THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 05:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: indie goth  (Read 8376 times)

Damniel

indie goth
« on: 04 May 2005, 08:14 »

ok...so i'm new...bite me...i'm also from the UK...you know...the small island thingy east from new york...anywho...after reading through your comic i feel i need someone to explain your american musical values to me...the lines between indie and goth seem blurred...can someone please explain this to me...now i must fit into my british steroetype...where did i leave my pipe?...and where is my tea?...JEEVES!...WHERE IS MY TEA!

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
indie goth
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2005, 08:21 »

Indie: Dullness, tweeness, songs about spatulas and Neitzsche. Often some variation. Generally better than what's on the radio. See the Shins, the Flaming Lips, Iron and Wine etc.

Goth: Deep, haunting atmospheric music. Ranges in styles from techno to neo-classical. Some goth bands (Siouxsie and the Banshees for example) got pretty big in the eightries. Got mucked up with industrial and metal in the nineties. Some kick-ass bands at different ends of it include London After Midnight, E Nomine, XII.Stoleti, Inkubus Sukkubus, The Sisters of Mercy, Dead Can Dance, :wumpscut:, Bauhaus and Nosferatu.

Khar: Thinks goth is better than indie.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

sketchyjoe

• Balloon animal serial killer
indie goth
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2005, 08:41 »

The goths I know all listen to bad industrial music and The Cure.
Limber limp with a dry martini

Until....

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
indie goth
« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2005, 08:45 »

Don't they know the Alphabet of goth?

'O is for Only Teen-Goths listen to the Cure!'

Damned poseurs. I'm not even goth, and I'm the gothest person I know.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
indie goth
« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2005, 08:57 »

They're the equivalent of emo kids that listen to Brand New. My sister used to be a proper full-on goth, but the only bands I remember her liking are the Dreadful Shadows, the Cranes and the Horatii. That Horatii song about the island of zombie women was awesome. I haven't noticed the lines between indie and goth getting blurred in QC though.

On a tangent, kudos on the sig sketchyjoe.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Damniel

indie goth
« Reply #5 on: 04 May 2005, 08:58 »

right...thats oh so much clearer for me...anywho flaming lips kick ass...but so do joy division...ooh i am so torn

sketchyjoe

• Balloon animal serial killer
indie goth
« Reply #6 on: 04 May 2005, 08:59 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Damned poseurs.
They are.
Limber limp with a dry martini

Until....

Damniel

indie goth
« Reply #7 on: 04 May 2005, 09:06 »

yeah...likling morrisey and joy division over the pond (as it were) is definately indie...as are the flaming lips and mercury rev...but over there joy division seems gothy...it confuses me as if anything joy division...and then new order are more mainstream but also the godfathers of house...if you need proof listen to blue monday by new order

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
indie goth
« Reply #8 on: 04 May 2005, 09:10 »

Definitely my favourite goth group is Inkubus Sukkubus. I don't think you'll ever get much better than the song 'Vampire Punk Rockers From Hell'. Overblown vampire imagery and Sex Pistols references for teh win!

As for Joy Division and all that lot, they're more post-punk than goth...everything in that area tends to blur somewhat in the early eighties, but there's normally a consenus on most bands, though I've seen Bauhaus called post-punk often enough.

El Opium

Poor attempt at history lesson with dumb genre lessons.
« Reply #9 on: 04 May 2005, 09:27 »

I did end up writing what was looking like a small essay but heres the way I look at it.
-During the 80s stuff that might today be seen as indie or goth all fell under the alternative tag.
-Indie didn't become defined as a genre till the early 90s. 'Indie' bands were those who refused to buy into the alternative boom by signing to a major and trying to make accessible music. Pavement are the best known example.
-Around the same time goth ran out of steam and was further sunk by the rise of Marilyn Manson who people labled goth out of ignorance.
-It became very hard for any vaguely indie band to use dark electronic textures and not lose their cred.

I strongly suggest reading up on the output of the 4AD lable prior to 1990. Some bands I like who somewhat straddle the line between indie and goth:
The Comsat Angels
The Wolfgang Press (1988 and earlier)
The Chameleons

Khar had some pretty good sugestions for more purist goth.

Edit:
1) Cranes are pretty good.
2) The Jesus and Mary Chain were definately indie but they get called goth tinged a lot. Read the lyrics to their psycho-candy album.

rynne

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Hey, nice marmot!
indie goth
« Reply #10 on: 04 May 2005, 09:32 »

The Faint were definitely indie goth around Danse Macabre.  I mean, the title song is about going to a goth club, for goodness' sake.
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Re: Poor attempt at history lesson with dumb genre lessons.
« Reply #11 on: 04 May 2005, 09:44 »

Quote from: El Opium

-Around the same time goth ran out of steam and was further sunk by the rise of Marilyn Manson who people labled goth out of ignorance.

Man, arguments about MM are fun. But, most of that was based on dress, and Manson does dress pretty goth, especially if you're not keyed in to the vaguaries of the style...I mean, lets face it, line up your stereotypical goth, doomster, rivethead, kvlt kiddie, shock-rocker, mallcore and horrorpunk up in a row and ask the man in the street to pick out the goth, and I doubt they could.

blindsuperhero

Re: indie goth
« Reply #12 on: 04 May 2005, 10:56 »

Quote from: Damniel
i'm also from the UK...you know...the small island thingy east from new york

You know about half the people on this forum are from the UK

dako

indie goth
« Reply #13 on: 04 May 2005, 11:57 »

All the goth's I know listen to really good music, like The Birthday Party, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, and Bauhaus.

BehringerBoy

indie goth
« Reply #14 on: 04 May 2005, 12:22 »

what makes the Cure goth other than robert smith? i like them, anyway. I like indie too. thought it seems to me you can´t really point out what makes something indie. indie is not pop, i guess :)

mosfet

indie goth
« Reply #15 on: 04 May 2005, 12:46 »

in·die     P   Pronunciation Key  (nd)
n. Informal
One, such as a studio or producer, that is unaffiliated with a larger or more commercial organization.

Indie isn't one type of music.  Its a label given to groups regardless of genre.  You can have indie-goth, indie-rock, indie-hiphop even.

But don't forget J-Goth! :P
Moi Dix Mois

I personally switch back and forth between dark, moany stuff and industrial, or industrialish-electronica, a lot of it german, and some good dark metal, depending on my mood.

I'm personally extremely sad with the world our kids are growing up in where you buy "punk"/"goth"/"whatever-core" styled clothing and listen to the boy band known as Good Charlotte or new style R&B.  It just makes me feel dirtied like its a personal attack on my tired black heart. :(

My wifes been researching music for her novel and been looking up various genres.  And I've come to the conclusion that music of almost all genres have gone down hill for the last 20 years.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
indie goth
« Reply #16 on: 04 May 2005, 13:37 »

Quote from: mosfet

My wifes been researching music for her novel and been looking up various genres.  And I've come to the conclusion that music of almost all genres have gone down hill for the last 20 years.

It depends on your taste, and if, as you seem to, you have a similiar taste to me, it has. Or rather, the mainstream has: there are bands in all genres that are as good as those genres ever were at their mainstream peak. Sure, I'd have loved to have grown up in a time when Judas Priest contested the charts with Siouxsie and the Banshees as the face of scary teenage music, but there a whole load of really good stuff festering away in the underground.

Even if there are few things more glummifying than sitting at the back of a rock club watching yet another shitty local band pound out a 'The Used' cover and realise that absolutely no-one there has probably even heard of most of your favourite bands.

mosfet

indie goth
« Reply #17 on: 04 May 2005, 13:51 »

yeah.  you're right.  there are still some last bastions of hope, but theres definately a decline in the Country and R&B scene. :P

You mention Siouxie and that reminded me of something!  I went to a Front Line Assembly Concert one Halloween about 6 years ago in San Francisco with my wife and we saw them and Switchblade Symphony.  That was pretty good stuff.

Damniel

indie goth
« Reply #18 on: 04 May 2005, 13:52 »

any from all the explaining...i wish i never started this post...and british thing...again i wish i never started this post...does anyone else think robert smith looks like a panda?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
indie goth
« Reply #19 on: 04 May 2005, 13:58 »

You mention Siouxie and that reminded me of something!  I went to a Front Line Assembly Concert one Halloween about 6 years ago in San Francisco with my wife and we saw them and Switchblade Symphony.  That was pretty good stuff.

Very awesome.

You could say that SatB were the band that got me into goth. They're one of my mum's favourite bands, and one of the ones I liked the most in my 'parents vinyl plundering' stage of musical listening..

muffy

• Asleep in the boner patch
indie goth
« Reply #20 on: 04 May 2005, 14:52 »

Quote from: Damniel
...does anyone else think robert smith looks like a panda?

Possibly. Or possibly Jo Brand.

Burninated Peasant

indie goth
« Reply #21 on: 04 May 2005, 15:23 »

I saw that same tour but in Michigan. There it was Switchblade Symphony, Spahn Ranch, and FLA. I would have much preferred Siouxsie, but Spahn Ranch were okay. Ah, memories... my first moshing experience was to FLA at St. Andrew's Hall in Detroit. It's a wonder I'm still alive. :)

mosfet

indie goth
« Reply #22 on: 04 May 2005, 15:48 »

oh man.  Spahn Ranch sooo sucked at that one! :P

oh yeah.  and can't for get the band of Elves with the chick rubbing a toddler's toy phone on her guitar for feedback.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
indie goth
« Reply #23 on: 04 May 2005, 21:37 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
post-punk than goth

I get the two confused all the time. Damn them for being so similar and sharing a love for monochromatic colour schemes.

Also, what makes the Cure goth, I think, is their affinity for being depressing and also writing the occasional dirge. No, the more-than-occasional dirge.

I mean, I'm not an X-TREME GOTH LUV-AH, so correct me if I'm wrong.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo
Pages: [1]   Go Up