THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 12:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rare/Odd stuff  (Read 10237 times)

Robbo

Rare/Odd stuff
« on: 23 Apr 2005, 12:19 »

Right, between us all we've got one hell of a music collection. And from that and the joy of the internet, everyone probably has a few rare/odd tracks.

A cover a band only did three times at unadvertised fanclub shows, just down right strange versions of their songs, either only live or on some 7" that needs to be played backwards and they only maded 5 copies. Over the top, but you know what I mean. So yeah, what does everyone have. Bands can do some downright odd stuff, so what's out there?

My list will follow shortly, for your amusments.

Robbo

Rare/Odd stuff
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2005, 12:35 »

Fly Me To The Glass Moon. A Frank Sinatra impersonator doing a Sinatra style cover of Dream Theater's Under A Glass Moon. Only thing left in from the original music is the guitar solo.

A Change of Seasons (version 2). A live bootleg version from the net. The second version of ACOS, which is roughly the original Majesty song, with a few changes and vocals added.

Fatal Tragedy. Dream Theater going mad, a live version from a tour show, with the chorus line replaced with "You can eat my ass and balls!".

Ytse Jam. An all piano version of Dream Theater's insturmental classic. No idea who by either.

Machinae Supremacy - I Turn To You. Ok, a Power Metal band that uses the SID chip for effects, odd enough...but a cover of a song from a former Spice Girl...the hell?

Dark Tranquillity - Archetype. A techno track, made up of samples from their music.....

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Rare/Odd stuff
« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2005, 13:23 »

Edge of Sanity - Nothing

A mate got this off the former webmaster of EoS officially endorsed fansite, who knows Swano personally. It's an unreleased techno song Swano made that he wanted to put on Evolution, but wasn't allowed to by Black Mark. It has samples of Swano growling 'Death obsession' and a growl over and again, with hard guitar riffs and a dance beat. Pretty odd.

Overlord - Super Rocking Secret Song

The bonus track off this very underground bands second EP is actually a sludge metal cover of Girls Aloud's chart-topping pop hit 'Sound of the Underground'.

My Dying Bride - Grace Unhearing [Portishell Remix]

A My Dying Bride remix done by Portishead. Available only on the digipack re-release of 'Like Gods of the Sun' if I remember rightly. MDB also covered 'Roads'.

Skyclad - Prime Evil

The original track by Venom comes on a vinyl-only release and is hard enough to get hold of in itself, Skyclad did this version for a minor label 'Tribute to Venom' way back. They slow the song down slightly and transfer the main body of the solo and riff work onto fiddle and keyboard. A really awesome track, actually.

Eternal Tears of Sorrow - Flight of Icarus

Another obscure cover. This version of the Maiden track is remarkable for the altered lyrics, in which all reference to God have been changed to Satan, so Icarus shouts "In the name of Lord Satan I'll fly!"

Within Temptation - Gothic Christmas

I have absolutely no idea what WT release this is supposed to come from, only that it's excellent

"Rudolph, he will change his name
'Cos Rudolph just sounds pretty lame
Now we'll call him Ragnagord,
The evil Reindeer overlord"
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

devils_daughter

Rare/Odd stuff
« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2005, 13:28 »

Quote from: KharBevNor

My Dying Bride - Grace Unhearing [Portishell Remix]

A My Dying Bride remix done by Portishead. Available only on the digipack re-release of 'Like Gods of the Sun' if I remember rightly.

Yup, tis definatly on the digi-version of that album, that's one of my fav songs :)

SkySoldierEbG

Rare/Odd stuff
« Reply #4 on: 23 Apr 2005, 16:31 »

I don't know how rare this is, but it is pretty odd. Pantera (the thrash/speed metal band that brought Dimebag Darrel and Phil Anselmo to metal glory) was into hair/glam metal in the 80s, recorded some albums which are now only available as used vinyl, changed their style, and promptly disavowed any and all involvement with hair metal.

But I have my hands on a few tracks... "We'll Meet Again," "Forever Tonight," and "P.S.T. '88'" which has no lyrics....but isnt' an instrumental...and yeah, that's a different story altogether. --"

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Rare/Odd stuff
« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2005, 16:33 »

Pantera used to totally deny all that, it's one of the worst kept secrets in heavy metal. Man, have you seen the photos? Dimebag looks like Fred Flintstone.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Robbo

Rare/Odd stuff
« Reply #6 on: 23 Apr 2005, 16:36 »

And you know what, some of it wasn't actually that bad, THAT's the scary thing.

Super Dave

Rare/Odd stuff
« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2005, 17:51 »

A wierd thing I found out not too long ago, is the band Nevermore
covered a Simon & Garfunkel song called "The Sound Of Silence".
Even wierder, it's a really good cover (IMO)

Robbo

Rare/Odd stuff
« Reply #8 on: 23 Apr 2005, 17:53 »

I've got that track, I like it.

muffy

• Asleep in the boner patch
Rare/Odd stuff
« Reply #9 on: 23 Apr 2005, 19:55 »

Tilly and the Wall covering Hey Ya!
and Cursive covering Kelis' 'Milkshake'...

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
Rare/Odd stuff
« Reply #10 on: 23 Apr 2005, 20:17 »

The Send More Paramedics demo, which has easily their best songs 'Redneck Holiday' and '245 Trioxin' on it, which for some unfathomable reason they didn't record for their debut album. The songs aren't odd but missing them off the album, particularly since they were the ones they played again as an encore at their first gig and were always live favourites, is.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

OtterErotic

Rare/Odd stuff
« Reply #11 on: 23 Apr 2005, 21:09 »

Rare things I actually own:

*The first Dismemberment Plan 7"

*The Neutral Milk Hotel "Holland, 1945" picture disc

*Interpol's first, self-released CDEP

*The Avalanches' first CDEP

*The Guided by Voices / Girls Against Boys split CDEP

*The Breeders 10" vinyl EP where they cover Sebadoh's "The Freed Pig"

*Hella's CD demo

*Every Tortoise 7"

Jesus, I am such an indie fuxx0r

GebStar

• Furry furrier
Rare/Odd stuff
« Reply #12 on: 23 Apr 2005, 22:53 »

Will Smith - Willenium .......
not that rare...but i think I'm one of the only people who would admit to owning it, that is definitely a rarity.
Quote from: Trollstormur
that slogan is a good slogan. so good, in fact, I think it should be applied to other things. like, "there's no wrong way to hit your spouse." or "there's no wrong way to commit nonconsentual sodomy."

jus

Rare/Odd stuff
« Reply #13 on: 23 Apr 2005, 23:02 »

Quote from: GebStar
Will Smith - Willenium .......
not that rare...but i think I'm one of the only people who would admit to owning it, that is definitely a rarity.

"We're gonna party like it's nineteen nine-ty... HOLD UP- It IS!"

...classic. I think my sister owned that CD... yes, my sister.

A friend sent me a recording of David Grohl singing Elton John's "Tiny Dancer" at a concert. I actually liked his rendition of said song.

Baalzebub

Rare/Odd stuff
« Reply #14 on: 24 Apr 2005, 19:11 »

The only things I have which might be rare would be hidding in my vinyl collection.

Swans -  Saved 7 inch release

I picked this up at some market in Bath a couple years ago, only cost me 3 pounds, its worth minimum of 50 dollars. (only problem is the sleeves a bit damaged) I'm also kind of sad I own the 12 inch version too.

A couple Controlled Bleeding Singles on vinyl, which i picked up for about 5 pounds each. Yet I know are actually rather hard to find.

I think thats about it, yet it is 3 am. So I can't remeber anythingelse.
Probably the odd demo cd, promotional vinyls i shouldnt have.

Burninated Peasant

Rare/Odd stuff
« Reply #15 on: 24 Apr 2005, 19:23 »

Quote from: Baalzebub
The only things I have which might be rare would be hidding in my vinyl collection.

Swans -  Saved 7 inch release

*drools*

Baalzebub

Rare/Odd stuff
« Reply #16 on: 24 Apr 2005, 20:00 »

Atleast someone is intrested by my swans collection.

I also have a couple swans posters I bought.

I even got a signed note from jarboe, woop, ok now i'm blowing my own horn. I'll stop this now before I look like a fool.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
Rare/Odd stuff
« Reply #17 on: 25 Apr 2005, 00:37 »

Someone told me that Modest Mouse's song Jawbreaker is rare. Not so much with mp3's, I'm sure.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

salada

• Curry sauce
Re: Rare/Odd stuff
« Reply #18 on: 25 Apr 2005, 07:08 »

Quote from: Robbo
Right, between us all we've got one hell of a music collection.

since everyone who reads qc likes music, and everyone likes good music, then... oh man. how good would it be if we could somehow smoosh all our music collections into one megacollection. that would be so rad.

anyway, i don't think i've got anything rare. well, there is a bit of glitch/metal-and-drumnbass stuff. from newcastle. on vinyl and individually numbered CDRs. but you know, not indie, .'. no cred.

MilkmanDan

Rare/Odd stuff
« Reply #19 on: 25 Apr 2005, 07:29 »

glitch/metal-and-drumnbass?
I am now extremely interested. Give me teh details!

rynne

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Hey, nice marmot!
Rare/Odd stuff
« Reply #20 on: 25 Apr 2005, 07:42 »

I've got an Angels of Light CD personally signed by Michael Gira.  (Not that it's really rare; he signs every AoL or Swans release you order from Young God Records.  Very nice thing to do, really).

I've also got #605/1000 of Psychic TV's Themes, Pt. 1.  And one of the Blur Tenth Anniversary Box Sets, which is 22 discs with every single and B-side they released in their first ten years of existence.  Oh, and a vinyl test-pressing of NIN's Head Like a Hole single.

Quote from: OtterErotic
*The first Dismemberment Plan 7"

Oh my god, one time I was watching Dismemberment Plan, and this guy in the audience was obnoxiously requesting a song off that single.  And between songs, Travis turned to the audience and said something like, "Yeah, I know this guy.  Before the show, I told him, 'You know that song from our first release that nobody knows, back when we weren't really that good?  I think it'd be really cool if you shouted for it in the middle of the set.'"  :D
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

El Opium

Rare/Odd stuff
« Reply #21 on: 25 Apr 2005, 08:48 »

I'm not a huge person for rareities and stuff but scarcity is proportional to how many people want something in the first place. Perhaps noteable:
copy #63 of the limited version of the Wren's Meadowlands.
copy #2 of Hair Police's Rattlers Echo 3" CD-R

I have quite a few LPs were they only made 500, 1000 or less but they're generally experimental fare were only about that number of people would be interested anyway. Quite a few art edition CD-Rs I could probably get a fair few bux for if I sold em too but they're kinda artificially scarce.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Rare/Odd stuff
« Reply #22 on: 25 Apr 2005, 10:47 »

Oooh.

My copy of Angelspit's 'Nurse Grenade' EP has a signed letter from the band stating that I rock. Twice.

ASturge

Rare/Odd stuff
« Reply #23 on: 25 Apr 2005, 10:58 »

i've got alot of bootleg Neutral Milk Hotel live recordings and alot of Bootleg Decemberists recordings along with an ass kicking colin meloy show from chicago. You can guarentee ill be recording the whole thing when they tour the UK.

Praeserpium Machinarum

Rare/Odd stuff
« Reply #24 on: 25 Apr 2005, 12:16 »

I have a compact disc version of Hail to the Thief, which I managed to disrepair a bit only a few days after I got for Christmas, go me!
But that's all I have that is even remotely rare/odd

blindsuperhero

Rare/Odd stuff
« Reply #25 on: 25 Apr 2005, 12:32 »

What, the Radiohead album?

Praeserpium Machinarum

Rare/Odd stuff
« Reply #26 on: 25 Apr 2005, 12:36 »

aye, the one

blindsuperhero

Rare/Odd stuff
« Reply #27 on: 25 Apr 2005, 13:47 »

I don't understand how that's rare

applecart

Rare/Odd stuff
« Reply #28 on: 25 Apr 2005, 15:05 »

copy #2 of Hair Police's Rattlers Echo 3" CD-R

damn, that's completely awesome

I have Keith Fullerton Whitman's old noise punk band 12" on rrrrecords, been out of print for a while

I also have everyhting The Oliva Tremor Control has ever put out, seriously everything.

ummm....Pere Ubu's The Modern Dance Italian 1st pressing
Disco Mortem: a 500 copy only boxset of 3 split noise/experimental 7'' including the grey wolves and merzbow

The Residents Kettle of Fish boxset
Emo Philips E=MO2 comedy 12", first pressing, not really music but you know....

Also, I have about 20 national geographic flexi-vinyl recordings that used to be in back issues every so often.

John Zorn's Naked City boxed set
Merzbow's merzbox, 50 cd boxset
erstwhile records' Amplify boxed set, 6 CDs and a DVD of the avant noise festival in Japan, 2002

hurrr.....Cass Mccombs "I Cannot Lie" limited 7"
the entire Happy Happy Birthday to Me Records Singles club
ditto for the Hello 7'' singles club

that's all I can remember off the top o' me head.
Keep in touch see you next year.

mattkills

Rare/Odd stuff
« Reply #29 on: 25 Apr 2005, 23:22 »

i used to have a thing for test presses back in the day.  had quite a few of them, some limited to 3 copies.

i have lots of noise stuff that's stupid rare, but rare cause most of it is stupid.

records that are actually rare that i own...  uh...  a bunch of original big black lps?  sun city girls stuff?  a ton of obscure hardcore 7"s and lps?  rarity is in the eye of the beholder definitely though.

i used to have the mogwai 7" on wurlitzer jukebox...  sold that.  too bad too.  
i also will soon be the proud owner of the first birthday party lp...  if it is still in the record store tomorrow.  that shit is RARE.

Keith Decent

well
« Reply #30 on: 26 Apr 2005, 01:41 »

I have heard of a track from Ted Leo covering a Kelly Clarkson song, thats all i know about it, supposedly it rocks.

also you MUST go here:

http://www.myspace.com/deedeeking

Dee Dee Ramone's solo Rap Album.  SOO AWESOMELY BAD!
go go now!

Phrozen

Rare/Odd stuff
« Reply #31 on: 26 Apr 2005, 06:50 »

I have a funky lounge acoustic version of "A certain Shade of Green" by Incubus. I had it as an MP3 from a radio gig they did. My friend absolutely flipped when he heard it because he claims it doesn't exist anywhere.

Ummm... I have two or three copies of the original End Sessions CDs. For anyone who's from the greater Seattle area.

dave86

Rare/Odd stuff
« Reply #32 on: 26 Apr 2005, 07:08 »

http://www.museumofidiots.com/john/mp3s/das/

This is one for the TMBG fans out there. I'm assuming there are more than one, though i cannot back that up. This page features the utterly charming demo version of Birdhouse in your Soul.

I also bought the Less Than Jake Borders and Boundaries album with the mileage deely on the back, not available in the UK as far as I'm aware :D

madame psychosis

Rare/Odd stuff
« Reply #33 on: 26 Apr 2005, 08:13 »

doubt it's rare but it sure is strange; radiohead live in berlin on 9/11

very surreal hearing thom try and explain to the crowd what has happened and then launching into a particularily intense 'paranoid android'

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Rare/Odd stuff
« Reply #34 on: 26 Apr 2005, 10:34 »

What, so they inject actual emotion into it? Wow, that might make it just about listenable!

Cheap shot

LightThievesAll

• Obscure cultural reference
    • http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~ajohnsto
Rare/Odd stuff
« Reply #35 on: 26 Apr 2005, 10:39 »

I was in Montreal a few years ago, and as I often do, I ventured into a record store.  For the hell of it, I looked in the "e" section hoping to find some Effigies vinyl, but expected none because their albums have been out of print for years.  When I saw "Fly on a Wire", their second LP, I let out a cry of joy and had to restrain myself from skipping through the store.  That's probably the rarest thing I own.  It is oh, oh so sweet.  I got it for less than 10 bucks American, which is great considering Effigies vinyl usually goes for 30+ on ebay.

Yeah, all you people, check out the Effigies because they're the greatest punk band you've never heard of (unless you're from Chicago).
Everybody needs to believe in something.  I believe I'll have another beer.

madame psychosis

Rare/Odd stuff
« Reply #36 on: 26 Apr 2005, 11:56 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
What, so they inject actual emotion into it? Wow, that might make it just about listenable!

Cheap shot

cheap but fair!

c1utch

Rare/Odd stuff
« Reply #37 on: 26 Apr 2005, 18:29 »

Prince and Miles Davis in concert live "Miles from the Park"

Bob Marley & The Wailers 10/04/75 Reunion Concert

Bob Marley & The Wailers 1980-04-17 Rufaro Stadium, Salisbury, Zimbabwe

(We also have the apparently-rare BMW "Catch-a-fire" record album that is in the shape/style of a zippo, complete with vinyl-ruining hinges)

and the only other thing I can think of is what we have all 1 -16 of the KBCO Studio-C cds that they put out here in boulder, the ones that sell out in 2 hours.
Pages: [1]   Go Up