilated by the might of tracks like 'Dicks Hate The Police', 'I Hope You Get Drafted' and 'Dead In A Motel Room'.

I Am Not Amused

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.myspace.com/bittercamparimusic
« Reply #120 on: 14 May 2005, 11:19 »

Revenge Therapist

You're from Milwaukee? Small world, I am from Sturgeon Bay, about three hours north.
Zac Efron wants a sourcebox lulz.

Revenge_Therapist

« Reply #121 on: 14 May 2005, 12:41 »

No WI pride on the locale marker though. Only joking. Well we midwesterns need to band together. I am recieving my mic CD from a MI person.

sketchyjoe

« Reply #122 on: 14 May 2005, 18:53 »

I know, people always seem to skip over them when talking about 80s hardcore but for my money they're much superior to, say, Faith or MDC (who I do like) and really ought to get at least as much recognition as those guys.
The Dicks, The Big Boys, Black Market Baby and The Fearless Iranians From Hell deserve a lot more attention than they get.

Until....

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #123 on: 14 May 2005, 18:56 »

I don't even recognise the names Black Market Baby and The Fearless Iranians From Hell. Who were they?

sketchyjoe

« Reply #124 on: 14 May 2005, 19:30 »

The Fearless Iranians From Hell are another Texas 80s hardcore band. They wore ski masks and sang songs about being fundamentalist muslim terrorists with songs like Die For Allah and Dog Sperm.

Black Market Baby are a great band from DC. They're probably my favourite DC band after Bad Brains. Their music is 80s hardcore influenced by english punk.

Until....

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #125 on: 14 May 2005, 19:32 »

Hmm, I'll have to do a little investigating on those guys. They sound interesting, and I've always been a sucker for DC bands (as my list above shows).

sketchyjoe

Until....

ASturge

« Reply #127 on: 15 May 2005, 06:42 »

Gwen Stefani?

The Killers?

Snow Patrol?

The Libertines?

....I want to burn you...

Robbo

« Reply #128 on: 15 May 2005, 06:46 »

You needed to qoute that whole thing for that? Burn yourself as well and I'll lend you the napalm.

ASturge

« Reply #129 on: 15 May 2005, 06:51 »

Sorted, and also.

Go burn yourself! I'll lend you the flamethrower.

Robbo

« Reply #130 on: 15 May 2005, 06:52 »

Hmmmm, that's a fair trade off. Clearly such an event needs to be filmed for the intraweb to enjoy for all time.

*Sets up video camera and takes the flamethrower*

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #131 on: 15 May 2005, 07:27 »

6. Dir en grey -- Withering to Death

3. Gackt -- The Seventh Night

Man, I appreciate J-Rock, went though a phase for it years back, but my oh my oh my, do Gackt and DeG have the scariest fangirls in the world.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #132 on: 15 May 2005, 08:41 »

Quote from: ASturge
Gwen Stefani?

The Killers?

Snow Patrol?

The Libertines?

....I want to burn you...

Since you listed the Offspring in your top 5 along with the words 'can't beat a little old school punk' I don't think you should be getting too militant there :)

niatinari

« Reply #133 on: 15 May 2005, 09:23 »

Man, I appreciate J-Rock, went though a phase for it years back, but my oh my oh my, do Gackt and DeG have the scariest fangirls in the world.

Agreed.  I propose that the Gackt fangirls are just a bit scarier though.  There are women living in Japan right now just "to support [their] Gackt habit."

Although, tied for most scary in my mind are the hard core Mana fans that are still pissed that Malice Mizer is gone.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #134 on: 15 May 2005, 10:51 »

Although, tied for most scary in my mind are the hard core Mana fans that are still pissed that Malice Mizer is gone.

How about the people who write ManaxGacktxKaoru homoerotic fanfiction? I met oneof those once. She was a small slightly chubby goth from Liverpool, and she had a big handbag. Full of photos and writings. Including a hand-annotated scrap-book of images that proved Dire En Greys various loves for each other.

Man, she was a scary lady.

niatinari

« Reply #135 on: 15 May 2005, 11:06 »

How about the people who write ManaxGacktxKaoru homoerotic fanfiction?

Those people scare me.  Of course, all slash fiction scares me.  Or maybe fanfiction as a whole scares me....

edit: sucky slashfic to make your eyes bleed, along with snarky commentary to justify reading

Some of these hackings are quite amusing....

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #136 on: 15 May 2005, 11:07 »

Quote from: sketchyjoe
Check out:
http://www.30underdc.com/
http://homepages.nyu.edu/~cch223/mainpage.html
http://www.dementlieu.com/~obik/arc/

Thanks! That 30 Under DC site's really interesting, I wish I knew more of the history of that town. Most of the stuff I've read, like American Hardcore, focuses on the big names with little more than lists for the others. I've sadly never been able to afford Dance of Days, although I did make a couple of the dates they did over here on the book tour. The riot grrrl documentary they screened was amazing.

banev

« Reply #137 on: 30 May 2005, 03:58 »

So, I´m new to the forum and this is my musical taste. I´m just discovering the beauty of good pop music, so in a year there will be more pop records in it, I think. For now, it´s a nice mixture of metal, punk and other indie stuff. A lot of them is German, which is quite weird, for I hate this fucking country where unfortunately I was born. Nice music scene, though.

Here goes the list, in no particular order:

Katatonia – Last Fair Deal Gone Down
One of the most emotional albums of all times, a true masterpiece of that blistful type of melancholy that reveals so much hope in the end; Independent Rock far from all standards.

Empyrium – Songs Of Moors & Misty Fields
The definite Empyrium album; made in 1997, this German three-piece shows us how dark romanticism must sound like; romantic and beautiful metal music.

In The Woods... – Omnio
The masterpiece of these Norwegian really deserves the term “progressive”, for it progresses the standards of dark metal to a more avantgarde approach.

Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra & Tralala Band – Horses In The Sky
I love that singing! I love those melodies! Someone heard my prayers for a more catchy version of Mt. Zion, and there it is. So beautiful, so heartwarming music.

The Decemberists – Picaresque
Simply the best pop album I ever listened to. That mixture of folk and pop music feels like coming home to me, like I finally found what I was looking for. Their other albums, of course, are great as well.

Turbostaat – Schwan
Now I have this passion for melancholic punk rock (or, if you like, “emo-punk”) and Turbostaat are definetely the best band from that genre nowadays. I think this could be the most passionate music to listen to.

Pain Of Salvation – Remedy Lane
This might be the best “progressive” album I know. Pop, metal and folk meet and create something very beautiful and deep. You should even listen to it if you don´t like Dream Theater or other so called “prog”-bands ´cause it sounds very different from that; Pain Of Salvation is unique.

Chefdenker – Eine von hundert Mikrowellen
This is punk rock´n´roll the way it is meant to be – ironic and ass-kicking. Music that makes you laugh and cry and definitely drink. The best lyrics ever.

Dackelblut – Schützen und fordern
Jens Rachut´s lyrics are even better than the best lyrics ever. Punk, intelligent and witty. Guitarwork has been inspired by the Wipers.

Die Apokalyptischen Reiter – Soft & Stronger
Metal Will Never Die! This weird mixture of grindcore, death metal and the catchiest, most hymnal parts you´ve ever heard in a metal record is therefore the best metal record ever. And yes, I know fucking “Reign In Blood”!

World/Inferno Friendship Society – Just The Best Party
Just the best party. Punk rock in a circus, makes you wanna shout, dance, scream and live.

Borknagar – Borknagar
My favourite black metal album; it´s one of the two I know without a fucking satanist or nazi background; just a true musical version of nature´s wildness. The other one is Ulver´s “Bergtatt”, which is quite good as well, but Borknagar are rougher and have better songs, simply the best I heard from that genre.

Dornenreich – Her von welken Nächten
Although it´s often categorized as black metal, I think this is not a black metal record, for it lacks the typical blast beats and this ice-cold atmosphere most of the time. “Her von welken Nächten” is some kind of ingenious avantgarde metal album, very catchy and sophisticated at one time.

Opeth – My Arms Your Hearse
Much has been said about Opeth, but noone mentions this album, their third effort. It´s a bit faster than the others, and the lyrics are in epic prosa, telling a story. What a great band.

Summoning – Dol Guldur
If you like Tolkien, you have to listen to this. It´s the best soundtrack of Lord Of The Rings ever. Very long, minimalistic soundscapes created with a computer, a guitar and a shrieking black metal voice.

Against Me! – Reinventing Axl Rose
Great punkrock. You all know them, I hope.

Pascow – Richard Nixon Discopistole
Another German punk record, these guys kick ass.

Amanda Woodward – La decadence de la decadence
My favourite mid-90ies-emocore-album, made 2004. They are from France, they rock AND they are desperate.

Autumnblaze – Bleak
Music to bury yourself. Comes from very deep in the artist´s heart. So beautiful music.

Paragon Of Beauty – Comfort Me, Infinity
This record sounds like Sunny Day Real Estate meet Katatonia. Very emotional music far from any genre.

At The Drive-In – The Relationship Of Command
Well... great.

La Quiete – La fine non e la fine
Another fine “screamo”-record, this time from Italy. They are the most melodic band from that genre, at times getting very bombastic and hymnal, all mixed with warm, maybe “Italian”, melancholy.

Lattekohlertor – Lattekohlertor
The solo-project of Turbostaat-guitarist Marten is a masterpiece of emotional music. Home-recording to the max.

The Notwist – Neon Golden
Well, I love this record for obvious reasons. Everyone loves it.

The Pogues – If I Should Fall From Grace With God
Oh, yeah. Shane MacGowan is the man. I love his voice, I love his songs, and I love the way he´s conserved in whiskey.

Wipers – Over The Edge
No comment. It´s a MUST to know this, no ecuse!

ASturge

« Reply #138 on: 30 May 2005, 04:11 »

Since you listed the Offspring in your top 5 along with the words 'can't beat a little old school punk' I don't think you should be getting too militant there :)

That's fair enough, I honestly don't know very much about punk music at all.

I was very much a Pop Punker kiddie a few years back. (Had a hoodie and everything!!!!!!)

Shaft

• Obscure cultural reference
    • Bass Cleft
« Reply #139 on: 30 May 2005, 05:05 »

No order, and no explainations because I'm sure no one will read it anyway.

Future Sound of London - Lifeforms
Oceansize - Effloresce
Pest - Necessary Measures
µ-Ziq - Lunatic Harness
Venetian Snares - Rossz Csillag Alatt Született
Way Out West - Way Out West
Squarepusher - Feed Me Weird Things
Squarepusher - Ultravisitor
Quantic - Apricot Morning
Plaid - Rest Proof Clockwork
Hybrid - Wide Angle
OOO - Upon Cycles
Boards of Canada - Twoism
Boards of Canada - Music Has the Right to Children
Boards of Canada - Geogaddi... And Hi Scores, and In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country... Do EPs count? Probably not.
Autechre - Chiastic Slide
Biosphere - Substrata
Autechre - Amber
Amon Tobin - Permutation
4Hero - Creating Patterns
DJ Tiesto - Just Be
Chicane - Far from the Maddening Crowd
Linkin Park - Meteora (Shoot me)
Chris Clark - Clarence Park
Quote from: tommydski
i realise that i am slightly buzzed on coffee in the toliets of a boeing 737 rubbing a wet rock on myself. if you've ever had a similar moment of clarity i think you may be able to relate to the feeling.

MilkmanDan

« Reply #140 on: 30 May 2005, 06:48 »

That's a kick ass list!
Except for DJ Tiesto and Linkin Park. They are less impressive. Also, Chicane. I'm pretty sure I don't like them either.
But the rest are awesome. I'm now going to go and acquire copies of:
Hybrid - Wide Angle
OOO - Upon Cycles
Biosphere - Substrata
Oceansize - Effloresce

because I can only assume they also rock, given the albums they are hanging out with.

Robbo

« Reply #141 on: 30 May 2005, 06:59 »

I like the Oceansize album (scary isn't it?)..I need to go listen to it again.

Man that's a really unkvlt post for my 666 post. *Blasts 30 seconds of Mayhem to make up for it*

Mikendher

« Reply #142 on: 30 May 2005, 08:13 »

here is mine, though i'm sure no one will agree :-)
i got bored after 12, so here it is

1. Elliott Smith - Either/Or
2. Iron & Wine - The Creek Drank The Cradle
3. The Arcade Fire - Funeral
4. Guster - Live from Portland, Maine
5. Elliott Smith - Elliott Smith
6. Elliott Smith - From A Basement On The Hill
7. Iron & Wine - Our Endless Numbered Days
8. Elliott Smith - Figure 8
9. Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism
10. Iron & Wine - The Sea & The Rhythm
11. The Decemberists - Castaways and Cutouts
12. Simon & Garfunkel - Bookends

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #143 on: 30 May 2005, 09:32 »

Quote from: banev
La Quiete – La fine non e la fine
Another fine “screamo”-record, this time from Italy. They are the most melodic band from that genre, at times getting very bombastic and hymnal, all mixed with warm, maybe “Italian”, melancholy.

La Quiete are fucking awesome. Hopefully, I'll be making my way to Summerslam to see them again.

Jeridus

« Reply #144 on: 30 May 2005, 10:06 »

I got really... REALLY lazy, so there's only 10 albums on here... also, I only included FAIRLY new albums (like, within the past 10 years, say) cause otherwise there'd be too much Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Rush... etc.

10. The Brat Attack -- From this Beauty Comes Chaos and Mayhem
So hard, so political, and kick-ass live... bonus points for having a super-good chick lead-singer.

9. The Mars Volta -- Frances the Mute
Best Volta there is... although Inertiatic on Deloused was awesome too.

8. Alexisonfire -- Alexisonfire
Way more of George in this one than in Watch Out... and that's a good thing, cause I don't like Dallas as much as George.

7. Flashligh Brown -- My Degeneration
I don't know... it's just fun and FUNNY to listen to... the lyrics are awesome

6. Coheed and Cambria -- The Second Stage Turbine Blade
Claudio's crazy high-pitch vocals - especially given that he looks as though such sounds shouldn't be able to come out of him - is what makes this album... I like Rush, so

5. The Fiery Furnaces -- EP
This is the first Fiery Furnaces I bought, and it's just so crazy that I couldn't NOT put it so high on the list. Makes me want to dance

4. Modest Mouse -- The Moon and Antarctica
I liked this one better than Good News, not sure why... it's just better to listen to all at once

3. Iron And Wine -- Woman King EP
Just... just so awesome

2. Death From Above 1979 -- You're a Woman, I'm a Machine
So much energy, and such an awesome sound, made all the more awesome by the fact that this band consists of only two guys... plus they're Canadian

1. Arcade Fire -- Funeral
Awesome Canadian Indie, in bothe french and english, with a big variety of instruments... I love this album religiously, and am in danger of wearing it out.

Merkava

« Reply #145 on: 31 May 2005, 13:25 »

This is going to be a mind-bender....

1. Emergency & I (The Dismemberment Plan) - Besides the fact that I'm a Plan fan, this is a fantastic and influential album. The Plan took everything laying around and mixed it into their sound, creating a firecracker of an album, spanning rock's history as well as making their own. As Pitchfork said in their review "This has everything in your CD collection, but sounds nothing like it."

2. The Bends (Radiohead) - I had to choose between the revolutionizing of arena/explosive rock, the revolutionizing of psychadelic space-rock, and the revolutionizing of electronica, and by a hair, I chose the first option. Every song is perfect. There's nothing wrong with this album.

3. Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain (Pavement) - A messy masterpiece. This is the perfect mixture of Pavement's playful nature and their ability to write good songs.

4. The Moon & Antarctica (Modest Mouse) - Holy bejesus! This is a briliant piece of music right here. It encompasses everything Modest Mouse had ever done up until that point, makes it dark and atmospheric, and still manages to make an EXPERIENCE of an album.

5. Source Tags & Codes (And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead) - Trail of Dead has made one of Indie Rock's true masterpieces with this work. This is in the classic way, where everything is based on pure energy and mood, letting loose a mixture of hardcore and beauty.

6. Keep it Like a Secret (Built to Spill) - The songs are tight, yet have that dense Built to Spill sound. The songs are perfectly-crafted, and Built to Spill get to do the most effective thing you can do with a dense, powerful sound; strip it down. The best moment of the album is, hands-down, the drum and tight riff section of "Temporarily Blind."

7. We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes (Death Cab for Cutie) - I can listen to this album repeatedly for days. It flows beautifully, and not a note is out of place. The mood IS actually enough to carry the album, but after a listen or two, you'll notice the well-written lyrics and great songcraft.

8. Turn on the Bright Lights (Interpol) - It's dark, it's gloomy, and it's beautiful. It's like Joy Division with texture, Ocean Rain-era Echo and the Bunnymen on Prozac. When you listen to the album, it's amazing how well the name "Interpol" works for the band.

9. Things Fall Apart (The Roots) - Yeah, that's right. I listen to rap. So what? The Roots got jazz, the got intelligence, and they play their own instruments. Pure intelligence and soul rule this album. Besides, there's a Radiohead reference in there somewhere. XP

10. No Cities Left (The Dears) - Wow. This album is beautiful. It's like Dark Side of the Moon with different subject matter and more powerful guitars in some places. It's an adventure.

Those are my first ten, in no particular order.

EDIT:

OMG MORES LOL

11. Mind is Not Brain (Mock Orange) - It's not everyday you see an emo band for people who hate emo, and it's not everyday you see them morph into a mutant Modest Mouse/Pavement/Built to Spill monster, either. They really transformed, and it sounds natural. Every song has multiple twists and the lead singer sticks to a high, moderately nasal tone quality. It's just great. The riff in the song "This Nation" is like this generation's Black Dog (at least in the catchy/boogy-down style of it).

12. Make Up the Breakdown (Hot Hot Heat) - BOOGIE DOWN, BABEH! Hot Hot Heat's debut manages to be danceable without being too poppy or happy (Ugh to Elevator). The songs never stay on one idea for too long, and always lead to something even better than the last.

blindsuperhero

« Reply #146 on: 31 May 2005, 14:23 »

Psychadelic space-rock?!

In fact, come to think of it, Anthem rock?!?

kikanjuuneko

« Reply #147 on: 31 May 2005, 14:31 »

Quote from: Robbo
At The Gates - Slaughter Of The Soul
Say what you will, has always caught me as being damn good, just brings so much great stuff and atmosphere really.

It took that many posts for someone to mention 'Slaughter of the Soul'? Come on, kids, we all know how good and important that album was.

Here's mine, in no particular order and subject to change at a whim:

American Nightmare/Give Up the Ghost - Background Music
The perfect specimen when it comes to modern hardcore that still plays on older influences. Balls-to-the-wall without obsessing about br00tality, emotional without being emo. Closer 'Farewell' touches me like few other songs.

Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus
After they broke up, everyone seemed to forget about CoFlow, and few indie hipsters who today lay claim to artists like Aesop Rock, Atmosphere and the Anticon collective even know this album exists. Well, kids, were it not for Company Flow, your beloved Aesops and Atmospheres wouldn't even be around. Which leads us to...

El-P - Fantastic Damage
...The epitome of fucked up, noisy crypto-rap. El-P is so divorced from traditional hip-hop mindsets that he barely even feels forced to rhyme, landing somewhere in between agressive spoken word and crazy word-twistery. Add to this the near-apocalyptic blaring behind him, and it's like all fucking hell broke loose.

Mos Def - Black On Both Sides
Mos has always been one of the most intelligent rappers out there. Always. Too bad his last album doesn't live up to the expectations. But when I need cerebral hip-hop, 'Black On Both Sides' is always a given.

Slayer - Reign In Blood
Do I even need to comment on this? This album is goddamn legendary, and for good reason.

At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul
Yeah, they inspired every other band that's hot in the American underground right now. Yet this album is still better than 90% of what actually comes out there.

Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
Well, duh. RIP Dimebag and all the other obligatory things that go there. Either way, Pantera really came into their own with this one. This album is the biggest reason why they're just so legendary.

Sepultura - Roots
My friend and I always get into heated debate about whether 'Roots' or 'Chaos AD' is better. I root for 'Roots' (ha ha), simply because it is more of a memorable record for me.

Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast
Okay, I'm three in a row on obvious albums. But come on, "six! Six six! The nuuuuumber of the beeeeast!" No one can keep themselves from singing along to that. Except my friend, but I think he's a zombie.

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing...
This is one of the few electronically made albums that I can still make myself listen to every now and then, and certainly the one that has lasted me the longest. In fact, so to the point where I sometimes feel inspired to have a stab at doing something like this myself. Few other albums have had that impact on me just by themselves.

Shai Hulud - That Within Blood Ill-Tempered
The album that proved that hardcore doesn't have to be in the hands of the Dillinger Escape Plan to be more complex than simple power chords strung together. Intelligently written, emotionally visceral, insanely complex, yet straightforward and easy to understand.

Converge - When Forever Comes Crashing
Some say that Converge's 'Jane Doe' is a better album. However, I've always liked Converge when they were short and to the point rather than the times they try to rip off Neurosis. 'When Forever Comes Crashing' is the epitome of that part of Converge; spawning live classics like 'Conduit' and 'Love As Arson'.

The Dillinger Escape Plan - Calculating Infinity
I'm not saying I don't like the strange, almost pop experimentation of 'Miss Machine', but 'Calculating Infinity' will always be the record that defined the Dillinger Escape Plan's modus operandi: messed-up jazz-meets-almost-grind blasts of holy-fuck-how-do-they-do-that.

Integrity - Seasons In the Size of Days
If it weren't for Integrity, most of today's metalcore bands (and I mean of all kinds) would have one band less to thank for their sound. Dwid may not have always been the most agreeable person to grace the world of hardcore, but it is hard to deny that Integrity was always something more, as undefinable as that may be. I mean, what other -core band that doesn't do the joke title thing would name songs things like 'Candra Nama Vijayasya Stri Pums' Calayasti'?

Botch - We Are the Romans
Botch were the goddamn originators. If it wasn't for Botch and their brand of weird, semi-progressive hardcore, a whole bunch of bands just wouldn't exist at all.

Sick of It All - Blood, Sweat and No Tears
Practically the definition of NY-styled hardcore, and a band that has meant lots not just for hardcore, but punk at all, that have reached greatness beyond the small crowds that gather in basements and bars for a half-hour dose of mosh everytime a band passes through time. It's clobberin' time!

Uh, okay, it's 11:30 PM, and I'm too tired to think of more. Watch this space.

Robbo

« Reply #148 on: 31 May 2005, 14:47 »

Eh, when you have people that think sodding Black Dahlia Murder are a good MDM band or even a fair representation of the genre, you know there's a problem.

Merkava

« Reply #149 on: 31 May 2005, 14:58 »

Quote from: blindsuperhero
Psychadelic space-rock?!

In fact, come to think of it, Anthem rock?!?

The former was the only term I could think of, but it does seem to fit the album at least somewhat. One person said "Hm, they sound like Pink Floyd" and I was like "FUCK YOU MAN!" and I blasted some Sonic Youth at his face.

Good times. XP

Anthem rock is big, explosive rock with heavy guitars.

Anthem rock =/= U2 or 80's metal bands

It's just another way of saying "BIG".
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up