THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 12:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Did you fit the stereotypes about your favourate music?  (Read 32320 times)

Robbo

Plain and simple, there are stereotypes on people from the types of music they listen to. Do you fit any of those stereotypes or not?

For me, yes. Tpyically Nerd Metal Head. Lots of band t shirts and jeans, doing a Physics degree, liking lots of cheesy and wankery Power/Prog stuff, long with lots of really heavy stuff because it's the only way I'm gonna be hard.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
Did you fit the stereotypes about your favourate music?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2005, 12:59 »

A few I suppose. I listen to more punk, hardcore and DIY stuff than anything else. So being vegan, very left wing, putting on gigs, (trying) to play in bands, wearing badges and band t-shirts, reading zines and underground comics, having tattoos and being a student are all fairly stereotypical I guess.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

rynne

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Hey, nice marmot!
« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2005, 13:08 »

Probably not.  I look much too mainstream/slightly preppy to blend in easily with industrial crowds.  I guess I'm closer to the indie norm, but my style is generally too conservative--e.g., I wear cargos and t-shirts, but not particularly "hip" styles of either.
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

muffy

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2005, 13:14 »

I try, from time to time, to deny this, but yes, I fit the stereotypes pretty well, which irks me somewhat.
Indie kids -
*socially inept,
*not exactly gifted with an eye for dress sense (most of my clothes have holes in them -I like to pretend it's stylised, but when my jeans become more hole than fabric and my converse are being held together with gaffer tape, it's a sign I need new clothes),
*Self cut, fairly shoddily dyed hair
*A refusal to wear  brand names with the exception of the afore mentioned converse
*A refusal to admit that said shoes were bought for fashionable purposes as opposed to practicality/comfort
*Inherent snobbery about other people's musical preferences
*An ability to rant about music for hours
*Plus all the free music and gig blagging, psuedo music journalism and stints DJing down the indie clubs...let's be honest, no-one's gonna mistake me for a hip hop fan in a hurry.

Schmung

« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2005, 13:28 »

Nope. Not sure what you'd describe my musical taste as in the first place because it doesn't fall neatly into any one genre, but I don't really dress particularly like anything. I just sort of look anonymous and slightly scruffy, which suits me just fine.

Robbo

« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2005, 13:31 »

Saw a reply like that coming.

Schmung

« Reply #6 on: 18 Apr 2005, 13:37 »

Well +10 predictability points for me.

Maybe it's a reaction to all those people who feel the need to dress a certain way to tell eveyone what they're into, or all those fuckwit 15-18 year olds who want to 'individual' and somehow fail to realise that they look like every other 'disaffected' sheep out there. That doesn't seem overly likely, because I was as I am now when I'm 15. More likely, it's because I don't particularly want to draw attention to myself and I wouldn't feel particularly comfortable wearing something that screams 'I LIKE INDIE/ALTERNATIVE MUSIC SO FUCKING THERE. Who can say.

Robbo

« Reply #7 on: 18 Apr 2005, 13:55 »

Eh, I'm no different to any other Nerd Metal Head in the world. Certainly not an individual, but then very few people in the world are.

Being all low key and all "so not being a stereotype and not being anything" has become one as well, what a shock.

Praeserpium Machinarum

« Reply #8 on: 18 Apr 2005, 14:01 »

Well I am wearing a t-shirt with a huge dragon on it, which more indicates I am into role-playing than anything...and that I like dragons. Which I suppose should scream a Within Temptation fan or something, but no, not at all. In other words no I don't I fit a stereotype, because my taste is all over the place, and I only wear clothing that is comfortable and loose, sort of hippie I guess..

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: 18 Apr 2005, 14:03 »

Well, I like metal, gothic music, folk and industrial...

* Wardrobe is entirely black denim and leather, band t-shirts and camouflage
* Owns a gas mask
* Owns a trench-coat
* Wears combat boots for comfort
* Long, dyed black hair
* Wears an inverted wolfs cross at all times, and knows exactly what it symbolises
* Always wears black nail varnish except when at school (I've got addicted to it now, it just looks so great!)
* often wears heavy, deliberately smeared monochrome makeup when going out
* owns a jacket covered in patches and badges for his favourite bands/causes/artists/writers etc.
* Posseses endless hours of recordings by underground bands with unpronouncable names
* Plays (a big black spiky) guitar
* Is in a band
* Has his own side-project
* Is bisexual
* Likes fantasy and sci-fi books
* Thinks vampires are really neat

So probably. I don't fit into a lot of other stereotypes though, especially if you have fucking stupid ideas about goths (I'm not really a goth, but still, I get lumbered with the idea that I self-harm or don't wash or don't smile at all pretty regularly).

Also, I love people who start all that 'OMG U CLAIM TO BE AN INDIVIDUAL BUT U WEAR BLACK LIEK OTHA GOFFS' bollocks. I don't know about any other goths or goth-labelled-persons, but I don't dress like this to be an individual.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

blindsuperhero

« Reply #10 on: 18 Apr 2005, 14:05 »

I'm a whole mix of stereotypes, one for every type of music I like (well, not entirely). The clothes I wear include cut-off three-quarter length punk rock shorts, plain brown cords, baggy jeans, hoodies, jackets, hawaiian shirts, homemade t-shirts and loads of band t-shirts, the bands on them ranging from Down By Law and Capdown through the Blood Brothers, Thursday and My Awesome Compilation to Radiohead and the Wedding Present. One generalisation that could be made about what I wear is most of the time what I wear is trying to say something, be it "I like this band" or "Support your local poet"

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #11 on: 18 Apr 2005, 14:08 »

I'm in the same boat as rhynne. I'm too mainstream in my clothing tastes (yay old navy!) to be able to tell what I listen to. Plus in the summer, I work in a factory building heavy machinery so there you definately can't tell what I listen to! Maybe I'd look like I like '80s buttrock, as I like to wear old jeans bought thrifting and they're usually ugly and acid-washed and *gasp* straight leg. Plus old holey shirts.

Hmm.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #12 on: 18 Apr 2005, 14:56 »

What do Captain Beefheart/Zappa fans look like?
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Hector Gilbert

« Reply #13 on: 18 Apr 2005, 15:02 »

I'm not a completely dedicated fan of any particular genre or scene in music, so I don't believe that I could be typecast.  Unless someone can guess what I look like and how I behave because I listen to Yes, Current 93, Darkthrone and Crass...?

Robbo

« Reply #14 on: 18 Apr 2005, 15:10 »

I'm have to guess you're some sort of nerd, lots of plain jeans, average t shirts and band shirts, from listening to Prog and Metal.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #15 on: 18 Apr 2005, 15:14 »

Quote from: Kai
What do Captain Beefheart/Zappa fans look like?

Hippies, or jeans/shirts/sweaters/t-shirts unassuming looking muso types. General beardiness too. We've probably got a slightly gleeful unhinged look in our eyes from overexposure to Trout Mask Replica too.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Robbo

« Reply #16 on: 18 Apr 2005, 15:15 »

Now there's a decent guess if ever there was one.

Schmung

« Reply #17 on: 18 Apr 2005, 15:20 »

Quote from: KharBevNor

Also, I love people who start all that 'OMG U CLAIM TO BE AN INDIVIDUAL BUT U WEAR BLACK LIEK OTHA GOFFS' bollocks. I don't know about any other goths or goth-labelled-persons, but I don't dress like this to be an individual.

Calm down dear. You're fucking nuts and are thus exempt, plus, you posess a brain, which clearly invalidates any claim to sheepery that you might posess.

On another note, I wasn't aware I had so tragically slipped into cliche. Fuck. Where can I find more people like me so that we can form an anti socail group social group and then be all snobby about everyone else? I'm so eager to get started, I have a tatoo designed and everything.

Signum_Tenebrae

« Reply #18 on: 18 Apr 2005, 15:22 »

Pretty much.

Some of the metal stereotypes I fit are..

- Long hair (was down to the middle of my back but I cut it to a few inches below my shoulders)
- Wears entirely jeans and band T-shirts (and the more "kvlt" the band the better, ohh yeah, :P)
-  Socially inept
-  Likes fantasy, sci-fi, RPGs, and video games
-  Plays a BC Rich guitar
-  in a metal band

some of the stereotypes I don't fit are..

- I don't drink beer or do any drugs (aside from nyquil and the occasional valium)
-  I don't like to headbang all that much, though I do it on occasion at concerts when I can't help myself.
-  I'm not really an "elitist" though I do listen to underground metal stuff. . I'm generally nice and not an asshole (mostly a BM stereotype)

ahh I can't think of anymore, haha.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #19 on: 18 Apr 2005, 15:31 »

Quote from: Signum_Tenebrae

- I don't drink beer or do any drugs (aside from nyquil and the occasional valium)

lol, you reminded me

*When I drink I drink Cider (My folk side) and Jack Daniels (My Metal side)
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Robbo

« Reply #20 on: 18 Apr 2005, 15:32 »

I've never seen drinking as part of the Nerdy Metal fan...or maybe because lots of them are too young to drink and I grew into the idea a few years ago, when I didnt even think about drinking.

Hmmm... But carry on people, it's interesting for the most part.

Schmung

« Reply #21 on: 18 Apr 2005, 15:35 »

Dear lord alive I love alcohol. Words cannot express. Drugs are fine as well, just can't be arsed with them to a large extent, as getting hold of them is a more hassle then going to the shops, so unless it's there then I won't be taking it. If there's something floating around then I'll give it a whirl though.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #22 on: 18 Apr 2005, 15:38 »

No way I fit the stereotype for the kind of music I listen to most often. most of the stuff I listen to 98% of the time is classical.

and I just don't look like a classical music listener.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

Robbo

« Reply #23 on: 18 Apr 2005, 15:40 »

Does that extend to coke as well. One of the ...oddest things maybe I've heard about drugs is. "I wont buy coke, anyawy that does is an fool and is asking for trouble. But if there's a few lines on a table at party, I'll be there and taking the marching powder."

Hector Gilbert

« Reply #24 on: 18 Apr 2005, 16:39 »

Quote from: Robbo
I'm have to guess you're some sort of nerd, lots of plain jeans, average t shirts and band shirts, from listening to Prog and Metal.

Aye, that is a good guess!  Close enough indeed.  No drinking for me either, it's just not my scene.

Robbo

« Reply #25 on: 18 Apr 2005, 16:40 »

All good my man, all good.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #26 on: 18 Apr 2005, 17:04 »

Quote from: a pack of wolves

Hippies, or jeans/shirts/sweaters/t-shirts unassuming looking muso types. General beardiness too. We've probably got a slightly gleeful unhinged look in our eyes from overexposure to Trout Mask Replica too.

Dammit, I am stereotypical on the matter of creepy eyes and  abeard, along with many a pairs of pants and shirts.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

mechorg

« Reply #27 on: 18 Apr 2005, 17:45 »

It all depends on what I feel like and what I'm listening to at the moment.
Recently I've become more 'average' and non-descript... moreso myself that I have been in the past.

I have been accused of trend-hopping in my more vulnerable years.  I have been a goth, a rivet-head (moreso than goth), a raver (not the candy type), a nerdy prep, a grunge kid, and currenly the 'more myself self' fits kinda a stereotype of the indie fan but hints of my past regressions.

Lets just say I can fit in with pretty much any crowd I feel, which comes in handy when your taste in music varies so much.  Though, I have been known to attend a show with a conflicting style just for humor.

mooface

« Reply #28 on: 18 Apr 2005, 18:04 »

Not at all.  It would be impossible in the first place because I listen to everything from pop-punk to emo to rock to classical...

My clothing style is just as random.  Sometimes I'm in a casual jeans & a t-shirt, sometimes I look like a manufactured Hot Topic kid, usually I'm in some random outfit of a bunch of old clothes I slammed together to look like I've got "unique" fashin sense.

Well, I guess although I'm not stereotypical, my random taste in clothes reflects my random taste in music :P

Oh yeah, and I wore converses before they were cool... back when I was a loser made fun of for my bad taste in clothes.  Muahaha.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #29 on: 18 Apr 2005, 18:24 »

I'm an indie kid who leans towards post-punk, so the characteristics that specifically apply to me are:

-doesn't really dress into any kind of fashion, but prefers a weird blend of spiffy and unkempt
-shaggy, kind of long hair
-wears suits on occasion
-inherent snobbery about other people's musical preferences
-an ability to rant about music for hours
-tolerates pretentiousness

I nicked two from Muffy.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

static_cult

« Reply #30 on: 18 Apr 2005, 18:36 »

i used to be a stereotypical emo kid. i still look the part, but i'm trying to change...

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #31 on: 18 Apr 2005, 18:41 »

Hmmm, I have a very strange mix of music taste, so let's see, shall we?

Classical, Jazz, Ska, Classic Punk, Classic Rock, Instrumental Rock, Billy Joel, and Showtunes.

Is there a stereotype that applies to all of those? I really like music, if that counts.

Lets see, The Classical, Jazz, and Instrumental Rock, show that I'm a music nerd wich I am. The ska says that I have at one time smoked pot, which I haven't. THe classic rock and punk show that I'm awesome, which I am. And the Billy Joel and Showtunes say that I'm gay (well, that's what my friends say), which I'm not.

Kind of a mixed bag, I guess.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

daviesmatt

« Reply #32 on: 18 Apr 2005, 20:47 »

I have very varied music tastes, so I'm gonna go with no. I wear plain t-shirts usually without names, jeans, cords, 3/4 length shorts or cargo pants. I have shoulder length black hair, and 2 ear piercings. I tend to dress pretty normally, with an indy/goth/whatever twist.

I used to smoke a lot of pot, mind, so I'm guessing that didnt help.

Man, I cant type today, or remember anything. I've forgotten what I'm supposed to be writing about.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #33 on: 18 Apr 2005, 21:12 »

Quote from: Robbo
Does that extend to coke as well. One of the ...oddest things maybe I've heard about drugs is. "I wont buy coke, anyawy that does is an fool and is asking for trouble. But if there's a few lines on a table at party, I'll be there and taking the marching powder."

Coke's for hookers and yuppies.
I've been drug free for over 6 months now, but I would like some shrooms. I like saying I don't do drugs though, makes me proud.

I dont really look like what I listen to. I sometimes look like a complete punk (black hair & band tshirt, 80s ripped jeans, black hoodie, hightops) and sometimes I can look rather spiffy (gap dress shirt, cords). The majority of my listening is towards indie rock/pop, but I also like punk, ska, new wave and electronica.
I do exhibit some of the signs of an indie rock fan however. Thrift store shirts, converse/vans slip-ons, music ranting ability and plastic framed glasses are some of them.
I like the way you work it.

El Opium

« Reply #34 on: 18 Apr 2005, 21:44 »

I'm currently into a mess of various experimental leaning genres. The stereotype is kind of like a snobby indie rocker but worse and bearded.
For:
Socially inept
Very messy hair I cannot control that looks awful
Only ever wears jeans with blank earthtone t-shirts
Like to hunt down vinyl
Buys tiny art edition CD-Rs and Tapes
Music ranting ability
Highly resistant to noise
Likes to stay up late and get mesmerized by the hum of the world (distant cars, fridge, air conditioning)
Speaks in an English accent

Against:
No Beard
Wears worn out old boots instead of converse (thought of getting some but nike bought em out)
My glasses are wire framed
Never wears band t-shirts
Has a corporate job at a supermarket

Jolouie

« Reply #35 on: 18 Apr 2005, 22:52 »

I'm gXc.

Which is Ghetto-Core.

I only have 3 band shirts, Zeppelin, Floyd, and a local band. The rest is divided by 2 flannel shirts, 2 button up short sleeves plain shirts, a bunch of dragons/skulls/etc, some Rocawear, some Phat Farm, some Ecko, Fubu pants, Homestar shirts, and other random things. I always wear custom vans though, which I have two pairs of. They're black and pink checkered and black-white/pink-white skull and crossbones. I also have a pair of Jordans, And1, and some Nikes.

I'm vegetarian, and I have long hair. A PR beard, which is the beard that goes from the sideburns to the chins in a line, and then I have a goatee. I wear rubber bracelets. I wear ties, not just for stupidity, but because I actually like wearing ties. And I'm sXe.

And I'm currently listening to A Silver Mt. Zion.

So yes, I am your stereo-typical gXc kid.

daviesmatt

« Reply #36 on: 19 Apr 2005, 00:13 »

Ghetto-core?

That is sooo yesterday.

I'm prog-emo-death-l33t-core. With a ribbon.

Amsterdarn

« Reply #37 on: 19 Apr 2005, 00:40 »

Quote from: Johnny C
I'm an indie kid who leans towards post-punk, so the characteristics that specifically apply to me are:

-doesn't really dress into any kind of fashion, but prefers a weird blend of spiffy and unkempt
-shaggy, kind of long hair
-wears suits on occasion
-inherent snobbery about other people's musical preferences
-an ability to rant about music for hours
-tolerates pretentiousness

Good God, it's me.  Except I say 'pretention', and lean more toward post-rock than post-punk.

MilkmanDan

« Reply #38 on: 19 Apr 2005, 01:02 »

Yeah. Probobly.
I wear jeans and tshirts. So do most people. Some of them listen to the same music as me.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #39 on: 19 Apr 2005, 02:51 »

Lets see;

-I own two pairs of nondescript pants
-3/4 nondescript tshirts
-I wear an old semi-broken watch
-my hair is slightly too long, straight and generally gets left where it sits in the morning
-socially inept (as much as i try to deny it)
-unemployed (still at high school)
-bitches about peoples music (and their cars) constantly

Whats my musical preference?
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

kikanjuuneko

« Reply #40 on: 19 Apr 2005, 03:23 »

Yes and no.

See, I love hardcore and metal.

Reasons why I don't fit into hardcore/metal stereotypes:
* I wear pants my size (as opposed to huge camo shorts, girls pants or leather)
* I actually wear shirts every now and then
* I don't suffer from "I only liked their first EP/demo" syndrome
* I don't listen to old-school hardcore and hate anything made after '89, or anything that doesn't sound like it was made in '89
* I think people who do the last two should be punched in the face
* I don't whine about how people don't support the scene and then refuse to go see bands I don't like because of some stupid principle
* I don't dismiss modern bands as "OMG BOTCH RIPOFF"
* I don't talk shit or spread rumors about bands on messageboards, and my posts don't consist to 95% of the word "fuck"
* I hate moshers who lack hand-eye coordination

Reasons I do fit into hardcore/metal stereotypes:
* Tough guy mosh
* Singalong obsession
* I refer to other hardcore fans as "kids"
* 90% of my t-shirts are band shirts
* Camo obsession
* Air guitar playing
* Air drum playing

More as I think of them.

Robbo

« Reply #41 on: 19 Apr 2005, 03:26 »

See, there's no escape.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #42 on: 19 Apr 2005, 06:20 »

-3/4 nondescript tshirts

By that I mean 3 or 4 nondescript tshirts, not threequarters of a nondescript tshirt.

Just thought I might clear that up...
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Mikendher

« Reply #43 on: 19 Apr 2005, 06:49 »

Acoustic indie/ folk? Yeah probably. I wear jeans, band shirts, play acoustic guitar. I'm a pacifist. Don't do drugs or drink (though I guess that might not fit).

ASturge

« Reply #44 on: 19 Apr 2005, 07:19 »

Same here, acoustic indie, indie rock.

Im skinny, i have long hair, i wear t-shirts that have funny slogans and i look down on anybody who reads NME (thats YOU Cpt.Fantastic...)

Robbo

« Reply #45 on: 19 Apr 2005, 07:28 »

I thought anyone with a brain looked down on NME.

Mnementh

« Reply #46 on: 19 Apr 2005, 07:40 »

I don't have any favourite genre.  I just listen to what my mood dictates.  I lean towards the indie rock side of things though.

And no, I don't fit the stereotype.

normz

« Reply #47 on: 19 Apr 2005, 09:10 »

Nope I don't think i do ....... I love lots of metal and prog rock yet

* I'm very sociable and outgoing
* I'm a Law and Public Policy Student
* I work in a very conservative clothing store for middle aged men
* I'm a natural blonde but i have an apprentice hairdresser best friend so my hair is currently brown atm with pinky panels through it
* I've been compared to barbie (that actually shit me off coz i hate pink)
* I love mini skirts as opposed to jeans
* I have more guy best friends than girls and often go to gatherings with 10 guys and me alone
* I hang out all the time with grungy metal heads at local gigs (and constantly get labelled a groupie)
* I occasionally model when my hairdresser/ designer friends make me
* I normally end up dating the type of trend whores who work in surf stores
* 1/3 of my wardrobe is black another 3rd is uber conservative work clothes and another third is clubbing/going out gear (mini skirts and skanky tops)
* I read alot
* I was captain of the high school debate team

So if you meet me at work you'll think I'm uber conservative because of my clothes yet if you saw me on campus i look like your regualr teeny trend whore and if you talked to me about books/uni/ politics you would probably assume I'm a nerd however If you flicked through my cd collection you would assume I'm some gothic freak........... or if your someone whose known me for a long time you probably still don't know what 'category'  to put me in

jal-vani

« Reply #48 on: 19 Apr 2005, 09:12 »

I just don't know if i fit into stereotypes or not. I just kinda do whatever.

Robbo

« Reply #49 on: 19 Apr 2005, 09:14 »

Some people mix several types, the whole Nerd Metal Head thing is a direct example. If not the best. But it seems to be something you slip part way into.

And it's just gender ratios more than anything that leave you as the only girl with a bunch of male Metalers...well, maybe. Could be other things. But anyway.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up