THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 03:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Musicians/bands you have an irrational hatred of  (Read 91191 times)

LightThievesAll

• Obscure cultural reference
    • http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~ajohnsto
Musicians/bands you have an irrational hatred of
« Reply #100 on: 20 Apr 2005, 19:40 »

Quote from: a pack of wolves
That whole skinhead = racist thing is so fucking dumb it's ridiculous. It always seems like Antifa et al have more skins than morons like the BNP. It amazes me that people will still judge you like that.

Well, you're in Britain, I'm in the US.  Here, skinhead = Ed Norton with a swastika tattoo.  When I tell people there are more anti-racist skinheads than fascist skins they are shocked.
Everybody needs to believe in something.  I believe I'll have another beer.

steve-king

« Reply #101 on: 21 Apr 2005, 01:25 »

Queen, just because everyone round here won't hear a word against them.

Nirvana, because nobody can see what fakes they were

patch

« Reply #102 on: 21 Apr 2005, 03:04 »

i also hate nirvana. all that angst and fucking testoterone
jet
70s punk
early ska/reggae
ska/reggae
dance music
jet.
the datsuns.
the casanovas.
jet.

i really hate jet

yipjumpmusic

« Reply #103 on: 21 Apr 2005, 03:07 »

for jet...hmm, not irrational

devils_daughter

« Reply #104 on: 22 Apr 2005, 04:40 »

To be honest, I can't really get into any indie bands, I really dislike most of it *ducks and waits for the verbal/physical abuse to start*

Also...50 fucking cent, what the hell is that about? The guys been shot what 9 times...take a hint dude, people want you DEAD

Robbo

« Reply #105 on: 22 Apr 2005, 04:45 »

Quote from: steve-king
Queen, just because everyone round here won't hear a word against them.

Nirvana, because nobody can see what fakes they were

Only thinh worse than Nirvana is listening to Mudhoney fans complaining about Nirvana apprently ripping them off.

And sliding up and down the B string is no a god damn solo. I think even Indie "solos are evil" Kids can see that.

Praeserpium Machinarum

« Reply #106 on: 22 Apr 2005, 06:52 »

Also...50 fucking cent, what the hell is that about? The guys been shot what 9 times...take a hint dude, people want you DEAD

that is... beautiful, I almost cried with joy ;)

static_cult

« Reply #107 on: 22 Apr 2005, 11:04 »

I really dislike HED PE.

Hardcore + Rap + Obnoxius lyrics = pile of shit that has no right being on Headbanger's Ball.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #108 on: 22 Apr 2005, 15:48 »

Quote from: Robbo
I fully blame Korn, Slipknot and every no longer Metal sellout band for making people not like Metal. And then I'm glad of it.

Reminds me: I can't stand like 90% of the metal that's out there. I just can't stand it. It all seems to be self-indulgent, nihilistic, down-tuned musical wankery supported half the time by a guy who sounds like a dying bear, about 2/5ths of the time by some guy who sounds like he'd fit in perfectly with a castrato choir, and the other ten percent are supported by a girl or a person of indeterminable gender.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Robbo

« Reply #109 on: 22 Apr 2005, 15:58 »

Man that's some conflicting views on Metal. But then it's a very music driven genre...just what part of the music drives it can vary A LOT.

I dunno what stuff you've actually heard, but hey if you like even 10% there will probably be a few more bands you'd like. Give into the good stuff.

Signum_Tenebrae

« Reply #110 on: 22 Apr 2005, 17:56 »

Metal is such a HUGE and multi-faceted genre with tons of subgenres and subgenres of those subgenres.  I'm sure there's some kind of metal you can get into no matter who you are.

thehoopiestfrood

« Reply #111 on: 22 Apr 2005, 17:59 »

Axl Rose. And Guns and Roses.

Jon Bon Jovi as well.

Grrrrr

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #112 on: 22 Apr 2005, 19:17 »

Hating Axl Rose is not irrational. Infact, it's just the opposite. I have the samw effect with Ted Nugent.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

jus

« Reply #113 on: 22 Apr 2005, 20:02 »

I don't think I dislike any bands that aren't very obviously atrociously bad (Blink 182 types that don't warrant mention). All those borderline/interesting but not for me type bands/intelligent, or creative but a little annoying bands... I usually end up liking while I am in the process of putting them down.

"I hate that band."

Listens to tracks to prove theory.

"Nevermind. That was dope."

There's more "like" (not love) in me than hate.

Kid Amnesiac

« Reply #114 on: 23 Apr 2005, 02:34 »

Morrisey
Antony and the Johnsons
Secret Machines
The Killers
Stellastarr*
Underoath
Wolf Eyes
Fiery Furnaces
Joanna Newsom

And prolly some more that I can't think of.

yipjumpmusic

« Reply #115 on: 23 Apr 2005, 02:38 »

poor ol' Fiery Furnaces...I loved them live but the first cd, not the latest one which I have not heard, well that one before...meh, not like them live at all

peppy

« Reply #116 on: 23 Apr 2005, 03:52 »

i hate to agree with the ataris (and boy, do i hate it), but ben lee does kinda suck. which is a shame. so many of the famous aussie acts are just shit, when theres so much good stuff down here. i also hate killing heidi, jet and pete murray.

dave86

« Reply #117 on: 23 Apr 2005, 06:51 »

Franz Ferdinand. I swear if i hear them again. I mean, I will swear if i hear them again. Loudly.

Whats wrong with Stellastarr*? Good music, mental singer, hot bassist. What's not to like?

Anyone think NME bands are similar to 80's hair bands (Bon Jovi etc)? They're hyped way beyond their talents, dress like mongols, sound just like eachother, and are strangely popular. Man, I hate Bon Jovi. Prick.

StrikeThePostman

« Reply #118 on: 23 Apr 2005, 06:54 »

I used to have an irrational hatred of the Shins because my best friend talked about how great they were ALL THE TIME.  However, now I'm just as bad as she is.

Robbo

« Reply #119 on: 23 Apr 2005, 07:04 »

Quote from: dave86

Whats wrong with Stellastarr*? Good music, mental singer, hot bassist. What's not to like?

Liking a band because the members are "hot" what are you, an 8 year old girl? I want to find the person that started this Indie music of boring = good and beat them to death. That's my main problem with Stellastarr*

dave86

« Reply #120 on: 23 Apr 2005, 07:09 »

The "hot" comment was a joke. Thanks anyway.

Hector Gilbert

« Reply #121 on: 23 Apr 2005, 09:06 »

I'll give everything a chance but I've generally disliked anything that I've heard from HIM, The Rasmus, and Jack Off Jill.  Apart from that there's either something that I've heard and at least vaguely enjoyed from any given band, or I might have not heard enough for a balanced opinion.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #122 on: 23 Apr 2005, 09:44 »

Jack off Jill pwn HIM and the Rasmus with a +10 used razorblade of owning.

The Rasmus suck. HIM I have a feeling I might quite like but for those fucking heartagrams everywhere, and all those stupid fucking girls drooling over Ville Valo*.

Nergal from Behemoth is clearly much hotter.

*They are still quite boring though
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

kikanjuuneko

« Reply #123 on: 23 Apr 2005, 14:09 »

I have this promo copy of Demigod, and the photo on it features Behemoth doing their best poses, and Nergal is such a total hottie.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #124 on: 23 Apr 2005, 14:12 »

The one where he's on his knees, in makeup?

That picture makes me wet. The one where he's in the throne too. ^____^;
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

kikanjuuneko

« Reply #125 on: 23 Apr 2005, 14:16 »

I think that's the one, yeah. Also, the idea of you doing one of those anime-type smileys makes me laugh like few other things.

jus

« Reply #126 on: 23 Apr 2005, 14:52 »

Man, I hate Bon Jovi. Prick.

Soooooooooo seconded. Wow, I can't believe I forgot them. I mean wow- they're crap.

Forget what I said about not being hateful enough.

Poke

« Reply #127 on: 23 Apr 2005, 20:30 »

I am prepared to get verbally berated for this....

Metallica

*hurls*

Perhaps it's partially because they are the untimate music sharing Nazis, or because I think it's a disgrace to call it metal. And I am certainly no metal mafiaso, I only like a little bit of it (Acid Bath, In Flames, The Gathering, a few more) But I don't think anyone who likes metal should claim Metallica. All the time I hear "oh well they are sellouts now, but their older stuff is good"
Ok, hardly. Enter Sandman and Whiskey in a Jar are 2 songs I can think of that I like, but for them supposedly being the best metal band of all time, they are so highly dissapointing I never want to have to listen to them again!

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #128 on: 23 Apr 2005, 22:24 »

Quote from: Poke
Acid Bath

Big big big big big <3. Acid Bath are one of my favourite bands ever.

I totally agree with you about metallica. They produced some good albums, and one or two very good songs back in the day. Then they released the black album, which was an ok album with a few good songs. Then they released a load of crap, which was at least 98% crap, though occasionally they churned a decent rocker out.

Lars Ulric really is a humongous turd-burglar though.

Robbo

« Reply #129 on: 24 Apr 2005, 04:10 »

Poke, most Metalheads know Metallica sucked. Master of Puppets = Average at best.

Dark Angel where are FAR better Thrash band.

mikemike

« Reply #130 on: 24 Apr 2005, 04:52 »

Anyone think NME bands are similar to 80's hair bands (Bon Jovi etc)? They're hyped way beyond their talents, dress like mongols, sound just like eachother, and are strangely popular. Man, I hate Bon Jovi. Prick.

Agreed, with some exceptions (Franz Ferdinand, Bloc Party, The Futureheads). Bon Jovi make me angry.

Radiowar

• Obscure cultural reference
    • my music
« Reply #131 on: 24 Apr 2005, 12:47 »

Sum 41. Fucking hacks.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #132 on: 24 Apr 2005, 16:51 »

Sum 41 is not an irrational thing to hate at all.  In fact, any band that sounds like they conned their name from an AIM chat room is pretty hatred worthy.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Hector Gilbert

« Reply #133 on: 24 Apr 2005, 17:06 »

I never thought that Metallica were the best metal band ever or anything silly like that, but they had a great sound on Ride The Lightning that still sounds fresh - if anything, Ride The Lightning sounds a lot less dated than 80s albums from (good) bands such as Iron Maiden and Mercyful Fate.  I am fairly indifferent about them other than that, though, and I get the impression that most metal fans are too - if I were to go for a metal album in 1984, I would still pick Celtic Frost's Morbid Tales over Ride The Lightning.

That said, if you were to round up any fifty people into a room and make them listen to Ride The Lightning and Morbid Tales I wouldn't bet on Morbid Tales coming out of it too well.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #134 on: 24 Apr 2005, 18:46 »

Quote from: Kai
Sum 41 is not an irrational thing to hate at all.  In fact, any band that sounds like they conned their name from an AIM chat room is pretty hatred worthy.

Might I say that I love you, Kai, and I hate Sum 41 to a degree that mere mortals could not understand. Their name does suck like none other.

I shall now sacrifice a goat to the gods that control good music and other happy awesome stuff.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

wheriend_ndyubgn

« Reply #135 on: 24 Apr 2005, 19:32 »

relient k MAKE HOMER GO CRAZY!!!!111oneoneone!!

ahadlkhfas;dlf

alic3sw0nd3rland

« Reply #136 on: 24 Apr 2005, 20:08 »

The Beach Boys. Come on theres gotta be more in their minds than surfing and girls.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #137 on: 24 Apr 2005, 20:25 »

Quote from: alic3sw0nd3rland
The Beach Boys. Come on theres gotta be more in their minds than surfing and girls.

Does 'making lots and lots of money from the music industry' count?

Jolouie

« Reply #138 on: 25 Apr 2005, 20:18 »

Mars Volta.

I can not STAND these guys. The singer annoys me so much. He practically swallows the entire mic live.

UGH

Elemental Poser

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #139 on: 25 Apr 2005, 20:30 »

i like their song "the window" but i dont like the way they look or the video that much... but yeah i am into the punk/emo thing but i hate simple plan b/c they are sell outs and my friend likes to call them MTV whores for a lil show called damage control
Live for something, or you'll die for nothing...

Robbo

« Reply #140 on: 26 Apr 2005, 00:31 »

Quote from: Hector Gilbert
That said, if you were to round up any fifty people into a room and make them listen to Ride The Lightning and Morbid Tales I wouldn't bet on Morbid Tales coming out of it too well.

I dunno, depends on the people. I could probably find a fair number of that fifty that do/would love Morbid Tales. Because Celtic Frost are awesome.

Hephesus

« Reply #141 on: 26 Apr 2005, 11:47 »

The White Stripes.... I'm not sure why... I guess that's why its irrational... they just seem to be 30 years late.

Signum_Tenebrae

« Reply #142 on: 26 Apr 2005, 15:31 »

Quote from: Hector Gilbert
I never thought that Metallica were the best metal band ever or anything silly like that, but they had a great sound on Ride The Lightning that still sounds fresh - if anything, Ride The Lightning sounds a lot less dated than 80s albums from (good) bands such as Iron Maiden and Mercyful Fate.  I am fairly indifferent about them other than that, though, and I get the impression that most metal fans are too - if I were to go for a metal album in 1984, I would still pick Celtic Frost's Morbid Tales over Ride The Lightning.

Ride The Lightning has much more of a mainstream appeal than Morbid Tales.

As for the Mercyful Fate comparisons, listen to Kill Em All, it's pure MF worship/ripoff.

DeathrockZombie

« Reply #143 on: 26 Apr 2005, 16:00 »

I really can't stand Tool!
They just don't ROCK! Nice if you like songs about nebulii. Uhh.. Nebuluses.

Also Kenny G!

~ B

californaya

« Reply #144 on: 26 Apr 2005, 16:16 »

Good Charlotte. My hatred of them is very rationalized. It's not just their music, but it's also their fan base and the image they put out to the mainstream about being punk.

And The Rasmus. I don't hate them; just the fact that their image doesn't match their music.

Otherwise, I like all other bands, some more/less than others.

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #145 on: 26 Apr 2005, 16:58 »

I have grown to hate Nine Inch Nails.  Everytime I hear "Closer" (and trust me, I hear it a lot all of a sudden)  I yell at the person who is playing it.  It's not that they suck or anything, it's just that I'm really really tired of hearing that song, and that cascades into their other work.
Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

nothingwitty

« Reply #146 on: 26 Apr 2005, 22:54 »

Why are you people not saying Evanescence?!  The need to be dragged out into the street and kill'd.

And, as much as I hate to say it, Modest Mouse.  I tried, really I did.  I tried long and hard.  Not a fan.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #147 on: 26 Apr 2005, 23:40 »

I've never quite understood why people hate Evanescence quite so much. They always seemed pretty inoffensive to me, if dastardly poserish (but if that was a criterion I could compile you an insanely massive list). I suppose it could be to do with the fact that they hardly get any air-time over here, a situation which I guess may be somewhat different in America?

BlueCoatKarma

« Reply #148 on: 26 Apr 2005, 23:51 »

I'm also in the irrational dislike of metal boat. I tend to place too much focus on lyrics and vocal talent (which isn't helped by the fact that I don't play an instrument.)

I dislike Evanescence because I don't like the lyrics or image. And since I don't like metal (esp. "goth" metal)... it's just a bad combination if you're trying to get on my good side. Which they're clearly not. And that's respectable.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #149 on: 26 Apr 2005, 23:54 »

Evanescence aren't metal. Or goth. But that's quite beside the point.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up