THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 01:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jade Empire  (Read 7614 times)

nihilist

Jade Empire
« on: 18 Apr 2005, 07:43 »

Picked up the limited edition yesterday, when I waltzed past EB.  Came home and fired it up.  A second later, it was 2am.  Mmm, addictive RPG games.  Anybody else pick this up?

nihilist

Jade Empire
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2005, 08:39 »

Combat is pretty cool.  You learn different fighting styles, support styles, change styles and the like.  In combat, you can (have to) change between them to defeat your opponents.  Plus, you really need to learn how to block/dodge.  No brute force to be found here.

nihilist

Jade Empire
« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2005, 08:45 »

Sorry, all real-time.  And some tough shit.

dannyboy

Jade Empire
« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2005, 09:14 »

I wanted to get this, but heard it was only 20 hours long.  I kinda think that's a cop out in RPG terms.  Anything less than 40 hrs isn't really worth it IMO.

nihilist

Jade Empire
« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2005, 09:21 »

I'm not sure, I've put about five hours in, and I'm only on chapter two of seven.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Jade Empire
« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2005, 14:23 »

Oh yeah, picked up the limited edition.  After mucking about with charecter creation for a bit I ended up playing as Furious Ming.

I haven't been able to do a harmonic combo yet.  Am I just inept or are those things tricky to pull off?  Or both?

I really like the combat system.  Pretty simple but not too simple to the point where it's just a button masher.

I've put probably ten hours into it and I'm on chapter three.  I spent a good part of the first chapter making sure I had the fighting down (except those damn harmonic combos...)

nihilist

Jade Empire
« Reply #6 on: 18 Apr 2005, 19:29 »

I actually haven't managed one yet myself.  I'm gonna read the big book that I picked up with the game, see if I can learn me some skills.  :)

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Jade Empire
« Reply #7 on: 19 Apr 2005, 16:52 »

Picked that up as well.  Well, my brother did.  He is usually off work before me.  He mentioned seeing a DVD strategy guide for it.

Hoborg

Jade Empire
« Reply #8 on: 19 Apr 2005, 19:54 »

I really hope they release this on PC. I'd consider upgrading my now-pathetic gaming box for it.

nihilist

Jade Empire
« Reply #9 on: 20 Apr 2005, 10:48 »

Well, I put in about 12 hours so far, and still fun.  The damn enemies keep getting harder.  I hate the goddamn lost souls!

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Jade Empire
« Reply #10 on: 20 Apr 2005, 14:59 »

I can't remember how many hours into I am.  Level 13 though.  Fighting in the arena.

What sort of charecter you go with?

nihilist

Jade Empire
« Reply #11 on: 21 Apr 2005, 06:44 »

I went with the magic chick.  Upped my focus something obscene, and then used the sword to cut everybody down.  Arena wasn't too hard till the last guy.  He's a bastard to beat.  Finished the game at level 23.

Oerdin

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Jade Empire
« Reply #12 on: 21 Apr 2005, 07:18 »

I'm in the same boat.  I heard bad things about KotOR so I'm avoiding this one until people I know say good things about it.  It seems like the commercial reviewers always give bad games good reviews so you just can't trust them.

nihilist

Jade Empire
« Reply #13 on: 21 Apr 2005, 09:00 »

Bad things about KotoR?  Really?  That's kinda obscene, KotoR was a sweet sweet game.  KotoR2, on the other hand was not.  Bugs, missing quests, basically an unfinished game.  However, KotoR2 was developed by Obsidian, not BioWare.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Jade Empire
« Reply #14 on: 21 Apr 2005, 12:34 »

Hmm, I didn't have any problems with KOTOR2, though unfinished I agree with.  At some point I remember on Mandalore some point of interest markers on the pause map that were unaccessable (unless you come back through and they're suddenly accessable.)

I've mostly been playing in the morning before work, which might be my problem.  I may also go do a couple of the other quests in the city and come back, I think I was decently close to leveling up.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
Jade Empire
« Reply #15 on: 21 Apr 2005, 13:54 »

I'ma pick this up tomorrow, I think.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Jade Empire
« Reply #16 on: 21 Apr 2005, 14:14 »

Quote from: nihilist
Combat is pretty cool.  You learn different fighting styles, support styles, change styles and the like.  In combat, you can (have to) change between them to defeat your opponents.  Plus, you really need to learn how to block/dodge.  No brute force to be found here.

I think this my problem.  Every time I go to block I pull a direction on the left thumbstick and accidently dodge and take damage.

Another thing I prefer about Jade Empire is how they have it set up to map the different styles/supports/magics to the dpad instead of cycling through like in the KOTOR games.

nihilist

Jade Empire
« Reply #17 on: 21 Apr 2005, 18:59 »

You shouldn't take damage when you dodge, unless you're waiting a bit too long.

Yeah, having quick and easy access to the styles is nice, especially to setup a harmonic combo.[/list]

ElRodente

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • unf unf unf
    • doodleblog
Jade Empire
« Reply #18 on: 22 Apr 2005, 08:26 »

Quote from: dannyboy
I wanted to get this, but heard it was only 20 hours long.  I kinda think that's a cop out in RPG terms.  Anything less than 40 hrs isn't really worth it IMO.

i hate how most rpgs are too short nowadays, these huge disks, hold about 5 GB, yet final fantasy lasted over 99 hours for me (i loved it) though you could complete it easily in under 40 hours, there was that much more to it than the main storyline, and there was none of this metroid prime percentage nonsense, you had finished the game when you were fed up, which was never.
Oh no, he was fine... and now he's poorly from too much electric

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Jade Empire
« Reply #19 on: 22 Apr 2005, 13:29 »

Quote from: nihilist
You shouldn't take damage when you dodge, unless you're waiting a bit too long.

Yeah, having quick and easy access to the styles is nice, especially to setup a harmonic combo.[/list]

Ah, you finally pulled a harmonic combo off?  I bet it's not that hard and I just suck.

That's the problem is I mean to block and accidently dodge into attack instead of back out of it.

nihilist

Jade Empire
« Reply #20 on: 22 Apr 2005, 13:34 »

Yeah, harmonic combos aren't the easiest to setup, especially since they generally require a power hit first, a switch to a second type, and then a hit with that.  Yarr.

Get a controller with bigger buttons and/or more space between them?  :p

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Jade Empire
« Reply #21 on: 22 Apr 2005, 13:39 »

Ah.  That's what I thought it was, I just suck.  Maybe I'll give it a try while in focus.
Pages: [1]   Go Up