THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 08:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Albums that have leaked  (Read 28487 times)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Albums that have leaked
« Reply #100 on: 12 Oct 2005, 12:00 »

I've stopped downloading leaked albums. I found that I was much happier when I waited until the release, went out and bought the actual CD on its release date, but that listening to the album before it came out and then going to buy it removed any of the fun in buying a new CD.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Kid Amnesiac

Albums that have leaked
« Reply #101 on: 12 Oct 2005, 14:50 »

Quote from: DynamiteKid
I've stopped downloading leaked albums. I found that I was much happier when I waited until the release, went out and bought the actual CD on its release date, but that listening to the album before it came out and then going to buy it removed any of the fun in buying a new CD.

I don't unerstand this reasoning. I want to listen to something when it's done. I don't want to wait an unnecessary amount of time to listen to something that is done and ready. Artists should feel glad that people want to listen to their music, and true fans are going to buy the album anyway.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Albums that have leaked
« Reply #102 on: 13 Oct 2005, 09:24 »

Quote from: Kid Amnesiac
Quote from: DynamiteKid

I don't unerstand this reasoning. I want to listen to something when it's done. I don't want to wait an unnecessary amount of time to listen to something that is done and ready. Artists should feel glad that people want to listen to their music, and true fans are going to buy the album anyway.

Exactly. 'True' fans, but shitloads of people don't bother to buy CDs and just download it all.

I like the feeling of owning a CD, and I like the idea of waiting until an artist wants me to hear the material.

sjbrot

Albums that have leaked
« Reply #103 on: 13 Oct 2005, 11:41 »

By downloading leaked albums, you aren't complementing the artist. You're taking power away from them. They have the right to decide how their albums will be set up and experienced, and by downloading something that you're not even sure is the real mix, well, that just doesn't seem right.

That said, I have checked out out one or two leaked albums over the years.

Kid Amnesiac

Albums that have leaked
« Reply #104 on: 17 Oct 2005, 03:27 »

Exactly. 'True' fans, but shitloads of people don't bother to buy CDs and just download it all.

I like the feeling of owning a CD, and I like the idea of waiting until an artist wants me to hear the material.

Shitloads of people are always going to download music. You can't change that. I like the feeling of buying albums too, but that doesn't stop me from listening to it beforehand. Plus, don't you want to know that what you're spending money on isn't going to be crap?

Quote from: sjbrot
By downloading leaked albums, you aren't complementing the artist. You're taking power away from them. They have the right to decide how their albums will be set up and experienced, and by downloading something that you're not even sure is the real mix, well, that just doesn't seem right.

That said, I have checked out out one or two leaked albums over the years.

Albums are done way before a cd is released. Just look at Wilco for that example. When Yankee Hotel Foxtrot leaked on the internet, they didn't sue people or get mad, they went ahead and put the album on their site for people to hear it for free months before its release. They did the same for A Ghost is Born and they still sold a whole lot of albums.

decklin

Albums that have leaked
« Reply #105 on: 17 Oct 2005, 04:15 »

The last leak I downloaded was Broken Social Scene. I also pre-ordered the actual CD. Then, every week, I would let myself listen to *one* of the songs once or twice, starting with the obvious "singles".

It was like, you know, actually having radio that didn't suck. (If there's a single college DJ around here who would have hyped it up, I haven't found them yet.) That's what anticipation is all about!

I can't think of anything else recent really. Hail to the Thief, Vespertine... bought both of those the day they came out too. (And kept the advance of vespertine because it had the *far* superior mix of Our Hands on it... :P )

Not that that's particularly weird, because I generally don't buy *anything* I haven't previously downloaded or otherwise put on my computer. I think my money should go to whatever artists deserve my support based on how much I like their work, not on giving myself some kicks by gambling on stuff I don't know if I like or not. That's a selfish thrill, and if I make a poor choice, it's less money I could use to support someone deserving. I just don't romanticize the record-buying experience, I guess. It's entirely a means to an end (patronage) for me.

Kid Amnesiac

Albums that have leaked
« Reply #106 on: 17 Oct 2005, 18:05 »

Well said, decklin.

On topic: Explosions In the Sky's The Rescue has leaked. It is incredible. I adore it.

RUMBLEMOOSE

Albums that have leaked
« Reply #107 on: 17 Oct 2005, 18:20 »

What about leaks that are substantially different from the eventual release? I remember when Guero was released (yes, I'm a Beck nerd), "Scarecrow" was about three minutes shorter than the leaked version. The only thing missing was a long and mildly aimless jam, but being a nerd I was still all giddy about having two versions of the song. Plus, the mix of "Send a Message to Her" was all kinds of different on the CD (better, even-- more bgvox).

Not to mention Fiona Apple's Extraordinary Machine being leaked as a Jon Brion production and released as a Mike Elizondo production, as an extreme example.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Albums that have leaked
« Reply #108 on: 18 Oct 2005, 09:09 »

Shitloads of people are always going to download music. You can't change that. I like the feeling of buying albums too, but that doesn't stop me from listening to it beforehand. Plus, don't you want to know that what you're spending money on isn't going to be crap?

I base what albums I buy on singles rather than leaks. I listen to what they want me to hear beforehand.

Kid Amnesiac

Albums that have leaked
« Reply #109 on: 18 Oct 2005, 14:29 »

I've heard countless albums where the singles are the only songs worthwile songs off an album. Or the other way around. Trail of Dead's "Worlds Apart" is probably the worst song ever made, but the album has a lot of quality tracks. If I had heard that single, I would've never bought the album. But thanks to the leak, I knew it was just a bump in the road.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Albums that have leaked
« Reply #110 on: 19 Oct 2005, 08:33 »

I've heard countless albums where the singles are the only songs worthwile songs off an album. Or the other way around. Trail of Dead's "Worlds Apart" is probably the worst song ever made, but the album has a lot of quality tracks. If I had heard that single, I would've never bought the album. But thanks to the leak, I knew it was just a bump in the road.

I really can't be bothered with this argument any more, neither one of us will budge an inch.

So I'll just throw out a gratuitous 'it's illegal, bitch' and be on my way.

Kid Amnesiac

Albums that have leaked
« Reply #111 on: 19 Oct 2005, 20:58 »

^ Still gonna do it.

On topic:

Eluvium's Travels in Constants EP has leaked as well. A single 33 minute long track. It's incredible.

Kid Amnesiac

Albums that have leaked
« Reply #112 on: 02 Dec 2005, 08:25 »

The Strokes - First Impressions Of Earth

Leak'd

chamberk

Albums that have leaked
« Reply #113 on: 02 Dec 2005, 09:38 »

As has

Belle and Sebastian - The Life Pursuit
and
Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins - Rabbit Fur Coat

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
Albums that have leaked
« Reply #114 on: 02 Dec 2005, 16:00 »

I've heard some tracks from In Flames' new album have leaked, but I don't have any of them so I can't verify this.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Albums that have leaked
« Reply #115 on: 02 Dec 2005, 17:55 »

I've heard Crawl Through Knives.

...meh.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Merkava

Albums that have leaked
« Reply #116 on: 02 Dec 2005, 19:01 »

The Strokes - First Impressions Of Earth

Leak'd

I've heard Juicebox. I love the way the lead singer sounds comfortable with his voice. He's really stretching beyond the monotone drone of previous albums.

ramenXnoodles

Albums that have leaked
« Reply #117 on: 04 Dec 2005, 10:10 »

Is The Rescue the new Explosions in the Sky CD?[/i]

LIVE!Forever

Albums that have leaked
« Reply #118 on: 15 Dec 2005, 03:07 »

Islands leaked

2/3rds of the unicorns

i listened to it and it's really not good at all

surgerydrugsnrocknroll

Albums that have leaked
« Reply #119 on: 15 Dec 2005, 09:31 »

the new dragonforce has been leaked for a month or so, and its supopsed to be released sometime next year.
anywho, it is completely breathtaking though, the guitarists in that band are some of the best out there.

bleeding through's new album leaked also,
and while its not bad, they over did the clean vocals.

pip_helix

Albums that have leaked
« Reply #120 on: 15 Dec 2005, 09:58 »

Quote from: chamberk
Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins - Rabbit Fur Coat

ahhh! i love this album, i just want to hug it all day!

(no, seriously, i've been so addicted to it for weeks. and yeah, i'll plunk down some cash for it when it actually comes out. it's worth the money.)

and i got plans when it leaked. all i could really say is "thank goodness i didn't pay for that." sooooooooo baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

salada

• Curry sauce
Albums that have leaked
« Reply #121 on: 17 Dec 2005, 08:03 »

There's a leak of Liars' new one, Drum's Not Dead, floating around at the moment, in case anyone's interested.

Giantandre

Albums that have leaked
« Reply #122 on: 18 Dec 2005, 00:39 »

The Rescue is NOT a full length by Explosions in The Sky it is about 38 mins long----(no track is longer than 5 mins) 8 tracks titled ---Day One ---Through --- Day Eight---It was suposed to be a tour only release.....It was for sale at the show last night in LA....where they played 1 track i instantly recognized....It is widely avaliable on Soulseek and other P2P networks......It is as usuall a stellar release......They sell it (and everything else CD's T's etc.) for 10 dollars

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Albums that have leaked
« Reply #123 on: 18 Dec 2005, 06:35 »

That's a lotta dots. ............

Quote from: LIVE!Forever
Islands leaked

You mean that old 70's King Crimson album? :D
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

zoidbergslo

• Emoticontraindication
Albums that have leaked
« Reply #124 on: 24 Dec 2005, 15:37 »

Destroyer - Rubies leaked
Sounds great

And for the "Islands - Return to the Sea" not a very good album

Octillus

Albums that have leaked
« Reply #125 on: 24 Dec 2005, 22:32 »

Quote from: KharBevNor

...meh.

Meh to you bro.

It's Come Clarity, and it kicks ass. Better than the last two albums combined. The song Vacuum cannot be denied.

surgerydrugsnrocknroll

Albums that have leaked
« Reply #126 on: 24 Dec 2005, 23:31 »

Quote from: Octillus

...meh.

Meh to you bro.

It's Come Clarity, and it kicks ass. Better than the last two albums combined. The song Vacuum cannot be denied.

sorry, but they went from decent swedish melo-death to more generic swedish influenced metalcore.

not a good change.

go listen to clayman or whoracle.
muchmuch better stuff.

Octillus

Albums that have leaked
« Reply #127 on: 25 Dec 2005, 22:42 »

Quote from: surgerydrugsnrocknroll

...meh.

Meh to you bro.

sorry, but they went from decent swedish melo-death to more generic swedish influenced metalcore.

not a good change.

muchmuch better stuff.

Before I start, be warned that most of my response is due to the fact that I "have to defend" my tastes all the freaking time. It's like people tell me they've sold out, when 98% of the western world has no idea who the fuck they are. So really, I find it all silly. Don't take it personally, I don't.
Heh. I own every album dude. Don't tell me what i have to listen to, as Clayman is still my favorite album, ever. I can still find that I like the new album anyway. What's sad is that most people, after the previous album fail to give this one a shot. You'd be surprised, how many old school influences you can find. I understand it's still all a matter of taste, but to call them generic is a bit ridiculous considering the amount of experimentation they've made with their sound.

I of course expect you to respond with a list of bands that you find better. Fine, I've heard most of them: Ominum Gatherum, At the Gates, Dissection (blech!), Kalmah, Dark Tranquillity (way rad but can be boring), Nightrage, it doesn't really matter. Point being is that I find a lot of these bands to be generic (At the Gates aside, i mean they and IF started the genre) and I think it's the direct punch of IF's sound and emotion in the vocals that seperates them for me. So, maybe you disagree, but don't try and tell me I'm wrong because, just like you, I have my opinions

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Albums that have leaked
« Reply #128 on: 26 Dec 2005, 10:27 »

It's Come Clarity

I was talking about the song.

I saw In Flames live a month or so ago, and the amount they've changed since the last time I saw them before that (Hammered at Xmas) was incredible. Every track had had an oscillated electronic backing added to it, and all the heavy vocals had been down-graded. I could scarcely recognise Episode 666.

The problem with In Flames is that, indeed, they aren't generic MDM. They're generic to bands like Shadows Fall.

Also, because it looks like pet hates time, In Flames did NOT co-invent MDM with AtG. If you want a co-inventor, it was Edge of Sanity. Their trio of albums from 1992-1994 (Unorthodox, The Spectral Sorrows, Purgatory Afterglow) is absolutely seminal to everything that MDM has ever done, and 1996's Crimson maybe even more so, and it really amazes me that so few people have actually heard them. When you consider the kind of Quantum leap of experimentation they were committing when they wrote and recorded the song 'Enigma' in 1991/1992, it's pretty mind-boggling.

And on the EoS note, if you want vocals and lyrics with emotional punch, Dan Swano is your man. Listen to 'Elegy'. Zomg.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Octillus

Albums that have leaked
« Reply #129 on: 26 Dec 2005, 10:53 »

I'll give you that they were predated by Edge of Sanity (whom I never totally got into, but are very very good), it's just generally referred to as IF with Lunar Strain in 94, the jester race in 95 and 96 as being part of that scene's creation. And yes, considering the time period, WOW. And I've seen IF live 5 times, so yeah, it may be true, that they've added some electronic backing, but a bad show it makes not. As a matter of fact, seeing them in 04, the song the quiet place aside, was better than when I saw them with Iced Earth, simply due to the fact that they've cut from their sloppiness. If they've really changed so much since I saw them at ozzfest (no comments on that please, I don't care.), then that is really sad. Generic to Shadow's Fall? eh. I'd NEVER go that far. Everyone whom i've talked to that hates everything after colony, still thinks they sound like In Flames, just in their eyes a bastardized form of it. What bands like Shadow's Fall lack are anything besides, I dunno, constant riffing.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Albums that have leaked
« Reply #130 on: 26 Dec 2005, 11:52 »

I really loved IF when I saw them in December, but the last time (with Motorhead) something had just...gone. The songs seemed to have all become very homogenized and to have lost their emotional impact. (And I will agree with you, In Flames can have a very good emotional impact.)

They really did buy into the whole Gothenburg scene explosion in the early-ish naughties though. I don't particularly mind the electronic influence, but the way they're playing it is very much drawing influences from the modern metalcore and even nu-metal scenes, giving them a vastly expanded fanbase: another thing I've been beginning to notice is a change in their fanbase. As recently as a year or so ago In Flames fans tended to be metalheads. Now they're getting very popular among mallcore-type kids of a much younger age. Their sound just seems to have softened and become less appealing, in terms of integrity as much as musicality. There's a less visceral quality about it. I won't deny though, that, at the same time, my musical taste has moved away from Modern Metal. Nuclear Blast catalogues will never again hold the same shine for me.

Octillus

Albums that have leaked
« Reply #131 on: 26 Dec 2005, 11:58 »

That's really disheartening, considering I'm seeing them in January.

In general though yeah, as one gets older, like myself, I've drifted away from metal. I'm actually rocker first, metal fan second.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Albums that have leaked
« Reply #132 on: 26 Dec 2005, 12:32 »

When I was 16, I was so 'TRUE BLACK METAL FOREVER!'

Ironic as at that time I was mainly listening to crap like Dimmu Borgir and Thou Art Lord. Thank goodness you only have to be 16 once.

Octillus

Albums that have leaked
« Reply #133 on: 26 Dec 2005, 14:12 »

Eh, I was never too into the metal scene to begin with I guess. Too heavy to hang out with the cool kids, too much of a puss to hang out with the "tru kvlt necro shenanigan bunch"

How dare I be medium :P

surgerydrugsnrocknroll

Albums that have leaked
« Reply #134 on: 26 Dec 2005, 22:44 »

Quote from: surgerydrugsnrocknroll

...meh.

Meh to you bro.

not a good change.

muchmuch better stuff.

Before I start, be warned that most of my response is due to the fact that I "have to defend" my tastes all the freaking time. It's like people tell me they've sold out, when 98% of the western world has no idea who the fuck they are. So really, I find it all silly. Don't take it personally, I don't.
Heh. I own every album dude. Don't tell me what i have to listen to, as Clayman is still my favorite album, ever. I can still find that I like the new album anyway. What's sad is that most people, after the previous album fail to give this one a shot. You'd be surprised, how many old school influences you can find. I understand it's still all a matter of taste, but to call them generic is a bit ridiculous considering the amount of experimentation they've made with their sound.

I of course expect you to respond with a list of bands that you find better. Fine, I've heard most of them: Ominum Gatherum, At the Gates, Dissection (blech!), Kalmah, Dark Tranquillity (way rad but can be boring), Nightrage, it doesn't really matter. Point being is that I find a lot of these bands to be generic (At the Gates aside, i mean they and IF started the genre) and I think it's the direct punch of IF's sound and emotion in the vocals that seperates them for me. So, maybe you disagree, but don't try and tell me I'm wrong because, just like you, I have my opinions

i in no way was trying to say that you have bad taste for liking their newer stuff.
i was just saying i like all their older stuff better. hah, i still enjoy the new album, i just think it is weak compared to their older work.

i guess i came of as more of an elitist prick than i intended though.

Kid Modernist

Albums that have leaked
« Reply #135 on: 26 Dec 2005, 22:58 »

Stop with the quote tunnels, we don't forget what is right aboves ya. :)

As for the topic:

Band of Horses - Everything All The Time has leaked (And has reminded me of Kid A)

Spartan Pho3nix

Albums that have leaked
« Reply #136 on: 17 Jan 2006, 18:40 »

Appleseed Cast - Peregrine

eyepatch

Albums that have leaked
« Reply #137 on: 18 Jan 2006, 16:08 »

I don't mean to be an ass, but do you have any idea where I could get that appleseed cast album? I've looked everywhere I know of :(

Spartan Pho3nix

Albums that have leaked
« Reply #138 on: 18 Jan 2006, 16:11 »

I got it off of Oink's pink palace
http://oink.me.uk/details.php?id=382208&hit=1

They often hand out site invites @ the irc channel.
irc.oink.me.uk #invites

thermodynamics

Albums that have leaked
« Reply #139 on: 15 Feb 2006, 18:34 »

built to spill - you in reverse        

been leaked for a little while now. i like it... it harkens back to the 'keep it like a secret' days.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up