THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 12:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: my cover of death cab - tiny vessels  (Read 5713 times)

Mikendher

my cover of death cab - tiny vessels
« on: 19 Apr 2005, 08:48 »

hey, so this is the first time i've ever recorded anything. i have nothing in terms of equipment, just a mic and a guitar. that's why the quality is terrible. but i'd like constructive criticism please.

http://66.30.2.26/website/transfer/Michael%20Jermyn%20-%20Tiny%20Vessels%20(Death%20Cab%20For%20Cutie%20Cover).mp3

It's a cover of tiny vessels, originally by death cab for cutie

jal-vani

« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2005, 09:19 »

blast my computer at work not having speakers. i'll give it a listen when i get home.

24_hour_revenge_therapy

« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2005, 12:25 »

ok, so, that was good.  i liked it.  i liked your voice, it fit well with the song.  it had an ethereal quality that i thought was nice.  the main criticism i would have is the fact that it was just one acoustic guitar.  me, personally, i like a little more substance, even if it is just another guitar.  that one guitar sounded so...lonely.  but i understand that it was probably just you making this.  

but, overall, i thought it was a really good cover.  btw, i happen to like bad recording sounds.  i think they add a certain depth.  one of my favorite records of all time is a billy holiday vinyl from 1960-something (it's a reissue) that i picked up at a garage sale for 2 bucks.  it's all hissy and poppy and sounds like she was singing through a tin can.  it's great.

ASturge

« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2005, 12:30 »

Thats one of the pluses for in teh aeroplane over the sea.

Its a bit hissy and a bit rough, but it just adds to the overall greatness.

ASturge

« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2005, 13:12 »

well, i figured that if its a music thread where a dude's posted his own music, i may as well post mine. feel free to ignore it though, since its Mikendher's thread.

http://www.purevolume.com/alexsturgess

the only one that i like is "pass me by"
two of em are emo bullshit and "hentai movement" is some sort of wrok song =/

Mikendher

« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2005, 18:14 »

ASturge: I like the vocals a lot. But there is far too much reverb. I don't know if that is natural or added, but if it's natural try recording in a different room or  location in the room (you don't want a wall right behind you and you don't want to be in the center of the room). Pass me by is pretty good, but I feel like it must sound really good normally (without all the reverb). But this is coming from me, and I am still a beginner at recording.

24_hour_revenge_therapy: There are more than 1 guitar track, 2 to be exact. I just recorded over myself. If you meant more than one type of guitar, then yeah I only have one, sorry.

Thanks for the comments :-)

ASturge

« Reply #6 on: 20 Apr 2005, 01:29 »

aaaaw, but i like reverb!

yeah, i know it mangles the vocals, but it sounds SO cool ^_^

id say that you do need another guitar an yours (or some REVEEEEERB) to just give it a bit of texture.

Sturge

« Reply #7 on: 20 Apr 2005, 01:39 »

No alex, reverb bad, very bad, bad.

It also annoys me more.

grrrrr.

Mikendher

« Reply #8 on: 20 Apr 2005, 08:32 »

In general I think it's better to get your original sound as good as possible. Effects should be very minor and only an afterthought really. That's my opinion.

dako

« Reply #9 on: 24 Apr 2005, 21:59 »

I like it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up