THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 00:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Regarding Penny Arcade  (Read 10121 times)

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Regarding Penny Arcade
« on: 18 Apr 2005, 17:44 »

Has anyone seen this, because I want to believe that it is a joke or prank, or that's what I wanted to believe when Tycho posted the other day. Upon seeing one of Tycho's own comics, I no longer hope that it is a joke, I pray it so. I'm going to be rather filled with disdain if it remains as unfunny as todays. I liked the tasteless humor and Gabe's art.

Am I alone here?
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
Regarding Penny Arcade
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2005, 17:46 »

You're alone if you honestly thought they might be serious.

Personally I think it's one of the more brilliant things Tycho's yet written.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Regarding Penny Arcade
« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2005, 17:57 »

I always thought Tycho was the man. Obviously the brains of the operation. I hope today's comic confused and pissed a lot of people off, because it was so awesome.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Regarding Penny Arcade
« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2005, 18:16 »

I found it hilarious.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Regarding Penny Arcade
« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2005, 18:17 »

Quote from: jeph
You're alone if you honestly thought they might be serious.

Okay I'm a big dumb idiot. Upon reading the newspost, I have realized that this is actually a pretty funny joke. I'm now gleed, look and see my glee.

No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Burninated Peasant

Regarding Penny Arcade
« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2005, 18:23 »

I can't believe anybody would fall for that. Why would Tycho make such a drastic change when he has the only web-comic officially licensed to satirize video games?

What? :P

Socky

• Emoticontraindication
Regarding Penny Arcade
« Reply #6 on: 18 Apr 2005, 18:25 »

If it were true would Gabe have drawn the comic on Friday explaining what was going to happen? (rhetorical)

smilingbeef

Regarding Penny Arcade
« Reply #7 on: 19 Apr 2005, 19:41 »

I, for one, thought it was fucking priceless.  I mean, I know Tycho's got a penchant for, ahem, egregiously obscure word choice, but that post was just... impressive is the word, I think.

Empty Friend

Regarding Penny Arcade
« Reply #8 on: 19 Apr 2005, 23:27 »

the look on mr. period's face is awesome.  I almost wish gabe would redraw this one too, because I really <3 the punctuation comics.

SIMONCAPITAL

Regarding Penny Arcade
« Reply #9 on: 23 Apr 2005, 15:38 »

As a long time reader of Penny Arcade I've noticed that it has gotten steadily less and less funny for about three years now. Maybe they should disband the comic while people have at least some respect for it instead of dragging it out over years and years. Like the Simpsons.

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
Regarding Penny Arcade
« Reply #10 on: 23 Apr 2005, 16:44 »

Quote from: smilingbeef
impressive

effulgent?
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

GebStar

• Furry furrier
Regarding Penny Arcade
« Reply #11 on: 23 Apr 2005, 23:10 »

Quote from: SIMONCAPITAL
As a long time reader of Penny Arcade I've noticed that it has gotten steadily less and less funny for about three years now. Maybe they should disband the comic while people have at least some respect for it instead of dragging it out over years and years. Like the Simpsons.

I can understand where your coming from, but Tycho can really pull out a great comic.  Frankly, this one:

Is the greatest one he has ever written.
Quote from: Trollstormur
that slogan is a good slogan. so good, in fact, I think it should be applied to other things. like, "there's no wrong way to hit your spouse." or "there's no wrong way to commit nonconsentual sodomy."

Burninated Peasant

Regarding Penny Arcade
« Reply #12 on: 24 Apr 2005, 08:22 »

I thought that one was particularly brilliant too. When every panel has a laugh out loud moment, you know you've got something special. Not many people can do that.

I also really liked the strip they did about Crystal Chronicles. It was hysterical!

alic3sw0nd3rland

Regarding Penny Arcade
« Reply #13 on: 24 Apr 2005, 08:27 »

Quote from: GebStar
Quote from: SIMONCAPITAL

I can understand where your coming from, but Tycho can really pull out a great comic.  Frankly, this one:

Is the greatest one he has ever written.

I find that one extremelly funny because you know Judas was a traitor and what not. Man Penny arcade brings the funnys.

Socky

• Emoticontraindication
Regarding Penny Arcade
« Reply #14 on: 24 Apr 2005, 08:54 »

I'd have to say my favourite PA is the "Meat is Murder" one.

I've been a reader of PA for years, it's what got me interested in webcomics in the first place, and I don't think it's dragging on, it's still a great laugh.

passthebottle

Regarding Penny Arcade
« Reply #15 on: 24 Apr 2005, 23:27 »

I don't think they're any less funny than they've ever been.  Which is to say that they -are- funny.  Did that make sense? It's late.  Sorry.  I guess I think they're so funny because they're always up on point with what's actually going on in my life too.

The day before I read this one, i had pretty much the same conversation with my boyfriend (me - div, him - gabe).  And I just love being able to use a webcomic to rub it in his face.  The last Resident Evil one was pretty good too...

GebStar

• Furry furrier
Regarding Penny Arcade
« Reply #16 on: 25 Apr 2005, 05:06 »

Its still funny, and still delivers.
Requesting people to post their favourite PA comics.
http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2003-11-28
that slogan is a good slogan. so good, in fact, I think it should be applied to other things. like, "there's no wrong way to hit your spouse." or "there's no wrong way to commit nonconsentual sodomy."

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Regarding Penny Arcade
« Reply #17 on: 25 Apr 2005, 14:43 »

The Liar's Day strip.  On the Matter of Gay Space Frogs.  Anything Twisp and Catsby.

Winner.  At the moment.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Regarding Penny Arcade
« Reply #18 on: 30 Apr 2005, 12:41 »

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
Regarding Penny Arcade
« Reply #19 on: 30 Apr 2005, 12:51 »

That comic invokes an insane amount of "Oh that sucks."
Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

Druid

Regarding Penny Arcade
« Reply #20 on: 30 Apr 2005, 17:19 »

This is my favorite if only because it shows my birthday, and that was the way it was, minus the surly part.

captainawesome

Regarding Penny Arcade
« Reply #21 on: 01 May 2005, 06:21 »

Quote from: ironoxide887
Okay I'm a big dumb idiot. Upon reading the newspost, I have realized that this is actually a pretty funny joke. I'm now gleed, look and see my glee.

No worries, I sorta fell for the one where they were suing other video game comics, for about 20 minutes, only to be told by about 40 people that I'm retarded.

Ruskin

Regarding Penny Arcade
« Reply #22 on: 01 May 2005, 18:18 »

GebStar

• Furry furrier
Regarding Penny Arcade
« Reply #23 on: 02 May 2005, 00:11 »

^
Is one of my favourite comics, but none of my friends get it cause I'm the only person who has any idea on what the punchline means.

Another favourite
http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2004-06-14

Quote from: Druid
This is my favorite if only because it shows my birthday, and that was the way it was, minus the surly part.

Which one is your birthday? i was born on the 13th, and my mate was born on the 12th.

Druid

Regarding Penny Arcade
« Reply #24 on: 02 May 2005, 05:40 »

The 12th.
The drunk day. :)

Freezey

Regarding Penny Arcade
« Reply #25 on: 02 May 2005, 17:57 »

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2001-04-16&res=l

I also love any of the Fruit Fucker ones.

sketchyjoe

• Balloon animal serial killer
Regarding Penny Arcade
« Reply #26 on: 03 May 2005, 13:15 »

Quote from: Socky
I'd have to say my favourite PA is the "Meat is Murder" one.
That's probably my favourite.
Limber limp with a dry martini

Until....

jarofflies

Regarding Penny Arcade
« Reply #27 on: 12 May 2005, 21:36 »

Quote from: captainawesome

No worries, I sorta fell for the one where they were suing other video game comics, for about 20 minutes, only to be told by about 40 people that I'm retarded.

Same here, I feel your pain. I did it in front of the entire PvP forum(before it died and was reborn)..*sob*

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Regarding Penny Arcade
« Reply #28 on: 14 May 2005, 16:46 »

Quote from: jarofflies
Quote from: captainawesome

Same here, I feel your pain. I did it in front of the entire PvP forum(before it died and was reborn)..*sob*

Let us all feel that we're idiots, and throw a pity parade.
Heh, pity parade, that'd be fun. All of the Marching Bands would be replaced by whiny emo bands that take themselves too seriously.

Then we could sacrifice them to... somthing. (Them being the emo bands)

Garcin

Regarding Penny Arcade
« Reply #29 on: 18 May 2005, 15:21 »

I think people tend to think that PA is on the decline because their archive is insanely deep.  People tend to remember their 100 favorites and then criticize PA when they don't consistently bring the funny.  I've looked through their archive enough times to know that they were always a mix of insanely-escoteric-computer-game-industry-, scatophile-, linguaphile-, casual-gamer-, and sado- humor.  So only a few people are likely to find every comic hilarious.  

That being said, Mike Krahulik (Gabe) is one of the very few webcomic authors whose artwork consistently evolves (and improves) over time.  Reminds you of someone else, doesn't it?  Although some of my other favorites have rarely shown a jot of change in artwork, and are still excellent.  I would like to take this opportunity to announce "Moiche's Law of Webcomics": "All excellent webcomics have art that develops until it reaches an optimal level of stylization."

Re: favorite PA, I have so many favorites, but I had to pick one right now it would be this one.

--Moiche

P.S. Don't mean to troll, but I suspect that webcomic artists prefer posting links to strips in their (revenue generating) archives, rather than posting (copyright breaching) copies of their strips to tribute threads in others site's forums.  Just a suspicion, since I am not a webcomic artist (or a troll).

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Regarding Penny Arcade
« Reply #30 on: 18 May 2005, 16:22 »

Ah, memories.  I am rather hard pressed to not find a comic that amuses me but then some have called me easily amused.

Also I don't really see that as being a troll.  I agree.  There may even be the  chance that someone is on dial-up.

TrueNeutral

Regarding Penny Arcade
« Reply #31 on: 20 May 2005, 09:33 »

THIS has got to be my favourite ever.

BusterKeaton

Wing Wong
« Reply #32 on: 25 May 2005, 12:37 »

I really admire penny arcade, A very simple format, They can get out a really funny punchline in three small panels, And that takes great skill, You can say there going down the hill and "not as funny as they used to be" but they still put out hilarious comics in short time, Somebody compared penny arcade to the simpsons, Which i think is moronic, The first few seasons of simpsons sucked, Simple gags a town full of sterotypes etc, But it took a while before simpsons really hit its stride and become the temple of pop-culture satire and ridicule it is now, The characters have pushed but not broken stereotypes which is genius because like it or not everyone can be reduced to a stereotype, I think penny arcade is much the same it didnt take that long before they really figured out how the mechanics of what they had created exactly worked and how to exploit that knowledge to really efficiently make us laugh our asses off

Sideways

Regarding Penny Arcade
« Reply #33 on: 25 May 2005, 12:48 »

Ok, so you think comparing Penny Arcade to the Simpsons is 'Moronic'...

...Somebody compared penny arcade to the simpsons, Which i think is moronic...

but then you directly compare Penny Arcade to the Simpsons:

...I think penny arcade is much the same it didnt take that long before they really figured out ...

So what am I to think about your post then?

That's the problem with ranting, my friend... sometimes you lose track of the point you were trying to make.
Pages: [1]   Go Up