THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 10:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stop shutting down tab sites!  (Read 5347 times)

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
Stop shutting down tab sites!
« on: 16 Dec 2006, 16:59 »

A favourite bass tab site of mine, bassmasta.net, has been shut down by the law.  :police: Or maybe a lawsuit I don't know.

Now it just says: This guitar tablature file of Band name here - Song name here has been removed
due to legal reasons. We thank you for your support. Good luck figuring out this
song! We know you can do it!

God damnit. Why stop someone running a tab site? As if Im gonna look at the tab and then think "Haha fuck you guys I dont need to buy your CD now!!!"

There are other tab sites I know but why shut them down is my point.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
[/rant]
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Re: Stop shutting down tab sites!
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2006, 19:16 »

If you don't seriously know why, you are beyond help.

And on a separate note...use your ears, man.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2006, 19:55 »

I would if I could. :(
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2006, 20:22 »

Surely when you learn a tab, you are aware that you are playing in tune?

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2006, 21:57 »

Learn to read notes man, fuck tabs.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

alexalexalex

« Reply #5 on: 16 Dec 2006, 22:00 »

I will stop shutting down tab sites when teenagers stop playing Come As You Are!

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #6 on: 16 Dec 2006, 23:22 »

It is (or was) hilarious to go to a tab site and find out how many people sucked at figuring a shitty song by ear. There were so many Avenged Sevenfold and Creed tabs that not only existed but were also wildly inaccurate. It was a good self-esteem boost.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #7 on: 17 Dec 2006, 00:34 »

Ahh fuck. I really liked Bassmasta. I just do not have the musical ability to figure out a lot of Beatles songs by ear, and I mostly have my bass simply to sit around and play Paul McCartneys basslines.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #8 on: 17 Dec 2006, 00:37 »

They get shut down because those companies that produce the little books that tell you how to play songs can't possibly compete with a bunch of people on the net who aren't looking to make money.
Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #9 on: 17 Dec 2006, 00:42 »

But considering that barely any of the tabs are completely accurate, you'd think their market of people in shitty covers bands would have to pay for their books to get shit right.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #10 on: 17 Dec 2006, 01:13 »

Ahh fuck. I really liked Bassmasta. I just do not have the musical ability to figure out a lot of Beatles songs by ear, and I mostly have my bass simply to sit around and play Paul McCartneys basslines.

What? Are you serious?
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #11 on: 17 Dec 2006, 03:47 »

To be fair, Macca plays some tricky stuff occasionally. It's why he was so great. He also often overdubbed two separate basslines...

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #12 on: 17 Dec 2006, 07:35 »

When I saw the title of this thread, my gut reaction was to mutter "I didn't shut any tab sites down..."

Hunter

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #13 on: 17 Dec 2006, 11:35 »

Salvation is here!

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

(ok only a few bass tabs but still a good site)
Last night some one woke me up at 3 in the morning wearing a scary clown face and threatening me with a round of naked sit ups.

Rebourne

« Reply #14 on: 17 Dec 2006, 12:21 »

yeah ultimate guitar for new tabs...

and download the mysong book archive off a torrent site for older songs.

Yeah use your ears too...  That skill is invaluable in improvising situations...

Tabs are great for when you get tripped up and can't figure something out or don't have the time.

the_tard

« Reply #15 on: 17 Dec 2006, 12:30 »

I dunno, the accuracy is questionable in some of the books too. I just spent a decent amount of money on a Zeppelin book that was severely under par. I would trust anything i got off a tab site about as much as I trust that book. Personally I use www.guitaretab.com and although it doesn't always have what I'm looking for I would recommend it.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #16 on: 17 Dec 2006, 14:40 »

What? Are you serious?

I'm talking more about stuff like Taxman or Lady Madonna rather than Hard Days Night or something else.

But I can't seem to find any tabs that are shut down anyway, on closer inspection, although the thought that it had kind of inspired me to try and work out the bass part from the end of Miss Teen Wordpower.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: 17 Dec 2006, 17:09 »

Beatles songs really aren't that easy to figure out a lot of the time (the later ones at least). They're buried under thirty metric tonnes of Phil Spector and I swear to the fucking heavens Harrison started just making up chords at one point.

Also like to point out that people who, whenever tab sites are mentioned, say 'OLOLOL WORK IT OUT YOURSELFS' sound like they're talking from somewhere around the top of their large intestine. Some people have an awful ear, and some people, and this may be hard to understand, just really want to play along with their favourite songs on the guitar. It's pretty hard to play by ear and some people just don't want to put the effort in. Should they be penalised? Of course not. Should they be criticised? Only if they have some sort of pretension to guitar greatness. Otherwise, why not just let them bang away at a few old songs, even if someone accidentally transcribed an E minor as an E suspended fifth or what the fuck ever.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

TrueNeutral

« Reply #18 on: 17 Dec 2006, 17:58 »

See, I just play guitar as plainly a hobby. I don't want to go anywhere with it; I just want to play a few tunes every now and again to be less bored. Is it so wrong that I like to take the easy way for that?

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #19 on: 18 Dec 2006, 00:16 »

Tabs are good for beginning and recreational guitarists. As someone who takes his music seriously I would advise all others who feel the same way as I do about songwriting to learn how to play by ear. It helps an awful lot when you're in a band or jam to know what you're doing.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #20 on: 18 Dec 2006, 01:55 »

Tabs are good for beginning and recreational guitarists. As someone who takes his music seriously I would advise all others who feel the same way as I do about songwriting to learn how to play by ear. It helps an awful lot when you're in a band or jam to know what you're doing.

Agreed.

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #21 on: 18 Dec 2006, 02:22 »

Beatles songs really aren't that easy to figure out a lot of the time (the later ones at least). They're buried under thirty metric tonnes of Phil Spector and I swear to the fucking heavens Harrison started just making up chords at one point.

Also like to point out that people who, whenever tab sites are mentioned, say 'OLOLOL WORK IT OUT YOURSELFS' sound like they're talking from somewhere around the top of their large intestine. Some people have an awful ear, and some people, and this may be hard to understand, just really want to play along with their favourite songs on the guitar. It's pretty hard to play by ear and some people just don't want to put the effort in. Should they be penalised? Of course not. Should they be criticised? Only if they have some sort of pretension to guitar greatness. Otherwise, why not just let them bang away at a few old songs, even if someone accidentally transcribed an E minor as an E suspended fifth or what the fuck ever.

The man talks sense.
Pages: [1]   Go Up