THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 19:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: talk about a band you wish more people have heard of here.  (Read 44366 times)

mattkills

this is a thread to get people introduced to music they may not have heard of.  no "indie cred," no pretensions, just good fucking tunes.

my choice of the evening:  efterklang.

a dutch 10 piece of glitchy indie-chamber music.  sounds a lot like the bjork vespertine album meets someone like rachel's or godspeed.  very very very good.  i suggest downloading this cause buying the album will run you a bit ($32 with postage straight from leaf)  oh, the album is called tripper.  it's really really good.  every person i have played it for has loved it.  check it out.

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
  • Lurker of Lovecraftian proportion
    • Obligatory Social Networking Page
talk about a band you wish more people have heard of here.
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2005, 23:51 »

Will look it up soon as I get back from college...

My choice to add is Rob Dougan... a weird blend of classical and hip-hop style beats with some beautiful lyrics, albeit sung in a voice that sounds somewhat like Lou Reed with throat cancer. Either way, it comes off a lot better than it sounds, and more people need to look this guy up.

nothingwitty

« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2005, 00:57 »

THE AFGHAN WHIGS

do it now.

MilkmanDan

« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2005, 01:26 »

65 Days of Static, dammit.
YOU KNOW I'M RIGHT!
http://www.65daysofstatic.com

muffy

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2005, 02:09 »

Ooooh! I like 65DaysofStatic! They played down here very recently ( possibly last night) but I couldn't go, as I never have thursday nights free :(

Band I want people to talk about:

The Dawn Parade.

They're from Cambridge (well, Bury St Edmunds, to be exact), and John Peel used to love them, even if their fans tried to rig the Festive Fifty results in their favour. It very melodic, Smiths-y and brilliant in general. They played SXSW this year, too...
http://www.thedawnparade.com

Sturge

« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2005, 03:16 »

65daysofsstatic are ace, top noise action!

good band = Plans and Apologies, twee tastic from Derby, catchy tunes, odd lyrics and awesome instrumentals.

http://www.plansandapologies.com/

yggdrasil

Re: talk about a band you wish more people have heard of her
« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2005, 05:08 »

Quote from: mattkills

my choice of the evening:  efterklang.

Someone told me efterklang were Danish... maybe they were wrong. They sound nice, I'd like to hear them sometime.

A band that's definitely Danish is Mew, and they're the best live band I've ever seen, bar none. I guess they're a kind of jangly, dreamy noiserock, which isn't saying much, but the singer has a really cool high-pitched voice. Their albums have good songs and dull songs, ok but not fantastic, but if you ever have a chance to see them play, please do so. It's a fantastic experience that leaves me stunned and breathless every time.

Their best album IMHO is their first, A Triumph for Man.

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #7 on: 15 Apr 2005, 07:05 »

gabriel and dresden's remix of "in my memory" is one of my favourite songs ever. sorry if you don't like electronika, but you should listen anyway. this is just damn good music.

there's this brilliant band based down here in a-town called code atom. having looked online and not found any of their music posted anywhere (google or limewire), i say that you can email me for the tunes and/or i will post their title song (and maybe another one) when i can access my hard drive later today (if i don't forget, that is). either way, i think you will have to wait, so, yeah... (www.codeatom.com)
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

pip_helix

« Reply #8 on: 15 Apr 2005, 07:27 »

Quote from: nothingwitty
THE AFGHAN WHIGS

do it now.

love them!

more people should listen to the capsules and bunnies for broken hearts.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: 15 Apr 2005, 07:33 »

Umm.

Wuthering Heights.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

dontstaylong

« Reply #10 on: 15 Apr 2005, 11:34 »

The Features

granted, some of you people on here will hate it, but man i dig em.  very upbeat rock, tons of farfisa organ, and an amazing drummer.  the album "Exhibit A" just came out in the UK (it's been out in the US since sept), and they've got a single out now, "Blow It Out".

Go to the website and check out the video for "A Million Ways to Sing the Blues"....

Robbo

« Reply #11 on: 15 Apr 2005, 11:43 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Umm.

Wuthering Heights.

Novel sucks, band bloody rules.

HMS Odell

« Reply #12 on: 15 Apr 2005, 12:16 »

the fall of troy.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #13 on: 15 Apr 2005, 12:30 »

Quote from: Robbo
Quote from: KharBevNor
Umm.

Wuthering Heights.

Novel sucks, band bloody rules.

Sit there a sec, I'm gonna go have a sex change operation so I can bear your children.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Robbo

« Reply #14 on: 15 Apr 2005, 12:32 »

Lol, dunno if I'd take it that far man. But you're welcome to attack me on MSN if you love me that much.

Patatat

« Reply #15 on: 15 Apr 2005, 12:36 »

Fallout Boy

wait no I mean!!!! ahhhhh

Seriously though, check out.

Listen to Jeph in his suggested listening. You should all listen to most of those fucking bands. Especially, Iron & Wine.

Robbo

« Reply #16 on: 15 Apr 2005, 12:39 »

I will always be surprised that Isis and Opeth are on that list. More so Opeth as I know more that a few sceners that like Isis for some reason.

Praeserpium Machinarum

« Reply #17 on: 15 Apr 2005, 12:43 »

Someone told me efterklang were Danish... maybe they were wrong.

Efterklang is danish, not dutch, why is it that people can't tell the difference?

oh well Denmark has a good deal of good bands, including Mew, but also:

Under Byen - these guys and girls cannot get enough praise, I can't really describe them, they have to be experienced, though like most of the bands on this list, their records are only available in Europe.

Moon Gringo - recently disbanded indiepop band, but their two records Boy Girl Beat and their newest Ingrid Superstar are among the best indiepop I ever have heard.

Kitty Wu - dark ominous sparse rock'n'roll with really good lyrics

Kashmir - In their early days they were a form of funkrock band with witty lyrics, now they have matured quite a lot and made a milestone(in Denmark at least) with their album The Good Life, which some described as their Dark Side of the Moon.
A while ago came Zitilites out, which was also quite good, they may be my favourite band ever, though I seldom listen to them. It's just nice to know they are there ;)

epo-555 - danish shoegazer at it's best, gorgeous melodies and just the right  kind of ghostly vocals

ENTAKT - A demoband, but never the less, they are pretty good and their vocalist kick ass, I don't know how to describe them, may be a little triphop-influenced?

Sorten Muld - I think they are disbanded, but they made some really good electronica records with adapted old danish ballads of bloodshed and dwarves and soothsayers, that may sound strange, but it's in danish so... anyway they are good.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #18 on: 15 Apr 2005, 13:15 »

Quote from: Praeserpium Machinarum
Someone told me efterklang were Danish... maybe they were wrong.

Efterklang is danish, not dutch, why is it that people can't tell the difference?

Same reason why I've came across alot of people that think Heineken is German I suspect.

Sake, this really interesting band that I believe is/was from California.  I'm not sure if to consider them punk, hardcore or other but they have a violinist and duel male/female vocalist

Me And The Moon Car

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #20 on: 15 Apr 2005, 14:54 »

The Residents.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

BlueCoatKarma

« Reply #21 on: 15 Apr 2005, 15:15 »

These bands are at least halfway there in the "being heard"-ness department, but you can never have too many people listening to good music. Actually, that's totally not true. But still.

Soul Coughing.

Mirah.

Smog.

That is all.

muffy

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #22 on: 15 Apr 2005, 15:21 »

Mirah = love. One of the best voices I think I've heard in ages...

And, as it's just come on my playlist,
BRAKES.

It's Eamon from British Sea Power, the brothers from Electric Soft Parade and Marc from the Tenderfoot, and they are the BEST BAND IN THE FUCKING WORLD.
Their stuff ranges from Clinic style dance-y indieness but better than any indie shit to psychotic brilliance...
please, if you own a soul, look at http://www.brakesbrakesbrakes.com, as they own you already, you just don't know it yet.

LightThievesAll

• Obscure cultural reference
    • http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~ajohnsto
« Reply #23 on: 15 Apr 2005, 16:08 »

The Effigies.

Great band from Chicago.  In the early '80s they were bootboys who played awesome hardcore, but they evolved into more of a post-punk band as the decade progressed.  Totally fucking awesome.  Very intelligent, they just don't get nearly as much respect as other classic midwest bands, like Husker Du or Negative Approach.  Check them out.
Everybody needs to believe in something.  I believe I'll have another beer.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #24 on: 15 Apr 2005, 20:04 »

Throw Rag.

My buddy described them as "Turbonegro being sent to join the navy" and it is oddly apt, except throw in a man playing a instrument that combines washboard and cowbell.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #25 on: 15 Apr 2005, 21:01 »

Canvas. The intro to 'Black Shape of the Nexus (Mk.2)' from 'Lost In Rock' is possibly the greatest start to any album ever. More people should hear Soophie Nun Squad too, since I'm sure it would make them much chirpier. They basically sound like the best squat party of all time.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

24_hour_revenge_therapy

« Reply #26 on: 15 Apr 2005, 22:46 »

*coughjawbreakercough*

or is that a little obvious?

Patatat

« Reply #27 on: 15 Apr 2005, 22:54 »

Everyone listens to Jawbreaker.

I suggest you suggest, Black Dahlia Murder.

24_hour_revenge_therapy

« Reply #28 on: 15 Apr 2005, 22:57 »

hey, everyone here might listen to them, but god forbid you mention their name in a hardcore setting.  you get tarred and feathered.  

but yeah, black dahlia murder rocks.  one of the best live shows i've ever seen.  

bury your dead are great too.  and the warriors.  and set your goals.  and a million other bands.  i=music geek.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #29 on: 15 Apr 2005, 23:04 »

You get tarred and feathered for mentioning Jawbreaker in a hardcore setting? Wow, your scene must suck hard.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

24_hour_revenge_therapy

« Reply #30 on: 15 Apr 2005, 23:12 »

nah.  just a lot of kids that love the thugcore.  can't really figure it out myself.  yeah, i'm into shattered realm, but acting all tough all the time just wears me out.  i'd rather have a lemonade and watch maury povich.

Patatat

« Reply #31 on: 15 Apr 2005, 23:14 »

Did you say Bury Your Dead...

Them be fighting words boy..

Just kidding.

24_hour_revenge_therapy

« Reply #32 on: 15 Apr 2005, 23:19 »

Quote from: Patatat

Just kidding.

...your dead to me.

:P

tigerlily

« Reply #33 on: 16 Apr 2005, 12:21 »

Filmmaker

Fantastic band that broke up a little while back [so sad] but you can usually track down some of their stuff.  Or ask me.  =P

Robbo

« Reply #34 on: 16 Apr 2005, 12:27 »

Everyone listens to Jawbreaker.

I suggest you suggest, Black Dahlia Murder.

I'm sorry but what? BDM are one of the most horrible and fucking generic things come out of the Melo Death genre.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #35 on: 16 Apr 2005, 15:16 »

Morbid Angel, Dude. Morbid Angel beats them in generic ness by a longshot.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

mechorg

« Reply #36 on: 16 Apr 2005, 15:28 »

Dresden Dolls.

I haven't heard them mentioned enough and I absolutely love them.
So what if its Tori Amos with a darker past and pent up anger, you can tell there is pure emotion coming from that duo.

Robbo

« Reply #37 on: 16 Apr 2005, 15:30 »

Quote from: Kai
Morbid Angel, Dude. Morbid Angel beats them in generic ness by a longshot.

I said Melo Death. And there are far more generic Death Metal bands that Morbid Angel (apart from their last album)

Plumbum

« Reply #38 on: 16 Apr 2005, 16:02 »

Apan! ("The Ape")

They rap pretty slow and are not very skilled even thought their texts rock.
Uh, actually only three or four of their songs are worth listening to...
Actually they aren't very good at all. But I sure wish more people knew about them.

They have some free music on their website (it's under musik which means music :D, strange huh?)

I recommend Ingen som Hör dig, Desperat Psykedelia, En Kväll som Denna and På Västfronten intet Nytt.

I feel kind of French recommending things in a language few know and which sound silly pretty often.

www.apan.se

fin

« Reply #39 on: 16 Apr 2005, 16:08 »

the pAper chAse

indescribeably brilliant and fucked up.
"hide the kitchen knives" especially the track "where have those hands been"

and anybody who dosent know brendan benson should check him out. seeing him for the second time this year next week \0/.

edit:
65DOS kick teh asses.
and amazon has some bits of that paper chase album to d/l. cant comment on clip length/quality as this pc has no sound card :/
DRIVE CAREFULLY DEAR.

mattkills

« Reply #40 on: 16 Apr 2005, 22:32 »

two picks for the day:

opto.  a collaboration between glitch-idm composer opiate (as seen on bjork's vespertine album and his own brilliant full lengths) and avant-electronic musician alva noto (not many minimalist electronic composers have museums commission them to make music for an exhibit).  the first cd has tracks named after times of the day.  at times they sound like some of aphex twin's more ambient stuff, other times it would fit well on constellation's roster (sounding like polmo polpo or the more ambient moments of godspeed for easy reference.)  definitely softer and more of a background type music.  very very beautiful though.

swans.  no, they aren't that obscure.  no, they aren't that unheard of.  but no one fucking talks about them!  from jarboe's fucking lilting voice that keeps you high up to gira's deep groan that will keep you down, from the haunting melodies that remind you of walking into a beautiful but creepy old building to the crushing heaviness that reminds you that that creepy old building was set to be demolished that day.  this band has it all, and the lyrics are just the cherry on top.  haven't heard them?  trepadacious?  do you like neurosis or isis?  what about converge?  sonic youth?  yep, they all love swans (sonic youth used to play a lot of shows with them in the 80's, though swans is definitely more sonic youth influenced, not the other way around...)  it can take a few listens to get into, but once you do, man, you will be hooked.  i suggest you start with children of god and then move to filth and the great annihilator.  go off on it.

Patatat

« Reply #41 on: 16 Apr 2005, 22:39 »

Quote from: 24_hour_revenge_therapy

Just kidding.

...your dead to me.

:P

We've already been over...I get the kids.

By the way, if you haven't you should check out www.myspace.com/vanzetti good ass michigan grindcore.

El Opium

« Reply #42 on: 16 Apr 2005, 22:41 »

I've not seen anyone else here mention the Fire Show here. They're probably the only neo post-punk band I've ever really gotten into, well they're one of my favorite bands ever. You can download their whole catalogue free and legally at:
http://www.resplendentmusic.com/releases.html , just cause their singer is a nice person.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #43 on: 16 Apr 2005, 22:55 »

Quote from: Robbo

I said Melo Death. And there are far more generic Death Metal bands that Morbid Angel (apart from their last album)

*cough*sixfeetunder*cough*

As for Melo Death...is there anything actually original coming out the whole genre at all nowdays? Almost everyone decent's either progressed out (Opeth) sold out (In Flames) selling out (Soilwork) split up (Edge of Sanity) or is simply re-hashing their glory days endlessly and with less and less success (Dark Tranquillity). All the new bands are either slavish clones (Gardenian, BDM) random stabs at false originality (Dark Lunacy, who actually aren't that bad tbh) or Gothenburg-influenced metalcore (Shadows Fall, Unearth). The only MDM band I still look forward to releases from is Arch Enemy (And Children of Bodom, but I don't consider them MDM).

I wish more people talked more about Candlemass. It's like all the doomsters skip straight from Sabbath to the early nineties Birmingham scene and forget fucking Epicus Doomicus Metallicus slap-bang in the middle of it all. Everyone who likes doom knows Candlemass, but they always seem to get overlooked: It's all 'My Dying Bride this' and 'Electric Wizard that'. They released some of the best clean Doom ever, imo, and deserve more mentions.

I also wish more people knew Ewigkeit and Contrastic. Probably the two best electro-metal bands in the world.

daysweregolden

« Reply #44 on: 17 Apr 2005, 00:17 »

my disco

www.crashingjets.com

they are from melbourne australia and are touring the states in a month or so so if they come to your town make sure you go see em, fucking rad band.

mattkills

« Reply #45 on: 17 Apr 2005, 00:18 »

candlemass is real good.  i dig a lot.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #46 on: 17 Apr 2005, 00:29 »

Quote from: tigerlily
Filmmaker

Holy shit yes.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Robbo

« Reply #47 on: 17 Apr 2005, 03:33 »

*cough*sixfeetunder*cough*

*SNIP*

I also wish more people knew Ewigkeit and Contrastic. Probably the two best electro-metal bands in the world.

Six Feet Under = Shitty rock and roll with even more shitty death vox. But yes, great example. Oh, Soilworks new album is the total sell out. And you're on wit the rest man.

CoB are pretty much Blackend Power Metal, Power with little BM touches in distortions and style and of course the vocals.

I've heard of Candlemass and yeah, I still need to get around to looking into them.

Schmung

« Reply #48 on: 17 Apr 2005, 04:23 »

The Stereophonics first two albums were great. They don't seem to be particularly 'cool' though and are oft ignored by indie types fo being too mainstream or some such shit. Their loss.

Robbo

« Reply #49 on: 17 Apr 2005, 04:24 »

How can a mainstream band need to be heard of more? Surely LESS people need to have heard of them if you want Indie people liking them?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up