THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 15 Apr 2024, 23:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Most Pretentious Band(s)  (Read 73457 times)

jimib

Re: Most Pretentious Band(s)
« Reply #200 on: 29 Nov 2006, 15:19 »

i saw the dandy warhols last year at this free concert and courtney taylor taylor was acting like a huge dick

interviewer - so what have you been upto between record your newest album and the last album?
ctt- ..........recording this album
interviewer - .....um, besides recording that album?
ctt - sleeping.

i think the interviewer then went to ask the girl keyboardist some questions instead

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #201 on: 29 Nov 2006, 15:45 »

The Sleepy Jackson.

Luke Steele is like this centuries Brian Wilson! But with 1/16 of the talent!
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #202 on: 29 Nov 2006, 16:25 »

He's got alot more talent then his sister.
I should mention that the devil was in my yard, but the devil is no longer in my yard.

camelpimp

« Reply #203 on: 29 Nov 2006, 22:55 »

I like Devo, but whenever I read or watch an interview with Mark Mothersbaugh I really, really want to punch him in the face. I don't know why. Also, I want Morrissey in the balls.

I guess there's my litmus test: if I like their music and yet still want to punch them in the face, they are pretentious. Which doesn't make sense, so scratch that. But it SOUNDED concise.

Which a lovely, horrible thing about art is that neat little concise theories never work. Which is why the whole, "does more musical training equal better music" argument is pointless. The answer: we don't know. Most people will like music BEFORE evaluating the band's musical abilities.

redgreengaze

« Reply #204 on: 02 Dec 2006, 00:33 »

I'd have to say the Fray.....that might just be me, since I hate them....

Narr

« Reply #205 on: 02 Dec 2006, 00:51 »

Has anyone mentioned Metallica yet?

The guys think they are THE motherfuckin' best thing to ever happen to Metal.  Don't get me wrong; they were a highly influential band and deserve to be talked about in that regard, but they really aren't anything special.  They are so incredibly full of themselves that it's rather funny.  Seriously, they've become the FACE of over-the-hill rockers who still live in a rose-colored past.

I like a lot of their music.  I'm completely and utterly burnt out on it, but I could still probably sing along with just about every song they've ever written up until Load because that's about when they completely lost their minds.

Is it just me, or did the 90's totally shatter the minds of everyone that thought they were big in the 80's?  Metallica went loco.  Michael Jackson LITERALLY lost his mind.  Do I even need to mention Hair Rock in general?  The fact that some of the hair rock band members are still alive and can actually articulate complete sentences boggles my mind.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #206 on: 15 Dec 2006, 10:30 »

Any band that's ever referenced Tolkien - anyhow, anywhere.

Daw, you don't like power metal at all?

And Narr, I second the entirety of that second paragraph.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #207 on: 15 Dec 2006, 11:36 »

Is it just me, or did the 90's totally shatter the minds of everyone that thought they were big in the 80's?  Metallica went loco.  Michael Jackson LITERALLY lost his mind.  Do I even need to mention Hair Rock in general?  The fact that some of the hair rock band members are still alive and can actually articulate complete sentences boggles my mind.

You raise an interesting point. I blame the fact that they quit doing drugs and drinking. Spend enough time in a permanently altered state of mind, only to have it taken away, and ego-madness is bound to kick in eventually.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #208 on: 16 Dec 2006, 11:39 »

I like Devo, but whenever I read or watch an interview with Mark Mothersbaugh I really, really want to punch him in the face. I don't know why. Also, I want Morrissey in the balls.

I guess there's my litmus test: if I like their music and yet still want to punch them in the face, they are pretentious. Which doesn't make sense, so scratch that. But it SOUNDED concise.

Thats a great theory.
Try watching a documantary about something music related and seeing Nick Cave pop up to natter on about his theories of art and beauty. Proves the theory for me anyway
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up