THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: explaining straightedge  (Read 43698 times)

24_hour_revenge_therapy

explaining straightedge
« Reply #100 on: 17 Apr 2005, 12:55 »

alright, that's it.  look, i was simply trying, in a friendly way, to explain straightedge to some people who may not have understood it.  most of you got that, and have been friendly.  to the rest of you, well, it's sad that you can't seem to just accept people for their values.  and i'm not talking about the hardline straightedge kids who try and force their opinions down your throat.  i'm talking about kids like me, who are edge, and proud, but more than happy to live their lives and let you live yours.  grow up.

again, to most everyone else, you were very nice.  it's just a few people who ruined it for me.  but, then, this is the internet.  not sure why i thought having an intelligent, respectful conversation was possible in the first place.  oh well.

consider this thread dead.  i'm done with it.  move on.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
explaining straightedge
« Reply #101 on: 17 Apr 2005, 16:23 »

Aw, sorry about the lack of acceptance dude.

I know it's hard being straightedge, and I admire people who are, as long as they aren't blatantly knocking my beer out of my hand. Keep doign what you're doing and don't let anyone tell you it's stupid.
I like the way you work it.

muffy

• Asleep in the boner patch
explaining straightedge
« Reply #102 on: 17 Apr 2005, 17:08 »

^ Seconded...
Also, don't fear any more abuse,  I think the board's gone back to mocking emo kiddies again ;)

johnnylaw

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
    • http://www.instantmessinger.net
explaining straightedge
« Reply #103 on: 17 Apr 2005, 17:09 »

I used to be straightedge (five years) until I realized that it's really not much more than a fraternity without the drinking and sex.

Fraternity - Indentified by three (or two) letters.  Comprised of testosterone fueled alpha-males shotgunning cheap beer and doling out wedgies to campus math nerds.

Straightedge - Indentified by three letters.  Comprised of testosterone fueled alpha-males doing windmills in the pit and doling out wedgies to the smoking, drinking, meat eating nerds.

If you can do it without the macho-male posturing, more power to you.

ps.  Sorry, I don't have an X watch anymore...
"I never take any notice of what common people say, and I never interfere with what charming people do."

thehoopiestfrood

explaining straightedge
« Reply #104 on: 17 Apr 2005, 17:18 »

All generalising ever is stupid. ;) Or something to that effect.

Just do what you feel right and don't give other people grief for what they're doing (within reason of course - stabbing and general nastyness excluded). It goes both ways and there's just no need for it.

fin

explaining straightedge
« Reply #105 on: 17 Apr 2005, 18:51 »

Quote from: 24_hour_revenge_therapy
i usually liken it to buddism.  not that they really have anything in common.

damn that got me thinking. while i dabbled with the idea of being sXe for an entire ten minutes, i considered buddism, even if somehwhat shallowly for a good while longer (before i ever knew what straight edge was).

i can see were you are coming from, in that budhism and straightedge are similar although very different. from what little i know about budhism i think it is a far more personal voyage than the group mentaily of sxe and therefore, unlike being straight edge it is something which you youreself belive in and inculde yourself in, whereas being straight edge is defined by the vaules of the group being a buddist is defined by the values of the  individaul's beliefs. IMO this is a very important distinction.

usual unimformed and drunken disclamiers apply. my interprtetation of budhism may be slightly or very shiny and blinkered. correct me.

Patatat

explaining straightedge
« Reply #106 on: 17 Apr 2005, 19:25 »

Why isn't this thread dead yet...

Its pretty obvious it sucks.

nickyandthefuture

• Curry sauce
    • http://www.bigorangecrayon.com
explaining straightedge
« Reply #107 on: 17 Apr 2005, 19:42 »

Quote from: fin
from what little i know about budhism i think it is a far more personal voyage

Shouldn't that be impersonal voyage? ;)

Man, I read this thread, but I still don't understand what straight edge actually means.  I mean, I don't do any of the stuff that straight edge people explicitly don't do, but when you define a culture purely in negative terms, it's either completely open to interpretation or the whole thing is just a euphemism for some cliquishness that nobody wants to actually point out.  My grandpa doesn't smoke crack; is he straight edge?
Blue or plain?
Sometimes orange.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
explaining straightedge
« Reply #108 on: 17 Apr 2005, 20:17 »

Quote from: Patatat
Why isn't this thread dead yet...

Its pretty obvious it sucks.

Agreed.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up