- 8 (12.7%)
Hip Hop
- 1 (1.6%)
Other
- 17 (27%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: 27 Apr 2005, 17:28

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Your Original Trend  (Read 17840 times)

Druid

Your Original Trend
« Reply #50 on: 03 May 2005, 00:50 »

I got into good music because of a girl actually. She was older, and being the silly little kid that I was I wanted to like the samething she did. That led to MTV with "Wonderwall" by Oasis and "Tonight, Tonight" by the Smashing Pumpkins really capturing my attention. That of course led to Nirvana which led to Sonic Youth and the Pixies with those two bands forming the base of my indie rockness. About the same time I found Allmusic.com and Pitchfork, so I bought up stuff that they rated well.

passthebottle

Your Original Trend
« Reply #51 on: 03 May 2005, 10:55 »

Quote from: rudeboy
I can't really say that I'm anything. Ska is my favorite genre though. I do listen to like three emo bands, and alot of old and new punk. some people say the Adicts are more New Wave . . . I don't know. I could also say I'm goth maybe just because I'm into Bauhaus, Joy Divison, New Order, Skinny Puppy. Also indie too, well, whatever band jeph mentions in QC I'll usually check out and wind up liking.

If it's on the radio I probably won't like it, even on the college run stations, mainly because, all they play on WSOU is generic metal and emo.

The Adicts, whatever you want to call them, put on a great show.  It felt like New Year's Eve when I saw them.  So much fun.

WSOU?!  Where in jersey are you?

kikanjuuneko

Your Original Trend
« Reply #52 on: 03 May 2005, 10:57 »

My first, only and original trend was hip-hop. I didn't listen to gangsta rap, but I did have gigantic FUBU pants and PNB t-shirts. Then I realized that buying wholesale into a subculture and its uniforms is silly.

rudeboy

• Plantmonster
Your Original Trend
« Reply #53 on: 03 May 2005, 14:37 »

Quote from: passthebottle
Quote from: rudeboy
I can't really say that I'm anything. Ska is my favorite genre though. I do listen to like three emo bands, and alot of old and new punk. some people say the Adicts are more New Wave . . . I don't know. I could also say I'm goth maybe just because I'm into Bauhaus, Joy Divison, New Order, Skinny Puppy. Also indie too, well, whatever band jeph mentions in QC I'll usually check out and wind up liking.

If it's on the radio I probably won't like it, even on the college run stations, mainly because, all they play on WSOU is generic metal and emo.

The Adicts, whatever you want to call them, put on a great show.  It felt like New Year's Eve when I saw them.  So much fun.

WSOU?!  Where in jersey are you?

Union Township . . . black suburbia.

Addius

Your Original Trend
« Reply #54 on: 03 May 2005, 14:55 »

I chose other, mainly because I started out with the blues and some jazz (if I only dared picking upp my saxophone again, heh) but wandered off, started listening to metal and came to the conclussion that nothing really mattered that much.

Altough I have always prefered darker colours, with black being almost three quarters of what I always wear I'm not that much of a goth, a bit too serious and tidy you might say.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
Your Original Trend
« Reply #55 on: 03 May 2005, 18:18 »

Quote from: mahlon
Like Casket Lottery, Waxwing, Small Brown Bike, Jawbreaker (they have been my favorite band forever)

All those bands are really great. Kudos.

Quote from: BrittanyMarie
My first cd I ever bought was the first Spice Girls, but at the same time I still liked the Pixies (I had a lovely uncle who shoved music down my throat) and Linkin Park (ugh). It didn't really progress into different genres so much as better stuff in general. (In that I took the Pixies and delved into better stuff through them, leading me directly to the Jesus and Mary Chain, Husker Du, Sonic Youth, Beat Happening, Violent Femmes, etc.)

Though lately I've been more folky, buying albums by Love, The Incredible String Band, John Prine, etc.

I <3 U

Yah, but its hard to classify me, but I do listen to a lot of indie, if not that then usually punk. I do ska, trip-hop, electronia, oldies, 80s stuff like Cure and older New Order, Joy Division, etc, ambiance as well, but they're my subgenres. I went from being punk, to indie punk (writing reviews and such for a indie punk site) then finally to indie, via Jawbreaker and such.
I like the way you work it.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Your Original Trend
« Reply #56 on: 04 May 2005, 15:51 »

Weeeeeeeeen.

mooface

Your Original Trend
« Reply #57 on: 04 May 2005, 16:45 »

These are the bands I like/listen to:

311, The Adventures of Miles Hatchett and the Phunk Phiends!, All-American Rejects, Arrogant Worms, Ataris, The Beatles, Blink 182, Bowling For Soup, Brand New, Bright Eyes, Cats; the Musical, Caprice* (because they're pretty), Chicago; the Musical, Coheed & Cambria, Dashboard Confessional, The Decemberists, Desaparecidos, The Donnas (but only sometimes), Eve 6, Fallout Boy, Finch, Gavin Degraw, GOOD CHARLOTTE (because everybody hates them, so by liking them I'm automatically cooler than everyone else), Guster, Hot Hot Heat, Keane, The Killers, The Kodiak Arrest (what the fuck does that mean, anyways?), Korn, Jason Mraz, Less Than Jake, Mae, Marilyn Manson, Matchbook Romance, Matchbox 20, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, Mest, My Chemical Romance, N*sync (Just wait, in a few years their lameness will cause them to be cool in a retro sort of way, and I'll be ahead of the game! HAH!), New Found Glory, The Pixies, Red Hot Chili Peppers Relient K (JUST for the Sadie Hawkins Dance song!!), Slit-Wrist Consipracy (JOIN OR BE CRUCIFIED, BITCHES), The Sounds, Spice Girls, Story of the Year, Sum 41, The Strokes, Switchfoot, System of a Down, Taking Back Sunday, Thursday, Tilly and the Wall, Tsunami Bomb, The Used, Weezer, Wicked; the Musical, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Yellowcard

Yes, you may hate more than half the bands I've listed... but good luck trying to label me!

edit:  I need to update this list... I barely listen to pop-punk anymore...  Blink-182 and Sum 41 pretty much get on my nerves most of the time, now.

festerius

Your Original Trend
« Reply #58 on: 04 May 2005, 16:47 »

I once was concidered a punk rocker by myself and others...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up