THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 08:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: song writing tips?  (Read 4385 times)

mookers

song writing tips?
« on: 15 Apr 2005, 18:57 »

girlfriend's birthday is next weekend and i thought i'd write her a song.

i'd play the bass and my friend'll acoustic guitar. cept i've never attempted to write an at all serious song, even though i think she'd prefer something silly and satirical..

meh i dunno, i just have to do the lyrics and my guitar buddy said he'd write the music, cause he does that.

so any tips at all for this kind of thing would be appreciated.

she likes stuff like McSweeney's and the Onion, music like Metric and Cursive and Pavement.

i assume there are a few musicians on here, so anything you guys might want to contribute, any experience, and you will have indirectly made love to me. thank you.

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
song writing tips?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2005, 18:58 »

Hmmm, the best I can offer is just write what you feel. If you feel the need to copy a certain style play their songs while you write.
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
song writing tips?
« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2005, 19:33 »

Don't try to be too elaborate with the lyrics - for serious songs, generally simple lyrics work best in my (listening) experience.  And whatever you do, NEVER force a rhyme - better not to rhyme at all, than to have something nonsensical (listen to any number of Neil Finn's songs - especially "Better Be Home Soon" - to hear just how good a song can sound without rhyme).

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
song writing tips?
« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2005, 19:42 »

And then for contrast, listen to any of Mick Jagger's lyrical tripe. At the very least his latest shit.
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.
Pages: [1]   Go Up