THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 12:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: talk about a band you wish more people have heard of here.  (Read 44089 times)

Schmung

talk about a band you wish more people have heard of here.
« Reply #50 on: 17 Apr 2005, 04:26 »

Because (some) indie people are so far up their own arses that they ignore anything more 5 people know about, often to their own detriment.

Robbo

« Reply #51 on: 17 Apr 2005, 04:27 »

I find it so funny that Indie is following in the footsteps of Black Metal.

BehringerBoy

« Reply #52 on: 17 Apr 2005, 11:51 »

another danish artist that wasnīt mentioned by my fellow dane Praeserpium Machinarum would be Tim Christensen. Pretty mainstream around here but i donīt think alot of peolple in other countries have heard of him. Great pop/classic rock nī roll. best thing that has come out of denmark along with Kashmir in my opinion.

mooface

« Reply #53 on: 17 Apr 2005, 15:03 »

The Arrogant Worms.

No one knows about them, but they make me giggle.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #54 on: 17 Apr 2005, 16:00 »

I love the Arrogant Worms.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

pip_helix

« Reply #55 on: 17 Apr 2005, 17:35 »

Quote from: mechorg
Dresden Dolls.

I haven't heard them mentioned enough and I absolutely love them.
So what if its Tori Amos with a darker past and pent up anger, you can tell there is pure emotion coming from that duo.

<3

one of the most fantabulous bands i've seen live. and, please, leave tori amos out of this...

thehoopiestfrood

« Reply #56 on: 17 Apr 2005, 18:02 »

Quote from: MilkmanDan
65 Days of Static, dammit.
YOU KNOW I'M RIGHT!
http://www.65daysofstatic.com

As always Jetplane Landing.

www.jetplanelanding.com

(Also Fighting With Wire who supported 65 Days of Static on the recent tour I think who share a member with Jetplane Landing. www.fightingwithwire.co.uk )

johnnylaw

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
    • http://www.instantmessinger.net
« Reply #57 on: 17 Apr 2005, 18:08 »

I have to rep a band that went to my high school - Frodus.  Nerdy post-punk spazcore with plenty of screaming and bizarre lyrics about fictional corporations taking over the world.  They're no longer around, but you can get their discs online, in some pretentious record store, or if you're so inclined, you can probably find some tracks on P2P networks.  Two members later started Decahedron, which is pretty similar both musically and lyrically.
"I never take any notice of what common people say, and I never interfere with what charming people do."

fin

« Reply #58 on: 17 Apr 2005, 18:25 »

RE:stereophonics

they are both underated and overated. people either like them for the wrong reasons or hate them form the wrong reasons. much like travis their musical ability is both overestimated and underestimated. neither are particularly groundbreaking, but both produce good *songs*.

imo beer etc.

betteroffdead

« Reply #59 on: 17 Apr 2005, 19:54 »

hooray for whoever mentioned the dresden dolls! (didn't get around to reading the whole thread). i love them. it'd be so cool to see them live.

the raincoats. soo awesome! but not enough people listen to them! (too weird i guess). whatever- i like eccentric 70s chick bands with violins

also, i think more people need to hear the wonderfulness of breaker! breaker! (http://www.breakerbreaker.org). o and harvey danger, because they have some of the most beautiful lyrics i've ever heard (i know they're not very "indie" since they had a relativelly popular single, but it surprises me that a very small amount of people are really into them).

tute666

« Reply #60 on: 17 Apr 2005, 20:48 »

Dj Shadow  trip-hop/hip-hop.  unbelieveable
Black Label Society the band of ozzy's ex guitarist, zakk wylde.
Envy  japanese hardcore x'D
Clann Zú aussie altrock or wtf.

rynne

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Hey, nice marmot!
« Reply #61 on: 17 Apr 2005, 21:39 »

Quote from: El Opium
I've not seen anyone else here mention the Fire Show here. They're probably the only neo post-punk band I've ever really gotten into, well they're one of my favorite bands ever. You can download their whole catalogue free and legally at:
http://www.resplendentmusic.com/releases.html , just cause their singer is a nice person.

Oh, hell yes.  The Fire Show are amazing.  It’s a damn shame they ended when they did.  Their debut was great, and then every subsequent release flung their horizons wider.

Their version of "You Are My Sunshine" is just devastating.  (It's on the third album from the right in El Opium's link, for anyone who wants to check it out.)
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #62 on: 17 Apr 2005, 22:27 »

Quote from: tute666

I've actually got their patch on my patch jacket.

Nice patch. Nice band.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Druid

« Reply #63 on: 18 Apr 2005, 00:05 »

Reflector - Kansas Emo. I know you're thinking emo=bad, but they're closer to Braid and Fugazi then what passes as emo now.

Hopesfall - I haven't seen them mentioned much on this forum. Satellite Years is spacy Hardcore, close to HUM then metal. Their new album, A-types,  is awful though.

Bellini - Proggy noisey music. It has Damon Che of Don Caballero fame as the drummer.

Edit: I should probably also mention Financial Panther, Before Braille, and Bullyrag A.K.A. Fucking Thunder.

dave86

« Reply #64 on: 18 Apr 2005, 02:23 »

Stellastarr* - it's incredible. Everyone in the band is like super-cool, and every song is just so much fun to listen to. Also if you see 'em live, the singer is mental. In teh good way.

**spluttertheymightbegiantschoke**

Robbo

« Reply #65 on: 18 Apr 2005, 04:04 »

They've been on MTV, hardly need more people to hear them.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #66 on: 18 Apr 2005, 05:35 »

Good call, Envy are a great band and they're the kind of thing I can imagine people liking a lot even if they're not too keen on hardcore in general. I hear they're amazing live too.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

eepedeep

« Reply #67 on: 18 Apr 2005, 05:56 »

Alex Boyt

amazing at guitar and voilin.

pip_helix

« Reply #68 on: 18 Apr 2005, 07:11 »

loquat.

dunno a thing about them, but their music is so prettiful.

MilkmanDan

« Reply #69 on: 18 Apr 2005, 07:23 »

Clearly most people have heard of 65daysofstatic. This is excellant. It is fair to say that they are my favourite band, and while they remain in this position, I will whore them with much enthusiasm. (Not my favourite artist, that changes all the time. Just favourite band)
Those who still be hating, cease. They rule.

Some may say my choice was poor, given that loads of people already know them. I think not. Clearly, my tactical nomination has won the thread.

You may now continue, pitifully striving for that silver medal.
Fin.

mattkills

« Reply #70 on: 18 Apr 2005, 09:58 »

i actually got the raincoats reunion lp the other day.  i wasn't too into it though, so i gave it to a friend who loves em.  i like the other stuff more i guess.

and envy is really really good.  my friend danielle got the luxury of driving them around and seeing them for 14 nights in a row.  needless to say i was jealous.

Mnementh

« Reply #71 on: 18 Apr 2005, 10:06 »

Poe.

kingfandango

« Reply #72 on: 18 Apr 2005, 12:48 »

HUM: I've only heard like three people I don't know mention them and Downward is Heavenward is probably my favorite albulm ever and in my opinion were way ahead of their time.

Katatonia:  Though this band has gone through significant changes over the years they are still one of my top five.  If you want dark, gloomy music to slit your wrists to, check out "Brave Murder Day" or "Discouraged Ones".  If you like progressive rock with catchy riffs and uniquely awesome vocals anything from "Tonights Music" to "Last Fair Deal Gone Down" to "Viva Emptiness" will rock your socks :)

Blue Oyster Cult: because kids don't respect the classics.

Balzac: Japanese Horror Punk

Avrigus: Epic Doom Metal with beautiful vocals

Pig Destroyer: Grindcore that will warp your soul.

Vision of Disorder: Imprint albulm is one of the most aggressive albulms I've ever heard.

*sorry, I've not gotten into too much indie music "yet", I've heard some that I like, but I don't own any of there cd's, besides maybe an Interpol cd*

Robbo

« Reply #73 on: 18 Apr 2005, 12:52 »

Old Katatonia >>>>>>>>>> New Katatonia. Check out the October Tide side project to see a nice new take on it. Also the first album, Rain Without End was the last recording where Jonas used Death/Doom vocals.

Pig Destroyer are one of the must beautiful and talented Grindcore bands ever. The peotic lyrics are so dark, it's just amazing.

But certainly both bands have enough of a following in the underground ground.

mattkills

« Reply #74 on: 18 Apr 2005, 14:03 »

i don't even think pig destroyer can be called grind anymore.  not since explosions in ward 6, or maybe the split with gnob....  it's too much carcass worship now.  not that that is a bad thing at all, but whatever.  and terrifiyer was not as good as i was hoping...  i mean, it's good, but no where near a "death metal epic."

i'd reccommend 324, birdflesh, sewn shut, and avulsion if you are a fan of grind and need a fix.

Sturge

« Reply #75 on: 19 Apr 2005, 02:02 »

Quote from: a pack of wolves

Good call, Envy are a great band and they're the kind of thing I can imagine people liking a lot even if they're not too keen on hardcore in general. I hear they're amazing live too.

Possibly one of the best live bands i've ever seen.

Awesome. Envy are top ace.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #76 on: 19 Apr 2005, 02:05 »

They cancelled their gig in Leeds at the very last minute. Bastards.
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Druid

« Reply #77 on: 19 Apr 2005, 16:10 »

Quote from: kingfandango
HUM: I've only heard like three people I don't know mention them and Downward is Heavenward is probably my favorite albulm ever and in my opinion were way ahead of their time.

Yes, HUM is awsome and DiH is beautiful.

And they were well ahead of their time; you'd be surprised by how many bands list them as an influence, Deftones, Evergreen Terrace, Hopesfall, and many more of the newer hxc bands.

If you like DiH check out Hopesfall's Satellite Years. It was recorded with Matt Talbot at his recording studio Great Western Record Recorders.

Just to make this relevant.

Glifted - Tim Lash's post-HUM project.
The Rise - Industrial/hardcore type band.

mooface

« Reply #78 on: 19 Apr 2005, 17:21 »

Quote from: Kai
I love the Arrogant Worms.

Yay!

tigerlily

« Reply #79 on: 19 Apr 2005, 22:40 »

Heheh, best song by Arrogant Worms - Last Saskatchewan Pirate

But I'm biased, cause I grew up there.  =P

OtterErotic

« Reply #80 on: 20 Apr 2005, 12:23 »

I hate almost everything that sounds like Envy, but I love Envy.  Go figure.

The Yummy Fur!!  This band was so awesome.  Their catalog is about to be reissued (first ever US release!) on Ba Da Bing!  Hilarious, gangly nerdy Scottish guys who are not these guys.

muffy

« Reply #81 on: 20 Apr 2005, 17:27 »

hehe...I like stereo girls by the yummy fur, but fear their imminent revival is due to the success of Msr Kapranos and not their fuzzy pop genius...oh well, can't have it all.

applecart

Feller Quentin
« Reply #82 on: 20 Apr 2005, 17:31 »

Feller Quentin - I am not a monster

Seriously check this stuff out, he also does hip hop production and lyrics, but I pause to mention that here, as this hold no resemblance.  Lovely and pastoral and at times unsettling.  Good folk with keen production, nuff said.  If you read this thread Jeph, I think this might be up your alley.

-Evan

GebStar

• Furry furrier
« Reply #83 on: 21 Apr 2005, 03:28 »

Dappled Cities Fly.

I've been whoring them, since i saw them last month. Not enough people know them.

Go here.

http://www.dappledcitiesfly.com
Quote from: Trollstormur
that slogan is a good slogan. so good, in fact, I think it should be applied to other things. like, "there's no wrong way to hit your spouse." or "there's no wrong way to commit nonconsentual sodomy."

yggdrasil

« Reply #84 on: 21 Apr 2005, 04:44 »

Wasn't his band called Pride and Glory, or am I thinking of someone else?

yggdrasil

« Reply #85 on: 21 Apr 2005, 04:53 »

Quote from: Praeserpium Machinarum

Under Byen
Moon Gringo

I saw these two play in lille vega once... I felt like I should like both of them, because I quite liked the style of both, but for some reason they didn't grab me. Especially under byen just felt like they were trying too hard to be intense, but failing.

epo-555 - danish shoegazer at it's best, gorgeous melodies and just the right  kind of ghostly vocals

This sounds really good. I must try to hear them sometime...

Sorten Muld

Not too keen on them... the melodies are just too dull somehow. Nice idea though.

Robbo

« Reply #86 on: 21 Apr 2005, 04:54 »

No, Pride & Glory was Zakk's one time Sludge/Southern Rock band that released a self titled in 1994 then split.
Zakk released a solo album (also Sludge/Souther stuff) in 95, called Book of Shadows. That project is dead as well.
Black Label Society was formed in 98 I think and it's his current project.

Faker

• Furry furrier
« Reply #87 on: 21 Apr 2005, 07:38 »

Can't go wrong with  The Frames if you are Irish you probably have heard of them before if not, you MUST check them out. Their new album Burn the Maps was released recently on ANTI in the UK and in the states. also the album Set List, basically works as a live greatest hits album.
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

lofin

« Reply #88 on: 21 Apr 2005, 08:50 »

Mr. Mixel Pixel
atari2600 + synth pop + songs about robots = rad.

listen to them here

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #89 on: 21 Apr 2005, 10:14 »

Just in general, Cryptic Wintermoon. I hardly ever see them mentioned anywhere, even on metal forums. One of my friends has made it his mission to collect the whole dicographies of every melodic death metal band ever, and among all the cliche and general drudge he occasionally turns up something sparkling, and Cryptic Wintermoon is definitely such a jewel. Very virtuous technical MDM with a cutting edge of symphonic black metal, mixing atmosphere and brutality in a barrage of ripping solos and tight, fast drumming.

'Supersatan' is probably one of my favourite songs ever.

"It won't be nice to
meet up with me
'cos all I wanna do
IS TO FISTFUCK YOU!!!"
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

rynne

• Hey, nice marmot!
« Reply #90 on: 21 Apr 2005, 10:50 »

I wish more people had heard of Jim Thirlwell (Foetus, Steriod Maximus, Maonrexia, et. al).

As a composer and arranger, the versatility and depth of his skill is near-unrivaled.  Picking over his Foetus albums alone, one can find surf-rock ("Satan Place"), gospel ("Haus on Fah"), big-band swing ("Slung"), filthy blues ("Bedrock"), industrial ("Verklemmt"), cabaret ("Cirrhosis of the Heart"), symphonies ("Overture from Pigdom Come") among countless other genres.  He doesn’t just ape genre conventions—he’s skilled enough to remake his own image convincingly in each.  

And aside from his musical skills, he's got a gift with lyrics, spinning webs of inverted phrases, deft wordplay, and a pitch-black sense of humor.  (Though the latter means that many folks will probably shy away from the tongue-in-cheek revelries of murder, sex, and hate.)

If you watch The Venture Brothers, you've heard his work—the show's creators were wise enough to enlist Jim's skills as a composer.  Pay attention to the music if you're able to.
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

Tinjessla

« Reply #91 on: 21 Apr 2005, 10:53 »

Quote from: Faker
Can't go wrong with  The Frames if you are Irish you probably have heard of them before if not, you MUST check them out. Their new album Burn the Maps was released recently on ANTI in the UK and in the states. also the album Set List, basically works as a live greatest hits album.

Burn The Maps eh? I think i'll check that out. I only know of two songs from them, Dream Awake and Revelate but i love both of them.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
« Reply #92 on: 21 Apr 2005, 11:19 »

Cruachan. It's uh... irish folk heavy metal with a female vocalist. Really cool.
also israel

Faker

• Furry furrier
« Reply #93 on: 21 Apr 2005, 11:59 »

Quote from: Tinjessla
Quote from: Faker

Burn The Maps eh? I think i'll check that out. I only know of two songs from them, Dream Awake and Revelate but i love both of them.

Dream Awake is on Burn the Maps, Revelate is on their album Fitzcarraldo, and there is an excellant live version of it on Set List

(no i am not working on comission for the band)
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

nickyandthefuture

• Curry sauce
    • http://www.bigorangecrayon.com
« Reply #94 on: 21 Apr 2005, 14:14 »

Hey!  Listen to http://www.bearsuit.co.uk">Bearsuit!  On their site, they have an mp3 of "Itsuko Got Married", which is my favorite song off their new album.

nownownow!
Blue or plain?
Sometimes orange.

SkySoldierEbG

« Reply #95 on: 21 Apr 2005, 16:58 »

I'm told Sage Francis is rising in popularity, but somehow only one person I've talked to has ever heard his talents, and only one other person has heard OF him, period. Sage Francis is rap...but not crappy, or unintelligent...and has some pretty kickass lyrics and rhythm. Go for it, I say.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #96 on: 21 Apr 2005, 17:32 »

Quote from: Robbo
They've been on MTV, hardly need more people to hear them.

MTV does not a well-exposed band make.

EDIT: Mnemneth, Poe played at the Regina Folk Festival last year and they were AWESOME.

I think I'm thinking of the same Poe as you. The one you're talking about would fit in at a folk festival, right?
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

yggdrasil

« Reply #97 on: 22 Apr 2005, 00:00 »

Quote from: nickyandthefuture
Hey!  Listen to http://www.bearsuit.co.uk">Bearsuit!  On their site, they have an mp3 of "Itsuko Got Married", which is my favorite song off their new album.

Hey! I'm planning to go see them next month when they play in Glasgow. Should be good I hope!

MilkmanDan

« Reply #98 on: 22 Apr 2005, 01:15 »

Quote from: SkySoldierEbG
I'm told Sage Francis is rising in popularity, but somehow only one person I've talked to has ever heard his talents, and only one other person has heard OF him, period. Sage Francis is rap...but not crappy, or unintelligent...and has some pretty kickass lyrics and rhythm. Go for it, I say.

SECOND'D
Also, hellacious live.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #99 on: 22 Apr 2005, 03:37 »

Yeah I got played his album on Epitaph and it was pretty good. Nice to hear some political hip-hop with a decent beat.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up