THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 05:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: My Top 25 Albums Of All Time  (Read 37094 times)

I Am Not Amused

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.myspace.com/bittercamparimusic
My Top 25 Albums Of All Time
« Reply #50 on: 17 Apr 2005, 22:45 »

I guess I percieve "it takes an insane person to buy a copy" as somewhat kind maybe remotely negative.

Anyway, Khar, that's cool if you don't like geek rock. I still suggest giving Blue Album-era Weezer a try just for shits and giggles. Even if you don't like it, at least you can comment from experience, no?
Zac Efron wants a sourcebox lulz.

Druid

« Reply #51 on: 17 Apr 2005, 23:25 »

1: the Pixies - Surfer Rosa
2: HUM - Downward is Heavenward
3: the Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dreams
4: Helmet - Meantime
5: Sonic Youth - A Thousand Leaves
6: My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
7: Nirvana -  In Utero
8: Fugazi - End Hits
9: PJ Harvey - Rid of Me
10: Reflector - Where Has All the Melody Gone?
11: Aphex Twin - Richard D. James Album
12: Jawbreaker - Dear You
13: The Crystal Method - Vegas
14: Postishead - Portishead
15: the Amps - Pacer
16: Barkmarket - L Ron
17: Juno - This Is The Way It Goes & Goes & Goes...
18: Built to Spill - The Normal Years
19: Stereolab - ABC Music: Radio 1 Sessions
20: The Cardigans - First Band on the Moon
21: Sunny Day Real Estate - LP2
22: Mogwai - Mogwai [EP + 6]
23: PJ Harvey - Stories of the City; Stories of the Sea
24: Financial Panther - Heart Sparks Arson
25: F-Minus - F-Minus

yggdrasil

« Reply #52 on: 18 Apr 2005, 00:51 »

I like Tool. :( Why do people think they're wank?

Psiogen

« Reply #53 on: 18 Apr 2005, 01:08 »

Quote from: Kai
EDIT: I personally prefer KC's first album rather than their rest, which seemed to be sorta repetitive to me.

Eh? Which others have you heard? I've never ever heard that criticism of the band before. I love their debut, but Larks and Red are both miles better.

japaneasy

« Reply #54 on: 18 Apr 2005, 03:24 »

Ok, in no particular order, my top 25 based on what's in my iPod at the moment:

Air - Premiers Symptomes
Air - Moon Safari
Dmitri From Paris - Sacrebleu
Grateful Dead - Dead Set
Notorious B.I.G. - Ready To Die
Portishead - Dummy
The Postal Service - Give Up
Soulive - Next
St. Germain - Tourist
Weezer - Weezer
Green Day - Dookie
LCD Soundsystem - LCD Soundsystem
Miles Davis - In A Silent Way
Nightmares On Wax - Smoker's Delight
Wu Tang Clan - 36 Chambers
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
G. Love and Special Sauce - G. Love and Special Sauce
Erykah Badu - Baduizm
DJ Cam - Mad Blunted Jazz
Crosby, Stills & Nash - Crosby, Stills & Nash

Ok, 20.  This is hard.

ASturge

« Reply #55 on: 18 Apr 2005, 05:20 »

i couldnt give you a top 25, but here's a top 5.

5.Colin Meloy, Live at Schubas- Colin Meloy (its bootleg but i love it)
4.The 3 EP's - The Beta Band
3.Ignition - The Offspring (can't beat a little old school punk)
2.In the Aeroplane over the Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel
1.Castaways and Cutouts - The Decemberists

MilkmanDan

« Reply #56 on: 18 Apr 2005, 07:30 »

Quote from: japaneasy
Portishead - Dummy
Miles Davis - In A Silent Way
Nightmares On Wax - Smoker's Delight
Wu Tang Clan - 36 Chambers
DJ Cam - Mad Blunted Jazz

Yes.
The other ones, no.
I'll get round to doing my own one of these soon, but until then, I'll just sit around critising other peoples.

Hector Gilbert

« Reply #57 on: 18 Apr 2005, 14:59 »

My current top 25:

1      Tangerine Dream    Zeit (1972)

1972 was the year that many people would remember for  Exile On Main Street and  Ziggy Stardust alone.  Those looking slightly outside the range of Anglo-American rock music might also recall how strange Neu!'s self-titled debut must have sounded to the uninitiated masses.  However,  this album shocked and horrified as many people as it impressed because unlike  Neu! this album lacked any similarity to rock music whatsoever.  It lacked any discernible structure, familiar tune, rhythm, or percussion of any form.  This is a precursor to ambient music.

The long-winded guitar solos of  Electronic Meditation are by now long gone (perhaps for the better), and the mellotron of  Atem is also not yet present.  The only way the development up until this could possibly be discerned would be by noting the drone of the organ that goes through much of  Alpha Centauri and starts to dominate towards the end.  In this sense  Zeit very much picks up from where  Alpha Centauri left off, but this time delving into much less familiar territory.

Surely this album still has its share of nods to classical composers, but by this stage in their careers Tangerine Dream were buried in a niche that people did not yet know much about.  It has not dated much, either - put on "Birth of Liquid Plejades" and your reaction might be similar to that of hundreds of critics worldwide who had to get around to actually reviewing this thing.  No, these songs do not have the same noise all the way through - in fact while "Birth of Liquid Plejades" starts off with a string quartet building up a scale it blends in cleverly and almost seamlessly with the sound of a moog.

Many of the songs stop suddenly, much like waking up from a dream - at times the organ or strings seem like they could go on forever.  This is how the album works: as its name suggests,  Zeit is about time, and here time stands still.  Most effective of all in achieving this aim is the title track, implementing a very much cold and bleak-sounding drone which proves hypnotic as fifteen minutes pass like seconds.  However, the other tracks clearly demonstrate other ideas which the band had at the time - "Origin of Supernatural Probabilities" in particular does not evoke utter stillness, but rather the silent observation of something else: the sound of a clear, almost rhythmic series of thuds against the wall of sound that Tangerine Dream's drones create.

Unlike  Alpha Centauri this album is not a journey through space, but rather the sound of aimless drifting between planets in complete desolation.  Unlike popular music of the time and of our time, it is not a pleasant and "safe" escape from reality but rather it deliberately confronts and agitates the listener.  The fact that it has infuriated so many people is almost indicative of its success - after all, not everyone would want to listen to an album like this - but unlike the "high-concept joke" that was  Metal Machine Music this took skill and a lot of collaborations and puts forth a good few ideas (albeit at a snail's pace).  All this time, one thing is clear: space, the stars and planets, and Tangerine Dream's  Zeit are all an awful lot bigger than you are.

2      The Avalanches    Since I Left You (2000)

After several years in the making and the use of over 900 samples,  Since I Left You was unleashed at the turn of the century upon a largely unsuspecting public.  Even though the album itself hasn't had quite the cult success (outside of The Avalanches' native Australia) as DJ Shadow's  Endtroducing... or even The Go! Team's  Thunder Lightning Strike, the album's first couple of singles "Since I Left You" and "Frontier Psychiatrist" came to public notice as elaborate party anthems to light up the dance floor with cleverly-conceived and well-crafted music videos.

In my mind at least, one thing in particular is certain: if this album was all about party music and well-conceived music videos (as many people have apparently perceived it to be), I wouldn't be holding it in such high regard.  On the contrary,  Since I Left You is so much more than a singles album: it is a cleverly-devised portrayal of perfect summers which have long since passed, consisting of eighteen elaborately-arranged tracks devoted entirely to the use of samples.  Starting with the extended rave of the first few tracks, moving steadily onwards to the naive reflections of "A Different Feeling", then cruising through a sea of comic relief to the summer's saddening and inevitable close.

The album's first few tracks are to some dance-oriented, but to me are somewhat different in that they encapsulate the "feel" of a dance, so as to keep with the "past summers" theme of the album.  By using such obscure samples as the whinnying of a horse and even a sample from Madonna's "Holiday", the basic dance beat is given an unprecedented level of elaboration and sonic colour.

This album is not only danceable in places, it's atmospheric and has a sense of humour which is maintained with the artful use of samples throughout.  "Frontier Psychiatrist" is the most obvious instance of samples being used adventurously in that it is a successful attempt at a hit single with a discernible song structure with the delicate craft of sampling, however also notable are the little interludes, such as the "Pablo's Cruise" and "Little Journey" which allow the album to have shape and form rather than just be a stiff collection of tracks.  Whether it is in the solace of "Tonight May Have To Last Me All My Life" or in the reckless last dance of "Live At Dominoes", one may find that each track on  Since I Left You has its own place and context.

Some will say that this is not music with a tune, this is just a bunch of samples.  This does not do justice for the wonderful ear for melody that is demonstrated here and the harmonies that are made from such samples - hear it and find out for yourself.  Speaking from my own personal experience, having had this since I began to develop a serious interest in music in 2001 the album has not stagnated in any way.  In fact, due to the elaborate use of samples rather than instruments there are several background noises which may remain unnoticed even after years of playing, making each listen a comparatively fresh experience.

3      Einstürzende Neubauten    Zeichnungen Des Patienten O.T. (1983)

In the early 80s Einstürzende Neubauten had come across a great resource of tools and fresh ideas in their quest for alternative forms of percussion - the results of which gave their early work a timelessness which bands using actual drumkits in the 80s generally did not obtain.  However, in their first couple of albums there was also a sense of purpose - sure they could get the noise they wanted with a cement mixer or a pneumatic drill, but they also realised just how violent and destructive it was and wrote their songs around that theme accordingly.  The result is an incredibly confrontational and involving album that transcends rhythm and tonality for the sake of intensity and inventiveness.  Blixa's vocals are seething with vitriol, building up to the immense climax of "Armenia" and the chilling epilogue that follows.

4      Pan Sonic    Kesto (234.48:4) (2004)

As its very name may suggest,  Kesto (234.48:4) is absurdly long and is spread out over four CDs.  And this is four CDs of noisy music of all kinds with many sources of inspiration (mentioned on the back of the cover of CD 4) including Suicide and Throbbing Gristle.  When listened to in one go it is apparent that as time passes by the tracks gradually become formless and drone-like, in contrast to the electro-bounciness of the pulsating static rhythms of CD 1.  What has come out of this project is sometimes relaxing, more often scary and brooding, but always hard to fault.  If a seething drone sound from CD 3 annoys you, that's probably because it's meant to.  What is of value to Pan Sonic is making synthetic noise at the kind of frequencies that would confront the listener and get a physical reaction.  Listen with an open mind.

5      Current 93    Thunder Perfect Mind (1992)

Simple yet elegant and contrived but with purpose, this is an album that at first was something of a guilty pleasure when I had pretensions for preferring more elaborate music - most of the tracks are simple yet effective apocalyptic folk pieces, with David Tibet's unique crazed vocal style at its most powerful.  From a lyrical standpoint David Tibet surely sets the bar for interpretation and representation of ideas and feelings, and also for seeing out an admirably cohesive album - unfolding beautifully over a length of time approaching the maximum capacity of a single compact disc.  The sheer amount of collaborations that went on in the making of this album put David Tibet in a better position than he ever had been in before or since for writing music, and they pay off in spades with a wide variety of sounds covered to make this album the masterpiece that it is.

6      Darkthrone    Transilvanian Hunger (1994)

The subtle, minimal touch is one that has been largely rejected or ignored in metal music, with the exception of pure black metal classics such as this one.  Complaining about the murky production/mixing involved would be missing the point entirely - this is grim music, as raw in sound as it is in attitude.  Haunting, hypnotic riffs dominate proceedings, relentlessly repeated throughout each song with twisted yet unrivalled textural qualities - this is the definitive "shoegaze" album of metal music, but for my money largely beating shoegaze bands at their own game.  The result is a singularly admirable defining moment of Darkthrone's career and of pure black metal in general.

7      The Velvet Underground    The Velvet Underground & Nico (1967)

OK so it's really obvious, but there is a lot more cohesion and even variety to this than any Beatles album I've heard.  John Cale's noisy viola playing (among other instruments) gave Lou Reed's songwriting an edge that I feel I lacked after having to make music without him, and Nico's sultry yet oddly frightening vocals set the scene whenever they are called into play.  Classic confrontational pieces such as "Heroin" and "European Son" still sound fresh and visceral to the modern listener today, and even then Lou Reed could evoke a powerful atmosphere with his edgy lyrics alone.

8      Joy Division    Unknown Pleasures (1979)

The heartless and very recognisable post-punk beat, the atmospheric effects, and the desolate vocals and lyrics of Ian Curtis gave this the reputation of being a very dark and gloomy album.  This much is true enough, but it also rocks - the angular yet catchy riffs and the supreme song-writing winning me over with every listen.  The lyrics are also obscure and yet captivating, suiting the unfamiliar-sounding effects and lo-fi sound well.  With such a dark atmosphere and yet such well-written catchy tracks, I believe that the appropriate word to use here is "cool".

9      Yes    Tales From Topographic Oceans (1974)

This epic progressive rock album is very messed-up and bizarre, and made all the better for it.  What some will tell you is self-indulgent instrumental wank just appears to me to be a very concentrated effort to maintain a changing atmosphere over more than eighty minutes.  Consistently alternating between themes as in the "struggle between good and evil" of side four, the band also play in a disharmonious yet energetic and captivating fashion - reminding me somewhat of Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica in its attempt to dodge familiarity and expectation.  The themes of this album are explored by the shifting moods of the music, but also by the sombre vocals and surreal faith-driven lyrics of Anderson which are by far my favourites from the band.

10      Can    Tago Mago (1971)

In my view this is undoubtedly Can's masterpiece, a wonderful accomplishment of five musicians brimming with ideas.  It has often been said that the simple yet addictive funky beats of Jaki Liebezeit make the first side the pleasure trip that it is, and while this is indeed so saying such things does little justice to the very clever studio manipulations and effects that are taking place.  The notorious experimentation of the second side of the album makes for a truly unique listening experience that make this even more the classic krautrock album that it is - being both supremely inventive and very atmospheric.

11      Leonard Cohen    Songs Of Leonard Cohen (1967)

A cohesive and powerful collection of early Leonard Cohen material.  The lyrics are eloquent and gripping enough to keep me captivated throughout, while the acoustic arrangements are top-notch with the band deserving much more credit than they actually get - this is song-writing fleshed out, as well as written, with great flair.  Unlike the generally gloomy Songs Of Love And Hate, this debut album is quite well-balanced between moods - although ending powerfully with the "la la laaaarrggh"s of the final track which really took me by surprise.

12      Current 93    Of Ruine Or Some Blazing Starre (1994)

Once  Thunder Perfect Mind had been released, it was clear that finally David Tibet had discovered a niche that had a potentially widespread appeal.  Largely ignoring but not completely disregarding the obsessive nursery rhyme style and repetition that had marked releases such as  Earth Covers Earth, it was clear that David Tibet was becoming a lot more confident and fluent as a songwriter in this folk style.  Michael Cashmore's guitar playing had added a previously untouched depth and clarity to the proceedings, and Steven Stapleton's noisy contribution had gained a true sense of purpose to make for a truly fresh new sound.  The following album  Of Ruine Or Some Blazing Starre is in many ways a continuation of the progression that had been made obvious with  Thunder Perfect Mind, as the central focus turns to a trio of Tibet, Cashmore and Stapleton who perform their songs in an even tighter fashion than before.  This is notable for being ultimately one of the most optimistic Current 93 albums, a fresh outlook in contrast to the doom and gloom usually associated with the music of the industrial and post-industrial scene in general.

13      Carcass    Reek of Putrefaction (1988)

I love Carcass, but Heartwork struck me as being quite a dull album (never mind Swansong).  Why resort to actual riffs when one could be making strangely catchy wails of down-tuned guitar noise as found in "Genital Grinder"?  The guitarist, bassist, drummer, and even the voices all sound utterly inhuman - not in technical ability, but in the perverse and gross way they sound.  Everything that might have creeped you out about lo-fi underground 80s extreme metal is here in spades - unlike the comedy that is much of modern gore-grind, this album is incredibly dark and atmospheric.  The songwriting is as always cleverly conceived, and the use of low bassy sounds from all areas is unique and effective - particularly that of the strangely funky bass drum, which sets the tempo of each musical regurgitation.  Based on what I have heard this is grind at its most effective - if this music makes you sick, then mission accomplished.

14      Tindersticks    Tindersticks (1993)

I must admit that I don't often get the urge to sit down and listen to seventy-seven minutes of chamber music, but when I do I really can't fault this album.  The melancholy atmosphere of this album sets the scene with fresh compositions and beautiful arrangements to boot.  Attention-drawing and slurred vocals deliver the powerful lyrics to make for my favourite album to play when I'm feeling rather empty.  If you have any level of tolerance for moody symphonic pieces, then this one is an absolute must-have - even if you wind up not playing it much, the band are still mature and level-headed enough to ensure that this one is a real keeper.

15      Slayer    Reign In Blood (1986)

The album that got me and many other people into metal music is a glorious testament to pure, timeless thrash metal.  Araya's monotonous and threatening speed-vocals follow a rhythm section which by today's standards is rather simplistic but still does the trick - but what is most notable here is the guitars, which provide heavy and scary riffs and solos that scream along at a breakneck pace without regard to harmony.  Controversial themes such as Christianity and the Holocaust at first scared me a bit when listening but at the end of the day this is just music, a portrayal of vicious atrocities and one's own fears and a rather fitting one at that.

16      Black Flag    Damaged (1981)

What first comes to mind when I think of Black Flag's Damaged is Henry Rollins and his harsh spitting vocals, and they really do define the tone of this great hardcore album.  The first side may have all the catchier individual gems ("Rise Above", "Six Pack", "TV Party"), but it is the second side which defines this album - all overwhelmingly bleak journeys through violently depressed minds delivered quite fittingly by the vein-bursting vocal delivery of Mr. Rollins himself.  Brilliant guitar noise creates a bizarre texture and atmosphere that add to the overall effect of a very much intense yet heartless record without the romantic slant of more political "punk rock".

17      Captain Beefheart    Trout Mask Replica (1969)

As far as I'm concerned, if you haven't heard this album you haven't lived.  This album more often than not defies harmony, instead focusing on the unfamiliar sounds made by each individual instrument within the notably elaborate framework set by the fantastic drumming.  Vocals are off-tune and neglect the idea of following any particular key, instead representing the mainly incoherent ramblings of a madman.  These twenty-eight tracks are at once humorous and strangely profound while maintaining this perverse yet surely difficult to perform (it allegedly took nine months for them to rehearse this) approach to music.  Unlistenable?  It just sounds cool to me.

18      Tears For Fears    The Hurting (1983)

The investigation of controversial ideas in modern psychology lead up to a very intense and emotional synth-pop album that like so many debut albums is vastly superior to whatever came later.  The inventive and somewhat industrial sound crafted for the sake of the very bleak song-writing is not nearly as dated as that of many of the contemporaries of Tears For Fears or even of their own later albums.  Sure it has "Mad World" on it (a version that for me betters the by now more famous cover), but it also features such pleasant ditties as "Watch Me Bleed" and "Suffer The Children".  Watch out for the vocals - somewhat buried within the mix, they can often be mistaken for a heartless synth or wailing horn.

19      Neu!    Neu! (1972)

On a personal level, this is one of the albums that proved to be most important in shaping my musical tastes.  Unlike Kraftwerk's famous motorik beat that was suited for travelling down a highway or taking the "Trans-Europe Express", this particular static beat may lead the listener into a much darker realm as evoked by the album's avant-garde second track.  Creepy build-ups and steady beats are key to the very cold first side, but the second side is a maddening journey through mysterious samples and unfamiliar-sounding effects - finally ending with a bizarrely delivered, totally off-key vocal track.  There is a movement that appeared recently called "post-rock" which to the most of my knowledge has not advanced further than this album did in 1972 - if you like Mogwai, Tortoise or Silver Mt. Zion, check this one out.

20      Depeche Mode    Violator (1990)

Violator, as a name, eloquently summarises the at once sexy and threatening attitude evoked by the vocals and lyrics of this very album - the nine songs work as portrayals of a dangerous yet wonderful lover, with an eerily twisted charm.  The "perfect" production and well-crafted song-writing compliments the ideas on display in a more than adequate fashion.  For a clever yet mechanical synth-pop group this in 1990 finally transcends the dated sounds of the 80s, and hence freeing it of any trace of cheesiness that it may otherwise have had.  If you have developed a bad taste for Depeche Mode, give this one a few spins and see if it changes your mind...

21      Bob Dylan    The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan (1963)

This album reeks of the attractive odour of attitude - what do you expect, it's Bob Dylan at his best.  Clear vocals and clever lyrics are the standard with a consistent level of songwriting held throughout the album.  Sure it is acoustic Dylan, but there are more ideas here than in many of the classic releases that were to follow - just look at the number of short songs for evidence of this!  Arrangements are pretty sparse even though the simple guitar playing can at times be memorable - this is a clever album of social commentary, lyrics first and music second!

22      Slint    Spiderland (1991)

The atmospheric yet sloppy nature of this album may not appeal to some (vocals don't get more affected than this) but for those who want a very depressed noise-rock experience this is one of the best albums that money can buy.  Guitar lines are noisy (duh) and very unpredictable, and the tempo of the band changes enough to induce motion sickness on this lonely voyage out to sea.  Legend has it that a few of the band members were in therapy during the recording of this album.  It hurt them as much as it will hurt you.

23      Cave In    Until Your Heart Stops (1998)

As far as I can tell, there has been a recent trend covering a lot of North American heavy music that favours multifaceted chaos over consistent throbbing blastbeats.  This is for me one of the most impressive conceptions of this movement with original and progressive music, and lyrics that are in actual fact reasonably mature and perceptive in contrast to many of Cave In's contemporaries.  The album owes a lot to brilliant production values as well as impressive musicianship and songwriting ability on behalf of the band: the drums, which as always are elaborate and define the sound, are very present and the loud and heavy bass helps to make this a very intense as well as inventive metal album.

24      Coil    Horse Rotorvator (1986)

Coil's mysterious masterpiece was conceived along the lines of  death, fear and negativity.  Surely these themes were popular with many in the English industrial/post-industrial scene of the 80s, but I have not yet heard an interpretation of these themes as intense as this one.  A wide variety of styles are explored here by the means of tape loops and experimentation, and nineteen years after its conception the music still sounds fresh.  From the undeniably cool interludes to the creepy symphonic pieces to the catchy electronic songs that for some bands would be big singles, this is an album of many sides and much importance.  Essential for any fans of NIN in particular despite its out of print status.

25      Bathory    The Return... (1985)

A sorely overlooked album that has not dated at all in contrast to Bathory's own self-titled debut album or the music of Venom - unlike either of them, there are no present and somewhat cheesy vocals to contrast with the wall of noise guitar style that defined black metal.  In the place of these rather camp yet threatening vocals are harsh and bitter growls, setting an atmosphere that can make this album very hard going but equally worthwhile.  The music is heavy and frequently changes tempo from a slow, plodding trip through dense sludge to a pace that almost rivalled that of the second-generation black metal that would take about five years to completely materialise.  R.I.P. Quorthon.

Robbo

« Reply #58 on: 18 Apr 2005, 15:06 »

Nice mixed up list there.

Did you know Tangerine Dream (well an member of them anyway) are the infleunce for Neptune Towers, Fenriz's (Darkthrone's drummer) Ambient Noise solo project. I'm just shocked he'd like someone like or and make a project so un like Black Metal, but it's interesting.

Couldn't ever call Cave In metal (but if that doesn't matter to you, ignore that), but anyway, certain is something powerful, the way Hardcore plays can give it that no stop driving force you can't always do it Metal, it's something refreshing at times.

Hector Gilbert

« Reply #59 on: 18 Apr 2005, 15:14 »

Quote from: Robbo
Nice mixed up list there.

Did you know Tangerine Dream (well an member of them anyway) are the infleunce for Neptune Towers, Fenriz's (Darkthrone's drummer) Ambient Noise solo project. I'm just shocked he'd like someone like or and make a project so un like Black Metal, but it's interesting.

Couldn't ever call Cave In metal (but if that doesn't matter to you, ignore that), but anyway, certain is something powerful, the way Hardcore plays can give it that no stop driving force you can't always do it Metal, it's something refreshing at times.

I must get a Neptune Towers album post haste then, I'm still pretty new to Darkthrone and Fenriz (only heard Darkthrone and bits of Isengard so far).  I'm really only a fan of Tangerine Dream's most inventive early material (Zeit, Alpha Centauri, and their major label debut Phaedra) but whatever I like I absolutely love.

As for whether Cave In were metal or hardcore or "metalcore", I suppose that the jury is still out.  When I compare them to The Dillinger Escape Plan or even Converge I can definitely hear more elements of thrash metal.  Then again thrash metal had some hardcore roots as well, didn't it?  It's a bit of a shame how they ended up, although I'm still interested to hear what they're up to now that they are going to change labels (I think?).

Robbo

« Reply #60 on: 18 Apr 2005, 15:22 »

There are two Neptune Tower's ablums...other with the same sort of space theme. If you want to sample, I think there's short clips on the label's page (Candlelight IIRC) but can be found on P2P if you want to list first.

I reviewed Transilvanian Hunger, made me feel so fucking tripped out at the end of it, it was great.

To me, Cave In certainly where Hardcore, though you'r right, they did use a lot of Thrash like riffs, certainl on the first album, they're very like Regin In Blood. Defatinly NOT Metalcore though, because they dont suck.

A term some Hardcore fans use is Metallic Hardcore. Eg, Hardcore with a Metal edge, but not a Core/Metal blend that is Metalcore. If that makes sense. Or if you care, if not, sorry.

But yes, Punk Rock/Hardcore Punk was what crossed with Heavy Metal to make Thrash. Bringing the faster, more aggresive style, but keeping the more complex parts of Metal playing.

Yeah, the mellow out wasn't a good thing, but I know a few of their old school fans that have seen them live in recent year. All the NME fans had the shit scared out of them when two dozen hardcore kicks tour the venue apart when they played all their old stuff.

blindsuperhero

« Reply #61 on: 18 Apr 2005, 15:48 »

Okay, I'll give this a go, but it really is impossible. The top 2 I know, but there are loads of other albums I could have included, and the rest aren't in any kind of order

Radiohead - Kid A
Radiohead - OK Computer
Idlewild - 100 broken windows
Eels - Electro-shock Blues
The Blood Brothers - Burn, Piano Island, Burn
Thursday - Full Collapse
The Smiths - Strangeways, Here We Come
They Might Be Giants - Flood
R.E.M. - New Adventures In Hi-Fi
Sunny Day Real Estate - Diary
Radiohead - Amnesiac
Manic Street Preachers - This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours
The Clash - The Clash
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Leonard Cohen - Songs of Love and Hate
Joni Mitchell - Hejira
Air - The Virgin Suicides
Mad Caddies - Duck and Cover
Muse - Showbiz
Capdown - Pound For The Sound
Fugees - The Score
No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom
The Wedding Present - Take Fountain
Bad Religion - No Control
Blur - Leisure

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #62 on: 18 Apr 2005, 16:38 »

Your mention of Captain Beefheart brings tears of joy to my eyes.

And to whoever was asking about King Crimson, I have their debut, Islands, and I swiped from a friend of mine both the single Happy with What You Have to Be Happy With and The Power to Believe and thought they were lackluster. Islands is really good though.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Hector Gilbert

« Reply #63 on: 18 Apr 2005, 16:46 »

Quote from: Kai
And to whoever was asking about King Crimson, I have their debut, Islands, and I swiped from a friend of mine both the single Happy with What You Have to Be Happy With and The Power to Believe and thought they were lackluster. Islands is really good though.

The new material isn't too great IMO, but from essentially a completely different band other than Fripp.  They shouldn't even be King Crimson by name anymore, not since Red/USA.

Larks Tongues In Aspic is a safe bet for your next purchase, mainly instrumental but rather edgy and cool and also marking the start of their most famous and respected era (Larks/Starless/Red).

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #64 on: 18 Apr 2005, 18:03 »

Quote from: KharBevNor, in reference to WEEZER,
Ah, I actually was. I don't loathe them. Not sure I've even ever heard them actually.

Gotta say though, they look like geek rock, and as a rule I don't like geek rock.

1) You've never heard Weezer. That's, uh... how old are you again?

2) Well, they're geek rock, but their older stuff (Blue Album, Pinkerton) is geek rock before geek rock was stupid.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #65 on: 18 Apr 2005, 19:39 »

Quote from: Johnny C

1) You've never heard Weezer. That's, uh... how old are you again?

More importantly to this matter, Is that I'm British, and that I have never made listening to popular music much of a mission of mine. It's a possibility I've been unknowingly exposed, what were their big hits?
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #66 on: 18 Apr 2005, 20:07 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
It's a possibility I've been unknowingly exposed

You see, that's why you have to go to your doctor and get tested for "indie" at least once a year.

japaneasy

« Reply #67 on: 19 Apr 2005, 03:19 »

MilkmanDan

Och how can you dig le DJ Cam but not Dmitri From Paris?  Or St. Germain?  St. Germain...  Mmmm...  Jazz + House = sweet aural goodness.

yggdrasil

« Reply #68 on: 19 Apr 2005, 04:54 »

Quote from: KharBevNor

More importantly to this matter, Is that I'm British, and that I have never made listening to popular music much of a mission of mine. It's a possibility I've been unknowingly exposed, what were their big hits?

The biggest was probably Buddy Holly, off the aforementioned album. The one with the video that looks like Happy Days (or something).

They had a recent hit called Gone Fishing, which had muppets (real ones, not idiots) in the video.

I don't know if that helps at all... (I don't watch any TV involving music videos myself these days).

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #69 on: 19 Apr 2005, 05:39 »

And speaking of Buddy Holly (the man, not the song): another honourable mention for my list.  Fists raised for the thinking person's Elvis Presley!

madame psychosis

« Reply #70 on: 20 Apr 2005, 08:39 »

pink floyd - wish you were here

tom waits - alice

pink floyd - dark side of the moon

beatles - sgt peppers lonely hearts club band

the arcade fire - funeral

jeff buckley - grace

modest mouse - good news for people who like bad news

ani difranco - dilate

godspeed you! black emperor - lift your skinny fists like antennas to heaven

a silver mount zion - he has left us alone but shafts of light sometimes grace the corners of our rooms

radiohead - kid a

radiohead - hail to the thief

david bowie - changes one bowie

satie - piano works

aphex twin - drukqs

the music - the music

augie march - sunset studies

the flaming lips - soft bulletin

ani difranco - educated guess

lamb - what sound

nick warren - reykjavik

queens of the stone age - songs for the deaf

catpower - you are free

mum - yesterday was dramatic today is ok

bjork - post

phew!

mattkills

« Reply #71 on: 20 Apr 2005, 14:50 »

i'll try this.  in no order:

his hero is gone - monuments to thieves
born against - battle hymns for the race war
miles davis - kind of blue
ornette coleman - free jazz
ornette coleman - the shape of jazz to come
jerry's kids - is this my world?
six organs of admittance - for octavio paz
sonic youth - daydream nation
crass - best before 1984
mogwai - come on die young
songs: ohia - ghost tropic
gauze - 4th lp
bjork - vespertine
bjork - post
infest - slave
john fahey - god, time, and causality
low - things we lost in the fire
kepler - fuck. fight. fail.
swans - children of god
opto - second
boards of canada - geodadi
pelt - pearls from the river
public enemy - fear of a black planet
red house painters - songs for a blue guitar
tom waits - bone machine

that's just my current list.  it'll probably change tomorrow.
no top 25 can truly encapsulate anything.  i'd have to do a top 25 from each genre i listen to a lot of...   sucks.

blindsuperhero

« Reply #72 on: 20 Apr 2005, 14:53 »

Bonus points for having Born Against next to Kind of Blue

Snapman

« Reply #73 on: 22 Apr 2005, 04:43 »

Seems like an interesting place to make my 1st post...

1.  Neutral Milk Hotel  -  In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
2.  Radiohead  -  OK Computer
3.  Joy Division  -  Closer
4.  Sigur Ros  -  Agaetis Byrjun
5.  British Sea Power  -  The Decline Of
6.  The Fiery Furnaces  -  Blueberry Boat
7.  Slint  -  Spiderland
8.  Can  -  Tago Mago
9.  Blur  -  13
10.  Joy Division  -  Unknown Pleasures

11.  Mogwai  -  Come On Die Young
12.  David Bowie  -  The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars
13.  Super Furry Animals  -  Guerrilla
14.  New Order  -  Power Corruption & Lies
15.  Pulp  -  We Love Life
16.  Velvet Underground & Nico  -  Velvet Underground & Nico
17.  Brian Wilson  -  SMiLE
18.  Pink Floyd  -  Animals
19.  Mogwai  -  Rock Action
20.  Neutral Milk Hotel  -  On Avery Island
21.  Interpol  -  Turn On The Bright Lights
22.  Do Make Say Think  -  Winter Hymn, Country Hymn, Secret Hymn
23.  Primal Scream  -  XTRMNTR
24.  Radiohead  -  Amnesiac
25.  Grandaddy  -  The Sophtware Slump

loyalpeon

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #74 on: 23 Apr 2005, 12:31 »

Ok - let me try my hand at this - namedropping is fun :)

Honorable Mentions:

Gomez - Split The Difference
Tori Amos - Scarlet's Walk
R.E.M. - Up
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
Johnny Cash - Man Comes Around
Franz Ferdinand - S/T
Counting Crows - August and Everything After
The Stone Roses - S/T
Black Keys – Thickfreakness
Velvet Underground & Nico – S/T

25. Skunk Anansie – Post Orgasmic Chill
24. Joy Division - Closer
23. Mogwai - Young Team
22. Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
21. Tool - AEnima
20. Cure - Desintigration
19. David Gray - A Century Ends
18. Broken Social Scene - You Forgot it in the People
17. Arcade Fire - Funeral
16. Cure - Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me
15. Godspeed You Black Emperor - Lift your skinny fists like antennas to heaven
14. Aphex Twin - Richard D. James Album
15. The Decemberists - Picaresque
12. Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
11. Pearl Jam - Live at Benaroya Hall
10. Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile
9. R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
8. Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes
7. Gomez - Bring It On
6. David Gray - White Ladder
5. Four Tet – Rounds
4. Smashing Pumpkins - Melon Collie and the infinite sadness
3. Mogwai - Rock Action
2. Leonard Cohen - Songs of Leonard Cohen
1. Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dreams
So I gave the cookies you made to Fawn and the kids, and they couldn't believe it. They were delicious. But I digress... Tremble, puny Earthlings! One day my race will destroy you all!

ASturge

« Reply #75 on: 24 Apr 2005, 05:41 »

Quote from: Snapman
Seems like an interesting place to make my 1st post...

1.  Neutral Milk Hotel  -  In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
2.  Radiohead  -  OK Computer
3.  Joy Division  -  Closer
4.  Sigur Ros  -  Agaetis Byrjun
5.  British Sea Power  -  The Decline Of
6.  The Fiery Furnaces  -  Blueberry Boat
7.  Slint  -  Spiderland
8.  Can  -  Tago Mago
9.  Blur  -  13
10.  Joy Division  -  Unknown Pleasures

11.  Mogwai  -  Come On Die Young
12.  David Bowie  -  The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars
13.  Super Furry Animals  -  Guerrilla
14.  New Order  -  Power Corruption & Lies
15.  Pulp  -  We Love Life
16.  Velvet Underground & Nico  -  Velvet Underground & Nico
17.  Brian Wilson  -  SMiLE
18.  Pink Floyd  -  Animals
19.  Mogwai  -  Rock Action
20.  Neutral Milk Hotel  -  On Avery Island
21.  Interpol  -  Turn On The Bright Lights
22.  Do Make Say Think  -  Winter Hymn, Country Hymn, Secret Hymn
23.  Primal Scream  -  XTRMNTR
24.  Radiohead  -  Amnesiac
25.  Grandaddy  -  The Sophtware Slump

Neutral Milk Hotel- fucking yes

Kirkles

« Reply #76 on: 25 Apr 2005, 13:02 »

i have no top 25 yet, not even a top 5 but my favourite album so far is Neutral Milk Hotel- In The Aeroplane Over The Sea (thank you sturge, thank you thank you thank you)

jdn

This list is not in order.. I'm sure it will change..
« Reply #77 on: 25 Apr 2005, 16:56 »

Weezer - Pinkerton
    Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antartica
    Her Space Holiday - The Young Machines
    Bright Eyes - Lifted or The Story is in the Soil, Keep Your Ear to the Ground
    Bad Religion - Generator
    Greg Graffin - American Lesion
    Ugly Casanova - Sharpen Your Teeth
    Beatles, The - Revolver
    Arcade Fire, The - Funeral
    Postal Service, The - Give Up
    Eels, The - Daisies of the Galaxy
    Archers of Loaf - Icky Mettle
    Garbage - Version 2.0
    Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine
    Iron and Wine - Our Endless Numbered Days
    Radiohead - Pablo Honey
    Flaming Lips, The - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
    Jimmy Eat World - Clarity
    Eve 6 - Horrorscope
    Abandoned Pools - Humanistic
    Shins, The - Oh Inverted World
    Mars Volta, The - De-Loused in the Comatorium
    Cursive - The Ugly Organ
    Sonic Youth - Nurse
    Simon and Garfunkel - Bookends[/list:u]
    [list=][/list:u][/list]

blindsuperhero

« Reply #78 on: 26 Apr 2005, 01:14 »

Eels, The? I think they're just called "Eels". Novelty points for "Pablo Honey" being the sole Radiohead album on your list.

jdn

« Reply #79 on: 26 Apr 2005, 08:49 »

I thought it was the Eels, I suppose I'm wrong.

blindsuperhero

« Reply #80 on: 26 Apr 2005, 09:50 »

jdn

« Reply #81 on: 26 Apr 2005, 09:52 »

You make a good point :) I wish I could edit my original post. I feel silly now.

blindsuperhero

« Reply #82 on: 26 Apr 2005, 09:53 »

You can! By the power of the internet!

(Press the "Edit" button at the top right hand corner of the post)

Tartar Martyr

« Reply #83 on: 26 Apr 2005, 10:25 »

Quote from: Druid
    1: the Pixies - Surfer Rosa

I am stunned that this is the only mention of surfer rosa, and only the second or third inclusion of a pixies album (I think I saw a couple of Doolittles on the first page).  Not stunned in the sense that people have different taste than I, but stunned at all the lists that include bands with heavy Pixies influence without propping the Boston rockers who were way ahead of their time.

Tinjessla

« Reply #84 on: 26 Apr 2005, 10:57 »

In random, 'off the top of my head' order:

1. Radiohead - OK Computer
    2. The Smashing Pumpkins - MCIS
    3. Suede - Coming Out
    4. NIN - The Downward Spiral
    5. The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin
    6. Pixies - Bossanova
    7. Radiohead - The Bends
    8. Bjork - Debut
    9. Super Furry Animals - Rings Around The World
    10. DJ Shadow - Endtroducing
    11. Pixies - Surfer Rosa and Come on Pilgrim (it counts as one! :P)
    12. Muse - Origin Of Symmetry
    13. Supergrass - Supergrass
    14. Aphex Twin - Richard D. James
    15. The Dears - No Cities Left
    16. Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible
    17. Badly Drawn Boy - Have You Fed The Fish?
    18. Outkast - Stankonia
    19. Eels - Beautiful Freak
    20. Jeff Buckley - Grace
    21. Hot Hot Heat - Make Up The Breakdown
    22. PJ Harvey - Stories From The City, Stories From the Sea
    23. The New Pornographers - Electric Version
    24. Badly Drawn Boy - Hour Of The Bewilderbeast
    25. Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Love Bad News

Praeserpium Machinarum

« Reply #85 on: 26 Apr 2005, 11:49 »

Suede - Coming Out

isn't it called Coming up? Anyway I couldn't possibly make a list like that, it would be completely random and differ from time to time. Maybe when I get geld enough to actually buy cds ;)

exliontamer

« Reply #86 on: 29 Apr 2005, 22:23 »

25. Circle Takes The Square - As The Roots Undo
    24. Moss Icon -  Lyburnum
    23. Elvis Costello - This Year's Model
    22. Talking Heads - Remain In Light
    21. The Pietasters - Oolooloo
    20. Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
    19. The Magnetic Fields - Get Lost
    18. Rancid - Life Won't Wait
    17. X (Japan) - Jealousy
    16. Against Me! - Reinventing Axl Rose
    15. Apoptygma Berzerk - Harmonizer
    14. Link 80 - The Struggle Continues...
    13. Daft Punk - Discovery
    12. Ted Leo/Pharmacists - Tyranny of Distance
    11. The Lawrence Arms - Ghost Stories
    10. Fairweather - Lusitania
     9. Majority Rule - Interviews with David Frost
     8. The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main Street
     7. Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
     6. Chisel - Set You Free
     5. Billy Bragg - Back To Basics (I know its a compilation...so sue me)
     4. pg99 - Document #8
     3. The Pillows - Little Busters
     2. The Pogues - Red Roses For Me
     1. The Clash - Sandinista!

Benn London

« Reply #87 on: 29 Apr 2005, 23:44 »

Jets to Brazil - Orange Rhyming Dictionary
    Cursive - The Ugly Organ
    AC Newman - The Slow Wonder
    The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
    Iron and Wine - Our Endless Numbered Days
    Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American
    Bright Eyes - Fevers and Mirrors
    The Faint - Wet From Birth
    The Arcade Fire - Funeral
    Ratatat - Ratatat
    Rilo Kiley - More adventurous
    Broken Social Scene - You forgot it in people
    American Analog Set - Know by Heart
    Radiohead - Hail to the Thief
    Elliot Smith - From a Basement on the Hill
    Modest Mouse - Good News for People Who Love Bad News
    Action Action - Don't Cut Your Fabric to This Year's Fashion
    Faraquet- The View From This Tower
    In Flames - Whoracle
    Judas Priest - Ram it Down
    Converge - Jane Doe
    The Dillinger Escape Plan - Miss Machine
    The Stockholme Syndrome - Self Titled
    Thrice - The Artist in the Ambulance

I think that's 25......
    I kind of drift from my usually indie/emo/pop references to go to harder stuff towards the end. I love it all.

SuperSUGA

• Emoticontraindication
    • Blew out the Candles!
    « Reply #88 on: 30 Apr 2005, 04:34 »

Righto, let's see if I can manage this without losing what little credibility I have... Afraid I only have time to think of 10, in no particular order, and they'll be accompanied by five word explanations and a highlight.

Weezer - Pinkerton
    Raw, sensitive, complex, what happened??
    Highlight: "Falling for You" Solo - scratchy and noisey but beautiful.

The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico
    Sorry, obvious, awesome, groundbreaking, heroin?
    Highlight: "Venus in Furs" 1:33 as the Viola comes to the front of the chorus briefly before the whole thing drifts back into it's droning march.

The Beatles - Revolver
    Best Beatles Album, band maturing.
    Highlight: "Tommorow Never Knows" The whole thing, I still can't imagine how this would have sounded back in 1966, you could have told me this was recorded last week and I'd believe you.

Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine
    Angry, Bewildering Guitar, Incredible Debut.
    Highlight: "You've got a Bullet in your F*cking Heeaaaad!!!"

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
    Fuzz, Saws, Annoyingly Good Lyrics.
    Highlight: "King of Carrot Flowers Parts 2 & 3" 1:17 - We're introduced to the brass section, taken spiralling up and then by 1:36 we're thrown face first back into the mud wondering what's going on.

Jeff Wayne - War of the Worlds (aah, THERE goes my credibility)
    My Childhood, Martians, OOOOLAAA!
    Highlight: "The Chances of Anything Coming from Mars..." You can't really pick a highlight out of this.

Smashing Pumpkins - Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
    Overbearing, Pretentious, Ambitious, Fantastic! Long!
    Highlight: "Zero" 1:15 - Whammy! good stuff!

The Rentals - Seven More Minutes
    Diverse, Thick, Layered, Insightful, Harmonies.
    Highlight: "Overlee" second chorus. Just such a rich, layered texture to the sound. Synths, guitars, male and female vocals all harmonising. Beautiful stuff.

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
    It's been said... dark etc.
    Highlight: Showing the album to people who've only heard "love will tear us apart" and think they like Joy Division

The Olivia Tremor Control - Black Foliage Animation Music Vol. 1
    Should hate this. Schizophrenic, interesting!
    Highlight: "I Have been Floated" and every other time you start to grow tired of the bleeps and noise and out of nowhere some catchy pop jumps out at you.

blindsuperhero

« Reply #89 on: 30 Apr 2005, 05:57 »

Quote from: exliontamer
    14. Link 80 - The Struggle Continues...

Awesome!

Forgiven, especially as Spy vs. Spy is only 7 tracks long. Also, awesome!

exliontamer

« Reply #90 on: 30 Apr 2005, 07:35 »

Yeah, Link 80 is fucking great and it was awesome that they were able to bounce back from Nick's suicide with an album like The Struggle Continues. That album just oozes hardcore/ska goodness...shit like Unbroken, Peril After Peril, and Right Hook. Throw in a Madness cover for good measure, and the re-recording of Nowhere Fast and Nothing New (from Ryan's band Blast Bandits) and you've got a fucking solid release in my opinion. I wish they would come back from "hiatus" and finish the album they were working on. Also I wish they'd do one last tour for old time's sake.

And what can I say about Billy? He and Ted Leo are my heroes/role models/etc.

Johnny C

• Mentat
    • i wanna be yr slide dog
      • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
    « Reply #91 on: 01 May 2005, 13:42 »

Quote from: SuperSUGA
    Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
    It's been said... dark etc.
    Highlight: Showing the album to people who've only heard "love will tear us apart" and think they like Joy Division.

I've only got Substance - is Unkown Pleasures the first one, or was that Closer?

Either way, yeah, they were a lot different in the beginning. "Warsaw" is a far cry from "Love Will Tear Us Apart."

3 5 0 2 1 5 GO
    [02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
    [02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Tinjessla

« Reply #92 on: 01 May 2005, 13:51 »

Quote from: Praeserpium Machinarum

isn't it called Coming up?

Gaa! Yaar, it is. Hmm..that's a very strange typo for me..

Inlander

• coprophage
    « Reply #93 on: 01 May 2005, 16:12 »

Quote from: blindsuperhero

Forgiven, especially as Spy vs. Spy is only 7 tracks long. Also, awesome!

Agreed, agreed . . . And agreed!  I can't believe I left Spy vs. Spy off my list.  Am I allowed to make another "top" 25?

sketchyjoe

• Balloon animal serial killer
    « Reply #94 on: 04 May 2005, 07:15 »

Here's my Top 25 at the moment. I'll finish the reasons later.

25 - Billy Bragg - Back to Basics
    I know it's a collection but it's brilliant.
    24 - The Toy Dolls - Absurd Ditties
    The Toy Dolls had been putting out music for a decade when they recorded their best album with Absurd Ditties. It was filled with brilliantly catchy songs featuring cheesy yet hilarious lyrics, Olga's distinctive vocals and mammoth solos as Toy Dolls songs always were but on Ditties there were differences with the acoustic intro to My Wife's A Psychopath, the redneck jaunt in Drooling Banjos and the hard rocking, pseudo-classical Toccata in Dm sitting comfortably alongside more traditional TOy Dolls songs like the dual-solo Sod The Neighbours or Alec's Gone. Absurd Ditties showed that The Toy Dolls were, and are, one of the most under-rated punk bands around.
    23 - The Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
    22 - Steel Pulse - Handsworth Revolution
    21 - Chris Murray - The 4 Track Adventures Of Venice Shoreline Chris
    20 - Defiance Ohio - Share What Ya' Got
    19 - The Rudiments - Circle Our Empire
    18 - The Undertones - The Undertones
    The Undertones self-titled debut album is 100% pure pop-punk. Ignoring
    the sectarian troubles that surrounded them they instead focused on a
    subject that was very close to their hearts: girls. A vast majority of
    the 23 songs on this album (none of which exceed 3 minutes) deal with
    the bands teenage loves and lusts which are perfectly articulated by
    Feargal Sharkey's distinctive lead vocals which fit perfectly over the
    simple pop-punk music and airy background vocals, The Undertones
    created a classic album featuring many classic songs such as Here
    Comes The Summer, Jimmy Jimmy and the eternal Teenage Kicks. This
    album proved that teenage dreams really are hard to beat.
    17 - Devo - Q: Are We Not Men? A: We are DEVO!
    16 - Stiff Little Fingers - Inflammable Material
    "Inflammable Material planted in my head, It's a suspect device that's left 2000 dead". So starts Stiff Little Fingers classic debut album. The 'Irish Clash' summed up what it was like to be young in Northern Ireland during the troubles. With killer riffs, great basslines and socially conscious lyrics that attacked the IRA and the army (Wasted Life), record labels (Rough Trade) and displayed a witty bitter humor (Barbed Wire Love). The first independent album to breach the UK Top 20 this album is a both an important landmark in music history, a great record and gave a whole generation new hope for an Alternative Ulster.
    15 - Mojo Nixon - Whereabouts Unknown
    14 - The Dead Milkmen - Beezlebubba
    13 - World/Inferno Friendship Society - East Coast Supersound Punk Of Today
    12 - Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back
    11 - Bad Brains - Bad Brains
    10 - Chuck Berry - The Great Twenty Eight
    9 - Curtis Mayfield - Superfly
    8 - Cock Sparrer - Shock Troops
    7 - Propagandhi - Today's Empires, Tommorrow's Ashes
    6 - Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
    This album always sounds like the soundtrack to a Raymond Chandler novel to me. Waits' underworld stories and nonsensical lyrics combined with brilliant music that sounds like a carnival gone mad make this a great album.
    5 - The Clash - London Calling
    The Clash's greatest album. This album combines more genres than I care to mention and blends them all together into one great album.
    4 - Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks
    The ultimate break-up record of all time. Dylan has a lot of great songs and albums but this is his best in my opinion. Every song on this album is brilliant.
    3 - Johnny Cash - American IV (The Man Comes around)
    Johnny Cash's last proper album. This is possibly the saddest album in existence. You can hear Cash's life story in his voice in every song. From great covers like Hurt and I Hung My Head to original songs like the title track. This album is one of the few that can make me cry repeatedly. It finishes with an incredibly meaningful version of We'll Meet Again.
    2 - Bill Hicks - Arizona Bay
    Bill Hicks is the funniest and most insightful man who ever existed and this is his crowning glory. Filled to he brim with amazingly funny routines like Officer Nigger Hater and Pussy-Whipped Satan backed-up by music that fits in perfectly. Bill ruthlessly skewers any and all people that deserve it.This album makes me think what could have been if Bill had lived any longer.
    1 - Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables
    When Jello Biafra answered East Bay Ray's advert in a local music paper few could have predicted the outcome would be the greatest punk album of all time. Fresh Fruit is a half-hour minute rollercoaster ride through the harsh underbelly of the american dream. From the bouncy Let's Lynch The Landlord, to the barely controlled chaos of Chemical Warfare, from the classic Faux-fascist anthem California Uber Alles to the haunting screech of the timeless Holiday In Cambodia, this album delivers. The songs are often gloriously offensive such as I Kill Children and Kill The Poor but all contain the bitter sarcastic edge of Jello's lyrics which are perfectly complimented by Ray and Klaus' guitar work. This is an album that sounds like it was written for a forthcoming apocalypse or mental breakdown, the perfect mix between the minimalism of In God We Trust Inc and the expansiveness of Frankenchrist where all the songs can provoke, educate and make you want to rock out like a crazy fool. My favourite album of all time, the best punk album of all time and definitely not one for the idiots.
    Limber limp with a dry martini

Until....

Akbar

« Reply #95 on: 05 May 2005, 03:09 »

This was harder than I thought, actually. Mostly since it's really hard not to include all albums of some of your favourite artists, etc.

I don't think I'll post all 25 at once, or in any particular order, but here are the ones I spontaneously came to think of when seeing this thread:

Therapy? - Troublegum

Monster - A Brief History Of

Marit Bergman - Dry Your Eye

At The Gates - Slaughter of the Soul

In Flames - Colony

Jens Lekman - When I Said I Wanted to Be Your Dog

Håkan Hellström - Det Är Så Jag Säger Det

Neil Young - Harvest

The Hellacopters - Payin' The Dues

MC5 - Back In the USA

Bad Brains - Soul Brains (A reuinion/live record; I havn't managed to get hold of any of their other albums)

Slayer - Decade of Aggression (One of the best live albums I've heard. At least the first cd)

SuperSUGA

• Emoticontraindication
    • Blew out the Candles!
    « Reply #96 on: 05 May 2005, 09:44 »

Quote from: Johnny C
    I've only got Substance - is Unkown Pleasures the first one, or was that Closer?

Either way, yeah, they were a lot different in the beginning. "Warsaw" is a far cry from "Love Will Tear Us Apart."

I think Unknown Pleasures was their first, yeah. Or at least I'm sure it was before Closer, which I'm quite sure was their last. I have a hard time picking between the two, but there are just a few more tracks I prefer on Unknown Pleasures.

Listening to Pleasures after only hearing Love Will Tear Us Apart was quite a scary experience, but thankfully I grew to love it.

betteroffdead

« Reply #97 on: 05 May 2005, 10:17 »

(no order)

1 the shins- chutes too narrow
    2 metric- old world underground, where are you now?
    3 new pornographers- mass romantic
    4 foo fighters- there is nothing left to lose
    5 nirvana- incesticide
    6 the pixies- doolittle
    7 breaker! breaker!- where all the birds yell
    8 ac newman- the slow wonder
    9 reel big fish- turn the radio off!
    10 the raincoats- the raincoats
    11 the reunion show- kill your television
    12 harvey danger- where have all the merrymakers gone?
    13 mates of state- team boo
    14 saves the day- stay what you are
    15 veruca salt- eight arms to hold you
    16 the agenda- start the panic
    17 catch 22- keasbey nights
    18 beck- odelay!
    19 incubus- make yourself
    20 modest mouse- the moon and antarctica
    21 broken social scene- you forgot it in people
    22 dead kennedys- plastic surgery disasters
    23 the life aquatic soundtrack
    24 get up kids- four minute mile
    25 mclusky- mclusky do dallas

that was hard.

exliontamer

« Reply #98 on: 06 May 2005, 22:48 »

20 - Defiance Ohio - Share What Ya' Got
    19 - The Rudiments - Circle Our Empire

Those two just missed being on my list. I think Defiance, Ohio is the best punk band in America. Period.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    « Reply #99 on: 07 May 2005, 00:14 »

Ack, sketchyjoe, thanks for reminding me, how could I not have had a Dead Kennedys album on my list? Damnation, I tell you!
    but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.
    Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up