THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 00:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Musicians/bands you have an irrational hatred of  (Read 91401 times)

muffy

• Asleep in the boner patch
Musicians/bands you have an irrational hatred of
« Reply #50 on: 15 Apr 2005, 15:16 »

Of course it has no point, but we need to sprea the hate! And besides, if we focus it on bands we're (likely) never going to meet, it saves us from being bitchy to each other...at least, that's my skewed logic.

Quote from: zekterellium
i can't stand kasabian, the bravery, or any of these awful new order rip-offs popping up all over the place all of a sudden. .

Dude, I'd forgotten quite how much I despised Kasabian. One of the most soul-suckingly boring gigs I've ever been to. See, they have this one song, which goes like 'ah aha ahhhhhhaaaaaaah', which is quite good. Then they have the one that goes 'naaaaahaaaa ahhhh ahhh' which is less good, andd then they have the one which goes 'aaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaahnyuuuuugh', which is pretty bad. And the rest all sound like that. So I hate them, rather passionately. And, the fact they use 'fag' as an insult and think Oasis are good makes them ain to demons in my eyes.

And Khar - I agree with much of your list, but I feel I'm on my own when I say I will defend 80s Matchbox to the hilt, solely on the grounds that they're nice people and Psychosis Safari was  an immense tune...

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #51 on: 15 Apr 2005, 15:18 »

I don't think I'd have any real specific objection to 80MBBLD if this one guy at school didn't keep putting on this one album of theirs. Over and over and over.

I also think their songs sound pretty samey tbh.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

muffy

« Reply #52 on: 15 Apr 2005, 15:27 »

No, that's pretty fair, I'm fully aware that my bias is entirely personal, and if I'm totally honest, the first time I saw them live, they sucked ass. But they've improved since then, and as one of them was down the pub with us tonight, I feel the need to defend the honour!

Also, Laura - I share your hatred of The Others. I saw them live, and between every other song, Dominic Masters was virtually pleading with the audience to buy the album because it was bombing so badly...and they're guitairist is Brighton's biggest scenester twat. Ever. He looks like Jo Brand, too, which clearly doesn't help..

LightThievesAll

• Obscure cultural reference
    • http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~ajohnsto
« Reply #53 on: 15 Apr 2005, 15:50 »

Quote from: a pack of wolves
One Life Crew make me a lot madder though. Bad and dodgy politics... urgh.

What's that Charles Bronson song?  "One Life Crew Goes on Slimfast" I think.  I've actually never heard that band, although I've heard Pitboss 2000, who weren't bad, but weren't particulary good either.

I fucking despise, DESPISE, Dave Matthews Band.  I cannot tolerate it, even a little.  I'll tolerate bands I dislike, there are a lot of them, but DMB makes me want to crush, kill and destroy.

Generally, I don't like much of anything that's on the radio (classic rock excluded).  Beyond that, I love music, all forms of it, and I'll listen to anything once, so I can't generalize too much.  I won't lie though, a lot of indie rock I don't find enjoyable, and yes, I realize that's a terrible thing to say in this forum.

Oh, one generalization, Rock Against Communism (racist rock).  This extends, naturally, to NSBM.  Fuck Varg Vikernes.  Suprisingly many of the bands (RAC and NSBM) are quite musically adept, but I can't listen to or support that crap.
Everybody needs to believe in something.  I believe I'll have another beer.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #54 on: 15 Apr 2005, 16:23 »

I have made a pledge never to actually buy an NSBM album. But some Burzum is really tempting. The fact that they're now distributed by a Resistance record subsidiary holds me back, but some of the early records are just so 'effing good...I really did pass Burzum up because of VV's politics until I bought 'Fenriz Presents: The Best of Old School BM'. I was just listening to it casually and 'Ea, Lord of the Deeps' came on and simply blew me away. If I ever do succumb to temptation it'll be the version of the self titled that comes with the Aske EP, and nothing else. Burzum never actually pushes a neo-nazi message in anything but the most stupendously obscure of ways anyway.

Plus, there are some fucking good Burzum shirts. Theodore Kittelsen is a brilliant artist, but people will think I'm a nazi! Maybe I should buy one just to wear under my jacket covered in anti-nazi badges...Irony eh wot?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

blindsuperhero

« Reply #55 on: 15 Apr 2005, 17:32 »

The Doors. Meaningless stoner pseudo-poetic bollocks.
All "emo" bands in the Dashboard/Brand New/Taking Back Sunday vein. Mainly because of the people who think it's something other than soulless, unoriginal guitar pop with crap lyrics and bad fashion sense.
All NME-touted new-fangled rock-n-roll bands, except The Strokes because they're quite good. I haven't actually listened to a lot of those bands, but all the ones i have heard I've hated. Scratchy-guitared indie fashionista disco nonsense.
Dullard indie boy bands. Athelete, Starsailor, Keane. Coldplay are okay because they write some good songs and don't make me feel sick.
Crappy third-wave ska bands, because they detract from the public perception of all the fucking awesome third-wave ska bands. I can't really name many, but I mainly blame Reel Big Fish for most of them.
Oh, and anything that KharBevNor listens to.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #56 on: 15 Apr 2005, 18:30 »

Quote from: blindsuperhero

Oh, and anything that KharBevNor listens to.

Did I do something to you in a former life? o.o

pip_helix

« Reply #57 on: 15 Apr 2005, 19:23 »

Quote from: Signum_Tenebrae

Dashboard Confessional

there's nothing irrational about hating dashboard confessional.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #58 on: 15 Apr 2005, 20:55 »

Quote from: LightThievesAll
One Life Crew make me a lot madder though. Bad and dodgy politics... urgh.

What's that Charles Bronson song?  "One Life Crew Goes on Slimfast" I think.  I've actually never heard that band, although I've heard Pitboss 2000, who weren't bad, but weren't particulary good either.

That's the one. Man I love the Bronson, they make me wish I was still a bit chunky so I could fit into their t-shirt. They had so much wonderful hate within  them.

Pearl Jam. One of the most boring bands of all time. Possibly even more boring than recent Hatebreed, or AFI. Now that's an achievement.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

yipjumpmusic

« Reply #59 on: 15 Apr 2005, 21:17 »

Isis...fell asleep standing up watching them once...literally...I don't know, I think I just did not like the singer himself...something about him...or other factors but that's all I remember then...and when Mogwai played I was wide awake...

k, so not exactly hate but something bugs me about them just not sure what

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #60 on: 15 Apr 2005, 21:40 »

Jet.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

yipjumpmusic

« Reply #61 on: 15 Apr 2005, 22:06 »

Nothing irrational about that.

Patatat

« Reply #62 on: 15 Apr 2005, 22:11 »

Throwdown-You guys fucking suck...I am sorry when all you can think of lyricaly wise is "Throw your hands in the air, Dance the Fuck Up, Drug Free" or "For Myself, For My Family, For My Friends, Forever...STRAIGHT FUCKIN EDGE" you just fuckin blow

Taking Back Sunday
Thursday
Good Charlotte
Simple Plan
Morbid Angel
Cradle Of Filth
All Death Metal
All Pop Punk
Most of Emo.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #63 on: 15 Apr 2005, 22:15 »

For the record, I'd like to state that my hatred of Morrissey is not irrational.  He's a whiney, mopey tosser - why wouldn't I hate him?

LightThievesAll

« Reply #64 on: 15 Apr 2005, 22:35 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Well, most bands that sing about 'their edge' or about veganism or w/e piss me off. I don't mind bands who are straight edge as much as straight edge bands.

Carcass are vegan, do they piss you off?  Cos, man, they're fucking Carcass.  "Arbeit Macht Fleisch" is one of my theme songs.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #65 on: 15 Apr 2005, 23:04 »

Quote from: LightThievesAll

Carcass are vegan, do they piss you off?  Cos, man, they're fucking Carcass.  "Arbeit Macht Fleisch" is one of my theme songs.

Totally different thing, really. I love Carcass, and Cattle Decapitation. That kind of nihilistic self-disgusting veganism is a totally different kettle of fish to, say, Earth Crisis.

japaneasy

« Reply #66 on: 16 Apr 2005, 00:04 »

Haha this is bad...  The first part of my list is gonna get run out of the forum, I know, hehe.  Ok here goes:

For the longest time I couldn't STAND The Flaming Lips.  I have since revised my opinion of them and am actually starting to dig them, but for years I HATED them.  
The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The White Stripes, 99% of all bands with 'The' as the first word in their name that came out in the last 5-10 years...
Beck
Dave Matthews
Radiohead
REM
Smashing Pumpkins
Phish
Anything Metal
Most of anything MTV will play
Pink Floyd
Cypress Hill
Moby
Oasis

Can't think of any more off the top of my head, but there's more.  It should be noted that I'm actually starting to get into the 'Indie' music stuff, thanks in large part to QC/this forum.

Robbo

« Reply #67 on: 16 Apr 2005, 03:22 »

I fully blame Korn, Slipknot and every no longer Metal sellout band for making people not like Metal. And then I'm glad of it.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #68 on: 16 Apr 2005, 06:22 »

Radiohead is probably my biggest hate, next to all the obvious choice (Sum 41/Blink 182/Korn/Slipknot/etc) That aren't worht mentioning.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

loyalpeon

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #69 on: 16 Apr 2005, 07:09 »

my list goes as such:

most hip-hop/rnb - it's such a soulless fucking scene i have no idea how anyone in their right minds could listen to it - though granted it alright to dance to, albeit rarely... also, strangely enough i'm a fan of rap music (at least any rap music that goes a little further than 'i've got more hoes than you, fuck you, etc)

"Dullard indie boy bands. Athelete, Starsailor, Keane" - yeah - can't stand them either - but i do like coldplay (in moderation)

Death metal - well, thing is, i don't mind them musically (i like metal in general), it's just the two factors that really put me off, a) that high-pitched-whiny-screaming-modulated voice that seems to define the genre, and b) the whole white makeup-death tinged obsession...

um... yeah, that'a bout it i guess. i'm sure i'm missing something, but that's the general idea
So I gave the cookies you made to Fawn and the kids, and they couldn't believe it. They were delicious. But I digress... Tremble, puny Earthlings! One day my race will destroy you all!

Robbo

« Reply #70 on: 16 Apr 2005, 07:13 »

Uhmmmm, Death Metal has nothing to do with Corpse Paint and all Death vox should be low gutteral growls.

Must be thinking of Black Metal.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #71 on: 16 Apr 2005, 07:32 »

I've heard Coldplay very aptly described as "bed-wetter's music."

Robbo

« Reply #72 on: 16 Apr 2005, 07:35 »

I'm noting that down for future use.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #73 on: 16 Apr 2005, 07:46 »

I believe they were described thus by a British reviewer - not sure who, though.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #74 on: 16 Apr 2005, 07:50 »

Quote from: loyalpeon

that high-pitched-whiny-screaming-modulated voice that seems to define the genre

Death Metal isn't the one with the high pitched whiny screaming (I hate that too, so.) Death metal tends to have a much darker, deeper voice.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #75 on: 16 Apr 2005, 07:54 »

That voice doesn't feature a lot of black metal either actually.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #76 on: 16 Apr 2005, 07:57 »

Whenever I think of the high pitched voices the genres "Hardcore" and "Screamo" come to mind. In other news, what the hell kind of name for a genre is Screamo?

Robbo

« Reply #77 on: 16 Apr 2005, 08:00 »

It something that wants to sound hard even thougn it's Emo.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #78 on: 16 Apr 2005, 08:09 »

Emo:

"Boo hoo!"

Screamo:

"WAAH WAAH!"

Hardcore:

"GRRR GRRR"

Mathcore:

"kijKFPOSFPOJhwshfsjfhosfHEIHBADGERSTORM"

Akbar

« Reply #79 on: 16 Apr 2005, 08:26 »

Three Of A Kind (the members should all be shot twice. Once for Babycakes, then once more for the accompanying music video)

Hoobastank.

3 Doors Down.

Etc.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #80 on: 16 Apr 2005, 17:24 »

Fond memory from my radio-listening days - this joke was reportedly told off-air by Bob Geldof to two of the D.J.s on Triple-J here in Australia:

Q: You have Sting, Rod Stewart, and Bryan Adams in a room, and a gun with two bullets.  Who do you shoot?

A: Bryan Adams, twice.

Signum_Tenebrae

« Reply #81 on: 18 Apr 2005, 15:15 »

I have made a pledge never to actually buy an NSBM album. But some Burzum is really tempting. The fact that they're now distributed by a Resistance record subsidiary holds me back, but some of the early records are just so 'effing good...I really did pass Burzum up because of VV's politics until I bought 'Fenriz Presents: The Best of Old School BM'. I was just listening to it casually and 'Ea, Lord of the Deeps' came on and simply blew me away. If I ever do succumb to temptation it'll be the version of the self titled that comes with the Aske EP, and nothing else. Burzum never actually pushes a neo-nazi message in anything but the most stupendously obscure of ways anyway.

Plus, there are some fucking good Burzum shirts. Theodore Kittelsen is a brilliant artist, but people will think I'm a nazi! Maybe I should buy one just to wear under my jacket covered in anti-nazi badges...Irony eh wot?

NSBM is actually some of my favorite music.  Nokturnal Mortum, Gontyna Kry, Graveland, Kataxu, Ohtar, Veles, Kristallnacht. . good stuff.  I don't really consider Burzum NS because he doesn't really express these ideas in his music.

Now, I'm not a Nazi, though I am fascinated with them, and sometimes it's funny to joke about being a Nazi and piss people off.  But when it comes down to it, I don't hate anybody because of their race.  In fact my fellow bandmember is Chinese, his parents came over from Hong Kong, and he speaks fluent Cantonese, and for a while we also had a drummer who was Mexican.  Doesn't give me a lot of room to be racist before you guys start accusing me of such because I like racist music.

I just think it's possible to listen to and appreciate a certain type of music without whole-heartedly agreeing with their message.  I listen to bands that praise Satan over and over and over but I'm honestly not a Satanist.  I don't even believe in Satan.  (though I certainly am very anti-Christian, but that's not the same thing)  Music is about art, and you don't have to agree with everything an artist thinks to appreciate his or her work.  Hell, my bassist Wallace (the Chinese guy) loves NSBM.

In fact, I think the racist ideals serve a positive purpose in the music.  Black metal was always about struggle and conflict.  Black metal is not a genre of music based around "fairness" or "accept everybody."  Such ideas are a very Christian way of thinking, which is the polar opposite of black metal ideology.  Let me emphasize again at this point I myself am not racist, though I do understand a racist viewpoint and can appreciate the art that comes from it.  

Anyways, a lot of NSBM has a really epic feel to it such as Nokturnal Mortum, Gontyna Kry, and Graveland, which are my favorite NS bands.  

KharBevNor, I know you like Ancient Rites so you should check out Nokturnal Mortum. . try getting ahold of Weltanschaaung, Goat Horns, or NeChrist.  All three are amazing.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #82 on: 18 Apr 2005, 15:20 »

I wouldn't say acceptance of everybody was much of a christian ideal. It's a fairly judgemental religion, like most are.

But you're right that listening to Nazi/racist music doesn't mean you hold those ideals yourself. I find it interesting that someone will get attacked for listening to NSBM but if another person was to mention reading TS Eliot or Ezra Pound they wouldn't bat an eyelid.
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

blindsuperhero

« Reply #83 on: 18 Apr 2005, 15:21 »

Quote from: Signum_Tenebrae
sometimes it's funny to joke about being a Nazi

No, not really.

Robbo

« Reply #84 on: 18 Apr 2005, 15:27 »

Ahh, so rare to read something decent about NSBM. And of cours, as it's been said, just because you listen to those views, doesn't mean you hold them yourself.

mooface

« Reply #85 on: 18 Apr 2005, 17:53 »

Does Hillary Duff count?

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #86 on: 18 Apr 2005, 17:54 »

No.  It is not irrational to hate Hilary Duff.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #87 on: 18 Apr 2005, 17:56 »

Emo:

"Boo hoo!"

Screamo:

"WAAH WAAH!"

Hardcore:

"GRRR GRRR"

Mathcore:

Death/Black/Most metal:

"GRHOHHHHHHHH"

Garage rock a la the Vines:

"Huhn no na whuh huh"

Heh, that's fun.

mooface

« Reply #88 on: 18 Apr 2005, 18:07 »

Quote from: Inlander
No.  It is not irrational to hate Hilary Duff.

Very true...

Well then I suppose I can't post here because I don't think I'm capable of irrationally hating anything, heh.

static_cult

« Reply #89 on: 18 Apr 2005, 18:35 »

i... used to like taking back sunday... as recently as a month ago.

i still have a t-shirt. i'm too lazy to get rid of it.

*weeps quietly*

....any band that has ever taken a picture of all the members sitting around looking disinterested, with at least one member wearing converse.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #90 on: 18 Apr 2005, 18:57 »

That pisses me off too, especially since it's like, 87% of purevolume, but that's not irrational.

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #91 on: 18 Apr 2005, 19:59 »

I haven't really listened to some of the named bands enough to truely hate them.  But I do hate one in particular, Rush.  I think it all started when I heard "If you chose not to decided you still have made a choice."  I remember slamming my head into the dashboard yelling "No Fuck."  It's so painfully obvious, and that's why no one thinks about it.
Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #92 on: 18 Apr 2005, 21:10 »

Quote from: Johnny C

Death/Black/Most metal:

"GRHOHHHHHHHH"

Garage rock a la the Vines:

"Huhn no na whuh huh"

Heh, that's fun.

70's Punk:

"FUCKFUCKBOLLOCKSFUCK!!"

Post-punk:

*sigh*

Goth rock:

"eeeuggggghhhh..."

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #93 on: 18 Apr 2005, 21:21 »

Emo:

"Boo hoo!"

Screamo:

"WAAH WAAH!"

Hardcore:

"GRRR GRRR"

Mathcore:

Hahahaha, thats gold. I hate hardcore and math rock bands. So much. So many times have i been forced to go with my friend to these types of shows. If she wasnt cool, I'd kill her.
God. I hate country too. But most sane people do, so no surprise there.
I like the way you work it.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #94 on: 18 Apr 2005, 21:43 »

Post-punk:

*sigh*

You forgot: *sudden, soaring, climactic vocal*

muffy

« Reply #95 on: 19 Apr 2005, 03:29 »

Another description I heard -

Punk is - 'I fucked your mother. Deal with it'.
Emo is - 'I fucked your mother. Why won't she call me back?'

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #96 on: 19 Apr 2005, 06:49 »

eminfuckingem

It's like a marriage of emo and gangsta corporate rap. Two wrongs do NOT make a right.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

marc1785

« Reply #97 on: 19 Apr 2005, 07:18 »

I dislike that I cant listen to my dood old indie music no more on campus without some ECB sorority girls coming up and saying "OMG THATS LIKE TOTALLY MY FAVORITE SONG IN THE WHOLE WORLD"'

And I'd say Nickleback too but thats not irrational, I have very good reasons for that

LightThievesAll

« Reply #98 on: 20 Apr 2005, 10:50 »

I wouldn't say acceptance of everybody was much of a christian ideal. It's a fairly judgemental religion, like most are.

But you're right that listening to Nazi/racist music doesn't mean you hold those ideals yourself. I find it interesting that someone will get attacked for listening to NSBM but if another person was to mention reading TS Eliot or Ezra Pound they wouldn't bat an eyelid.

Alright, I admit it, I like the Skrewdriver album "Hail the New Dawn."  It's good, and they were still a punk band when they made it.  And I like Arresting Officers.  And Skullhead.  However, I still do not support RAC or NSBM as genres, although I agree that people can listen to whatever the hell the wish.  I really don't care.  When you have a shaved head like I do, you gotta be careful admitting to shit like that because you've already been judged.

Funny, I've been accused a Nazi many times, but never once a Communist, despite my love of Brigada Flores Magon.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #99 on: 20 Apr 2005, 17:31 »

That whole skinhead = racist thing is so fucking dumb it's ridiculous. It always seems like Antifa et al have more skins than morons like the BNP. It amazes me that people will still judge you like that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up