THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 12:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Most Pretentious Band(s)  (Read 73626 times)

besmircher

Most Pretentious Band(s)
« Reply #100 on: 19 Apr 2005, 21:37 »

I'd say Morrissey is pretty pretentious, but he's able to convince us he's intelligent enough (in a self-deprecating and sour sort of way) to pull it off. Besides, he's somehow funny when he mopes. Also, Autechre, god love them.

This thread has made me realize that I like some pretentiousness in my music, as long as it's done by competent people. (What a pretentious thing to say, I know.)

Oh, and hi. I'm new-ish.

Robbo

Most Pretentious Band(s)
« Reply #101 on: 20 Apr 2005, 04:09 »

Morrissey just made really boring singer/songwriter music and every takes like it's great. Lyrics =/= music is I club I hit Bob Dylan fans with a lot.

InterstateEight

Most Pretentious Band(s)
« Reply #102 on: 20 Apr 2005, 16:56 »

The Locust. Just watch one of their videos if you need a reason.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Most Pretentious Band(s)
« Reply #103 on: 20 Apr 2005, 20:01 »

Zing!
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

loyalpeon

• Emoticontraindication
Most Pretentious Band(s)
« Reply #104 on: 20 Apr 2005, 20:59 »

Quote from: Robbo
Morrissey just made really boring singer/songwriter music and every takes like it's great. Lyrics =/= music is I club I hit Bob Dylan fans with a lot.

Sorry? ... i don't mean that in the sense that I'm outraged by what you said. Simply that I don't quite understand what you said...
So I gave the cookies you made to Fawn and the kids, and they couldn't believe it. They were delicious. But I digress... Tremble, puny Earthlings! One day my race will destroy you all!

besmircher

Most Pretentious Band(s)
« Reply #105 on: 20 Apr 2005, 22:54 »

Quote from: loyalpeon
Quote from: Robbo

Sorry? ... i don't mean that in the sense that I'm outraged by what you said. Simply that I don't quite understand what you said...

Same here. I think they meant that everybody takes it like it's great, but that's still an unusual enough way of phrasing things that I'm not sure.

coldcut

Most Pretentious Band(s)
« Reply #106 on: 20 Apr 2005, 23:31 »

Actually haven't paid much attention to Ryan Adams since he broke up Whiskeytown.  But even when he was with a band he was unbearable.  I'm almost glad Whiskeytown broke up just so the rest of the band members didn't have to deal with him anymore.

yggdrasil

Most Pretentious Band(s)
« Reply #107 on: 21 Apr 2005, 00:03 »

I dunno, I think Morrissey's songs are quite distinctive, and I really like the melodic angle he uses. He may just be a singer/songwriter, but as long as the songs he writes and sings are really good, I don't see the problem.

And I guess he is a bit pretentious, or at least arrogant... but he gets away with it by being really charming as well. Mmmm.

<hums> We hate it when our friends become successful...

Robbo

Most Pretentious Band(s)
« Reply #108 on: 21 Apr 2005, 03:53 »

No, it's just me making crappy typo filled posts and not checking them. Talks like, not takes like.

Next you're gonna say he uses emotional playing.

yggdrasil

Most Pretentious Band(s)
« Reply #109 on: 21 Apr 2005, 04:38 »

Eh? No to emotional playing, whatever that is, just good songs.

Robbo

Most Pretentious Band(s)
« Reply #110 on: 21 Apr 2005, 04:49 »

Eh, I think he's horribly dull and borring. Sunn O)))'s first album is more entertaining to me.

But anyway, that's neither here nor there.

yggdrasil

Most Pretentious Band(s)
« Reply #111 on: 21 Apr 2005, 04:54 »

Indeed.

Felix_

Re: Most Pretentious Band(s)
« Reply #112 on: 24 Oct 2006, 14:16 »

Anything that Mike Patton is associated with.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #113 on: 24 Oct 2006, 18:09 »

Did we.. uh

really need to bring a thread that has been dead for literally a year and a half for Mike Patton?
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #114 on: 24 Oct 2006, 18:35 »

Pretention is not necessarily a bad thing.

I realise this thread is a year and a half old and I may well have already replied, but I fancy ranting.

I think that the hundreds of thousands of people who bur Mars Volta and Sigur Ros albums would disagree with your 'who the hell actually likes this shit?' theory.

Personally, I love some pretension in my music. I love songs that go on way longer than is tasteful, for no good reason than the band is enjoying themselves. What are they supposed to reel in their enthusiasm for their own work to please you? I don't think so. Pretty much all of my favourite artists - Pink Floyd/any of them solo, Radiohead/Thom Yorke, The Mars Volta, etc. - have pretension in their work. They do whatever the fuck they want to do. If they don't like their own music, who else will?

Personally, I take that as an example. I like music with kitchen-sink production. I know I'm pretentious with my own music. My most recent track was eleven minutes long, the last minute and a half of which is a collage of feedback, piano and distorted keyboards. I know I'm pretentious as fuck, but who gives a fuck; I'm making music for myself, not for you.

In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #115 on: 24 Oct 2006, 19:28 »

Tommy, I'm glad this thread was resurrected so you could make that comment, because I think it's what I secretly wanted to believe. Hopefully you weren't being sarcastic.
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #116 on: 24 Oct 2006, 22:22 »

I got this idea from the Sparta thread below, and because I love the word.

My vote goes to the Mars Volta.  What's with the neo-prog?  Do you think people will actually like this crap?  And what's with the song names?  Can you actually come up with titles with words that 1) people know, and 2) make sense.  Just because you have afros does not give you entitlement to make this crappy music and think so highly of yourselves.

~~Willis

Their press released listed 'self-indulgent' as one of their good qualities.
Or maybe it was just being honest

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #117 on: 24 Oct 2006, 22:32 »

Oh, and Nick Cave. Not so much for his music as for his appearance in every doco or article about anyone cool and going on for paragraphs about them.
Love the guy to death. Love his wanky literary refs. But man, sometimes i just want to hear other people talk about Shane MacGowan or Leonard Cohen

SpacemanSpiff

« Reply #118 on: 24 Oct 2006, 23:32 »

While I agree with Tommy's statement, I will add one band:
North of America. Mostly because they said so in an interview, when asked about their "cryptic" lyrics. Apparently, they are not totally cryptic and intellectual but just dumb puns and fucking with language in general with no real meaning because they're "pretentious fucks".

This also qualifies as post-irony, which is the pretentious version of irony, intended for indie kids who can't use the original concept since it sold out at the end of the 70s.

Felix_

« Reply #119 on: 25 Oct 2006, 02:55 »

Did we.. uh

really need to bring a thread that has been dead for literally a year and a half for Mike Patton?

Yes.

I dislike Mike Patton that much.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #120 on: 25 Oct 2006, 03:09 »

Tommy has a very good point.

Also, what's wrong with Patton? Excuse me while I get my Mr. Bungle fix.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Felix_

« Reply #121 on: 25 Oct 2006, 03:27 »

Tommy has a very good point.

Also, what's wrong with Patton? Excuse me while I get my Mr. Bungle fix.

I've just never liked anything he was associated with, most of it was terribly overrated, and I really don't like how pretentious he is and how he somehow believes that every music project he's associated with his some trail-blazing new sound that will completely change the world. Mike Patton fanboy/girls annoy me as well usually.

Felix_

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #123 on: 25 Oct 2006, 06:16 »

no artist sets out to make something pretentious. thus, the idea that something is pretentious is in the eye of the beholder.

Wait wait wait. Surely intent has some part in shaping the overall result of art, but that is not the only criteria on which it should be judged. Maybe Frida Kahlo did not intend her art to come across as flat, but it certainly looks that way to me. I think it's important to understand that by saying that I in no way devalue her art. I am just describing an element of it which is immediately apparent.

Basically pretentiousness (EDIT) in the arts (EDIT) is two things. A short case study might then shed some light on it, and in this case we'll take Samuel Beckett.

One, pretentiousness can be seen as the idea of indulging oneself in art, committing gluttony with creation. An adaptation of Beckett's Endgame was staged in 1984 and came under attack from the artist himself, who declared that the lavish, post-nuclear subway design and casting choices were a misreading of his play. Sadly, Google and Wikipedia are rather vague on the subject, but I've seen some pictures and the set design was massive, epic, and utterly pointless in such a minimalist play. For such unneccessary ostentation, I'm willing to call designer JoAnne Akalaitis PRETENTIOUS.

Second, however, pretentiousness can be seen as taking oneself and one's art far more seriously than necessary. The actions of Beckett's estate speaks for itself, and his semi-notorious constant defense of his plays as written illustrates that he just couldn't stand other people taking what he wrote and presenting it as an artistic endeavour they had any part in. Unfortunately, in doing this he ignored one of the prime components of theatre, i.e. other people. Samuel Beckett gets the PRETENTIOUS crown for believing that his name transubstantiates his works into an untouchable realm.

I'm not saying that the production of Endgame was bad, nor am I stating that Beckett was a bad author. They're just both quite pretentious. Have I elucidated this point clearly enough?
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2006, 07:47 by Johnny C »

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #124 on: 25 Oct 2006, 07:38 »

What you are telling me is that in the definition of words subjectivity is tantamount. That negates your nigh-infamous arguments regarding the appropriation of the word emo.

For obvious reasons I contend that notion.

As well, I believe considering the research I did that I'd be entitled to a reason for that out-of-hand dismissal. The evidence has been presented, and pretending "I don't believe that" is a factual rebuttal to said evidence is akin to pretending that time-traveling magic is a factual rebuttal to "How on Earth would Santa have time to visit all those houses?"
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2006, 07:45 by Johnny C »

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #125 on: 25 Oct 2006, 16:56 »

Er
I'm a descriptiivst. If alot of people use a word, its a word. Thats how language works. Even if a few people use a word, its still a word. I can say 'neo-folk' or 'freak-folk' and there are people on this board who know what I mean... so those are words, even if they're bastard words.
Thats how English (and other languages) evolve- new words are coined, borrowed, stolen, changed. Hell, standardized spelling is a pretty recent thing

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #126 on: 25 Oct 2006, 17:15 »

Yes but it still describes a concept or a cluster of concepts. We can say "lets talk about kids who self-identify as depressed, listen to music with punk thats based on screamy vocals, and have hair with fringes over their eyes" and you can say "actually, they're not really a real movement. They're just labeled that way by the media" etc etc etc or we can use "emo" to stand for that whole cluster of concepts.
Even if you disagree with what the word means/should mean, the fact that people use it means its an object that can be debated.

You could argue that by using the word you are creating the concept attached to the word. This could be a valid argument. I need to dig out my old political language notes. Still, when we argue about 'emo' people have some idea of what we're arguing about - even if the meanings people attach to them are different. We can claim 'emo' is an essentially contested concept, like 'freedom' or 'torture', but we at least have something to argue around.

Valrus

• moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #127 on: 25 Oct 2006, 18:03 »

it's not the word, it's the connotations of the word that are bogus.

So which connotations? I guess it seems to me that my main beef is that people tend to use "pretentious" as if it were synonymous with "extravagant, and sucks," which is not the case.

I, like most people in this thread, would argue that The Mars Volta are extremely pretentious, just going by the definition of the word:

Quote from: the dictionary
attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed

where I guess the operative term is "importance." The Mars Volta seem to write music as if every single (often nonsensical, at least to the listener) lyric, flashy guitar solo, and minute of studio idling is just laden with significance and terrible meaning, but frankly it's hard to agree that their albums are that weighty. They write fifteen minute songs, but they often don't seem to have fifteen minutes worth of important stuff to say in them.

But I like The Mars Volta anyway, and I would argue that their pretention, while it certainly exists, does not negate the band's merits: a talent for writing ridiculously abstruse lyrics that still convey a strong sense of unease, undeniably proficient musicianship, a good use of dynamic swells and ebbs, and others.

So my question is, Tommy, is that an adequate use of "pretentious" for you? I don't mean to seem like I'm turning on you after my original post. I do agree with your comment that "pretentious," as used to describe music, seems to be primarily a weapon used by (as you said) anti-intellectuals who seem to believe that if musicians want to be taken seriously or have their music actually thought about, they're just overreaching and their music can be safely disregarded. That people who dislike The Fiery Furnaces call their music "pretentious" is ample evidence of that for me.

But The Mars Volta obviously put some thought into their music; I don't see how you could just toss off songs like the ones they write, however disorganized they may be. And so even though they may not be quite as profound as they seem to think, there is still meaning in what they do, and to dismiss that offhandedly by calling them "pretentious" is kind of intellectually lazy.

Not that I'm accusing anyone in this thread of doing this; I haven't read it that closely. I guess my main argument is two things: first, that pretention is a legitimate word with a real meaning and it can be used without perverting its denotative definition. Artists can pretend that they're more important or talented or cultured than they really are; their own opinion cannot be used as a yardstick to measure any of these things, however serious they may be. Second, that "pretention," when leveled as a criticism against art, does not automatically erase any merit the art has. Johnny C's descriptions work for me here. In the end, he said that neither of his examples were bad as art, but he nonetheless gave lucid descriptions of why they could be regarded as pretentious, which might detract from their effect.

SpacemanSpiff

« Reply #128 on: 25 Oct 2006, 18:52 »

i wasn't being sarcastic.

no artist sets out to make something pretentious. thus, the idea that something is pretentious is in the eye of the beholder. i dislike a lot of music but i don't feel the need to make up words to try to devalue it. if i created a concept which i call 'flargle' and decided it meant "created literally to annoy tommydski", would i be justified in saying coldplay are flargle? no i wouldn't because the band didn't set out to be flargle, i just decided they were from my own nefarious purposes. i'd say the were shit instead.
Oh, I understood that. I wasn't being sarcastic either, I just added North of America because their statement in the interview was aimed mostly at not having to explain their lyrics and poking fun at the whole pretentious-debate.

And I just typed a long paragraph about pretentiousness being in the eye of the beholder. Then I decided to read the last couple of posts as well. Turns out you already wrote that. Great.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #129 on: 25 Oct 2006, 19:27 »

I've got to disagree with the idea that there is no pretention.  Yes, the concept of pretention is anti-intellectual, but there's a degree at which that becomes a good thing.  Some people attempt to be important for the sake of being important, rather than having importance.  They experiment to such a degree that their experiments have no basis is extant theory, and as such are not progressive, but only inaccessible.  Also, they assume themselves to be outside of popular culture, the populace being interested only in that which does not innovate, and take pride in obscurity and shame from success.  (That is not the same as refusing to pander to the mainstream, but rather the conscious avoidance of the same.)  These two things comprise pretention.
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2006, 19:29 by Near Lurker »
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Maky

« Reply #130 on: 26 Oct 2006, 00:28 »

Also, they assume themselves to be outside of popular culture, the populace being interested only in that which does not innovate, and take pride in obscurity and shame from success.

This rings a bell. I'm a huge Opeth fan, and I can say that they are SO pretentious about their work (21 minute songs, 1693106 different riffs and tunes in the same track, extremely dense and metaphorical lyrics, intricated concepts, etc). But Hell, they can afford it. I remember watching an interview with Mikael ?kerfeldt (Opeth's singer and lead guitar player), and saying that for their first album they brought a lute in to play in a track. In his own words: "We played a lot of chess. I read poetry... I don't know what we were aiming at really..." He aknowledges himself that they were pretentious and that they still are. And they use that pretention in a way that lets them record a better album every time.

Pretentious in a way that doesn't work... DragonForce. Urgh. Puke. Regurgitation at its best. Honestly, their guitar players are insanely fast but _that's just it_. It's the 17 minutes solos where you don't even know what the hell they are playing, the stupid lyrics that try frantically to be epic, the singer who wants to reach stratospheric notes and just makes you cringe. They're just... manure.

Outshined

« Reply #131 on: 26 Oct 2006, 00:35 »

I do agree with your comment that "pretentious," as used to describe music, seems to be primarily a weapon used by (as you said) anti-intellectuals who seem to believe that if musicians want to be taken seriously or have their music actually thought about, they're just overreaching and their music can be safely disregarded.

I think Valrus has made a point about the recently evolved connotations of "pretentiousness" that I so dislike.  "Pretension" has recently become a trendy way to casually dismiss musical efforts without any real thought, a perversion of the original intent of the word.  It is as if any modern artist who wishes to say something sincere or intentellectually ambitious is automatically "taking things too seriously".  How serious, then, should our musicians take their own work?  Will we be satisfied when musicians play songs they are completely apathetic to, when emotion and passion is completely divorced from the act of making art?

That said, I really enjoyed the latest Mars Volta album.  Are they extremely pretentious in the legitimate "inflated self importance" definition?  Absolutely.  I can't help but laugh at their claims of "creating an entirely new genre of prog rock" (or something grandiose to that effect).  But, for me, that is outweighed by the enthusiam and passion with which they play and write their songs.  The lyrics are actually quite rewarding to me, in that their abstraction allows for leeway in interpretation.  I interpret Meccamptutechture, for example, as an impassioned statement against reliquaries and idolatry.

"Please dismantle these phantom limbs" ... "This is the evidence of human as ornament" ...  "It lacks a human pulse"  I think they are getting at the worship of saint's amputated limbs, often kept in arm-shaped reliquary art objects.  They imply that people are merely attracted to the ornamental, worshipping the rich material value of the gold-and-gem enscrusted objects at the expense of realizing that these were once real people, made of flesh and blood, that sacrificed themselves for the benefit of their faith. 

timehat

« Reply #132 on: 26 Oct 2006, 00:52 »

I think that Henry Cow and Area probably deserve recognition in this field. Both bands were very populist and leftist but played very dense music that drew from a large variety of styles. Although some of the stylistic elements of their music are very much rooted in popular music such as rock, jazz, or various folk musics, they both have a strong influences from 20th century classical and avant-garde jazz. Area went so far as to call themselves an "International POPular group" reflecting their desire to rock for the good of the people, but the fact is that their music likely went way over many heads and was largely unappreciated. That being said, I rank both bands very highly on my list of favorites.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #133 on: 26 Oct 2006, 01:16 »

second of all, i have some individual notions regarding the world. for example, i don't think just because a word is in the dictionary it deserves to be a word. common or popular usage does not make something correct. if a bunch of fuckwits use a word enough, it will eventually be accepted. that doesn't change the fact that it was born of fuckwittery. your argument that it 'must be a word because i can find lots of people using it' is akin to saying there must be a god because lots of people believe there is. that simply isn't the case.

You have to admit though, the word "Fuckwittery" really needs to be used enough to be considered a stable part of the modern language.

I was going to use the word "Lexicon", but I didn't want anyone to think I was pretentious

Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

soak

« Reply #134 on: 26 Oct 2006, 03:13 »

Coheed and Cambria - Pretentious and fucking crap.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #135 on: 26 Oct 2006, 03:20 »

i don't think there's such a thing.

i think it's a word invented by anti-intellectualists.

This is the quote which I directed the majority of the debating at. I agree that pretentiousness is a subjective thing but saying that something is subjective doesn't mean it's irrelevant, tommy. Regarding your example of the cute girl, I wouldn't argue that, because I don't think someone is cute, the word "cute" shouldn't exist, especially if it has a definition that a lot of people can agree on.

The "flargle" example is a bit of a jog in logic, because I'm going to go out on a limb and say that a lot of people would say that "something Tommy thinks is ridiculous" is best expressed as "something Tommy thinks is ridiculous." I'd also go so far as to say that a lot of people may also think it's ridiculous, and therefore express their feelings on the subject as "it's ridiculous." There is no necessity to have another word to describe this. With pretensiousness, however, the over-inflated self-importance is common enough to have a word to describe it.

I think a lot of artists take their work seriously, Outshined, myself among them. The opposite of pretentiousness, I would argue, isn't total apathy - the opposite would be an understanding of where one's importance really is. Besides, if "pretentious" is used as an absolute dismissal of work then it's being done by somebody who has no idea how to properly listen to music. I don't dismiss the last two Mars Volta records because they're pretentious, I dismiss them because I find the music on them to be tuneless and driveless, the opposites of which are what endeared me to their first album, and I'd love to elaborate on that but frankly hearing snippets of each new has given me enough indication that there are a lot of albums I would rather listen to the whole way through.

Coheed and Cambria's latest output appears to be making ostentatious, riffing music for the sake of music, and having sat through the band's live DVD and its unintentionally hilarious interview with the two guitarists (in which they discuss a "technique" that one presumes is guitar based by using suspect hand motions) I can confirm that they take themselves and their music far too seriously, basing their judgement of it on how precise their riffs and runs are, losing sight of whether or not the music they're making is any good. That's me, elaborating on soak's evaluation of them.

Outshined

« Reply #136 on: 26 Oct 2006, 03:42 »

I think a lot of artists take their work seriously, Outshined, myself among them. The opposite of pretentiousness, I would argue, isn't total apathy - the opposite would be an understanding of where one's importance really is. Besides, if "pretentious" is used as an absolute dismissal of work then it's being done by somebody who has no idea how to properly listen to music. I don't dismiss the last two Mars Volta records because they're pretentious, I dismiss them because I find the music on them to be tuneless and driveless, the opposites of which are what endeared me to their first album, and I'd love to elaborate on that but frankly hearing snippets of each new has given me enough indication that there are a lot of albums I would rather listen to the whole way through.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that calling everything "pretentious" has a harmful effect on musical creation and critique.  It doesn't cause the desired effect of giving people are realistic or humble opinion of their importance, but rather causes a reaction against it.  Some groups take advantage of the backlash against pretension, seeking to be fashionable in the "too cool to have anything meaningful to communicate" sort of way. 

The best example I can come up with is in modern art:  it is considered incredibly pretentious in some circles to paint/draw highly realistic human figures.  Because of this bias against pretentious realism, a backlash movement has reacted too far in the other direction:  abstract works that make little to no imposition on the viewer, created in series as if you were manufacturing the objects instead of crafting them, with little sentiment or soul injected in the process at all. 

Am I making any sense here? 

Ah, and for the record, I found the latest album to be a lot more like De-Loused than Frances was.  Actually scratch that.  It occupies a pretty good middle ground between the two.  Give a full track or two a chance and see if it's more in the vein of what you prefer.   

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #137 on: 26 Oct 2006, 04:53 »

saying that something is subjective doesn't mean it's irrelevant

Sadly, tommy, you've apparently missed mine. However, the girl was likely not very cute at all. I'll concede that. Darryl, you have awful taste in women. Sorry.

I think, Outshined, you're arguing against an overuse of the term "pretentious," which I do agree with. However, I note you and Valrus both enjoy later Mars Volta works. Valrus, you said this:

The Mars Volta seem to write music as if every single (often nonsensical, at least to the listener) lyric, flashy guitar solo, and minute of studio idling is just laden with significance and terrible meaning, but frankly it's hard to agree that their albums are that weighty. They write fifteen minute songs, but they often don't seem to have fifteen minutes worth of important stuff to say in them.

But I like The Mars Volta anyway, and I would argue that their pretention, while it certainly exists, does not negate the band's merits: a talent for writing ridiculously abstruse lyrics that still convey a strong sense of unease, undeniably proficient musicianship, a good use of dynamic swells and ebbs, and others.

And here is my rebuttal, courtesy of John Coltrane (this quote can be found in the liner notes for Ole):

...if I'm going to take an hour to say something I can say in ten minutes, maybe I'd better say it in ten minutes!

Valrus

• moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #138 on: 26 Oct 2006, 06:20 »

Well, actually I didn't say I liked TMV's latest; I said I liked the band, which is true, as I've liked at least two of their three albums so far. Jury's still out on Amputechture, but Frances the Mute showed me that I have a high tolerance for TMV's excesses so I do concede that I'll probably end up liking it Amputechture as well.

So here's my one-line rebuttal of your one-line rebuttal: If music is about economy of expression, everyone should just write prose instead.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #139 on: 26 Oct 2006, 11:59 »

but, but, Inlander, how can you dislike Wuthering Heights, Led Zeppelin, Isengard, Ephel Duath, Gandalf, both Lothloriens, Aurora Borealis, Cirith Ungol, Cirith Gorgor, Sauron, Blind Gaurdian, Nightwish, Orange Goblin, Lucifers Heritage, Elvenking and all three Nazguls?

MY MIND CAN'T TAKE IT.

Let's not forget Gorgoroth and Amon Amarth!

Incidentally, I'm a big fan of progressive and technical music and thus I love most of what a lot of people would call self-indulgent or pretentious. Whatever. This is a rant I posted in a thread about "Elitism" in another forum I frequent, OzProg.com:

I absolutely HATE HATE HATE how people consider technicality in music "self-indulgent." I don't get it. In my opinion someone who only ever writes three-chord verse-chorus songs which are completely derivative and uninspiring is WAY more self-indulgent than your average prog musician. This is a musician who isn't even attempting to do anything original with music, who is just cranking out the same shit that we've all heard before, and is expecting to (and more than likely, will) make a bunch of money out of it. I'm pretty sure that's REALLY self-indulgent. This as opposed to someone who works hard, practices like mad, and works very hard to make something new and inspiring, something that is trying to redefine the boundaries of music... Yeah, but they're just "wankers."

I have nothing against a capable and skilled musician playing "simple" music, because usually it has some mark of depth to it, but it really makes me angry and depressed when I hear music that is simple NOT because it is a deliberate choice by an artist, but because that person can't do anything more detailed. When I see a band like the Vines or the White Stripes selling millions of records with music and musicians that are completely simplistic and uninspired, while some true geniuses of music and art can't even afford to be professional musicians.

N.B; This doesn't mean that I think that all technical music is superior to simple music, but I hate the assumption that a sound musical theory somehow makes it impossible to achieve a great level of emotion in music. Listen to some goddamned Porcupine Tree or Devin Townsend and tell me there's no emotion in prog.
« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2006, 12:17 by David_Dovey »
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #140 on: 27 Oct 2006, 01:28 »

This as opposed to someone who works hard, practices like mad, and works very hard to make something new and inspiring, something that is trying to redefine the boundaries of music... Yeah, but they're just "wankers."

I read a quote from someone that said prog is a denial of the fact that a kid with a cheap acoustic guitar with two strings missing can walk into a room at any time and play a catchier song than prog bands ever could, musical training be damned.

I've got classical piano training but I've never bothered to apply any of it to guitar because I just want to make simple pop songs. Are you going to deny any potential emotional impact of my music just because I never learned how to do an Aeolian riff in 7/4 time over top of a 5/4 beat? The reason that your "true geniuses" of music and art can't afford to be professional musicians is because ninety percent of the time the people that take the technical attitude forget that a significant part of making music lies in actually writing a song instead of just slapping together theory. Bach's fugues may have been rigidly rooted in theory, but he made goddamn compelling melodies in them.

And in direct response to your quote, I think Pixies, with relatively simple music, stretched the boundaries of music far further than Yes. Nirvana stretched those boundaries further than Asia. Interpol has reshaped popular music in this last little while far more than Genesis did.

I guess what I'm saying here is that in songwriting the songwriting should take precedence, and the technical ability should come under scrutiny far afterwards, if at all.

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
« Reply #141 on: 27 Oct 2006, 04:18 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjqbWYIpRe0

sue me for enjoying a fart joke.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #142 on: 27 Oct 2006, 05:42 »

Just because you're technically good on an instrument doesn't mean you're any good as an overall musician. Every graduate of Berklee College of Music ever is a good example of this.

That being said, just because you can play the fuck out of your instrument doesn't guarantee you're gonna be a shitty songwriter, either. I cite the guys in Mastodon as evidence of this, but of course YMMV.

I think what I am trying to say is there are a lot more shitty guitarists writing shitty songs than there are good guitarists writing shitty songs.

Pretension is INCREDIBLY important to writing good music. Sgt. Pepper would never have happened without it.

I'd toss my hat in for the Mars Volta as being unbearably pretentious, but I've never actually bothered to listen to any of their stuff. I did see At The Drive-In back when they were together (and before they got all POPULAR OMG INDIECRED BLUGHULGHLGHLUGH) and they were unbearably annoying.

Screaming bad Willaim S. Burroughs lyrics and jumping off the drum kit EVERY SONG reeks of talentless pretension to me.
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2006, 05:45 by jeph »
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #143 on: 27 Oct 2006, 07:18 »

I hate Devo.

I don't really know how pretentious they are, I just wanted to say that. 
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #144 on: 27 Oct 2006, 07:43 »

Given your reputation on this board, I don't feel any less of a man by your insult. :roll:

But, ya know, Devo sucks. 

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #145 on: 27 Oct 2006, 17:13 »

Given your reputation on this board, I don't feel any less of a man by your insult. :roll:

But, ya know, Devo sucks.?

His reputation as one of the most well-liked people on here?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #146 on: 27 Oct 2006, 18:37 »

Given that on this board we aren't inclined to hate anyone (at least, that's the way it seems), being well-liked just comes with the territory.  While Tommy is generally a nice guy, I've seen several threads where his first response to someone's post is to mock them or insult them (albeit not maliciously), so I was just telling him that I wasn't taking him seriously.

I still hate Devo.  It's probably more due to the fact that one of my friends likes to dance around his room like a Munchkin from the Wizard of Oz whenever he is listening to them.  You know, negative conditioning. . .

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #147 on: 27 Oct 2006, 23:38 »

Nice hat.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #148 on: 28 Oct 2006, 10:41 »

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #149 on: 28 Oct 2006, 13:19 »

This as opposed to someone who works hard, practices like mad, and works very hard to make something new and inspiring, something that is trying to redefine the boundaries of music... Yeah, but they're just "wankers."

I read a quote from someone that said prog is a denial of the fact that a kid with a cheap acoustic guitar with two strings missing can walk into a room at any time and play a catchier song than prog bands ever could, musical training be damned.

I've got classical piano training but I've never bothered to apply any of it to guitar because I just want to make simple pop songs. Are you going to deny any potential emotional impact of my music just because I never learned how to do an Aeolian riff in 7/4 time over top of a 5/4 beat? The reason that your "true geniuses" of music and art can't afford to be professional musicians is because ninety percent of the time the people that take the technical attitude forget that a significant part of making music lies in actually writing a song instead of just slapping together theory. Bach's fugues may have been rigidly rooted in theory, but he made goddamn compelling melodies in them.

And in direct response to your quote, I think Pixies, with relatively simple music, stretched the boundaries of music far further than Yes. Nirvana stretched those boundaries further than Asia. Interpol has reshaped popular music in this last little while far more than Genesis did.

I guess what I'm saying here is that in songwriting the songwriting should take precedence, and the technical ability should come under scrutiny far afterwards, if at all.

I think you misinterpreted the point I made. Fair enough, it probably wasn't as fleshed out as it should have been. Essentially, jeph wrapped it up with his line "There are more shitty guitarists writing shitty songs than there are good guitarists writing shitty songs."

I'm not saying that simplicity is a bad thing or that intricate music is automatically better than simple music. In fact that kind of outlook really turns me off. But what I am saying is that someone with a sound understanding of musical theory is gonna be able to take three chords and do something much more poignant with it than someone who only knows those three chords. That's just the way it is. Once again I'd point you towards a band like Porcupine Tree, or to alternately prove my point, a band like The Vines. The Vines represent everything that pisses me off about music these days. It's clear that this band makes simple  music not because that is a conscious choice, but because that is the limit of their abilities. Any listen to the live performances shows that they struggle to pull off their own material -no matter how simple- on stage. The tripe they produce is so uninspiring, so contrived.

That line about the kid with the cheap acoustic guitar is bullshit by the way. If you give someone who has been writing songs for ten years, and someone who has been playing for three months, a melody or a part of a song, and tell them to write a full song based around that, who is gonna make the more emotionally satisfying tune? I'm going with the experienced songwriter.

As far as stretching boundaries, I don't really see how writing strictly linear music that follows the same pattern time and time again can be considered to be pushing boundaries. You're confusing popularity with achievement. Incidentally, if you listen to "Close To The Edge" by Yes, or "Selling England By The Pound" by Genesis, if you could lay down your preconceptions for two seconds, you'd find that above and beyond the technicality or intricacy of the tune, some of the most beautiful melodies and lyrics ever written courtesy of Jon Anderson and Peter Gabriel.

And as for Nirvana, well the only boundary they pushed is they created a world in which musical talent no longer became a pre-requisite for being a musician. All you need is an image and a touch of luck. To even consider Nirvana the best band of their scene would be absolute fallacy, let alone the plaudits they often receive. Interpol are just a rehash of much better bands that came before them like Joy Division.

You mention having classical training, yet not applying it to writing simple pop songs. I don't quite understand how it's possible to turn off your training? I'm pretty sure, that whether you're self-consciously applying it or not, you're still a trained musician who is actually thinking about what they're doing. Once again, I'd like to stress that simplicity in music is NOT what I am railing against. I draw a distinction between simplicity of songwriting, in which a songwriter writes a simple song because that is what is aesthetically pleasing, and simplicity in musicinaship, in which a songwriter writes a simple song because that is all they can do.

I'm also not defending the  REAL "wankers," the types of people who do write music for the sole purpose of showing off instrumental chops. That stuff leaves me as cold and empty as the next person.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up