THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 17:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: that show SUCKED!!  (Read 24525 times)

24_hour_revenge_therapy

that show SUCKED!!
« on: 22 Apr 2005, 13:48 »

so, i was reading through the "dream show" and "what was the last show" and i started thinking about the WORST show i had ever been too.  had to have been this From autumn to ashes/atreyu show i went to.  

first off, a disclaimer.  i HATE atreyu.  always have.  every time i read some rant on tight panted, lip-ringed, assholes, i think of atreyu.  their sound, their look, their attitude...bleah.  

however, i kinda liked FATA.  not "OMG THEY ROCK" like, but their first cd was alright, it had a few songs on it i dug, so i thought, "eh, why not".  

i got there, and it cost $17 US to get in.  that should have tipped me off, immediately.  but no, i'm stupid and masochistic. i blame my mother.

so, we get there, and i'm just kinda waiting around, and the opening acts do their thing, which sucks.  and then, FATA gets on.  ok, i'm getting kinda stoked.  until they start to play.  dear lord, they're terrible.  like, awful.  they seem to have spent more time getting their hair done than they have practicing how to play their instruments.  their lead singer sounds like a prepubescent, hungover frog.  and then, halfway through their set, their lead singer says, and i quote, "yeah, i'm gonna have a smoke." and gets off stage.  their drummer gets up and starts to sing.  

what?  NO.  you do not get a SMOKE BREAK IN THE MIDDLE OF YOUR SET.  you do NOT get to leave for FIFTEEN MINUTES to drink beer and hit on the strippers you let backstage for free.  you FUCKWIT.

as i left the venue, i passed a girl, who was singing along to all the songs, and crying.  yeah.  

so, whats the worst show you've ever been too?  doesn't have to be a band you love, or hate.  just a band that sucked, at least for one night.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #1 on: 22 Apr 2005, 13:51 »

Hahaha. OUCH!

Atreyu sucks so hard. As does FATA. I saw then with Alkaline Trio a few years back. Don't even get me started on that crowd!
I like the way you work it.

24_hour_revenge_therapy

that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2005, 13:56 »

oh lord.  yeah, you know there are a few bands i LOVE, like alkaline trio, and who's fans, for the most part, i HATE.  i just want to grab them and scream "YOUR SIXTEEN!!!  LIFE IS GREAT!!! SHUT YOUR WHINY PIEHOLE, YOU DEGENERATE, MISBEGOTTEN SCUM!!"  they just ruin the experience for me.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2005, 14:04 »

Heehee. I officially love you.

The crowd definately does ruin some shows, especially a little more mainstream punk bands, like Alk3. But hell, I had Matt and Dan right infront of me, so I shoved the emo girls back and yelled along to Clavicle at the top of my lungs!

Robbo

that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2005, 14:14 »

Probably the last of the three times I saw Sikth. First two times they where on support, it was pre-album and it was a fun gig, not my usual shit, but I enjoyed and the other bands where good as well (can't be arsed to remember who they where at this moment).

Then, saw them head line after the album came out, mainly because it was cheap. Yeah, big mistake. Crappy support in the form of Hope Of The States, but Mahumodo where great, to the dozen or so people that actually cared. Then Sikth...just plain crappy, no energy, butchering an Iron Maiden song, lots of album tracks that where all horrible and then cutting the set short by about 30 minutes because they felt like it.

Worse than any pub gig ever. Because they've always been decent.

Willis

that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2005, 14:35 »

Way back in the day I went and saw Cracker/Gin Blossoms/Spin Doctors.
Cracker was good, Gin Blossoms were better, and the Spin Doctors....welll....yeah.  We decided to stay to hear "Two Princes" but even once they started to play that we're like "lets get outta here."  From what I remember, quite a number of others felt the same way.

~~Willis

rynne

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Hey, nice marmot!
that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2005, 15:37 »

The second time I saw GYBE! (as the exclaimation was still end back then), it was the most boring thing ever.

I liked 'em the first time, but the second time, it just seemed interminable.  Brooding music... still brooding...  getting louder... really loud...  now back too brooding....  Repeat 15-20 times.  *Yawn*
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

Signum_Tenebrae

that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #7 on: 22 Apr 2005, 15:39 »

I once saw a band here at a local show, I don't remember their name, but their singer was a fat ass highschool kid, looked like he was about 16. . wearing a denim vest with Korn and Staind patches on it.  They proceeded to play horrible, generic, boring, and ugly death metal, and they played a shitty cover of a Six Feet Under song and also one of a shitty Sepultura song.

Not to mention the vocalist had a piece of equipment that lowered his voice an octave to give him the death-metal growl.

Robbo

that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #8 on: 22 Apr 2005, 15:42 »

Dear god that sounds like a horrible show. And a Six Feet Under cover....ugh.

Signum_Tenebrae

that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #9 on: 22 Apr 2005, 15:47 »

Quote from: Robbo
Dear god that sounds like a horrible show. And a Six Feet Under cover....ugh.

Yeah, it was bad.  I almost got up and left, but I hadn't seen the band who I had come to see yet.

24_hour_revenge_therapy

that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #10 on: 22 Apr 2005, 15:48 »

i second robbo on that one.  yuck.

willis: thats what you get for going to a spin doctors show.  let it be a lesson to you. ;)

skibas, that's the way to do it.  don't let the little bastards get you down.  though, i will say, it DOES remind me of another crappy show i went to.  rise against.  they were great.  it was the crowd that ruined it for me.  a bunch of twelve year old kids (i'm not exaggerating that age, either) acting like retards.  i got through about half of the show before i just gave up and left.  stupid little shits.

LightThievesAll

• Obscure cultural reference
    • http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~ajohnsto
that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #11 on: 22 Apr 2005, 15:49 »

I saw a lot of shitty shows in high school, where one good band played, and everyone else sucked whale dong.  In those situations, I would slamdance like a maniac just to be an asshole.  Since I was the only hardcore type at most of the shows, kids thought I was insane.  Skankin' bastards.

Just to fuck with people, my friend's band used to do covers, but tell the crowd they were different songs.  He'd say, "here's one by Saves the Day" and then play "Skulls" by the Misfits.  Another time he announced the song as an Alkaline Trio song, but then played "Nervous Breakdown" by Flag.  Since the people at these shows tended to know nothing about punk, they'd invariably walk up and tell him they were psyched to here a Saves the Day cover, even know they'd never heard the song before.  Morons.

The only man who can get away with an onstage smoke break is Lemmy.  He can pretty much do anything and it still rocks.
Everybody needs to believe in something.  I believe I'll have another beer.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #12 on: 22 Apr 2005, 15:49 »

Were they opening for Alexisonfire? Because that would explain it.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Robbo

that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #13 on: 22 Apr 2005, 15:53 »

Yeah, having to sit though shitty support acts/other bands is always annoying.

When I saw local Thrash band Mass Hysteria at a Battle of the Bands thing. Had to sit through a Brand New sound alike called Thirtreen. After the gigs, the words where, "so, what did everyone thing of Brand New, sorry Thirteen?"

That and two iffy Post-Hardcore bands but they could have been FAR worse. A high point was someone doing a dive of the ringpost in the MH set though (it was in a boxing club). As they used the ring as the stage, what better place to dive from?

24_hour_revenge_therapy

that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #14 on: 22 Apr 2005, 15:55 »

Quote from: LightThievesAll

The only man who can get away with an onstage smoke break is Lemmy.  He can pretty much do anything and it still rocks.

agreed.  i would make a comment on having him canonized when he dies, but everyone knows he's immortal.  he is the last highlander.

chromewaves

that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #15 on: 22 Apr 2005, 16:02 »

Quote from: Willis
Way back in the day I went and saw Cracker/Gin Blossoms/Spin Doctors.
Cracker was good, Gin Blossoms were better, and the Spin Doctors....welll....yeah.  We decided to stay to hear "Two Princes" but even once they started to play that we're like "lets get outta here."  From what I remember, quite a number of others felt the same way.

~~Willis

Oh man, I saw that same tour in Toronto.  And agreed, Cracker/Gin Blossoms good, Spin Doctors... well, I try not to admit that I ever actually paid to see them.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #16 on: 22 Apr 2005, 19:53 »

Quote from: 24_hour_revenge_therapy
it was the crowd that ruined it for me.  a bunch of twelve year old kids (i'm not exaggerating that age, either) acting like retards.  i got through about half of the show before i just gave up and left.  stupid little shits.

Yah, it's not the fact that they're young  that bothers me, its the fact that they're not moshing, but shoving. And not even in a "punk show" type of way. Just annoying shoving me stomach fist into the baracade.  Also yelling RETARDED emo (FATA) lyrics in my ears off-key also doesn't make me much happier.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #17 on: 22 Apr 2005, 20:00 »

Q And Not U were interminably boring, but I'm going to plump for the last time I saw Le Tigre. Now, I really like Le Tigre. I even thought the new album, though weak politically, was a really good party record and had some great songs. But god... the fucking arseholes their gigs attract. After the third person who I'd been lightly knocked into by the crowd (I myself was just moving a very small amount on the spot) got arsey with me basically because I was male and had the gall to be pushed into brushing against them or stepping on their foot I was ready to kill someone. I hate big gigs, I'm going to stick to my DIY for a while. Hardly any wankers at a DIY gig.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

GebStar

• Furry furrier
that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #18 on: 22 Apr 2005, 22:35 »

It wasn't a show Perse, but i saw Eskimo Joe do a set at a CD store a while ago, i stayed for one song, and when some little emo shit throwed up the horns i left.
I walked out on Machine Gun Fellatio at Cockatoo Island, (a new music festival on an island in sydney) they just seemed flat to me and the people around me weren't helping, so i left.
Quote from: Trollstormur
that slogan is a good slogan. so good, in fact, I think it should be applied to other things. like, "there's no wrong way to hit your spouse." or "there's no wrong way to commit nonconsentual sodomy."

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #19 on: 23 Apr 2005, 00:08 »

I actually can't think of a way MGF could make their set not boring.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Sturge

that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #20 on: 23 Apr 2005, 02:45 »

Atreyu stopped me seeing Norma Jean, as they supported Atreyu, so I thought "no, I refuse to go as it will be swarmed with 15 year old kids being 'hardcore'.

My friend went, I was right, I was safe 8)

Worst gig was probably Circle Takes the Square, the first time I saw them they were awesome, but the 2nd time they were in a crappy venue (I have no idea why they put it on there, AT ALL) then of course one of the 'cool scene kids' was 'being cool' at the front of the stage (it was floor level and there was no barrier, basically just an area cleared for the bands) and he knocked the mic over, which yanked it out of the PA, which happened to break, so there was only half vocals for the whole set :(

fucking scenesters.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #21 on: 23 Apr 2005, 04:09 »

Dillinger Escape Plan, supported by Poison the Well and Ephel Duath.

The concert started well: Ephel Duath are really fucking great live. Most of the fake 'core bastards there didn't 'get' them and just stood there trying to work out what the fuck they were watching, and yelling idiotic crap like "OMG PLAY SOMETHING FAST". I was up front doing crazy headbanging, got to scream into the microphone when Luciano handed it to me, and also to select a song (He asked the crowd for requests and I was one of about three people there who knew any of their songs. They played 'The Unpoetic Circle' for me and it was lovely). I immediately went and blew my merchandise budget for the evening on Ephel Duath t-shirts and badges.

Poison the Well were boring, and the whole crowd was getting into them to an annoying degree. I stood in the middle with my mate, who loves them, but as they were nigh on impossible to headbang to and I didn't know any of the words (I'd heard a total of three of their songs before, only one of which they played and I didn't even know the words to that). I was kinda at a loss. At the end, I went to the back to sit down in a filled in window frame and talk to my friends, who all loved them.

Dillinger Escape Plan....UGH. Boring, annoying, pretentious and totally undanceable. I spent most of their set reading a book by the sound-booth lights and then got into a huge argument with my best friend by enumerating the ways in which Impaled Nazarene would have put on a much better show.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #22 on: 23 Apr 2005, 07:23 »

Quote from: a pack of wolves
Q And Not U were interminably boring

what the hell?  if q and not u is boring, what is exciting?  i think you need your bore-o-meter adjusted.

anyway the weirdest thing was at plea for peace last year when darkest hour came up, then curisve after them, and there were people stagediving and trying to mosh to cursive???

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #23 on: 23 Apr 2005, 08:19 »

It was Q And Not U after they went rubbish. Mind you, it was the first gig my friend Mary ever went to in Leeds and when we met we bonded over how dull it was so that was a benefit of it. They also had support from officially the most boring band in Leeds 'That Fucking Tank'.

Exciting would be the Madman Is Absolute gig tonight, not just for Scottish heavyness but for Humanfly being one of the supports. They've finally got new songs, and they kill.
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Sturge

that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #24 on: 23 Apr 2005, 10:47 »

I take it you saw 'em at Josephs Well last year?

Bullet Union were so much better....

Though I like the synth in their new album

24_hour_revenge_therapy

that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #25 on: 23 Apr 2005, 11:14 »

Quote from: KharBevNor

Dillinger Escape Plan....UGH. Boring, annoying, pretentious and totally undanceable. I spent most of their set reading a book by the sound-booth lights and then got into a huge argument with my best friend by enumerating the ways in which Impaled Nazarene would have put on a much better show.

so, yeah, i LOVE DEP.  seriously.  i have all their albums, even the stuff they did with mike patton (especially the stuff they did with patton).  and i've seen them many times.  and yeah, they put on a TERRIBLE show.  the music is good, and that's nice, but it's pretty much everything you said.  boring, undanceable, etc.  they don't have the best stage presence.  and my "don't have the best" i mean that johnny carsons decaying corpse would have more presence.  just not that much fun.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #26 on: 23 Apr 2005, 12:09 »

Quote from: will: wanton sex god
anyway the weirdest thing was at plea for peace last year when darkest hour came up, then curisve after them, and there were people stagediving and trying to mosh to cursive???

Thats fucking retarded. That's how the Matthew Good show was. He told them off though. It made my night :)

Patatat

that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #27 on: 23 Apr 2005, 12:14 »

www.myspace.com/allisonshope

This bands show...they are so horrible.

and about DEP, I'd dance to it, just because I am so terrified of the singer.

Sturge

that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #28 on: 23 Apr 2005, 13:23 »

Yeah, he does look as if he could destroy you...

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #29 on: 23 Apr 2005, 13:35 »

I have this theory that people think that DEP are extreme/their singers really scary etc. because they have nothing to judge them against.

Because they're not extreme, and he just looks like a prannet.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

devils_daughter

that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #30 on: 23 Apr 2005, 13:44 »

My naive 13 year old self was dragged to see Wheatus by a friend for my first gig.....there are no words to describe the horror. Surprisingly I never went to another gig with her again.

ASturge

that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #31 on: 23 Apr 2005, 13:46 »

hehe, They always play that Wheatus song at our school disco thingys.

And everybody points aggresivly at the DJ during the chorus ^_^

devils_daughter

that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #32 on: 23 Apr 2005, 13:58 »

Out of sheer mercy I refuse to tell you.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #33 on: 23 Apr 2005, 14:05 »

"I'M JUST A TEEEEEENAGE DIRTBAG, BABY!"

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #34 on: 23 Apr 2005, 14:06 »

I'll try and do Wheatus justice...Imagine geek rock, yeah? Now strip it of every redeeming quality it posseses. Musicianship, witty lyrics, EVERYTHING. The primordial scum you have left is Wheatus' good points. Add in a hefty dose of Blink 182's out-take songs and you're almost there.

devils_daughter

that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #35 on: 23 Apr 2005, 14:16 »

Dude, don't..save your sanity! I swear I lost 30 IQ points the night I had to witness the atrocity that was their live "show"

ASturge

that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #36 on: 23 Apr 2005, 14:23 »

agreed, id have got an A in spanish if i hadn't heard that song at a party i went to last month.

Cpt.Fantastic

that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #37 on: 23 Apr 2005, 14:26 »

And I would have been able to concentrate more in History. That shit destroys your brain.

kikanjuuneko

that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #38 on: 23 Apr 2005, 14:28 »

Quote from: 24_hour_revenge_therapy
so, yeah, i LOVE DEP.  seriously.  i have all their albums, even the stuff they did with mike patton (especially the stuff they did with patton).  and i've seen them many times.  and yeah, they put on a TERRIBLE show.  the music is good, and that's nice, but it's pretty much everything you said.  boring, undanceable, etc.  they don't have the best stage presence.  and my "don't have the best" i mean that johnny carsons decaying corpse would have more presence.  just not that much fun.

Funny, I consider their live show the exact opposite.

Anyway, worst band I've seen on stage? Er, shit, I don't know, perhaps Rotten Sound. Now, I like Nasum-sounding grindcore as much as the next guy, but they were just boring. And the millions of fat fucking crust punks with denim jackets like hedgehogs didn't exactly help either.

blindsuperhero

that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #39 on: 23 Apr 2005, 16:16 »

Quote from: devils_daughter
My naive 13 year old self was dragged to see Wheatus by a friend for my first gig

You were 13 when Wheatus were around?! That must have been a bit longer ago than I remembered!

devils_daughter

that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #40 on: 23 Apr 2005, 16:23 »

Yeh it was a 13th birthday present (the ticket) so it's 5 years ago

Mnementh

that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #41 on: 23 Apr 2005, 16:28 »

Both Dave Matthews Band shows I've been too.  Lady friends wanted to go.  DMB can slarve my dode.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #42 on: 23 Apr 2005, 20:25 »

Quote from: Sturge
I take it you saw 'em at Josephs Well last year?

Bullet Union were so much better....

Though I like the synth in their new album

Yeah that's the one. Bullet Union were easily the best thing there, they aren't the most original band ever but that 7" on Jealous has some good rock on it.

On the subject of DEP, you can dance to them. I was doing so in a club tonight. And I love their live show, they throw themselves about with aplomb. Shame about the new album being dire though.

muffy

• Asleep in the boner patch
that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #43 on: 23 Apr 2005, 20:46 »

I saw The Seconds, which is Brian from Yeah Yeah Yeahs other band, and walked out after 3 songs. I've watched hundreds of shitty bands, but this one won the Worst Live Band ever, to the point that I couldn't actually face being in the same room as them.

Also, Athlete supporting Mansun...'Hi, we're Athlete' - 'No, you're shit'.
They deserved it, they nearly bored me to sleep,

alic3sw0nd3rland

that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #44 on: 23 Apr 2005, 21:09 »

Well considering I went to a Nickelback concert I don't think I need to give much detail. My dad made me go, but it was the well needed excuse to get an xbox. We were at summerfest if anyone knows what that is and you could see nickelback for free go figure. So my dad made me go and he said if my brother and I sat through half of the songs he'd get us an xbox.

devils_daughter

that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #45 on: 24 Apr 2005, 04:50 »

Well bribery is a good excuse for sitting through a shit concert

Praeserpium Machinarum

that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #46 on: 24 Apr 2005, 05:35 »

isn't that illegal, I mean that's ner child abuse, if I had been a policeman I would thrown your dad's arse in jail and swallowed the key...
seriously...;)

vampire duck

that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #47 on: 24 Apr 2005, 11:04 »

My mother forced me to go to a Greenday show on Halloween once.  They were promoting the American Idiot album, so they just played a bunch of shitty classic rock-inspired songs.  The worst part was the opening bands, though.  I was in the pit getting attacked by teenagers thrashing to Sugarcult and New Found Glory when I could have been out baggin free candy.  Of course, all of NFG came out in orange prison-style jumpsuits and cheap monster masks, with the singer yelling HELLOOO WEEE ARRE SLIPKNOOOOT.   Bunch of fucking savages.

passthebottle

that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #48 on: 24 Apr 2005, 12:44 »

I've never been to a show that -completely- sucked but..
I think it was a Slackers show and I had to sit through a gazillion crap ass 'ska-core' bands like catch-22 and bid d and the kid's table.  I had just gotten a (ska-influnced) tatoo on my ankle and was in pain and couldn't dance so i was already in a foul mood.  Big D gave me a migraine.  I wanted to punch them.  Hard.

Also, having to sit through New Found Glory while waiting for Green Day (who i like) sucked.  What pissed me off the most was the lead singer's voice.  It is so incredibly nasal when he sings, but when he speaks he sounds like a normal guy.  I was ripping my hair out trying figure out why you would purposfully sing like that when it's obvious you don't have to.  Blargh.

keyoung

• Plantmonster
that show SUCKED!!
« Reply #49 on: 24 Apr 2005, 13:26 »

I had the misfortune of seeing Cat Power on a VERY off-night.  Chan was so drunk/flustered/shy that she couldn't make it through a single song.  Very disappointing.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up