THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 00:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ryan Adams  (Read 6298 times)

SeanBateman

Ryan Adams
« on: 24 Apr 2005, 18:12 »

I just saw him at the Henry Fonda Theater two nights ago, and it occured to me that I've never seen him mentioned on these boards, and that maybe someone should bring him up. So. Thoughts? Also, he's playing Northhampton soon

coldcut

Ryan Adams
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2005, 19:10 »

I mentioned him in the biggest egotist thread.  Does that count?  

I loved Whiskeytown, but I just can't get into his newer stuff.

muffy

• Asleep in the boner patch
Ryan Adams
« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2005, 19:17 »

Ryan Adams always seemed like the kid at school who turns up looking preppy one week, and is a full scale goth/emo kid the next, exciteably claiming that's the way they've always been...
While he does some lovely songs from time to time, he changes his style more often than  he changes that dumb arsed hair cut of his in an effort to fit in, so, as a result, comes across as terribly insincere...
Also, in his new song, he tries to sound like a world-weary folk singer who spends his life on the back of motorbikes drinking whiskey and seeing the desert.
YOU'RE JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER NEW YORK HIPSTER.
DROP THE ACT AND STOP TRYING SO FUCKING HARD.

Jeez, my inner snob just struck again. Oops.

passthebottle

Ryan Adams
« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2005, 23:14 »

I get the whole "he's an ass" thing, but sometimes, if it's good enough, you don't have to like the person to like the music and i think this is one of those cases.  I love his shit.  As a person though? Eh.

daviesmatt

Ryan Adams
« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2005, 00:34 »

I thought this was a thread about Bryan Adams at first, and then a NoFX cover of "Summer of '69" came on.

Coincidence?

I think not.

Willis

Ryan Adams
« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2005, 13:08 »

Ahhh yes, Mr. Adams is an interesting one, isn't he?
I first got introduced to him in December aught-aught (thats 2000 folks) with his solo debut, Heartbreaker.  I gotta say, that is a classic album.  This is pre-asshole Adams and he makes damn some good music.  Gold has its good moments, but the production is a bit too slick for me.  Demoliltion took the intimacies of Heartbreaker and the best moments of Gold to create a highly underrated album.  Rock and Roll just didn't do it for me, and I haven't bought anything since then.  Really its all based on economics -- the guy puts out so much (um..3 albums this year, 2 which are doubles, or some craziness like that) material that in order to keep up, its quite a committment of funds that this poor grad student cannot handle.  I agree with Passthebottle in the fact that yes, we all realize what an asshole he can be at times.  But his music speaks for itself.  The majority of his stuff is better then a lot of stuff out there.  And you gotta have certain respect for a guy who puts out multiple albums a year.

~~Willis

mikemike

Ryan Adams
« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr 2005, 13:35 »

I'm a big Adams fan and look forward to what he puts out this year. Yeah, Rock 'N' Roll was awful but the brilliance of Love Is Hell made up for it.

blindsuperhero

Ryan Adams
« Reply #7 on: 25 Apr 2005, 13:49 »

Quote from: daviesmatt
I thought this was a thread about Bryan Adams at first, and then a NoFX cover of "Summer of '69" came on.

I think that would be MxPx.

Definitely not NOFX, either way.

coldcut

Ryan Adams
« Reply #8 on: 25 Apr 2005, 16:12 »

Quote from: daviesmatt

Coincidence?

I think not.

Apparently you can shut down a Ryan Adams show by yelling "Summer of '69" at him.  It's happened before is all I know.  

And while I agree that the art transcends the artist, Ryan Adams' asshole days go back quite a bit further than his solo career.  I still don't understand how a guy who can write a song like "Faithless Street" can be that big of a dick.

passthebottle

Ryan Adams
« Reply #9 on: 25 Apr 2005, 22:01 »

gotta admit i was one of the late comers.  after reading about how good Rock N Roll was for a year i said fuck it and bought it.

I loved it.

I then read about how the whole album was a big f.u. to his label and how all the songs were supposed ot be shit, etc. etc.

I still love it.  I went and got Heartbreaker (as two Eps cause it was cheaper) and loved that too.  So i like his pre-ass stuff and i like the stuff that wasn't supposed to be good. Wonder what that says about me..? o_O

Phrozen

Ryan Adams
« Reply #10 on: 26 Apr 2005, 06:39 »

I got introduced through Rock N Roll. Dug it, went out and obught it. I love that album, some ot the lyrics are really poignant and end up speaking to me on some sort of wierd level. (Cotton candy in a rotten mouth/ Ya know you're so fucked up/ I couldn't help but have it for you) It makes sense!

However, Heartbreaker is my favorite so far. Its slower and more romantic but with nice accented points that bring out the character of the rest of the album.

However, I heard a bit of his new single and was creeped out... it sounded like radio trash, not the angry drunk Adams we all know and love.

Spencer

Ryan Adams
« Reply #11 on: 26 Apr 2005, 08:16 »

I absolutely adore Heartbreaker. It's one of the most beautiful albums I have ever heard. I liked Gold and Rock and Roll, but not enough to keep them on my computer, or even distinctly remember anything about them. I loved various parts of the"Love Is Hell" EP's. That cover of Wonderwall is absolutely brilliant.

As for the guy personally, I have nothing against him. He's an asshole, big deal. Just about everyone I know is an asshole.

Praeserpium Machinarum

Ryan Adams
« Reply #12 on: 26 Apr 2005, 08:30 »

And while I agree that the art transcends the artist, Ryan Adams' asshole days go back quite a bit further than his solo career. I still don't understand how a guy who can write a song like "Faithless Street" can be that big of a dick.

I remember he was quoted for saying(loosely after memory): "I don't mean to be such a dick, but you try having a name one word from a 80's rock icon...it's not funny"

SeanBateman

Ryan Adams
« Reply #13 on: 26 Apr 2005, 19:15 »

Best quote I ever heard of his was "I just don't want to be the thing uncool people do to feel cool." I think that's an admirable goal

trickster

Ryan Adams
« Reply #14 on: 27 Apr 2005, 02:58 »

Saw him in Glasgow last year and I still say it was, hads down, the best gig I've ever been to.
Amazing, just amazing.

mikemike

Ryan Adams
« Reply #15 on: 27 Apr 2005, 07:15 »

He's prone to moodswings. I went to a gig of his at the Brixton Academy and halfway through, he had a random strop and just went off without an encore which would have included some of his best songs. I still love his music, though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up