- 8 (12.7%)
Hip Hop
- 1 (1.6%)
Other
- 17 (27%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: 27 Apr 2005, 17:28

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Your Original Trend  (Read 17854 times)

Revenge_Therapist

Your Original Trend
« on: 27 Apr 2005, 17:28 »

Most of us went straight from Radio listening little naive kids, to some stereotypical genere of High School Angst be it punk, goth, Indie, Hippie, Emo, or Metalhead. If you awnsered other put in post.
Anyway also include if you;ve moved on from this trend or not.

devils_daughter

Your Original Trend
« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2005, 17:29 »

Er I kinda listen to a bit of all of the above, also classical, soul, jazz etc

blindsuperhero

Your Original Trend
« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2005, 17:45 »

Well I was never a Radio listening little naive kid, I kind of went from The Beatles, through The Who to Blur and other Britpop-ness, then Radiohead, then Punk / Ska, then Autechre. Also I never really embodied any stereotypical genre of 'High School Angst', but I think Punk Rock is probably the style closest to my heart.
And given that I wasn't really into 'a trend' to start with I can't really say if I've moved on from it, I probably listen to a wider range of music now, but that's because I know more music; all through my life I've listened to progressively wider ranges of music. But I still wear my 3/4-length shorts and "Ska Against Rascism" t-shirt, if that answers the question.

Revenge_Therapist

Your Original Trend
« Reply #3 on: 27 Apr 2005, 17:50 »

Yeah I was really into grunge which led to Manson/NIN/Ministry through a band called Lard and a all my friend's bands I learnded about Punk Rock.

mizaktik

Your Original Trend
« Reply #4 on: 27 Apr 2005, 18:17 »

Voted other, because well... I'm Rude Boy, for the most part.

Tago Mago

• Larger than most fish
Your Original Trend
« Reply #5 on: 27 Apr 2005, 18:25 »

It was goth. I was never into the fashion, but the music was a revelation. Sure, at first I didn't get much further than NIN, Manson, Tool, Smashing Pumpkins, but as an insecure young 9th grader, those bands were blissful rebellion. After that came my prog-rock phase, my indie-rock phase, and right now I'm into a little bit of lots of things. Those original alt-rock bands definitely sound pretty immature and not the least bit threatening now, but I do credit them with having spurred my appreciation for fringe music.

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
Your Original Trend
« Reply #6 on: 27 Apr 2005, 19:42 »

There really needs to be an option of "Hepcat" for us jazz kids.
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

Tartar Martyr

Your Original Trend
« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2005, 21:07 »

all I listened to in high school was 311, Pavement, Charlie Parker and Duke Ellington... seriously.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
Your Original Trend
« Reply #8 on: 27 Apr 2005, 21:24 »

I suppose I started as an indie kid, but it didn't really effect the way I dressed or acted. But I took a distinct pleasure in liking obscure bands (I'm always a little amazed that some people my age are still doing something I grew out of when I was 14) and I used to listen to Lamacq and Peel a lot so I guess I fit the category. But then I came across punk rock and acquired spiky blue hair and NOFX records and that's when I first really identified with a genre. That ended when I got to sixth form and started to get really interested in hardcore, which had previously only formed a small part of my listening. The politics, aesthetic and of course the music started to appeal much more than the far more day-glow (and admittedly often much more shallow) sounds of my punk rock years and these days I'm thoroughly immersed in the culture. Not that this excludes other music of course. In fact, in my experience hardcore kids tend to be the more broad-minded than the average music fan.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Poke

Your Original Trend
« Reply #9 on: 27 Apr 2005, 21:29 »

It's hard to admit now... but I picked metalhead. Now that I have way moved on past that (it didn't even last a year.. I was a freshman who just discovered metal), I realize how little I even knew about it and how bad most of the music I listened to was.

I hadn't ever really been into music, but I had a boyfriend who was all about Acid Bath and Slipknot and I got to where I really liked them both and started listening to everything from System of a Down to Megadeath and In Flames. I discovered some really good tunes at that time, like The Gathering, but I sorta dressed a little poser-y (my "bad boy" boyfriend didn't like it that I was one of those "smart kids" who dressed like a preppy) with my plaid skirts, black band shirts, and combat boots. It didn't last long, and I've never really stuck much to a specific trend since that... but I am alot more indie/hippy than anything else now.

mahlon

• Plantmonster
Your Original Trend
« Reply #10 on: 27 Apr 2005, 22:44 »

The first band I was ever really into was Pink Floyd. I loved their music so much. When I was 14 I went and saw Roger Waters play live, it is still the absolute best show/concert I ever attended. I never really had a genre I could call myself apart of. I don't really like to either. I've basically been into punk, emo, indie, and most subgenres within for awhile now. What usually happens is I skip through music phases. I'll listen to more punk for 2 or 3 months, then go to indie, then classic rock and you get the picture. Right now i'm really getting into a bunch of bands I used to really love but hadn't listened to in awhile. Like Casket Lottery, Waxwing, Small Brown Bike, Jawbreaker (they have been my favorite band forever) and Boxcar Racer (yes, I do like blink 182).

Psiogen

Your Original Trend
« Reply #11 on: 27 Apr 2005, 22:59 »

I don't think I was ever any particular stereotype growing up. I listened to stuff like XTC, They Might Be Giants, The Velvet Underground, Tom Waits, Counting Crows, and the Beatles—random stuff from my mom's collection, basically.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Your Original Trend
« Reply #12 on: 27 Apr 2005, 23:32 »

I suppose you'd say metalhead, though stylistically and musically I swing around quite a bit between Metalhead, various sorts of goth, rivet-head and even folk. I've never really dressed 'stereotypically': The only identikit piece of alternate clothing I own is my trench, really, and maybe my band shirts, though they're all either oldies like Pink Floyd or for bands like Ephel Duath and Bal-Sagoth. I absolutely loathe 'anti-fashion': spiky hair, those stupid baggy trousers, nu-metal/emo, all that jazz. At the moment, I suppose you could say my dress most often resembles a black metal listener: all black/camo, longsleeves and jeans, patch jacket, accessories made out of bullets, etc. Though I spice it up with things like fishnet and joint rings (man, I loooove joint rings, even if they are awesomely impractical) pretty regularly. I also occasionally enjoy getting up in a formal shirt, black dress trousers and a black leather waistcoat. I have a pocket watch and everything.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

muffy

• Asleep in the boner patch
Your Original Trend
« Reply #13 on: 27 Apr 2005, 23:36 »

Hehe...
Indie kid.
I once tried to be goth as I thought it looked prettier, but I liked colour too much and didnt get on with the music, so that one only lasted a week.
I used to get called a hippy all the time, too, but  for all my attempts to be open minded, I like what I like and that inevitably falls into the indie bracket.
With the occassional emo tendency.
I'm not really afraid of being labelled...

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
  • Lurker of Lovecraftian proportion
    • Obligatory Social Networking Page
Your Original Trend
« Reply #14 on: 28 Apr 2005, 01:37 »

I was indie kid to start with for a year or so, since my first introduction to music was all the obscure bands my best friend loved. The only one I still listen to regularly is OCS. I dropped into dance and trance shortly after that though, along with some NIN.

Once I left school I managed to start broadening my tastes slightly.

crazybritishsteve

Your Original Trend
« Reply #15 on: 28 Apr 2005, 05:28 »

I think i'm a bit of an all rounder. Like indie stuff, emo stuff, goth stuff, and a bit of reggae. And who doesn't like a bit of classical every now and again?

However, there is one band that i would like to go back in time and say 'dudes, don't bother. You will suck. People will love you, but you will suck.' to, and that would be the Beatles. Can't stand them. So next time someone says 'yeah, but noone hates teh beatles' just look at them and say 'crazybritishsteve hates the beatles'.

kilconey

• Emoticontraindication
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/kilconey/
Your Original Trend
« Reply #16 on: 28 Apr 2005, 05:38 »

i'm pretty much an indie kid.  dress like one, listen to indie music, etc.  being a snob doesn't hurt either.

although when i was twelve and fresh out of standard radio play, i was a metalhead for about 2.2 seconds.
say something funny.  like sloppy joe.

Robbo

Your Original Trend
« Reply #17 on: 28 Apr 2005, 05:51 »

Metalhead. Iron Maiden was the first band I liked and it just went on from there. Was always a geek, so being the Nerdy Metalhead type just needed me to start listening to music.

Never done any of the poser crap or pop rubbish. And from the range of influence in Metal, branched out into Prog Rock, Jazz, Grindcore, Hardcore, Drone, Ambient Electronica stuff.

JP

Your Original Trend
« Reply #18 on: 28 Apr 2005, 05:57 »

My life of following trends starting in middle school:

whatever is on the radio > metal > indie > spent last year of high school and first semester of college thinking music scenes are retarded > mod > indie again

ASturge

Your Original Trend
« Reply #19 on: 28 Apr 2005, 09:10 »

Indie Kid

I specialize in looking down on all the stupid 'metalheads' that like Killswitch Engage.

Robbo

Your Original Trend
« Reply #20 on: 28 Apr 2005, 09:28 »

Ohhh, what a burn on the posers.

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
Your Original Trend
« Reply #21 on: 28 Apr 2005, 09:35 »

does "loser" count as stereotypical genre?

passthebottle

Your Original Trend
« Reply #22 on: 28 Apr 2005, 10:41 »

Quote from: mizaktik
Voted other, because well... I'm Rude Boy, for the most part.

yay for rudies!  

i went from being a punk, to a rudie, to.. whatever i am now. i listen ot alot of emo / indie stuff but i still listen to alot of punk and ska too.

I think what got me was the style.  Dressing like a 'punk' got too tedious (the hair..oh god..the hair..) and i didn't have enough money to dress like a rude girl.  Some jeans and bands shirts it is.  Gladly, i can say, that I have never been 'goth".

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Your Original Trend
« Reply #23 on: 28 Apr 2005, 10:49 »

Man goths could beat rudies any-day. They (we, I dunno tbh)'d depress you so much you'd lose the ability to skank properly, and at the next show you'd lose balance and be mashed to a bloody pulp under the oddly dancing feet of others.

Then, they/we'd write poems about your tragic fate.

Bad poems. With the word 'ebon' in them.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

ASturge

Your Original Trend
« Reply #24 on: 28 Apr 2005, 10:49 »

Quote from: negative creep
does "loser" count as stereotypical genre?

dude, you have pink hair, no WAY can you be a loser.

californaya

Your Original Trend
« Reply #25 on: 28 Apr 2005, 14:14 »

I think the only constant for me, musically, has been emo, in its many forms. Whether it was the ANSGT'D music of Linkin Park and (pre-Break The Cycle) Stain'd, the love songs (more or less) of the Cure, or the mainstreamity (I made a word!) of Taking Back Sunday and Brand New, emo has probably been the one genre that I've turned to for as long as I can remember.

blindsuperhero

Your Original Trend
« Reply #26 on: 28 Apr 2005, 14:32 »

I think you have a really messed up idea of what emo music is. Linkin Park, Staind and The Cure are most certainly not emo in any way shape or form

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
Your Original Trend
« Reply #27 on: 28 Apr 2005, 14:59 »

Stain'd isn't emo? Who authorized that memo?
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Your Original Trend
« Reply #28 on: 28 Apr 2005, 15:03 »

I have this theory, that the record labels just stole away all the nu-metal bands over night, changed their haircuts, and just sent them back into the fray armed with scarves and books full of crap poetry.*

* Disclaimer: I am totally aware of what emo actually is, it's musical influences, stages of evolution, etc. etc. But I love taking the piss out of it because 99% of it sucks vast quantities of ass

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Your Original Trend
« Reply #29 on: 28 Apr 2005, 15:10 »

A hodgepodge really.  I had the tendency to assimilate any sort aspect of a clique that I thought was interesting.  Actually I still kind of do that.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
Your Original Trend
« Reply #30 on: 28 Apr 2005, 15:27 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
I have this theory, that the record labels just stole away all the nu-metal bands over night, changed their haircuts, and just sent them back into the fray armed with scarves and books full of crap poetry.*

* Disclaimer: I am totally aware of what emo actually is, it's musical influences, stages of evolution, etc. etc. But I love taking the piss out of it because 99% of it sucks vast quantities of ass

Not quite. 2/3 of all stupid haircut bands are made up of resprayed ska and pop-punk fans, some of whom are cut and shut jobs.

Californaya, you need www.fourfa.com
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

rynne

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Hey, nice marmot!
Your Original Trend
« Reply #31 on: 28 Apr 2005, 15:55 »

The first style of music I really got into in general was industrial.  I started with Nine Inch Nails, of course,  in 8th grade, and within a couple years I was listening to stuff like haujobb, Sleep Chamber, Christ Analogue, Foetus, etc….

I was into industrial pretty exclusively for about four years, when I started expanding into techno, IDM, and trip-hop.  From there, my tastes sprialed further and further, so now I can find stuff I like in almost any genre.
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

AndSheeWas

Your Original Trend
« Reply #32 on: 29 Apr 2005, 06:09 »

I consider myself to be a Molly Ringwaldesque Rave Ups fan New Wave girl.

Signum_Tenebrae

Your Original Trend
« Reply #33 on: 29 Apr 2005, 13:06 »

Metalhead.

Though, like most pseudo-rebellious teenagers, I had a "goth" phase.  Mostly the style of dress, was never into real goth music.

Revenge_Therapist

Your Original Trend
« Reply #34 on: 29 Apr 2005, 13:08 »

MOD!!!!
Can you please add Rude Boy and Hepcat at the request of the forum people.

Catculus

Your Original Trend
« Reply #35 on: 29 Apr 2005, 13:41 »

I didn't fit into any stereotypical genre in high school.  I was a nerd, I suppose.  My friends were all on the academic team.  I played viola, I played in a youth orchestra from 9th-11th grade and then in 12th grade I played in the school orchestras.  I didn't dress in a way specific to any genre--my style of dress has always been rather boring, I listened to a wide variety of music (but for most of high school, I mainly listened to classical).

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
Your Original Trend
« Reply #36 on: 29 Apr 2005, 14:04 »

Quote from: ASturge
dude, you have pink hair, no WAY can you be a loser.

heh.. yea i was talking about the pre-pink era here. ;)

mechorg

Your Original Trend
« Reply #37 on: 02 May 2005, 03:35 »

As i've mentioned in other threads, I had a tendancy to trend-hop in my younger years, hence my eclectic tastes in music now.  I never really stopped listening to the music, but my styles have changed.

I started as a grunge kid.  Hey, I was in high school during the whole seattle grunge explosion (but i never owned a Kurt Cobain shirt!!).

That led to Tool and NIN and KMFDM, turning me to a rivet-head in my early college years... leading to EBM which converted to dance/raver to jungle/DnB ... then morphing to more ambient Aphex Twin-ish IDM ... which opened up the much happier indie scene.  A far cry from the hateful industrial and grunge of my past.  Lets just say I've grown up.

See... there is a logical progression!

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Your Original Trend
« Reply #38 on: 02 May 2005, 03:52 »

Grown up...or mellowed out!!

Though props for abandoning grunge.

Druid

Your Original Trend
« Reply #39 on: 02 May 2005, 05:28 »

It's always been more about my preference for music more so them my mode of dress. I've never lived anyplace where there was a "scene" or hipsters, so it's always been more about me wearing I think is cool more then anything.

I don't really know how to describe my current style, indie computer geek might work. It's a mixture of jeans, t-shirts, polos, slacks, dress shirts, and sweaters.

mikemike

Your Original Trend
« Reply #40 on: 02 May 2005, 07:21 »

The first music I really liked was faceless, chart-dance music which is incredibly embarrassing. I then quickly abandoned it for indie when I was about 14, skipping all the punk/grunge/goth stuff my friends were into at the time, so it's not that bad.

passthebottle

Your Original Trend
« Reply #41 on: 02 May 2005, 09:58 »

Quote from: mikemike
The first music I really liked was faceless, chart-dance music which is incredibly embarrassing. I then quickly abandoned it for indie when I was about 14, skipping all the punk/grunge/goth stuff my friends were into at the time, so it's not that bad.

So while most of us evolved from one crappyish genre to the perfection you see before you, you jumped the whole evolutionary ladder straight from 'total suckage' to 'cool'. ;)

Robbo

Your Original Trend
« Reply #42 on: 02 May 2005, 10:25 »

Punk/Grunge/Goth....I love that. As it just means Blink 182, Nirvana, Kron and Manson. Rather than anything good or true.

ASturge

Your Original Trend
« Reply #43 on: 02 May 2005, 10:38 »

I went

Offspring> Greenday > The Decemberists.

although i still quite like a bit of old school greenday/offspring (by that i mean NO american idiot and NO conspiracy of One)

Robbo

Your Original Trend
« Reply #44 on: 02 May 2005, 10:41 »

I started with Napalm Death, worked by way around bands like Nasum and Pig Destroyer, got into stuff like early Carcass, Fuck... I'm Dead, Circle of Dead Children, and more. Then started looking at stuff like Converge, Norma Jean, Beecher, etc much later.

And Napalm Death are a home town band, so just makes me more GxC.

EDIT: This is for my Punk based likings only.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Your Original Trend
« Reply #45 on: 02 May 2005, 10:46 »

I can't remember the whole sordid sequence of how I got into decent stuff, but it's left me with nostalgic feelings for old Metallica, Cradle of Filth and Cattle Decapitation.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
Your Original Trend
« Reply #46 on: 02 May 2005, 13:22 »

My first cd I ever bought was the first Spice Girls, but at the same time I still liked the Pixies (I had a lovely uncle who shoved music down my throat) and Linkin Park (ugh). It didn't really progress into different genres so much as better stuff in general. (In that I took the Pixies and delved into better stuff through them, leading me directly to the Jesus and Mary Chain, Husker Du, Sonic Youth, Beat Happening, Violent Femmes, etc.)

Though lately I've been more folky, buying albums by Love, The Incredible String Band, John Prine, etc.

But you can't tell what I listen to by the way I dress... I like Old Navy!
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

rudeboy

• Plantmonster
Your Original Trend
« Reply #47 on: 02 May 2005, 13:32 »

I can't really say that I'm anything. Ska is my favorite genre though. I do listen to like three emo bands, and alot of old and new punk. some people say the Adicts are more New Wave . . . I don't know. I could also say I'm goth maybe just because I'm into Bauhaus, Joy Divison, New Order, Skinny Puppy. Also indie too, well, whatever band jeph mentions in QC I'll usually check out and wind up liking.

If it's on the radio I probably won't like it, even on the college run stations, mainly because, all they play on WSOU is generic metal and emo.

Color is kinda frowned upon, it's also pretty hard to read with the background we have. - Dan

Holm

Your Original Trend
« Reply #48 on: 02 May 2005, 13:59 »

I was a wannabe metal kid to begin with, but that didn't work out so well, because I didn't like metal that much (I guess I was sort of an emo kid around 12-13). Now I just listen to whatever I like, though indie rock and pop is getting some heavy play lately.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Your Original Trend
« Reply #49 on: 02 May 2005, 14:33 »

Quote from: rudeboy
lots of blue! unneccessary blue!

AHGHGALGHALGH!
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up