THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 16:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cradle of Filth live!!  (Read 6987 times)

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Cradle of Filth live!!
« on: 13 Apr 2005, 17:10 »

I jus got back:

Minus points:
-Slightly too quiet
-Keyboard and backing vocals too low in the mix
-Didn't fucking play Queen of Winter, Throned, Scorched Earth Erotica or Lord Abortion.

Plus points:
+It was Cradle of fuckin' Filth
+They had crowd sing-alongs to 'Her Ghost in the Fog' and 'Gilded Cunt'
+Dani got the whole crowd chanting 'Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Ftaghn!'
+They had a giant biomechanical demon puppet with glowing eyes that came out during 'Dusk and Her Embrace' and started ROCKING WITH THE BAND.
+They did play 'The Forest Whispers My Name', 'The Principle of Evil Made Flesh', 'Her Ghost in the Fog', 'Nymphetamine' and 'From the Cradle to Enslave'.
+Dancers. With coffin-shaped metal plates strapped to their chests. And angle grinders. Grinding showers of sparks off their own chests as they danced. omg.
+Cradle. of. Filth.

So, anyone else here partial to the 'Most evil, vile, depraved and downright smelly band in the world' (as they were announced over the PA)?
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

muffy

• Asleep in the boner patch
Cradle of Filth live!!
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2005, 17:33 »

Ok, that kind of causes my willy mason show to pale into insignificance.
Why do indie bands never make the effort when it comes to a stage show?

daneford

Cradle of Filth live!!
« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2005, 18:35 »

I'm..I'm so sorry.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Cradle of Filth live!!
« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2005, 06:59 »

Quote from: muffy
Ok, that kind of causes my willy mason show to pale into insignificance.
Why do indie bands never make the effort when it comes to a stage show?

Because they're simply taking themselves too seriously!

Did I mention the people dressed in gargoyle suits who sat like living statues for the whole first song then jumped up and came to life during 'Nemesis'?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

ASturge

Cradle of Filth live!!
« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2005, 07:01 »

^

no no, they prefer to rely on the quality of their music ;)

well, in most cases...

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Cradle of Filth live!!
« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2005, 07:10 »

Oh, but then why do hardly any of them have a song as downright rocking as 'The Principle of Evil Made Flesh'?

Also, NONE of them reference Cthulhu enough! Cthulhu referencing is the new standard by which I judge bands.

ASturge

Cradle of Filth live!!
« Reply #6 on: 14 Apr 2005, 07:16 »

true dat

yggdrasil

Cradle of Filth live!!
« Reply #7 on: 14 Apr 2005, 07:39 »

Sounds like a good show... I love CoF and would love a chance of seeing them play. My avatar on another forum is the horned portrait of Dani.

To be perfectly honest, I only tend to listen to one album of theirs, and that's Cruelty and the Beast... to me, that is pretty much the perfect record. It's like a meticulously crafted black metal opera that just works so well. It's probably my number one choice of albums whose beauty are in the total harmony, rather than in any particular songs.

Although they've got great individual songs as well, like From the Cradle to Enslave, The Forest whispers my Name, etc., none of them are as good as Cruelty in its entirety.

I don't think The Principle of Evil made Flesh is a particularly outstanding song though.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
Cradle of Filth live!!
« Reply #8 on: 14 Apr 2005, 08:41 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Oh, but then why do hardly any of them have a song as downright rocking as 'The Principle of Evil Made Flesh'?

Also, NONE of them reference Cthulhu enough! Cthulhu referencing is the new standard by which I judge bands.

Have you heard Teen Cthulhu then? Surely that's the ultimate in Cthulhu referencing.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Signum_Tenebrae

Cradle of Filth live!!
« Reply #9 on: 14 Apr 2005, 09:18 »

I saw Cradle of Filth back in December on the Headbanger's Ball tour.  It was sooo lame.

It was discouraging to see 13 and 14 year old kids there in "corpse paint" with their parents waiting outside worried sick.  

The show itself was horrible, Dani adopted some kind of half hardcore-yell half scream which was really annoying. . And he also requested that ladies throw their bras on stage.  Give me a break.  Also Sarah Jezebel's voice was OFF KEY the entire time.  It sounded horrible.

Cradle Of Filth is nothing more than a mockery of what they used to be back in the "Dusk.. And Her Embrace" days.

Quote from: KharBevNor

As for this comment, I liked Cthuhlu Dawn OK, but Mother Of Abominations is just silly.  Being a Lovecraft FANATIC myself (I have a Lovecraftian tattoo, and it's only the first one of entire sleeves when I get the money) it saddens me to see his work butchered by lyrics such as..

Mother of abomoinations
Our Lady Overkill
Smothering the congregationg
Grips the cosmic wheel
A lover of acceleration
No mercy nor breaks applied
I see dead stars collide
In Her cold unflinching powerslide

Comparing ancient slumbering Gods from beyond the stars to. . to. . cars?  And since when is Cthulhu a female?  It must be that I-want-to-fuck-everything syndrome Dani has.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
Cradle of Filth live!!
« Reply #10 on: 14 Apr 2005, 11:19 »

Quote from: Signum_Tenebrae
Mother Of Abominations is just silly.  Being a Lovecraft FANATIC myself (I have a Lovecraftian tattoo, and it's only the first one of entire sleeves when I get the money) it saddens me to see his work butchered by lyrics such as..

Mother of abomoinations
Our Lady Overkill
Grips the cosmic wheel
A lover of acceleration
I see dead stars collide

Comparing ancient slumbering Gods from beyond the stars to. . to. . cars?  And since when is Cthulhu a female?  It must be that I-want-to-fuck-everything syndrome Dani has.

Are you sure he's not talking about Shub-Niggurath, the 'Black goat of the woods with a thousand young'?
also israel

Signum_Tenebrae

Cradle of Filth live!!
« Reply #11 on: 14 Apr 2005, 17:07 »

Quote from: Trollstormur
Quote from: Signum_Tenebrae
Mother Of Abominations is just silly.  Being a Lovecraft FANATIC myself (I have a Lovecraftian tattoo, and it's only the first one of entire sleeves when I get the money) it saddens me to see his work butchered by lyrics such as..

Mother of abomoinations
Our Lady Overkill
Grips the cosmic wheel
A lover of acceleration
I see dead stars collide

Are you sure he's not talking about Shub-Niggurath, the 'Black goat of the woods with a thousand young'?

Pretty sure.  In the beginning of the song there is a chant. . "Iä, Iä, Cthulhu Fhtagn!"

Futher evidence is that there is a new COF shirt (I haven't seen the shirt, but a favorite artist of mine designed the artwork which I've seen) which is the Mother of Abominations shirt.  On the front is a big picture of Cthulhu rising out of the water.

Another passage from the song reads..

Instrumental in stripping gods
To neuter and lash Her slaves
Thereafter
Her laughter
Shalt sound aloft the crashing waves

Crashing waves?  A reference to Cthulhu sleeping beneath the sea in R'lyeh.

So, all in all, no I don't think it is Shub-Niggurath he is talking about.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Cradle of Filth live!!
« Reply #12 on: 14 Apr 2005, 17:20 »

Live presence wasn't as good as it could have been. The venue is crap anyway both atmospherically and acoustically so a bit of leeway there. No mallcore kids though: we never got them over here to anywhere near the American extent anyway, and they're dying out now as they trend-hop to emo. Besides, it was an over-16's show.

Dani has been making EVERYTHING female in his lyrics for ages anyway, so why not Cthulhu? CoF aren't exactly a reverent band. Their complete lack of really taking themselves seriously to any real extent is something often overlooked (by both detractors and the dumber or more humorless fans), but something I've always enjoyed about them.

What's wrong with those lyrics btw? The extended metaphor reminds me of Martin Walkyier's songwriting, and that can never, ever, ever be a bad thing.

Signum_Tenebrae

Cradle of Filth live!!
« Reply #13 on: 14 Apr 2005, 17:40 »

The lyrics just strike me as lame and half-assed compared to some of their older work.  Here's an example of some lyrics from the new album.

Click your heels
Three times six
The stars are fixed
May I climb and get you one?
The palace at Versailles never held your tongue
Nor did heaven ever weather
The crosses that you came upon

Dirty little soul frigger

Cunt (Cunt)
Gilded cunt
Oh, you gilded cunt
Cunt
Cunt

Versus some older material:

A lurid moon looms; phosphorent, evil
Yesod vested in despotic upheaval
Silvering wolves that scarlet forest snow
Forgotten ones ebter as above, so below

The trees groan aghast as ghostly pallored clouds are rent
When the drunken earth heaves, sweep aside seas to ascend
From Sheol's dank haunted wilderness
Thy seal upon Nuit's starry vault to incense the sleepers, dead

Or perhaps..

Spawned wanton like blight on an auspicious night
Her eyes betrayed spells of the moon's eerie light
A disquieting gaze forever ghosting far seas
Bled white and dead, Her true mother was fed
To the ravenous wolves that the elements led
From crag-jagged mountains that seemingly grew in unease

Through the maw of the woods, a black carriage was drawn
Flanked by barbed lightning that hissed of the storm
(Gilded in crests of Carpathian breed)
Bringing slaves to the sodomite for the new-born
On that eve when the Countess' own came deformed
A tragedy crept to the name Bathory

I just think his lyrics have been going downhill for a while.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Cradle of Filth live!!
« Reply #14 on: 14 Apr 2005, 18:43 »

Yes, the new album is somewhat poor/dumbed down (though flashes still remain, some of the lyrics to Nymphetamine are quite nice) I just thought that particular passage wasn't that bad, really. I think Dani may just of run out of long words to use and obscure horror films to reference.

But fuck yes, Gilded Cunt is a stupid song. Makes a good chant-along live, but it's a stupid song.

Pages: [1]   Go Up