THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 07:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows Media Player - a silly technical question.  (Read 7191 times)

thehoopiestfrood

Is it possible to have Windows Media Player in skin mode without having anything on the taskbar. I can minimise it to the taskbar with all the little buttons and I can also minimise it to tray but I can't seem to get a combination which involves the skin being up on screen but nothing on the taskbar.

Except using FoxyTunes of course. You can hide the player but the FoxyTunes buttons are still there. That is the sort of thing I want - it all hidden everywhere apart from the skin - if it works for FoxyTunes it must be theoretically possible. Perhaps. Something like that for when I'm not using Firefox.

Like the thing for WinAmp which anchors it to the tray rather than the taskbar. That would be perfect. Does this thing exist or is it just wishful thinking?

I'm just so picky to be honest. ;)

First person to suggest I just use WinAmp loses. I've got a horrid feeling none of what I wrote actually makes sense and no one will understand what I'm asking but I might as well ask and see if it was possible.

ASturge

Windows Media Player - a silly technical question.
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2005, 12:57 »

i suggest...er................what?

Kjammer

« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2005, 13:59 »

I don't know, I stopped using Windows Media Player years ago, because It couldn't play .WAV files right (it cuts off the beginning).  That may have changed, but I still don't use it.  Also the damn thing wants to be up to date every minute, I don't like programs updating themselved with out my knowledge.  Why don't you use WinA-

oomph, gahh, unhand me! gack.
*falls over unconscious*

Druid

« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2005, 18:44 »

What version of media player and Windows?

Neo_Fallen

« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2005, 19:54 »

Well i think i know what you mean.

It depends on ur version of media player, Media player 9 could be put into skin mode but not media 10. *shrugs*

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2005, 21:33 »

My answer for nearly every WMP question: Use winamp.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr 2005, 01:02 »

you lose!

but yeah, what versions of Windows Media Player & Windows, Fi?

thehoopiestfrood

« Reply #7 on: 25 Apr 2005, 07:48 »

Media Player 9 and XP with Service Pack 2 (hopes that's what you're asking for).

And I do have WinAmp and do use it but I thought I might try and beat Microsoft into submission and see if I can actually get it to do what I want.

thehoopiestfrood

« Reply #8 on: 25 Apr 2005, 08:15 »

I've made a diagram! It probably doesn't help much...

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #9 on: 25 Apr 2005, 13:49 »

I have no idea but that is one of the most awesome desktops ever.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #10 on: 25 Apr 2005, 14:22 »

i found this: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/bppowertoys.aspx

which looks promising, but i'm in a bit of a hurry getting ready for work this morning so i can't actually find where the hell you're supposed to download it from :/

also, if that doesn't work then perhaps a more generic solution might: http://www.teamcti.com/trayit/trayit.htm

"tray it" seems to claim to put anything into the system tray.  it seems prety cool!  might actually check it out myself if i have time once i get out of the shower.

thehoopiestfrood

« Reply #11 on: 25 Apr 2005, 15:21 »

I have actually tried both of those solutions and while doing handy things, they don't actually let me do what I want. Both of those things minimize to tray (one just doing WMP but letting you control it and the other minimizing anything it can get it's hands on) but it doesn't let you carry on using media player in the skin or whatever. I'm so picky. ;) And I can't even explain it properly. The powertoy thing works pretty well as you can control it from the tray I'm still holding out for perfection. :P If FoxyTunes can do it someone should have made a PlugIn or something which will let it work. I don't know - it seems possible - maybe I'll just have to invent a way of doing it. Or go have a cup of tea. I'm split at the moment.

It's handy being able to whack things over to the tray when you don't need them though. I just really like having the least amount of things in the taskbar as possible as sometimes I have 3 whole rows of them. And this seems like one less thing I need to have there but I'd still like to have the media player skin floating over the top so I can use it quickly. I think I'm probably just going to have to bite the bullet and learn to use the WinAmp media library (which just seems to HATE me for some reason).

Thank you loads anyway! :)

And thank you Ray, I think it's pretty awesome myself. :P

thehoopiestfrood

« Reply #12 on: 25 Apr 2005, 15:24 »

Quote from: James
Yeah. Is that Black Widow?

The characters from left to right are: Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, Red Claw, Catwoman and Talia al Ghul. I think that's what you were asking but I might be wrong.

thehoopiestfrood

« Reply #13 on: 25 Apr 2005, 15:39 »

Nope - they all featured in the Animated series at one point or another, but never together. I think it was a publicity picture for the series.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #14 on: 25 Apr 2005, 19:24 »

with that tray-it thing i successfully got Firefox running maximised without having anything on the taskbar.  you have to right click the tray icon and tell it to stay there, or something.

the unfortunate thing is that when i did it it gave me two icons for it :(  i didn't have time to mess about with it any more, but hopefully it was just a quirk, otherwise the software is prety crappy :/

thehoopiestfrood

« Reply #15 on: 26 Apr 2005, 09:01 »

No, I got it doing exactly the same thing when I tried that. I ended up with a couple of icons for WMP but it would let me run it from the tray - it always kept something on the taskbar. I think I will have to admit defeat, but thank you for all the help anyway. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up