THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 23:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: If only, if only...  (Read 13385 times)

eepedeep

If only, if only...
« on: 16 Apr 2005, 13:29 »

What band do you wish you liked but really can't stand?

me: The Doors

czar0406

If only, if only...
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2005, 13:33 »

not to sound rude but why would i like a band if i couldn't stand them to begin with?

zekterellium

If only, if only...
« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2005, 13:40 »

muse. i can even TELL they're a great band but i just can't get it. they're talented musicians, really they are but... blah. considering how much everyone else likes them, it really is a shame.

Robbo

If only, if only...
« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2005, 13:40 »

Because you know they're a good band or you think they're something you should like. Just something clicks the wrong way with you.

It's a common question.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
If only, if only...
« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2005, 15:14 »

Led Zeppelin.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Druid

If only, if only...
« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2005, 15:17 »

Zwan.

What the hell happened there? Billy Corgan, Matt Sweeny, David Pajo, Jimmy Chamberlain, Paz Lechtin. I love four out of the five's other bands, but they managed one good song, "Honestly".

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
If only, if only...
« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2005, 15:23 »

Dillinger Escape Plan. Just so my best mate would stop bugging me about how 'I don't get it'.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
If only, if only...
« Reply #7 on: 16 Apr 2005, 17:18 »

There are no bands that I wish I liked but don't.  If that happened, it would ruin my feeling of smug superiority.

Jarne

If only, if only...
« Reply #8 on: 16 Apr 2005, 20:15 »

The Arcade Fire.
They look great, the music is great and everyone tells me how great they are. I just can't listen to them.

Tago Mago

• Larger than most fish
If only, if only...
« Reply #9 on: 16 Apr 2005, 20:20 »

Public Image Ltd. I live for post-punk, but Second Edition just doesn't do anything for me.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
If only, if only...
« Reply #10 on: 16 Apr 2005, 20:22 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Dillinger Escape Plan. Just so my best mate would stop bugging me about how 'I don't get it'.

There's an even better way to stop that. Kill Him. I mean, at least that way you're not listening to Dillinger Escape Plan.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

muffy

• Asleep in the boner patch
If only, if only...
« Reply #11 on: 16 Apr 2005, 20:25 »

Quote from: Jarne
The Arcade Fire.
They look great, the music is great and everyone tells me how great they are. I just can't listen to them.

I disagree with you totally as I love them, but...
YOU HAVE THE COOLEST AVATAR EVER.

Just thought I should mention that.

Burninated Peasant

If only, if only...
« Reply #12 on: 16 Apr 2005, 20:28 »

The fact that the vast majority of people, regardless of particular musical tastes, will claim The Beatles were one of the greatest bands ever in the history of the world has always turned me off of them. I've always felt that they were a ridiculously over-hyped band. I like several of their songs, but I don't see the big deal. And I LOVE music. I wish I felt differently, but I can't shake the feeling that people claim The Beatles are great simply because they're told to think that wherever they turn. This feeling makes it difficult to be objective long enough to give their catalogue a fair, unbiased listen.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
If only, if only...
« Reply #13 on: 16 Apr 2005, 20:36 »

I was never too big on the Beatles either. Or The Rolling Stones. Or much of anything that came from Britain, for that matter.

Burninated Peasant

If only, if only...
« Reply #14 on: 16 Apr 2005, 20:41 »

Heh. Maybe Zappa fans just understand music better than everyone else. :)

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
If only, if only...
« Reply #15 on: 16 Apr 2005, 20:45 »

The Sex Pistols & more 80's punk. Some is really good, but a lot of it I just cant stand. I hate the Pistols so much.

I also wished I liked math rock. But its so bad.
I like the way you work it.

El Opium

If only, if only...
« Reply #16 on: 16 Apr 2005, 22:22 »

I finally got Neu's first album and it was no were near as good as I anticipated. Tago Mago, which version of Second Edition do you have? I've heard all of the CD versions have crappy mastering though the UK version is supposedly better than the US one. My copy is on vinyl and I couldn't listen to Jah Wobble's bass playing any other way, digital would just compress it all wrong.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
If only, if only...
« Reply #17 on: 17 Apr 2005, 00:34 »

Quote from: Kai
Led Zeppelin.

I agree. I can't understand all the kids who rave about them being the best band ever. I mean, I see the fun of "Immigrant Song" and "Black Dog," but the rest of it just comes across as pretentious, overwrought tripe with a really good guitarist thrown in.

Neu makes me sad with how much I don't like them. Same with Depeche Mode and a lot of emo bands that my friends try to get me to like.

And NIN. I just can't like it for some reason.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

muffy

If only, if only...
« Reply #18 on: 17 Apr 2005, 01:30 »

Pavement. And Belle and Sebastian.

I know I should, as every indie kid I know would crawl through crushed glass for a chance to speak to stuart murdoch/stephen malkmus, but I THINK THEY'RE REALLY BORING.

This is probably the worst kind of heresy ever, and is backed up by the fact that when I encountered Struart Murdoch, I found him to be a bit of a pretensious arse, but there we go.

Jarne

If only, if only...
« Reply #19 on: 17 Apr 2005, 07:58 »

Quote from: muffy
The Arcade Fire.

I'm not saying they're bad or anything, it's the opposite. I just can't listen to them for some reason.
As for the avatar, thank you, but it seems to have vanished.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
If only, if only...
« Reply #20 on: 17 Apr 2005, 08:11 »

One band I've tried to get into and just can't is Stars. I can't stand it. I keep hearing these good things about them and then I lsiten to them and I'm bored with them.

Banana_Hammock

If only, if only...
« Reply #21 on: 17 Apr 2005, 08:26 »

Pink Floyd

I've even bought a few albums by them but I can't bring myself to like them as much as I feel I should...

Hector Gilbert

If only, if only...
« Reply #22 on: 17 Apr 2005, 08:30 »

I love many of the albums/bands mentioned above but I feel that it would be missing the point to really get into that.  Top of the list of my "I don't get it" experiences:

Frank Zappa - Hot Rats - The idea that people can shake their head at virtuoso wank from Malmsteen and Vai yet love this confuses me.
The Go! Team - Thunder Lightning Strike - Fun?  Listening to pointless dance music isn't my idea of having fun.  Struck me as being rather dull, too.
John Zorn - Naked City - The noisy bits are nothing that I didn't hear delivered with more panache on Napalm Death's Scum, and the rest of it is made up of ultra-cheesy compositions and attempts to ruin great songs.

Hector Gilbert

If only, if only...
« Reply #23 on: 17 Apr 2005, 08:31 »

I love many of the albums/bands mentioned above but I feel that it would be missing the point to really get into that.  Top of the list of my "I don't get it" experiences:

Frank Zappa - Hot Rats - The idea that people can shake their head at virtuoso wank from Malmsteen and Vai yet love this confuses me.
The Go! Team - Thunder Lightning Strike - Fun?  Listening to pointless dance music isn't my idea of having fun.  Struck me as being rather dull, too.
John Zorn - Naked City - The noisy bits are nothing that I didn't hear delivered with more panache on Napalm Death's Scum, and the rest of it is made up of ultra-cheesy compositions and attempts to ruin great songs.

ASturge

If only, if only...
« Reply #24 on: 17 Apr 2005, 08:31 »

Gah! double Post of doom!

Quote from: Kai
One band I've tried to get into and just can't is Stars. I can't stand it. I keep hearing these good things about them and then I lsiten to them and I'm bored with them.

i love Stars...

anyways, i cant get into "Pink Floyd"
despite what anyone says, they are just a shit band.

Robbo

If only, if only...
« Reply #25 on: 17 Apr 2005, 08:41 »

Quote from: Hector Gilbert

That's the reason why Zorn is described as Napalm Death playing Jazz. I think it's some of the Avant Jazz and anti-snob music around. And the reason why I want to hear JazzGrind bands.

eepedeep

If only, if only...
« Reply #26 on: 17 Apr 2005, 08:48 »

Yes ditto on the "i don'test get Pink Floyd, Belle & Sebastian, and The Rolling Stones" cept I don't even wanna think about what kinda person i'd be if I liked the Rolling Stones **shudder**

Hector Gilbert

If only, if only...
« Reply #27 on: 17 Apr 2005, 09:00 »

Quote from: Robbo
Quote from: Hector Gilbert

That's the reason why Zorn is described as Napalm Death playing Jazz. I think it's some of the Avant Jazz and anti-snob music around. And the reason why I want to hear JazzGrind bands.

Meh, I still don't see why I should see it as having anything past the novelty value though.  Where's the statement?  I expected this guy to be a composer.

Robbo

If only, if only...
« Reply #28 on: 17 Apr 2005, 09:08 »

Well, that's no the focus of his solo and Naked City stuff as far as I'm aware. Those are for his chaotic turn on a dime Jazz. I think he's done some film and modern classical stuff. Not arsed to look right now.

As for why, because it's good music, but it feels more focused towards Metal fans and such fans. Who seem ignored by Jazz even though it's one of the key stones.

Or whatever, I still dont see why I should see anything in Indie.

Hector Gilbert

If only, if only...
« Reply #29 on: 17 Apr 2005, 09:16 »

Quote from: Robbo
Well, that's no the focus of his solo and Naked City stuff as far as I'm aware. Those are for his chaotic turn on a dime Jazz. I think he's done some film and modern classical stuff. Not arsed to look right now.

As for why, because it's good music, but it feels more focused towards Metal fans and such fans. Who seem ignored by Jazz even though it's one of the key stones.

Or whatever, I still dont see why I should see anything in Indie.

I am a metal fan too, and a jazz fan in a more vague sense (haven't bought many jazz albums yet).  That said I must admit that I haven't heard any of his other albums so I'll keep my eyes peeled for his "modern classical" work.

As for indie music, for me it depends on where one looks.  There is a lot of "indie pop" music around these days that just has the one static beat and self-indulgent vocals.  I'm not into that kind of thing I must admit.

Robbo

If only, if only...
« Reply #30 on: 17 Apr 2005, 09:19 »

At some point I'll read though the stuff on him again and tell you if I actually read "modern classical" connected to his music. The information on his work certainly isn't the clearist in the world.

I dont mean Indie Pop because that's just Pop music, just actual Indie. I've know a few Indie kids and I've never heard 5 seconds of Indie music I thought was worth it.

But then Indie goes against many of the things I look for in music so it's no shock.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
If only, if only...
« Reply #31 on: 17 Apr 2005, 09:25 »

Quote from: eepedeep
Yes ditto on the "i don'test get Pink Floyd, Belle & Sebastian, and The Rolling Stones" cept I don't even wanna think about what kinda person i'd be if I liked the Rolling Stones **shudder**

You'd be a normal person ._o

The music police are MOST interested in this thread!
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

muffy

If only, if only...
« Reply #32 on: 17 Apr 2005, 09:38 »

Psssh...I've been on the music police's 'most wanted' lists for YEARS now, and they still haven't got me...

ASturge

If only, if only...
« Reply #33 on: 17 Apr 2005, 09:45 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Quote from: eepedeep

You'd be a normal person ._o

The music police are MOST interested in this thread!

you'll not catch me!!!!

Akward Silence and I are leading a revolution!
One day we'll have you strapped to a wall naked!
And you know what we're going to do>!>!>?
we're going to pay Mandimoo to rape you and your whole fucking regime!

Burninated Peasant

If only, if only...
« Reply #34 on: 17 Apr 2005, 09:57 »

While I liked Naked City, it would definitely be a mistake to judge him as a composer based on just that one album. I'd recommend another album, but my memory is gettin' bad in my advanced years :), so I can't think of an appropriate one off the top of my head. I want to say Locus Zolus, but I can't even remember what's on that album.

As for Hot Rats... as you may note from my sig, dissing Zappa is akin to an act of war. :) Although I have to say I don't know anyone who would dismiss the talents of Malmsteen and Vai in comparison to this. Heck, Vai got his start with Zappa (an influence that is strongly evident in his early solo work). Also, this is Zappa working in a different genre. Hot Rats was released in the same year as Bitches Brew, and they are the first jazz-rock (or fusion) albums. While Davis' album falls on the side of "jazz with a touch of rock," Rats is a little more rock than jazz. That said (and let me state for the record that I LURVE Bitches Brew), I find Hot Rats to be a more successful fusion-- the songs on the album are all definitely BOTH rock and jazz. Brew in comparison has a taste of rock thrown into it, but noone will mistake it for a rock album. It's still jazz. Killer fucking jazz, but jazz nonetheless.

Something to keep in mind is that no one album is representative of Zappa's style. He did jazz, rock, classical... you name it, he did it, and he did it well. His influence can be heard in all styles and genres of music.

I really don't want to go into this because I'll spend all day at the computer listing off points and examples, and when it all comes down to it, people like what they like. All I know is it's 22 degrees Celcius (72 for you silly non-metric Americans) outside right now and I'm getting the hell out there! You gotta enjoy the nice weather in Ottawa when you can, 'cause it won't last... :)

blooflame

Why would you wish you liked them?
« Reply #35 on: 17 Apr 2005, 17:34 »

I don't understand why someone would wish they liked a band that they didn't. The only reason I can think of would be because "everyone" likes them and you feel un-cool or excluded from the group - BUT no one is cool by being one of the herd animals; cool-ness comes from independence.

muffy

If only, if only...
« Reply #36 on: 17 Apr 2005, 17:43 »

true, but hipsters are not only pack animals, but hideously unpleasant with it. No one likes being at the receiving end of one of those 'You did not just say that...I'm no longer going to associate with you' looks.
It leads to total alienation and causes scene points to rocket into the minus scale. And let's face it, no-one wants to be excluded from a cool crowd of hipsters. After all, without coolness, what's left?

(please note sarcasm)

Psiogen

If only, if only...
« Reply #37 on: 17 Apr 2005, 18:01 »

Quote from: Burninated Peasant
I wish I felt differently, but I can't shake the feeling that people claim The Beatles are great simply because they're told to think that wherever they turn. This feeling makes it difficult to be objective long enough to give their catalogue a fair, unbiased listen.

I dunno about who has or hasn't been "told what to think" with regards to the Beatles...but no one had to tell me to like them when I was a kid (nor the Velvet Underground for that matter, another band that gets the same kind of accusations.) I just loved them because they made great music.

Two bands I don't like: Joy Division and Pavement. Aside from maybe one or two decent songs, I find both of them boring as fuck.

BehringerBoy

If only, if only...
« Reply #38 on: 18 Apr 2005, 05:37 »

pink floyd. everyone seems to like. i have heard some of their songs, and i i mean, another brick in the wall is ok, but whats the big deal?

led zeppelin pretensious? sad to think that way :(

AndSheeWas

If only, if only...
« Reply #39 on: 18 Apr 2005, 08:04 »

Quote from: Tago Mago
Public Image Ltd. I live for post-punk, but Second Edition just doesn't do anything for me.

That's a shame.

Me...Tom Tom Club.

Spencer

If only, if only...
« Reply #40 on: 18 Apr 2005, 08:07 »

Phish, The Grateful Dead, just about any Jam Band ever.

Incredibly talented musicians. Incredibly obnoxious music.

muffy

If only, if only...
« Reply #41 on: 18 Apr 2005, 12:49 »

Weird, after ranting about my terminal indifference to Pavement, the guy who I'm meant to be working with as my co music ed started today. We got onto the subject of Pavement, I said my piece, to which he looked utterly horrified and threatened to walk out...but only in jest. I hope. Else I'm gonna have a lot more work to do...

marc1785

If only, if only...
« Reply #42 on: 19 Apr 2005, 07:21 »

The Arcade Fire.

I'm not saying they're bad or anything, it's the opposite. I just can't listen to them for some reason.

totally with you on that one. Can't listen to them

ASturge

If only, if only...
« Reply #43 on: 19 Apr 2005, 07:28 »

Quote from: marc1785
The Arcade Fire.

totally with you on that one. Can't listen to them

lets make a magical quote tunnel!

jal-vani

If only, if only...
« Reply #44 on: 19 Apr 2005, 09:17 »

Live. they used to be good, waaaaaay back when, and I wish they still were, but ever since 'The Distance to Here' i've wanted to punch them.

Robbo

If only, if only...
« Reply #45 on: 19 Apr 2005, 09:19 »

Live....hmmm...I think I've heard the track "The Dolphins Cry"...hmmm, damn my Christian friends blasting music like that.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
If only, if only...
« Reply #46 on: 19 Apr 2005, 21:47 »

Karnivool. Everyone loves Karnivool (around here anyway). I honestly don't care.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

MrKneebone

If only, if only...
« Reply #47 on: 20 Apr 2005, 00:15 »

Live would be one of the more disapointing bands that I've seen play live.  They weren't bad exactly, just disapointing.   Why do they get the "christian" tag these days anyhow - are they an outwardly christian band or do they just have a big following?  

Anyhow, I digress...     I'd have to say that I really like Nick Cave, but for some reason, something distances me from him, and I kind of struggle to get all the way through an album.   I like my music moody and broody, and they should be right up my alley, but I just don't like them as much as it seems I should.

MrKneebone

If only, if only...
« Reply #48 on: 20 Apr 2005, 00:27 »

Quote from: blooflame
I don't understand why someone would wish they liked a band that they didn't. The only reason I can think of would be because "everyone" likes them and you feel un-cool or excluded from the group - BUT no one is cool by being one of the herd animals; cool-ness comes from independence.

for what it's worth, I think some people just started listing bands that they think are overrated, rather than ones that they would "like to like more".   It seems perfectly feasable to me that there are bands out there that seem to have ticks in all the right boxes when it comes to what you like, but something just doesn't gel.   Or from another angle - artists that you appreciate greatly, but don't exactly "like".

It has nothing to do with impressing people, or jumping on bandwagons.  I could list loads of them, and I don't feel the need to impress people with what I like and don't like.

Samgam Gamalan

If only, if only...
« Reply #49 on: 20 Apr 2005, 00:35 »

McTaggart, I know what you mean. I just listened to that "shutterspeed" song everyone is going on about, and i thought it was pretty lame. At least you now know it's not just you...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up