THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A brief review of the New England Metal & Hardcore fest.  (Read 5343 times)

LightThievesAll

• Obscure cultural reference
    • http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~ajohnsto

...for those who care.  It should be noted that most of the bands I saw I had little previous exposure to, and therefore I judged them entirely on their live show.  A band by band breakdown:

3 Inches of Blood - Good, not unbelievable, but quite enjoyable.  But then again, I guess metal about pirates should be enjoyable.
Behemoth - Holy fuck, they were awesome.  I wasn't expecting much, but they put on a hell of a show, despite the goofy get-ups and medieval headgear.  Hooray for black metal.
Between the Buried and Me - My friend Dave loves these guys, I was skeptical because of the stupid name.  To my surprise, they put on a very solid show, I'll have to check them out a little more.
Bleeding Through - The keyboard player was hot.  Beyond that, I was not impressed.  They looked like Good Charlotte trying to play metal.
Bury Your Dead - Metalcore.  Not good.  Fuck these guys.
Cephalic Carnage - Stoner grind?  Hell yeah.  They were a lot of fun.  The guitar player was wearing a Reverend Horton Heat shirt, which made me so happy I nearly squealed like a kid on Christmas.
Dark Tranquility - I really like what I've heard of this band, but unfortunately, when they came on I was so drained I fell asleep.  I only caught three or four songs, but those songs were pretty fuckin' kickass.
God Forbid - Eh.
Hypocrisy - These guys were great too.  They weren't among my favorite bands playing this weekend, but I liked their set a lot.
Ice Pick - Terrible, generic, wannabe-Hatebreed hardcore.  I left during the first song to go smoke a cigarette, which in retrospect was a bad idea, since they did a Sheer Terror cover.  Now, Sheer Terror is the greatest hardcore band ever, and I would have loved to get violent during one of their songs, even if it was played by these losers.
Red Chord - First band on saw on Saturday.  I gotta buy their new album, they fucking smoked.  Powerful, fast, heavy, energetic, definitely cool.
Sonata Arctica - Flower Metal!  Seeing as I have a huge soft spot for cheesy power-metal, I absolutely loved these guys.  Pretty out of place in the festival, but I enjoyed the hell out of them.
Strapping Young Lad - One of the main reasons I went to this festival.  Two complaints about the set, it was only 20 minutes long because of the festival setting, and the asshole behind me who kept yelling for "Gallagher to get off the stage."  Beyond that, I mean, come one, it was fucking SYL, of course it was awesome.  Highlights: Devy's banter, "All Hail the New Flesh", and "Oh My Fucking God".
Terror - I've seen these guys a bunch of times.  Their old stuff is good, solid hardcore that gets my blood flowing.  Their new stuff is above-average metalcore that does not interest me.  Half the set was good, half not so much.  They were a lot better the first time I saw them a few years ago.  The lead singer is still and idiot though.  All that "unity, outcast, blah blah blah" shit gets real fucking old real fast.

Headliners...
Cryptopsy - I'm embarassed to say I'd never heard these guys until the show.  Wow.  I mean, wow.  Biggest damn drumkit I've ever seen.  Just brutal, awesome death metal for an hour.  I loved it.  At the end of the set, Lord Worm came out and ate and entire goblet of live worms.  I found that amusing.  Bottom line, Cryptopsy is awesome.
Chimaira - I've seen these guys before.  They don't suck.  They're not particularly great either.  Their new drummer is from Dying Fetus, so they had some good percussion going for them.
Soilwork - I don't like these guys that much.  I slept during their set.
Nile - I adore Nile.  When the new album comes out next month I am buying it immediately.  What an awesome set, covered a lot of ground and was absolutely brutal.  Highlights: all the new stuff, "Ramses Bringer of War", and a "Black Seeds of Vengeance" sing-a-long to finish the set.
Danzig - This guy is one of my musical heroes.  Yeah, he's a fucking prick in real life, but he puts on a good show.  Unfortunately he played a lot of newer stuff, which I'm not a big fan of.  It was cool, but I had a hard time getting excited.  Good old songs he played: "How the Gods Kill", "Her Black Wings", "Twist of Cain" and of course, "Mother".  The best part of the set though, was when Doyle came out and they played Misfits tunes.  Unfortunately they only played a handful, which completely gave me blue-balls.  "20 Eyes", "Skulls", "Mommy...", "Die Die My Darling", "We Are 138", "Earth A.D." that was it.  Overall, I enjoyed the set a lot, but it kind of left a bad taste in my mouth because if should have been 3 hours long instead of 70 minutes.  That's not Danzig's fault though.
King Diamond - It was King motherfisting Diamond, so naturally it was awesome.  Every aspect of the show was great.  The hot chick dancing around.  King stabbing a doll through the mouth with a dagger.  The lights.  King rising from a coffin.  The legendary bone-crucifix microphone.  King Diamond didn't even break character until the set was 35 minutes old.  I'll admit that my knowledge of King Diamond is limited to "Abigail" and Mercyful Fate's "Don't Break the Oath" but when he played "A Mansion in Darkness" I got ultra excited.  His second encore was "Evil" by Mercyful Fate, which was also great.  At one point he also said the audience was "totally awesome."  That pretty much sums up the weekend: King Diamond said totally awesome.

Bands I missed that I would have liked to see:
Obituary (played first night, when I wasn't there)
Ion Dissonance (ditto)
Evergreen Terrace (got their late)
Walls of Jericho (forgot when they were playing)
Black Dahlia Murder (played the same time as Cephalic Carnage)

That wasn't really too brief.
Everybody needs to believe in something.  I believe I'll have another beer.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
A brief review of the New England Metal & Hardcore fest.
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2005, 17:38 »

I personally absolutely LOVE Between the Buried and Me. One of the few bands on my very quickly diminishing list of awesome metal bands.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Hoborg

« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2005, 22:15 »

Damnit, my friend had an extra ticket to that and I was stuck here in philly.

Would have been worth it for Dark Tranquility and Strapping Young Lad.

kikanjuuneko

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2005, 22:43 »

I would've given a fair number of internal organs to see this.

You were only there for one day, though?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2005, 23:42 »

Some questions:

Did Heavy Devy gibber like the Canadian loon he is?

Did Behemoth do their normal opening? (Say something like: "Any Christians here tonight...I didn't think so!" or "In ancient Rome...they used to say..." Then launch into 'Christians to the Lions')

Did KD play 'The Trees Have Eyes'?

Did 3 Inches of Blood play 'Axes of Evil' or 'Wykydtron'?

Apart from that, sounds pretty damn nice. I can imagine any member of CxCx in a Rev HH shirt. Also, Soilwork have one or two good songs, but they've embraced the modern Gothenburg sound way too much for my liking.

You lucky bugger.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Robbo

« Reply #5 on: 26 Apr 2005, 00:50 »

You overly lucky bastard. That's a sodding amazing line up. Cryptopsy AND Nile together.....*drools*

More proof that Lord Worm is the fucking man. That and some of the best Death vox ever.  You lucky bastard.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
« Reply #6 on: 26 Apr 2005, 00:55 »

Any pictures?
also israel

LightThievesAll

« Reply #7 on: 26 Apr 2005, 10:35 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Some questions:

Devy's banter was great.  The word "sexy" was used often, as was "fuck."  Best line: "We form the big collective dick that is about to do you in your collective poop hole!"  Man, all I gotta say is that Strapping Young Lad were so awesome live.  I'm going to see them again later this summer and I can't wait.  I should buy "Alien" first though, so I know more of the songs in the set.  Because of their short time on stage, the only played a couple songs off of "Alien" and a few more off of "City".  Like any good SYL fan, I knew all the "City" songs.

I got there about 2 minutes after Behemoth started, so I missed the opening.

I'll be honest about King Diamond, the only album I know well is "Abigail" so those were the only songs that I really recognized when they were played.  Others sounded familiar, but I can't be sure about titles.  I'll ask one of my friends, a big KD fan, and get back to you.

I'd never heard 3 Inches of Blood until the show, but they did play "Axes of Evil".  I don't remember if they announced "Wykydtron" or not.

And to answer kikanjuuneko, I was there for two out of three days, but since there were two stages each day, I had to pick and choose what bands I watched.  Most of the upstairs bands were lousy metalcore acts so I only ventured up there to watch Cephalic Carnage.  Downstairs was where the good shit was played.

To Trollstormur, there should be plenty of pics online in the next few days.  I didn't take any personally, but my friend writes for http://www.metalreview.com and they had a photographer there.  http://www.metalandhardcorefestival.com should also have some photos up pretty soon.  I wish my cell phone worked, it would have been awesome to have a picture of King Diamond all lit up in blue as my little background.  I would have the most metal phone at all of UMass.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: 26 Apr 2005, 10:40 »

I ask about 3IoB because I'm seeing them in may and want to get an idea of what songs they'd be playing. They HAVE to do Deadly Sinners, (and possibly Destroy the Orcs and Ride Darkhorse, Ride) but past that I have no idea. They really don't do duff songs, especially on the latest album.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

kikanjuuneko

« Reply #9 on: 26 Apr 2005, 10:47 »

Quote from: LightThievesAll
And to answer kikanjuuneko, I was there for two out of three days, but since there were two stages each day, I had to pick and choose what bands I watched.  Most of the upstairs bands were lousy metalcore acts so I only ventured up there to watch Cephalic Carnage.  Downstairs was where the good shit was played.

Eh. That doesn't sound like a particularly clever way to plan a fest. Hellfest usually has three stages and a fuckload more bands, yet they plan it so that no two bands play at the same time. Hence, festgoers wouldn't have to choose.

I can't believe you didn't see Unearth, though.

Also, for the guy that asked, there's plenty of pics from the fest on Returntothepit.com

LightThievesAll

« Reply #10 on: 26 Apr 2005, 11:00 »

3 Inches of Blood finished with "Deadly Sinners" and it was pretty fucking excellent.  Everyone went nuts.

I'm not a big Unearth fan, so missing them didn't bother me.  I couldn't have gone on Friday anyway, what with my job and all.

Edit: Those return to the pit pics are pretty excellent.  Unfortunately there was no photography during Danzig, I don't know why.  Maybe it's because his hair is thinning up top.  I find that pretty amusing, Danzig going bald.  I also find it amusing that you can kind of see me in a few of the Cephalic Carnage pics.

Signum_Tenebrae

« Reply #11 on: 26 Apr 2005, 11:46 »

Wow sounds great!  I'm going to be seeing the King Diamond, Nile, and Behemoth tour soon, so this review got me psyched for that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up