THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 13:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just a tad late...  (Read 5800 times)

Tearon

Just a tad late...
« on: 21 Apr 2005, 21:32 »

Technicaly it's past midnight, but if you go back to yesterday (half an hour ago) for a moment, this is still valid.

35 years ago today, at 6:00 (am), Jimi Hendrix died of a drug overdose.

Three and a half decades later, no single has matched him in terms of skill or memorability.

My apologies if this has already been mentioned.

Amsterdarn

Just a tad late...
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2005, 23:00 »

I'd debate the skill bit out of principle (the joys of arguing about guitar/music being the only real principle at hand), but that would be a wanker move.  Hendrix blew the doors open on what was possible with the electric guitar; no one before or since has played like he could.  R.I.P.

Burninated Peasant

Just a tad late...
« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2005, 20:53 »

Jimi Hendix died September 18th, 1970. A lot of people seem to have connected his death to 4/20. There's also claim that 4-20 is a police code for a cannabis offence, but I don't think that's true either. There seem to be a lot of misconceptions about this, so:

4:20 is seen internationally as the best time of day to burn a spliff. so on April 20th (4/20), many people who're into pot make a point to get high for the whole day.

Amsterdarn

Just a tad late...
« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2005, 21:50 »

Well, I feel a bit dumb now.

Burninated Peasant

Just a tad late...
« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2005, 22:07 »

I think it's a fairly common bit of incorrect knowledge. Kinda like Charles Manson trying out for the Monkees (he was in prison at the time).

jus

Just a tad late...
« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2005, 14:56 »

Quote from: Burninated Peasant
Jimi Hendix died September 18th, 1970. A lot of people seem to have connected his death to 4/20. There's also claim that 4-20 is a police code for a cannabis offence, but I don't think that's true either. There seem to be a lot of misconceptions about this, so:

4:20 is seen internationally as the best time of day to burn a spliff. so on April 20th (4/20), many people who're into pot make a point to get high for the whole day.

4:20 is recognized as the best time of the day to burn a spliff. I favor it as well, position of the sun and all. The smoke comes out nice.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Just a tad late...
« Reply #6 on: 23 Apr 2005, 17:50 »

Yeah, no time like 4 in the morning for a phat joint.

[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Just a tad late...
« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2005, 18:53 »

Is it not maybe more likely to be that that's the time kids get home from school, rather than any light conditions?

Also, I'd like to point out this doesn't happen in my eminently sensible country, as the date over here was 20/4
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

jus

Just a tad late...
« Reply #8 on: 23 Apr 2005, 19:05 »

Well, it is a sensible time to smoke pot. I've probably smoked my fair share in my time. You can't smoke in the morning because you have too much to get done... although I know a remarkable few individuals who lead surprisingly productive lives in a perpetual haze of pot smoke. A joint at 4/20, a quick (and large dinner), and you'll be fine to deal with whatever you have to do at night.

In Manila where I spent most of my youth, we do the Spanish siesta thing around 4/20, nap or joint... really up to you. But this doesn't really have anything to do with music, does it?

blindsuperhero

Just a tad late...
« Reply #9 on: 23 Apr 2005, 19:11 »

Quote from: Awkward Silence
If it was from greatest to least in England, wouldn't it be 2005/20/4?

What? Think about it, will you.

Days are shorter than months
Months are shorter than years

If we're putting things in any sensible order, you would either end up with:
2005-04-20 (the most logical and sensible way of representing dates, in order of significance)
or
20-04-2005 (how they're represented in England)

04-20-2005 has absolutely nothing going for it

loyalpeon

• Emoticontraindication
Just a tad late...
« Reply #10 on: 23 Apr 2005, 19:54 »

Quote from: blindsuperhero
If we're putting things in any sensible order, you would either end up with:
2005-04-20 (the most logical and sensible way of representing dates, in order of significance)
or
20-04-2005 (how they're represented in England)

ok - mathematically, maybe I might accept that the American way is logical, but phonetically it isn't - think about it. if someone asks for your date of birth you wouldn't answer: 2005, April the 25th. You would answer: The 25th of April, 2005 (and if you could answer having been born then you would be quite a gifted individual too)...

so yeah, they're both ok? ok? - now let us never bring up diferences from across the ocean and make fun of each other for them till...

Quote from: Awkward Silence
...It's 4:20 in the afternoon.

... now. May i point out that when you write 4.20 to an european (especially one that spends most of his life at night), that means 4.20am. 16.20 otherwise ;) - just saying i understand your confusion Khar hehe

.loyal.
So I gave the cookies you made to Fawn and the kids, and they couldn't believe it. They were delicious. But I digress... Tremble, puny Earthlings! One day my race will destroy you all!
Pages: [1]   Go Up