THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 00:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I guess I'm a composer now  (Read 6687 times)

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
I guess I'm a composer now
« on: 20 Apr 2005, 16:54 »

today, I put the finishing touches on an original composition, saved the MIDI version to CD, and brought it home. It's called "Binary."

it's a minimalist composition for two pianos, two marimbas, a string section, two wood blocks and a clarinet, and I am intensely proud of it. So proud, that I want to swagger around and shout the news to the world through a megaphone, wearing naught but my posing pants.

I'd kinda like to post it somewhere, but my grasp of copyright law is a little shakey, so I probably won't.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

blindsuperhero

« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2005, 16:58 »

Copyright in what sense? You don't want people ripping you off or you don't want people knowing you ripped them off?

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2005, 17:04 »

don't want to be ripped off.

If I'm honest, the works borrows quite heavily from both Steve Reich and Phillip glass, except being based around quite a melodic pentatonic motif, so it's original enough to pass for mine.

24_hour_revenge_therapy

« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr 2005, 18:28 »

hey, congratulations.  i know i feel the same way every time i finish a short story.  can't imagine how i'll feel if i ever get around to writing a novel.  

and, i would be careful, at least until you get a copywrite.  the music industry is replete with stories of ripped off compositions and stolen royalties.

FruitKat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2005, 18:31 »

Yay for swaggering and shouting!
Good on youuuuu!
I really wanna start composing... I really should... Definitely should... I will... Maybe...

GO YOU!

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #5 on: 20 Apr 2005, 19:24 »

If you are lucky enough to live in Canada, the minute you click "save" then you have a copyright on it.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
« Reply #6 on: 20 Apr 2005, 19:37 »

I enjoy composing. I've had an affinity for piano miniatures as of late. I also have a top secret project I'm working on
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

yipjumpmusic

« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2005, 00:38 »

Oh really ForteBass...*alerts sexy ninja women*

Hmm yeah copyright laws...same here, I would share more and have with a few individuals seemingly trust worthy but yeah...don't live in canada...

here is one site for some rights though don't think completely...but maybe it will work for you...

http://creativecommons.org/learn/artistscorners/musicians#archive

Anyone know of anything better I'd love to hear about it.

24_hour_revenge_therapy

« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2005, 00:45 »

yipjumpmusic

« Reply #9 on: 21 Apr 2005, 02:20 »

Hmm thanks...only thing I see I am unsure of if you can only send in one cd a time, thereby paying the 30 per cd....guess I'll worry about that when I have that much material completed...and I wonder if doing it this way and ever getting with a label if that would make it a hassle with handling rights and all that...*Shrugs* I am paranoid and ignorant.  Not that I plan to anytime soon or that anyone would take me ;)

24_hour_revenge_therapy

« Reply #10 on: 21 Apr 2005, 02:25 »

hey, you gotta TRY!!  worst thing in the world would be too look back and say "man, i shoulda..."  if they reject you, at least you'll KNOW.

yipjumpmusic

« Reply #11 on: 21 Apr 2005, 02:48 »

Yeah I know...but it's a big worry about picking the right one and not losing all creative freedom not to mention maybe the rights...there are some good labels out there but since I will be picky it will be less likely this guy who has no idea what he is doing will get picked and most bands get picked from being seen at shows, rarely from music samples sent in, so I hear.  Once I start finishing my 30+ partial songs, then I'll see if I have something worth sending to labels but yeah, can't hurt to try either way.

(That goes for switchblade too ;) *had to connect topic starter somehow or I feel like I am redirecting topic heh*)

24_hour_revenge_therapy

« Reply #12 on: 21 Apr 2005, 03:09 »

THAT'S RIGHT!!!  *applauds switchblade*  good work!

sorry.  didn't mean to go off topic,

yipjumpmusic

« Reply #13 on: 21 Apr 2005, 03:10 »

heh nah we got links out there to help and besides, not sure where else the thread will go now unless we were able to hear switchblades' stuff

Robbo

« Reply #14 on: 21 Apr 2005, 03:58 »

Gotta love the goldmine this place is. So, when will I be able to get a copy of your work illegally from the internet?

In other news, congrats man.

lofin

« Reply #15 on: 21 Apr 2005, 09:47 »

Quote from: Switchblade
don't want to be ripped off.

If I'm honest, the works borrows quite heavily from both Steve Reich and Phillip glass, except being based around quite a melodic pentatonic motif, so it's original enough to pass for mine.

I really dig the minimalist/pulse composers, you should post your music asap! :D  (after you figure out the copyright stuff or whatever)

Listen to much Terry Riley? pretty good stuff too.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #16 on: 21 Apr 2005, 11:06 »

can't say I have. haven't been able to find any of his work locally.

hmmm... seems that I have to actually that it's my intellectual property in some way. that's pretty easy - I'm entering it as coursework for my music course, so it's got my name plastered all over it.

still not sure how that applies to letting people access it via the internet, though. it's not like I have my own site...

thehoopiestfrood

« Reply #17 on: 21 Apr 2005, 12:14 »

Don't forget to add a cockney middle eight!!

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #18 on: 22 Apr 2005, 09:00 »

Roundnhere, we add camels

I kid you not - our coursework projects, just to relieve the monotony, all include a random camel hidden somewhere in the work.

mine was a large number of black and white mini-camels that I used as the border to the front page of the project.
Pages: [1]   Go Up