- 10 (58.8%)
Not my cup of tea.
- 4 (23.5%)
Never heard of it until just now.
- 3 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: 15 Apr 2005, 08:28

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guild Wars... Who's in? (Official Thread)  (Read 13631 times)

Sideways

Guild Wars... Who's in? (Official Thread)
« on: 15 Apr 2005, 08:28 »

*EDITED*

So far we have two people interested in forming a QC Clan.

-Myself
-A Sturge

So far the only idea for a clan name is "Questionable Crusaders"... we can come up with something better, right?

PM ME to be added to the list of people interested in getting in on this clan

Note: it doesn't HAVE to be a QC themed clan... and if there isn't enough interest from QCers, it'd probably be best to steer away from that idea.

ASturge

« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2005, 10:08 »

i was in the massive free weekend

it was awesome, im definatly gettin this one

daviesmatt

« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2005, 10:50 »

I want to play it, but my pathetic 28kbps dialup doesn't. It'd probably make the modem explode.

Sideways

« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2005, 10:56 »

Yeah, you need to get yourself some Cable or DSL my friend.

Most ISPs offer broadband internet for only a few $ more per month than their regular dial-up... because most ISPs are trying to get away from dial-up almost completely.

I run a split DSL connection (through a router for myself and my roommate) and I stil manage a steady 210kbps, which is more than adequate for any online gaming.

daviesmatt

« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2005, 11:34 »

Yeah, but my dad gets dial up free with work, and ADSL out here is ridiculously overpriced. 200 riyals (£30) a month for 256kpbs, whereas back in the UK I had 512 kbps for 20 quid.

Sideways

« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2005, 13:04 »

Wow.

I pay $80 (CDN) a month... and that covers:

-Cell Phone with 400 'any time' minutes and unlimited evenings/weekends (10 message storage on voice-mail, caller ID, call waiting, call forwarding)
-Home Phone (caller ID, call waiting, call forwarding)
-DSL

daviesmatt

« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2005, 14:24 »

You dick.

Fuck you, and your low-priced high-speed internet connection!

Sideways

« Reply #7 on: 15 Apr 2005, 14:27 »

Dick?

No No... If I wanted to be a dick, I'd tell you that I work a job that allows me to post on this forum all day long, while making $35/hr, and my only bills are the aforementioned $80 a month, and $325 in rent.

$4,000.00 a month, AFTER taxes, and my total bills are just over 10% of that.

If I had a girlfriend... she'd be FUCKING SPOILED!

ASturge

« Reply #8 on: 15 Apr 2005, 14:29 »

you dick.

i spent my pocket money on a decemberist album

KID

« Reply #9 on: 15 Apr 2005, 22:19 »

you dick.

my computer won't support a game as advanced as Guild Wars so I'm stuck posting worthless messages in forums that no one reads anyways

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #10 on: 15 Apr 2005, 22:29 »

You dick.

Form that description, I think it sounds like Phantasy Star Online, actually.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

nihilist

« Reply #11 on: 16 Apr 2005, 08:06 »

I actually pre-ordered this game last July.  Granted, it was originally supposed to come out in November of 2004...  So said EB.  Bastards, making me wait!  The horrible problem is that I'm just about to get into Jade Empire.  Gah!

Plumbum

« Reply #12 on: 16 Apr 2005, 16:43 »

I played the weekend short beta last year.

I am never playing that again. I was very buggy being an early beta but the buggy graphic wasn't the worst thing. I saw no PvP, lots of ugly weapons, armors, characterclasses and character models. The skills didn't even do anything and you could unlearn them. "I bet I can learn to speak proper spanish if I forget how to ride a bike". The enemies weren't very challenging and everything was concentrated around fighting and doing boring quests.

No monthly cost is a good idea for an MMORPG, but no one would pay more than once for Guild Wars.

I could be wrong, they could have erased the whole game and made a new one with same name :D

Sideways

« Reply #13 on: 21 Apr 2005, 08:21 »

Quote from: Plumbum
I played the weekend short beta last year.

I am never playing that again. I was very buggy being an early beta but the buggy graphic wasn't the worst thing. I saw no PvP, lots of ugly weapons, armors, characterclasses and character models. The skills didn't even do anything and you could unlearn them. "I bet I can learn to speak proper spanish if I forget how to ride a bike". The enemies weren't very challenging and everything was concentrated around fighting and doing boring quests.

No monthly cost is a good idea for an MMORPG, but no one would pay more than once for Guild Wars.

I could be wrong, they could have erased the whole game and made a new one with same name :D

Based on your description, I think they may have erased the whole game.

From what I've read in other forums, the bugs were worked-out, the graphics are spectacular, the skill system is excellent (learning as many skills as you want within your two chosen classes, then bringing a set amount into each mission) and there is PVP, both 1 v. 1, group v. group and guild v. guild... in massive outdoor arenas.

The only common complaint I've heard is the low level cap (around 20, if I'm not mistaken).

Who wants to form a guild?!

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #14 on: 22 Apr 2005, 04:09 »

Low level cap? Low level caps are great. If I find a job you can count me in.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Sideways

« Reply #15 on: 22 Apr 2005, 07:52 »

Don't bother finding a job, just find $50.

Free to play, no monthly fees.  :)

(probably will need a job for internet costs and such though... oh, and food... food is important).

ASturge

« Reply #16 on: 23 Apr 2005, 08:28 »

we should definatly form a QC-Clan.......holy shit....

ALLITERATION!

'QC-Clan'

ElRodente

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • unf unf unf
    • doodleblog
« Reply #17 on: 23 Apr 2005, 12:03 »

i was in on the open beta, i think istill am, it's cool, but i hit the level/story limit
if i had a better pc id play it yeah
Oh no, he was fine... and now he's poorly from too much electric

Sideways

« Reply #18 on: 25 Apr 2005, 09:30 »

Anyone interested in being in a QC clan, send me a PM, and we'll turn this tread into the 'official' something-or-other.

My char is going to be a necro/something (maybe mesmer... I don't yet know)... but his name will definately be 'Tuatha de Denand' (Gaelic meaning; from the other side / he who is from beyond ).

A QC Clan should have nomenclature suited for the 'QC' abbreviation... like 'Quest Campers' or something... something less stupid.  :P

Hmmm.... _________ Crusaders.

Questionable Crusaders?

Questing Crusaders?

I dunno... I'm no good with thinking of names.

Sideways

« Reply #19 on: 27 Apr 2005, 10:01 »

It goes live at 12:01:00hrs PST... so that's a little over 13 hours from now.  If anyone pre-ordered a copy through any major game retailer, they should be in now (I got my copy yesterday, and got to stare at the pretty menu screen after installing it).

Since I wasn't able to generate much interest here, I'll probably start a clan through my own website/comic... so if there are other people interested in joining a clan, and want to check out what AO has going, send me a PM, and we'll trade in-game info.

ASturge

« Reply #20 on: 28 Apr 2005, 10:29 »

damn my lack of money

ill be on board the minute i can afford the game (im student)

2 weeks probably >_<

loyalpeon

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #21 on: 30 Apr 2005, 16:06 »

I just ordered it.. but I probably won't be on board for like three weeks or so - not much time till then
So I gave the cookies you made to Fawn and the kids, and they couldn't believe it. They were delicious. But I digress... Tremble, puny Earthlings! One day my race will destroy you all!

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #22 on: 01 May 2005, 14:05 »

I'm not even done Half-Life 2 yet.

I'm sad, I know.

Otherwise, I'd be all up ons this.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Baalzebub

« Reply #23 on: 01 May 2005, 15:15 »

I feel your pain on Half-Life 2, I still havent completed it either.

Yet this game actually looks rather good, snuck out of nowhere for me. I'd happily join in with a guild, just have to get my hands on a copy and get my broadband working again.

Xanius

« Reply #24 on: 02 May 2005, 07:56 »

I dunno! Gah...like 4 friends want me to play WoW, and I can't really argue with hot girls >.<.....but guildwars looks fun...but I don't want to play it until I have tested it out. I never got into any of the beta weekends or anything.

ASturge

« Reply #25 on: 02 May 2005, 10:41 »

Guildwars is free!

FREE

exliontamer

« Reply #26 on: 02 May 2005, 15:54 »

I was thinking about trying out Guild Wars. I want to play a good online RPG but from what I've seen of WoW it majorly sucks my ass. Its too focused on power leveling and all that boring bullshit. Give me the good old days of Ultima Online any day, back when MMOs were about the social aspect. Guild Wars seems like a unique concept and you can't argue with a $50 one time price tag. Also Tycho over at PA seems to think its alright and those guys tend to have similar taste to my own.

If someone from the QC forums would write up a really convincing review maybe I'd be more inclined to buy it. Some of my questions include: How is the guild system working out? Does it have high enough replay value/is there enough variety in the types of quests? How customizable are the characters really? How social is the game...or is it just grunt...hack...slash...grunt? Ummm, thats about it. Word.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #27 on: 02 May 2005, 18:08 »

Quote from: ASturge
FREEDOM

*is sad he can't afford the game period*
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

tangen

« Reply #28 on: 02 May 2005, 21:25 »

circuit city is selling it for 39.99

fyi

Sideways

« Reply #29 on: 03 May 2005, 11:05 »

Requested Review:

I have a lvl 10 Necro/Ranger, and a lvl 8 Warrior/Monk... with a total of about 30 hours invested in the game so far.

There is a relatively steep learning-curve on this one.  The controls are solid, the graphics are some of the best I've ever seen, and the quest system is fantastic!

In-Depth review (beware, minor spoilers)

When you create a character you choose a primary class, your height, face, hair colour, skin colour etc.  The character-creation is NOWHERE near as intricate as City of Heroes, but you can still create a fairly unique looking character.

Once you have created your character you enter into the realm of Ascalon, with it's rolling hills, lush forests and scattered villages.  Town/Village zones are the only areas that are 'Massively Multiplayer'.  Each Town/Village zone has anywhere from 1 - 40 people in it at a time.  These zones are split into 'districts' to lessen lag.  There are tens of thousands of people playing this game, to have all of them standing around in Ascalon City would be insane, so when you walk into Ascalon City (for example) you enter into a 'district' of the City itself.  There can be upwards of 60 or 70 districts going at once.  If you want to meet a friend, you just have to agree on a district to meet in, and changing districts is painless.

The 'world' areas are all instanced.  If you venture out into the world on your own, with a team, or with NPC henchmen it is all yours.  You will not encounter other teams/PCs in the world areas.  This eliminates griefing, and aids in smooth gameplay.

The area of Ascalon, where you begin your quest, is basically a giant tutorial.  You can spend hours and hours exploring every nook and cranny, taking side quests, gaining items which you can salvage, use or sell.

Secondary profession.  When you are ready, and wish to take on a secondary profession, you need only seek out a trainer in that profession.  For example; you play a Mesmer, and you have a lot of support abilities, but would like to have some range, and a pet, so you take a Ranger secondary.  To do this, visit a Ranger, any ranger, and do their quest.  They will provide you with basic ranger abilities, and when you have completed the quest, speak to them again to choose that profession permanently.  If you aren't certain that Ranger is the right fit for you, tell that trainer that you aren't interested for now, and visit any other trainer (Warrior, Monk, Necro, Elementalist, etc) to do their quest, and get a taste for how their profession works with your primary.

After touring around with the professions, if you decide that Ranger was the best fit after all, you need only visit that same original trainer again, and commit to that secondary profession.  You don't have to redo the quests, just let the trainer know that you're ready to go with that set.

Crafting.  Crafting is the only way to upgrade your armor, and is the BEST way to upgrade your weapons.  When fighting out in the world areas, you will pick up weapons, artifacts, and 'salvage items'.  Salvage items include, but aren't limited to;

Half-eaten masses
Named gear dropped from different humanoid foes
Insect/Undead limbs/carapaces

These 'salvage items' are designed specifically to be salvaged.  You purchase a 'salvage kit' or an 'expert salvage kit' and use it on any 'salvage item' in order to get the base material of that item.  Most weaponry (Axes, swords, hammers, knives) will salvage - for example - into 'Iron Ingot'.  Many pieces of gear (Grawl Gear, Shaman Gear, Fire Caller Gear, etc) and some items (worn belts, patches of skin) can be salvaged to produce 'tanned hides'.

Visiting a craftsman, with the proper materials, is the only way to get new armor.  Armor (for your use) never drops in the world areas.  For example; You play a Necro, and you want to upgrade your armor.  You see that the craftsman can make you some Necromancer Gear with boneshards, and a little cash... or you can get even better gear such as the 'Bonelace' set if you have tanned hides, boneshards and cash.  The amount of Tanned Hides or Boneshards varies depending on what type of Armor you want crafted.  More is required (8 of each I think) for the torso armor, and less for the leggings, etc.

Later on in the game you will encounter Weapons crafters.  This system works the same way, allowing you to craft better weaponry for your character.

Types of item-drops:

When an item drops, it will appear as one of the following;

White - Basic item.
Blue - Unidentified/Special item.
Purple - Very rare item.

These classifications apply to all items, even salvage gear.  If you have an unidentified item, identifying it can produce some interesting results.  For example;

Unidentified short sword

Possible Identifications:
-Attack +10% (self-explanitory)
-Highly Salvageable (Using a salvage kit on this item will give you 5 - 10 Iron Ingot, rather than the basic 1 or 2)
-Precious (significantly higher sell value)

Salvaging a Purple (very rare) item will always produce more of the base salvage material... it's basically the equivalent to salvaging an item that is listed as 'highly salvageable'.  Most of the time you will not be salvaging Purple items... you will either be using them, or selling them for excellent cash.

Another frequent drop in the world areas; Dye.  There are different colours of Dye, each having a certain level of rarity or commonality.  Colours are;

Yellow
Orange
Red
Blue
Green
Silver
Black

Dye is used for exactly what you think... dying the colour of your gear.  My Necro is in a guild that has a Blue and White cape.  Since my Necro has white hair, I saved up and purchased blue dye... so now his entire outfit is blue to match the cape... and it looks sharp!

Guilds & Social aspects:

The way Guilds work is pretty basic.  You spend 2 Platinum (2000 Gold) to register a guild.  In order to get a Guild Cape, the guild also has to spend a certain amount of money.  You can also acquire a Guild Hall... however I do not know how this is done, as the guild that my Necro is in does not yet have one.  I have never seen one, but would like to.

The guild system works the same way as in any other game.  It's a large group of people who all wear the same cape, sometimes they employ the use of a custom 'tag' with their names, and they group together for PVP matches, and random quests.  It's nothing groundbreaking.

Social Aspects.  Most of your time, in-game, will be spent with only a few people.  Early in the game your max group size is 4.  As you progress through the primary quests you are able to take more and more people.  Grouping is very similar to any other MMO... ensure you have damage and support, and ensure communication amongst your team.  One vital communication tool for the team is the map, since you can draw anything on the map for the rest of your team to see (directions, waypoints, etc).  So far the people I have encountered have been friendly, but most people seem intent on selling and chatting... and it can often be difficult to find people interested in forming a team.  This is unfortunate, but I expect it will change as more and more people start to play the game.

Finally; Primary Quest.

As stated above, the 'beginning area' is a lot like a Tutorial, albeit a MASSIVE one.  You could spend your first 10 levels in the first area, easily... that says a lot considering the lvl 20 cap.  However, when you're ready to advance the story, or simply sick of the starter area, you enter into the primary quest.  This involves forming a team of 4, and proving yourself in a PVP match vs. another team of 4.  Win or Lose you are thrust into a mission with Prince Rurik (one of the main characters in the game).  When you complete this mission, the REAL game begins.

The Searing.

The Charr, a mysterious animal-like race from the North, call upon their ancient gods to wreak havoc on Ascalon, almost completely destroying it.  You will get a chance to see the impressive in-game cinematic which explains all of this.

Fast-Forward 2 years.  You find yourself in Ascalon, or what's left of it.  The formerly lush countryside is now a barren, charred, post-apocalyptic nightmare.  And now the area available to explore is at LEAST 10 times the size of the tutorial area.  The map is daunting... and I suspect most of the game will be spent merely exploring this fucking huge world.  There are dozens of 'city zones' where you can train, join groups, socialize and get quests, scattered all throughout Old Ascalon and beyond.  Travel between these city zones is as easy as a click on the map (although it boots you out of your group when you do this, which can be a pain).

That's about all I can think of, and I'm probably going over the post limit as it is.  If anyone has specific questions about the game that I haven't covered here, post them, and I'll use my limited (remember, steep learning curve) knowledge to see if I can help.

ASturge

« Reply #30 on: 03 May 2005, 13:18 »

I want

This game

So bad

Sideways

« Reply #31 on: 03 May 2005, 15:01 »

Then get off

your ass

and buy it!

:)

FreshJive787

• Furry furrier
« Reply #32 on: 03 May 2005, 20:35 »

i have the uber sex of computers, but no money. ill go get it when i have the chance bud

ASturge

« Reply #33 on: 04 May 2005, 09:22 »

i will have enough in a magical 3 days

^_^_^_^_^_^

*is a happy wee bunny*

Trav

« Reply #34 on: 04 May 2005, 21:02 »

I got it yesterday =) and so far, so good.

I've spent most of my time using those premade pvp characters to get a hang of the game controls and stuff (i like to throw my self in the deep end). But now i have a lvl 3 Vampire (Necro/War).

If a QC guild does form, i want in =)!

/dance is the best thing about Guild Wars *mosh*

kikanjuuneko

« Reply #35 on: 05 May 2005, 13:55 »

Oh, by the way, I am interested in forming a guild. I bought the game yesterday, and I'm getting my ass kicked now due to a lack of party. I was going to join my friend, but he's in the Kansas City Hotsteppers (yes, it is a Penny Arcade forum guild) and they're full.

And you're wrong. Try /airguitar. :)

ElRodente

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • unf unf unf
    • doodleblog
« Reply #36 on: 05 May 2005, 14:02 »

i was in the open beta
and im well up for buying it, when i have the money

i'd join a QC guild :)
Oh no, he was fine... and now he's poorly from too much electric

Sideways

« Reply #37 on: 09 May 2005, 07:30 »

Ok, everyone interested in being part of a QC Guild, post your character's name here please, so I can add it to my 'friends' list.

Over the next few days, I will be working towards the 2000 gold marker, at which time I will start the clan.

The only reason I'm taking it upon myself to do this is because I posted the idea originally, and I have a lvl 12 (nearly 13) RP character... so money is coming in a bit more freely now.

If any of you want to contribute to the guild-purchase, that's fine, but don't feel obligated.

Now; Guild name.

What do we want to be called?

nihilist

« Reply #38 on: 09 May 2005, 08:41 »

Durr.  Part of another guild already; prior obligations.  Jeph and I were in a clan back in the day called WSBW, and the clan is now playing GW.  Feel free to join us, there are only four of us, and it's all about the fun.

Even if there are two guilds, we can at least party together.  :)

Sideways

« Reply #39 on: 09 May 2005, 09:13 »

Quote from: nihilist
Durr.  Part of another guild already; prior obligations.  Jeph and I were in a clan back in the day called WSBW, and the clan is now playing GW.  Feel free to join us, there are only four of us, and it's all about the fun.

Even if there are two guilds, we can at least party together.  :)

I have no problem joining a guild that has people actively playing.

I'll be on, tonight, as Jaden Denand... what is your character name?  I'll look you up for an invite, if that's cool...

nihilist

« Reply #40 on: 09 May 2005, 09:15 »

I play as Nihilist The Mad (I've already friended you), but the Guild leader is Muhr Dhoom.

And oh god my farts are killing me.

kikanjuuneko

« Reply #41 on: 09 May 2005, 09:56 »

I think Questionable Crusaders is a good name.

Ciriel Swiftblade. I might be on the low for the next few days, but I'll try to get some playtime in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up