THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 12:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Half Life 2: Aftermath!  (Read 8054 times)

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
Half Life 2: Aftermath!
« on: 14 Apr 2005, 02:20 »

Oh. Fuck. Yes.

They're continuing where the game left off, man! Valve are adding a whole extra fucking chapter or seven to Half-Life 2!

things we'll probably be seeing -

The citadel exploding, City 17 burning and a desperate flight to the minimum safe distance.

Antlions in City 17, versus the metrocops.

More of Alyx, Barney and Dog. (Don't ask me how the fuck Alyx survived, I honestly don't know)

Cars (proper ones, not buggies)

Stalkers (you recall those skinny things with metal hands and feet? yeah.)

Cremators (the Combine's cleanup team - they spit acid to wash away debris and biomatter from the streets. That thing in the jar at Black Mesa East is a cremator's head)

Probably a few new weapons

awesomeness.

THIS is the reason for Steam, y'all. You won't be buying this in the shops.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

wraithzero

• Larger than most fish
Re: Half Life 2: Aftermath!
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2005, 03:44 »

Quote from: Switchblade
More of Alyx, Barney and Dog. (Don't ask me how the fuck Alyx survived, I honestly don't know)

They don't say she survives, you just see more of her.
I say you find yourself teleported to the base of the citadel, just in time to see a body come falling down from the top at it blows up. :)
Actions speak louder than words, especially if you have a giant moon laser.

Quote from: Tearon
There's something really freakish about you, ya know that? In a good way.

Simon

• Plantmonster
« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2005, 08:29 »

Bwhahaha, the look on all those Alyx-lovers faces would be priceless. :D

ElRodente

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • unf unf unf
    • doodleblog
« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2005, 13:17 »

sorry alyx haters :( there're screenshots of her
or something

http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1365
Oh no, he was fine... and now he's poorly from too much electric

bucky_2300

• Furry furrier
« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2005, 13:33 »

I want it to be free! ^.^

I really need a better comp than the one I have now though...:(
Click Here!

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2005, 14:31 »

Okay, who the fuck are these people on the EA forums?

seriously, how the hell does this guy get away with saying the game lost most of it's coolness after the magnetic crane?

holy shit, I need both hands (in binary) to count the number of cool moments that hapened to me after that, and more!

philistine...

cliffkik

« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2005, 03:12 »

Yeah that guy needs a good whipping.  

Guys this will rox0rz so much!!! I can't wait!!

wraithzero

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #7 on: 15 Apr 2005, 04:27 »

Personally I'm stuck on the guy who complains that expansions are too much like the original game.

Dude, it's an expansion, as in 'more of'.  That's what expansions are, people want more of what they just played, so the developers give it to them.

If it was a different game entirely, they'd call it something else.
Actions speak louder than words, especially if you have a giant moon laser.

Quote from: Tearon
There's something really freakish about you, ya know that? In a good way.

Moriarty

« Reply #8 on: 15 Apr 2005, 13:40 »

Wish list for HL2 - Aftermath:
A couple of new weapons: The currently multiplayer only SLAM (tripmine/satchel charge hybrid), the Pulse rifle being restored back to its original E3 state (a funky flare launcher), and possibly the PhysGun mentioned in the article, to weld barricades and armour plating etc. Also that mounted gun the Combine use in the original game looks man portable for a HEV clad scientist.
More defense sections: I can see the Combine really letting loose on the Rebels now, so having a junkyard Helms Deep bunker defense against a swarm of Combine soldiers and APCs, swarms of ManHacks and the occasional Strider would rock.
The Hydra: That big sewer-bourne creepy thing you saw in one of the very early E3 videos (like a large neon-blue snake). Was supposed to be in the original, but I'm not complaining about it's removal too loudly :)
Gonomes: Since Valve treat the Opposing Force addon as HL canon, it makes sense that these would crop up. Basically headcrab zombies that reach the next stage in their mutation/evolution, these were very fast and immensely powerful zombies that pelted you with their innards like the Quake zombies.
The Gravity Gun: Needs to be toned down again for Aftermath, since it's a uberweapon by the end of the original game. Would be nice if Eli's lab had some more of these for NPC use, as having lots of people throwing rubble at the combine soldiers would be very cool (I can't see them having just one, and then keeping it well away from anything heavy/radioactive that needs moving :))

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #9 on: 15 Apr 2005, 18:21 »

Actually, I understand that the combine have their hands full with the fact that City 17's being invaded by all the antlions that were being kept out by this huge energy field, not to mention the slow collapse and destruction of the Citadel, so the odds are that we're not likely to see antying new - just new combinations. rebels versus antlions, for example.

as for the hydra - it was cut for a very good reason: it was no fun to play against. too powerful, plus Valve never got the AI to work satisfactorily. sure, it looked cool, but remember they're making entertainment - an enemy that's no fun to fight at all is a mistake. even the toughest of the tough should only be a pleasing challenge to beat, rather than the player being relieved to never have to face the damned things ever again.

I can't see the physgun making a return - it's utility is just a little bit too limited, whereas the GG was hugely versatile. the super GG, on the other hand, should probably not be kept.

Also remember: nobody has explicitly said that we still play as Gordon. Anybody who complted HL2 would know that it would actually make more sense for the player to drop into somebody else's boots (my money would be on those of Barney Calhoun)

nihilist

« Reply #10 on: 16 Apr 2005, 08:09 »

I'll play it, for sure.  I'm not exactly as excited, though.  Somehow the word "ripoff" comes to mind.  Somebody is just trying to dig extra cash out of our pockets, etc, etc.  Hopefully I'm proven wrong.  Also, if you dare attack me for not sucking Valve's nuts, I will bring down the hammer so hard your grandkids will be jelly.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #11 on: 16 Apr 2005, 09:30 »

I wouldn't say "ripoff" exactly - after all, given Valve' overall quality, we'd be getting our money's worth...

but yeah, they have done some slightly unlovable things.

Having said that, I've never had the kind of Steam trouble that a lot of people have recorded - I found that, while it stymied the installation process a bit, it's since been fairly helpful.

Staplegun

« Reply #12 on: 16 Apr 2005, 10:10 »

I'm pretty excited.

Moriarty

« Reply #13 on: 16 Apr 2005, 10:19 »

Also remember: nobody has explicitly said that we still play as Gordon. Anybody who complted HL2 would know that it would actually make more sense for the player to drop into somebody else's boots (my money would be on those of Barney Calhoun)

How about Adrian Shepard, for a more brute force approach that the now chaotic City 17 might need?? He's pretty much in limbo at the end of OpFor, and if Gordon has gone back to that old timewarp in the sky, it could be fun having Shepard interact with all these 'worshippers' of Freeman, the man he was trying to kill :)

nihilist

« Reply #14 on: 16 Apr 2005, 10:38 »

I wouldn't say "ripoff" exactly - after all, given Valve' overall quality, we'd be getting our money's worth...

I'm not sure if I'd give Valve any points for quality.  They've dicked the public around quite a bit, and Mr. Gabe comes off as a royal prick.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #15 on: 16 Apr 2005, 14:12 »

Quote from: Moriarty
How about Adrian Shepard, for a more brute force approach that the now chaotic City 17 might need?? He's pretty much in limbo at the end of OpFor, and if Gordon has gone back to that old timewarp in the sky, it could be fun having Shepard interact with all these 'worshippers' of Freeman, the man he was trying to kill :)

hmmm... hadn't thought of that. That WOULD rock. It'd also mean that Barney gets to retain a speaking role.

Nihilist: Meh. I guess we're just going to disagree on that one. I honestly believe that they've produced some really high-quality stuff, and are quite deserving of their reputation whereas you, clearly... don't.

not really much more to say, is there?

Plumbum

« Reply #16 on: 16 Apr 2005, 16:30 »

The amateur physician inside me awakes and screams in rage.

WHAT TEH FCUK!?!!!11 WASS a BLACK HOLE THAT exploded!=!?!!!1 THEY ALL DEDDED TO DETH ND ERTH + ½UNIVars EZ KEELD!!1!!

Only G-mans teleportation shit saved Gordon and it didn't look like he saved Alyx nor the rest of City 17.

Well, I will buy this part too, play it and not complain about Alyx nor the rest of City 17 being alive, they are both good looking and interesting.

Moriarty

« Reply #17 on: 17 Apr 2005, 09:23 »

Regarding the possible non-use of Gordon in the expansion, I believe the latest Steam update explicity states the Aftermath will continue Gordon's adventure in City 17 and gives a nice looking but not very revealing screenshot of a combine trooper standing in shadows with one of the cyborg 'slaves' in the background (the ones with metal stumps for limbs and a metallic faceplate)

c1utch

« Reply #18 on: 17 Apr 2005, 18:03 »

link?

Moriarty

« Reply #19 on: 18 Apr 2005, 13:49 »

It was on the last steam update, but the steampowered site only gives highlights rather than complete text :(
For what it's worth
Pages: [1]   Go Up