THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 06:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Announcing: The AnthroPC Handbook  (Read 95480 times)

battyone

• Not quite a lurker
Announcing: The AnthroPC Handbook
« Reply #100 on: 08 Oct 2005, 19:56 »

Disclaimer is mine, EULA is comming, but those things are like 10 friggen pages of legal jargon...and its hard to make an EULA humorous :P

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #101 on: 10 Oct 2005, 00:11 »

hmmm... contained magnetics, huh...?
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

Sydney

« Reply #102 on: 10 Oct 2005, 08:36 »

maybe later...

gotyaoi

« Reply #103 on: 16 Oct 2005, 22:36 »

famous robot personalities.

gotyaoi

« Reply #104 on: 17 Oct 2005, 00:02 »

Can someone do a "cyberpunk" pesonality. I'm drawing a blank for the moment.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #105 on: 17 Oct 2005, 00:32 »

AnthroPC develops an obsession with wearing sunglasses, long black coats, and adopting a name from greek mythology.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

animatronic head

« Reply #106 on: 17 Oct 2005, 21:15 »

I am a computer engineering student and robotics hobbyist who is working on a project that I think the readers of this thread would be interested in.  For the past year I have been working on developing a simple biped walking robot.  I recently got the idea to apply my work to developing a working prototype of an AnthroPC.  Right now I am focusing on creating a stable walking pattern that fits within Pintsize's design constraints.  Once this is accomplished, I plan on adding components to give the robot a personality.  My hope is that this prototype can become a platform for me to apply what I learn in school in an entertaining manner.

battyone

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #107 on: 18 Oct 2005, 10:57 »

Quote from: animatronic head
I am a computer engineering student and robotics hobbyist who is working on a project that I think the readers of this thread would be interested in.  For the past year I have been working on developing a simple biped walking robot.  I recently got the idea to apply my work to developing a working prototype of an AnthroPC.  Right now I am focusing on creating a stable walking pattern that fits within Pintsize's design constraints.  Once this is accomplished, I plan on adding components to give the robot a personality.  My hope is that this prototype can become a platform for me to apply what I learn in school in an entertaining manner.

Oh dear god...

gotyaoi

« Reply #108 on: 19 Oct 2005, 22:54 »

Quote from: battyone
Quote from: animatronic head

Oh dear god...

Seconded

Se7en

« Reply #109 on: 20 Oct 2005, 00:25 »

Its near impossible though. Pintsize is a top heavy bugger, since most of the electronics are going to have to go inside his head. Also, his feet are the most useless shape imaginable, and his body is a aproximately a cube, little more than 120mm.  Getting ANY kind of bipedal robot to stand up and walk properly is a pain in the arse, and getting a pintsize to support itself would require as much processing power as a segway uses, since the design has no stable standing position. You can count the number of off the shelf PC designs that will fit that chassis size on the fingers of a blind butchers hand anyway, so theres essentially no room for the movement processors, the servos, and the batteries.

As for an AI? your going to get as far as a glorified eliza, nothing more.

The anthro PC is probably 20 or 30 years away, but one day we will see things like the sony abio evolve to that level. Right now its just a fictional character in a webcomic.

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #110 on: 20 Oct 2005, 06:39 »

Quote from: se7en
Pintsize is a top heavy bugger

You could put weights in his feet...
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

animatronic head

« Reply #111 on: 20 Oct 2005, 11:14 »

First of all, the fact that Pintsize is top heavy does not necessarily make walking impossible.  In fact, humans are top heavy, and we do a very good job of walking.  The key is shifting the weight to the right place above the feet.  Also, I will not be using feet that are shaped exactly like Pintsize's.  I plan on using hemispheres with flat bottoms.  Much of the electronics for balance and basic motion control will fit into the feet and torso leaving the head free for sensors, voice recognition circuits, a processor, etc.  My goal in this project is not to make an exact replica of Pintsize, for I agree, that is nearly impossible right now.  I can, however, use the Pintsize design as a base to experiment with things such as AI and human/robot interaction.

animatronic head

« Reply #112 on: 22 Oct 2005, 00:14 »

I've drawn up some diagrams to show what I've been talking about.  Yellow lines are for servos, gray lines are brackets and aluminum tubing, and the cyan is the outer shell.  The first picture is the robot in a standing position, and the second picture is the robot shifting its weight before a step.

Bunnyman

« Reply #113 on: 22 Oct 2005, 13:52 »

the nice wide feet don't hurt either.

Some sort of gadget to control the center of gravity...like a tuned mass damper scaled waaaaaay down...would do the trick.  Like some sort of fluid transfer system or somesuch.  Though I'm not sure if anyone's tried that yet...

Disclaimer is mine, EULA is comming, but those things are like 10 friggen pages of legal jargon...and its hard to make an EULA humorous :P

Actually... http://www.far-out-dude.com/archives/HOEEULA.txt

From Heart of Evil, the Apocalypse Now meets Resident Evil mod for Half-Life.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #114 on: 22 Oct 2005, 14:27 »

I was all "wtf is going on?" until I realized this wasn't the comic thread.

battyone

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #115 on: 22 Oct 2005, 16:28 »

Quote from: Bunnyman
the nice wide feet don't hurt either.

Some sort of gadget to control the center of gravity...like a tuned mass damper scaled waaaaaay down...would do the trick.  Like some sort of fluid transfer system or somesuch.  Though I'm not sure if anyone's tried that yet...

Actually... http://www.far-out-dude.com/archives/HOEEULA.txt

From Heart of Evil, the Apocalypse Now meets Resident Evil mod for Half-Life.

Hahahaha!  Looks like it _is_ possible, now to turn my sarcas-o-meter up 3 more points! :P

Sionide

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Check out the AnthroPC Handbook
    • sionide.net
« Reply #116 on: 25 Oct 2005, 03:03 »

Heh.

I like those diagrams- Have they been incorporated into the actual handbook?

animatronic head

« Reply #117 on: 25 Oct 2005, 14:28 »

They haven't been yet, but I could do that pretty easily.  Before I do, are there any other features or components that anyone would want added?  I can pretty much change the diagrams as needed, and show them from any angle.  If anyone has any suggestions, I would be glad to take them.

ElRodente

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • unf unf unf
    • doodleblog
« Reply #118 on: 06 Nov 2005, 05:07 »

uh, change the pintsize 1.0 to 2.0, this IS his second chassis you know
Oh no, he was fine... and now he's poorly from too much electric

Sionide

• sionide.net
« Reply #119 on: 06 Nov 2005, 16:27 »

Quote from: El-Rodente
uh, change the pintsize 1.0 to 2.0, this IS his second chassis you know

uh, how about you change it, this IS a wiki you know

andyscout42

« Reply #120 on: 05 Jan 2006, 18:36 »

added R2D2 personality... (no one had done that one, i was suprised... with Hal already done...)

ChaoticEvil

« Reply #121 on: 06 Jan 2006, 09:02 »

For a cyberpunk personality maybe....

Wintermute?

(go read neuromancer even if you have already!)

DevastatorIIC

« Reply #122 on: 22 Mar 2006, 10:15 »

Dang... daily vandalism. I've reverted to a rather old (but complete-looking) version of the homepage.

Sionide

• sionide.net
« Reply #123 on: 27 Mar 2006, 07:45 »

thanks DevastatorIIC, I don't have much experience of administrating wiki's but I've set it so you have to register and log in to make updates - hopefully this will stop some of the spam :)

donovangelonardo

« Reply #124 on: 02 Aug 2006, 00:04 »

I can't believe no one discussed "Regional Language Settings" yet, so if I missed it somewhere, someone tip me off or move and incorporate my addition into the previous section on it.  If not, HOORAY, I contributed!  It's in the Setup section.

DoubleAW

• Crazy Kid Genius
    • Hur.
« Reply #125 on: 17 Aug 2006, 20:22 »

Is there any entry on the programming languages that AnthroPC software runs on?

If there isn't, I'd be happy to work on it.
o hi.

Noellephant

Re: Announcing: The AnthroPC Handbook
« Reply #126 on: 01 Oct 2006, 23:09 »

hhaha you are simply the coolest person in the entire world

phoenixdoll

« Reply #127 on: 27 Dec 2006, 14:54 »

That's some funny shiznit, that is right there.

Paulefinch

« Reply #128 on: 18 Feb 2007, 12:03 »

Does anybody have a mirror or anything?

Devv

« Reply #129 on: 20 Feb 2007, 08:21 »

You could look at the google cache for the pages. It's not a very great way of viewing it though.
The site

dsvella

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #130 on: 16 Mar 2007, 14:46 »

You could look at the google cache for the pages. It's not a very great way of viewing it though.
The site

That link is very busted.
If Jeph ever draws full-on nudity or god help us all explicit sex, the forums will explode in a sticky, faintly bleach-smelling manner.

Derek Lincoln

« Reply #131 on: 13 Apr 2007, 10:06 »

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

What does that even mean?

AnotherQCaddict

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #132 on: 13 Apr 2007, 12:56 »

It means the site is fucking messed up.
*sneezes* Sorry, I'm allergic to bullshit.

NealsonLewison

« Reply #133 on: 16 Apr 2007, 21:49 »

yeah, was wondering if anyone had a complete version, i would love to read it

battyone

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #134 on: 08 May 2007, 00:29 »

http://web.archive.org/web/20051221042530/http://www.sionide.net/anthropc/index.php/Main_Page#The_AnthroPC_Handbook

Current as of November 2, 2005.  (which means its probably old as dirt and outdated, but my Disclaimer is there ^_^)
« Last Edit: 08 May 2007, 00:33 by battyone »

rabidcentipede

• Not quite a lurker
  • o.o
    • RabidCentipede
« Reply #135 on: 19 Jun 2007, 15:53 »

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

What does that even mean?

I got that too... The page isn't redirecting properly... Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

Shremedy

« Reply #136 on: 16 Jul 2007, 09:48 »

Accessing the web.archive.org page under Firefox doesn't (quite) work --- you get the base page, but all the subheading links refer back to sionide.net, which still comes up with that same redirection error others have noted.   Accessing the archive page with IE7 (or using an IE tab under FF if you have that extension) *works* because all the links on the base page are altered on-the-fly to their web.archive.org counterparts!  It's IE chauvanism!

Now, I have to wonder if sionide.net will respond to IE7 acesss, because everyone who's complained had been using (the uber-cool) Firefox.  (EDIT:  It doesn't.   It sits there, spins its wheels forever, as Firefox anticipated ) 

Just want to say, I only allow IE7 on my systems as passive defense, to incorporate and include M$'s  manyfold security patches...or for when is really is the only program that can be used....

So, what's the deal?  Busted PHP program?   Would updating that help?  More daily vandalism?  Has Sionide given up?
« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2007, 10:01 by Shremedy »
"Because I dislike being quoted I lie almost constantly when talking about my work." -- Terry Gilliam

falldowngoboom47

« Reply #137 on: 07 Aug 2007, 19:48 »

Thanks a lot!! make it good ;)

Heh, Anthrix.. ahhh the fun is never-ending. I've said it before but I'll say it again, a die-cast model of Pintsize (lifesize?) would the COOLEST thing jeph could sell!

Announcing: The Apple Version AnthrOS X Tiger!

falldowngoboom47

« Reply #138 on: 07 Aug 2007, 20:00 »

First of all, the fact that Pintsize is top heavy does not necessarily make walking impossible.  In fact, humans are top heavy, and we do a very good job of walking.  The key is shifting the weight to the right place above the feet.  Also, I will not be using feet that are shaped exactly like Pintsize's.  I plan on using hemispheres with flat bottoms.  Much of the electronics for balance and basic motion control will fit into the feet and torso leaving the head free for sensors, voice recognition circuits, a processor, etc.  My goal in this project is not to make an exact replica of Pintsize, for I agree, that is nearly impossible right now.  I can, however, use the Pintsize design as a base to experiment with things such as AI and human/robot interaction.
I personally think it woould be easy to build it around a lego mindstorms set. im into programming also.

dishfairy

« Reply #139 on: 14 Aug 2007, 23:01 »

I am runnig safari and I can't get it. can somone please copy an updated version to another site?

lunakitten

• Plantmonster
« Reply #140 on: 16 Aug 2007, 19:49 »

I tried accessing the page in IE- and it still didn't come up. Any chance it'll be hosted/archived/mirrored in its entirety somewhere that Firefox can get to?

I let Internet Explorer on my system- I feel so dirty... :cry:

tamaness

« Reply #141 on: 24 Oct 2007, 15:04 »

I'm getting a 404 error on all of the browsers i use. (IE7, Firefox 2.0.0.8, Opera 8.5.2)

I have a server here that can handle a small load; I can mirror the handbook temporarily, if necessary. Just keep in mind that it is not a production server, and my connection isn't always stable. (Single PC with DMZ/port 80 forwarded in, residential 1.5Mb/768Kb up/down connection) I do have MySQL, Apache, and PHP running on this system.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #142 on: 16 Nov 2007, 11:21 »

I'm using the link Battyone gave with Safari (3.0.3) and linked with no problems.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

HellStorm

« Reply #143 on: 16 Jan 2008, 10:55 »

Somebodys probably already asked this, but I've just spent the last 3 hours reading and I cba doing anymore =P
Anyways
Would it be alright to take your idea and do it so that you can get onto it on Firefox, because I can't get on it
I haven't tried on IE
But from the last couple of comments it seems not many other people can too
Obviously I'd link to yours and write in big letters at the bottom that it was your idea
 =]
xxx

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #144 on: 23 Mar 2008, 18:33 »

Linux AnthroPC.... UPDATE TIME!   :lol:

Judging by his attitude he's running Black Hat Linux.   (XKCD reference in case you don't follow that strip)

Matty3d

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #145 on: 24 Mar 2008, 00:59 »

Hi everybody
i cant believe someone hasn't done this already, but since Sionide lost his mysql database entires (as said on his blog) and he hasn't bothered to re-create the media wiki, I've re-created it here

http://anthropc.freehostia.com

Now obvisouly this is just a cut and paste job from the webarchive.org backup that battyone gave. and i deserve no praise. But this it at least gives us a starting point again, instead of starting from scratch
it also allows everyone to view it, reguardless of Web Browser Choice.

there are some limitations and things to note to the media wiki I set up.

-THERE IS CURRENTLY A BUG, clicking on the edit links on the side of the pages DOSE NOT WORK, click the "edit" tab at the top of the page in order to change something, i will look into fixing this shortly
-due to filesize limits by my host, image uploading is disabled
-account creation necessary for editing (to prevent vandalism)
-Wiki Formating needs to be done in most (if not all) of the Pages due to formatting being lost in the webarchive backup
-A Logo needs to be made

I am perfectly willing to re-locate the wiki to a better server if anyone offers

Obivously up untill this point all the edits have been done by me, but i encourge the original Authors of the pages/sections to re-edit, or comment their work
Please inform me of any other problems you run into with the wiki (since this is my first time setting one up)

Sionide

• sionide.net
« Reply #146 on: 14 Apr 2008, 17:47 »

Oh.... Wow.

I didn't realise people were still trying to play with the AnthroPC Handbook!

Yes, the webserver my site used to be hosted on bombed a while back and I never re-created the media-wiki hosting the Handbook. It was getting bombarded with so much spam too and rarely any proper updates.

If there's call for it, I'll make it again! It was just a bit of fun.. I had no idea people were still after it!!

--------

Edit: Great work resurrecting the Handbook Matty3d! I notice the freehostia.com site is fairly slow though. If you don't mind, I'll re-deploy media wiki on my server and people can contribute just like old times.. :)

Edit 2: It's back up and running! http://sionide.net/anthropc/
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2008, 18:48 by Sionide »

Sionide

• sionide.net
« Reply #147 on: 15 Apr 2008, 00:43 »

:-D Update: This time I've set a spam blacklist and a few other anti-spam measures. So hopefully we won't see the wiki drowning in spam... The easy solution is the lazy solution, just restricting it so only registered users can edit but that's hassle for you guys who might just want add something funny you've thought of. By all means make yourself an account though..

Update 2: It appears the original AnthroPC Handbook Logo has been lost in the midsts of time... So, this is a call for talented peoples to come up with a new logo for us!!
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2008, 00:50 by Sionide »

dishfairy

« Reply #148 on: 27 Apr 2008, 22:00 »

Hey guys, i just had an idea to continue on in the anthropc romance section. With your ok, I'd like to submit it

Sionide

• sionide.net
« Reply #149 on: 28 Apr 2008, 00:16 »

Feel free to edit anything you like! :D That's why it's a wiki, anyone can edit it. It's based on the same software as Wikipedia. Just let me know if you have problems editing pages..
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up