THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 21:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Musicians/bands you have an irrational hatred of  (Read 91490 times)

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Musicians/bands you have an irrational hatred of
« Reply #350 on: 20 May 2005, 20:06 »

Quote from: With the spelling cleaned up, a probably drunken KharBevNor
And man at least the Sex Pistols had a fucking attitude. At least they shocked. When was the last fucking time ANYONE stuck it to society and the fucking man big time?

A gimmick to advertise a store named "SEX"
+ childish, misrepresented politics
+ badly written lyrics
- ability to play instruments
=/= sticking it to the man.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #351 on: 20 May 2005, 20:26 »

I really don't like Deerhoof. Or any math rock. It just irritates me. Pick a tempo and stick with it!
I like the way you work it.

_grace_

« Reply #352 on: 20 May 2005, 21:12 »

maybe i just like more things than everybody else.

e.g Conor oberst's haircut. it aint THAT bad. but then, i like The Vines

oh, and Deerhoof. "milkman" is awesome.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #353 on: 20 May 2005, 22:55 »

I love Deerhoof, but math rock pisses me off. What the hell kind of name is "math rock," anyhow.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Praeserpium Machinarum

« Reply #354 on: 21 May 2005, 00:55 »

mathematicians who play rock?
I don't know...

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #355 on: 21 May 2005, 03:36 »

the Sex Pistols may not have 'Stuck it to the Man', whatever the hell that means, but they scared the everliving shit out of a lot of old tories, bought punk into the popular consciousness, helped spawn a massive wave of oft superior new punk bands and did occasionally spin out a decent tune.  I don't see why it's so, well, almost fashionable to hate them. I can accept that, if you're in to punk, they're probably the ultimate poser band to like, of course, but still...
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Robbo

« Reply #356 on: 21 May 2005, 04:10 »

Quote from: Skibas_clavicle
Or any math rock. It just irritates me. Pick a tempo and stick with it!

Considering how Math stuff is written, that isn't gonna happen unless someone cocks up the formulas. And hey, they probably stick to boundry limits at least.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #357 on: 21 May 2005, 05:28 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
the Sex Pistols may not have 'Stuck it to the Man', whatever the hell that means, but they scared the everliving shit out of a lot of old tories, bought punk into the popular consciousness, helped spawn a massive wave of oft superior new punk bands and did occasionally spin out a decent tune.  I don't see why it's so, well, almost fashionable to hate them. I can accept that, if you're in to punk, they're probably the ultimate poser band to like, of course, but still...

I'd never consider someone a poser for liking the Sex Pistols. Or any other band come to think of it. I think a lot of people hate them for the same reason there are a large number of people who hate Nirvana, because there's a lot of hype about the band and therefore people who don't enjoy them react to that.

I can see how all the tempo changes of math rock could grate on a lot of people. Personally I like music that jars me, but since the whole point is that it isn't easy to listen to I guess the fact that a lot of people dislike it means that it's doing its job.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Robbo

« Reply #358 on: 21 May 2005, 05:31 »

Saem thing goes with kvlt Black Metal, that near unlistenable sound is just another part of it. I dont think Math stuff jars me, or if it does, it's in a way I like to hear.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #359 on: 21 May 2005, 05:53 »

When a song throws time changes about in a good way it has me skipping around in my chair or dancing in a way that has my friend Chris telling me to 'stop being so mathy' and sticks a massive grin on my face. Hella are good for that. But the way it does that is that it's challenging my expectations and isn't giving me an easy ride. Grindcore, when it's done well, has much the same effect.
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #360 on: 21 May 2005, 05:53 »

I don't like math stuff really myself at all. I love a bit of grind though, and I eat ultra-kvlt BM for breakfast.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Robbo

« Reply #361 on: 21 May 2005, 06:00 »

Pack, ever tried listening to Spiral Architect? Not math but hella crazy tech stuff. I could see a lot of people hating it real bad.

Oh, and because the guy across from me has been playing them a lot lately...Gorillaz. No, just no.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #362 on: 21 May 2005, 06:10 »

No, but I've heard the name about. Firing up the old soulseek now.

Edit: Just got the song 'Spinning'. Musically this is good, but I'm really not liking this guys vocals.

Robbo

« Reply #363 on: 21 May 2005, 06:35 »

Hehe, if it's not Death/Black vocals people hate, it's Prog/Power stuff. Gotta respect the fact it's a bunch of Black Metal guys showing off their skills though.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #364 on: 21 May 2005, 06:46 »

Yeah, I just don't tend to like them, as well as a lot of guttural stuff. Cephalic Carnage are spoiled for me by the vocals as well. Shrieks, screams and 'normal' singing are what I tend to prefer, although guttural stuff usually sounds great if used in small amounts. Mind you, sometimes they grow on me. The first time I heard 'Among The Living' the singing bugged me but I got attuned to it after a while.

spizzletrunk

« Reply #365 on: 21 May 2005, 08:27 »

Quote from: KharBevNor

I guess it always just annoyed me that people put the band's image before the band's music.  That's rather true of most bands in, well, the whole damn universe, but something about the Sex Pistols always annoyed me intensely.

Math rock is kind of stupid, but as long as a song's good I momentarily forget that there are a bunch of fuckwads calling it "math rock."  ;)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up