THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 18:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advert Music  (Read 8827 times)

Cpt.Fantastic

Advert Music
« on: 04 May 2005, 00:54 »

Wow, the music in the Vauxhall Astra Sport Hatch commercial is awesome, does anyone know what it is?

Has anyone else got favourite 'advert music'. Please, do tell.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
Advert Music
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2005, 01:20 »

Good songs on adverts infuriate me, hearing a little snatch of a song over and over can really ruin it. I heard they're using Nervous Breakdown for some car or something these days. Makes me damn glad I don't have a TV (and that they didn't choose Clocked In or Jealous Again, because then people would have had to have been killed).
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

dave86

Advert Music
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2005, 03:59 »

I agrees. The BBC uses part of Here Comes Your Man on their Saturday sports show, it just sounds wrong.
Worse than that is songs that get popular BECAUSE of being in ads. The worst of these was Bohemian Like You, which was played non-stop everywhere for weeks because of a bloody Vodafone ad.

LightThievesAll

• Obscure cultural reference
    • http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~ajohnsto
Advert Music
« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2005, 09:09 »

A few years ago there was a Buzzcocks tune in a car commercial.  I found that pretty interesting.

Currently there's a pretty amusing Volkswagen ad with a yuppie and a bunch of executives in a Jetta.  One of the executives goes to turn on the radio, the yuppie tries to stop him, and suddenly some furious music blasts out of the speakers (I don't remember exactly what it sounded like, there may have been a blast beat, I can't be sure).  I chuckled.

And Black Flag in a fucking car commercial?  Why the fuck would Greg Ginn sign off on something like that?  That's wrong for so, so, so many reasons.
Everybody needs to believe in something.  I believe I'll have another beer.

ASturge

Advert Music
« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2005, 09:20 »

Quote from: a pack of wolves
Good songs on adverts infuriate me, hearing a little snatch of a song over and over can really ruin it. I heard they're using Nervous Breakdown for some car or something these days. Makes me damn glad I don't have a TV (and that they didn't choose Clocked In or Jealous Again, because then people would have had to have been killed).

YES, it ruins it.

Also, you see stupid 'kiddies' going around with decent songs on their ipods and when you say
'woah, i didnt know you were into that band'
they'll just say
'Who? , I just heard it on that BMW advert'

Makes me angry't does.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Advert Music
« Reply #5 on: 04 May 2005, 09:23 »

UK TV Style (my sister watches it) use the instrumental part of 'American Idiot' on the advert to 'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition'.

Given the content of the show, this not so subtle comment amuses me muchly.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

muffy

• Asleep in the boner patch
Advert Music
« Reply #6 on: 04 May 2005, 11:16 »

I don't mind it hugely...but it does get annoying when stuff gets overplayed.
That said, I got really excited when some car ad used Chikinki's Ether Radio on it, as I love that song, and as no-one knows what it is, it hasn't been over-exposed to buggery.

Also, a load of ads have started using instrumentals which have been written to sound EXACTLY like The Strokes, but not one particular song - just general strokesness.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
Advert Music
« Reply #7 on: 04 May 2005, 11:31 »

Quote from: LightThievesAll
And Black Flag in a fucking car commercial?  Why the fuck would Greg Ginn sign off on something like that?  That's wrong for so, so, so many reasons.

Because he's Greg Ginn. SST were always failing to pay people back in the day (although at the same time they gave a load of other people like the Minutemen jobs), and I've always just got this feeling from what I've read of him that he's not the nicest of people.
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Sturge

Advert Music
« Reply #8 on: 05 May 2005, 01:10 »

zoom zoom zoom

Cpt.Fantastic

Advert Music
« Reply #9 on: 05 May 2005, 05:57 »

Cheers Andy.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
Advert Music
« Reply #10 on: 05 May 2005, 10:52 »

Moby's ENTIRE Play album. But hey, its Moby. A lot of really good electronica bands are in car commercials and stuff. Kinda ticks me off. The whole "oh, I got this song of a kitchen appliances add, but I'm still totally cool" thing ticks me off a bit. But hey, on the bright side, maybe it is getting some cool music out to the masses.....still dont like it though.
I like the way you work it.

californaya

Advert Music
« Reply #11 on: 05 May 2005, 10:58 »

If it weren't that Levi's commercial with the woman's pants getting torn off, I wouldn't know about The Zutons. :)

There's a VW commercial currently running that plays Kings of Leon's Molly's Chamber. Hearing a 30-second clip of that repeatedly does ruin it a tad for me.

ASturge

Advert Music
« Reply #12 on: 05 May 2005, 11:00 »

So if it wasn't for adverts, you'd never have been exposed to Kings of Leon or the Zutons?

Damn you advertising...

californaya

Advert Music
« Reply #13 on: 05 May 2005, 11:02 »

I've known about Kings of Leon for a couple of years now, and I love both their albums.

But I agree about the Zutons. :D

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
Advert Music
« Reply #14 on: 05 May 2005, 11:04 »

Quote from: ASturge
So if it wasn't for adverts, you'd never have been exposed to Kings of Leon or the Zutons?

Damn you advertising...

BAHAHAHAHA! That amde me laugh. Good job!

Schmung

Advert Music
« Reply #15 on: 05 May 2005, 11:21 »

http://www.commercialbreaksandbeats.co.uk/

Thats of some relevance here methinks.

californaya

Advert Music
« Reply #16 on: 05 May 2005, 11:29 »

There used to be a site like that for US commercials, but they shut it down a couple of years. I remember there was an Aiwa commercial that had a French rock song that I really liked, and I went there to find it, but the site was shut down.

Willis

Advert Music
« Reply #17 on: 05 May 2005, 19:39 »

Interesting topic.  There was an article I saw a week or so ago on this topic.  I think it was either at nytimes.com or cnn.com.  The topic discussed the inundation of pop songs into commercials during the past 5-10 years.  The article took the viewpoint of jingle-writers who back in the day came up with all sorts of clever ditties for us consumers to remember their products.  Now we've got Dockers using a 15+ year old the The song.  

~~Willis

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Advert Music
« Reply #18 on: 05 May 2005, 22:11 »

Don't generally pay enough attention, unless I already know the song. Example: "Deceptacon" appeared in a cell phone ad.

Lemme hear you depoliticize my rhyme indeed.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
Advert Music
« Reply #19 on: 05 May 2005, 23:43 »

Le Tigre were in an advert? Okay, that confirms it, Kathleen Hanna has sold out. I don't normally chuck that accusation around, but that crosses the fucking line. Damn, she used to be so cool just a few years ago but now she's just lost it completely.

thehoopiestfrood

Advert Music
« Reply #20 on: 06 May 2005, 09:43 »

Some TV programme has Na Na Na Na Naa by the Kaiser Chiefs on an advert which confuses me for some reason, though I can't remember which programme.

The one which for some reason shocks me every time is the Pixies' Velouria on the Wanadoo broadband advert, but it does actually go well with the footage of the bikes flying downhill. It's just strange, and I'm not sure why.

Muse got some good money of Nestle when they used Feeling Good for a coffee ad without permission and Muse sued, but all the Nestle did was get someone else to record a version of the Muse version which sounded oh so similar.

muffy

• Asleep in the boner patch
Advert Music
« Reply #21 on: 06 May 2005, 11:50 »

Quote from: a pack of wolves
Le Tigre were in an advert? Okay, that confirms it, Kathleen Hanna has sold out. I don't normally chuck that accusation around, but that crosses the fucking line. Damn, she used to be so cool just a few years ago but now she's just lost it completely.

I agree, I get really wound uo when people go 'bah, sell out' at everyone and everything, but in the case of Le Tigre, they preached their ideals so vehemently that you'd kind of expect them to adhere to them.
Still, they make damn good songs, so I can't resent them that.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
Advert Music
« Reply #22 on: 06 May 2005, 12:02 »

Yeah, I liked 'This Island' a lot even though it wasn't as good as 'Feminist Sweepstakes'. I didn't mind that they'd moved to a major, although I thought their argument that it was because they wanted to get their message out to more people was pretty weak when it was by far their least political album. But adverts? Hanna always used to talk about how feminism was meaningless to her when you didn't connect it to things like anti-capitalism. Looks like that's gone out the window in favour of more cash.

Cpt.Fantastic

Advert Music
« Reply #23 on: 06 May 2005, 15:08 »

Quote from: thehoopiestfrood
Muse got some good money of Nestle when they used Feeling Good for a coffee ad but all the Nestle did was get someone else to record a version of the Muse version which sounded oh so similar.

Bastards. But that's the way to do it. Being a bastard myself I recommend it.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
Advert Music
« Reply #24 on: 06 May 2005, 15:48 »

Isn't their song in the movie promo for the new Jet Li flick?

Revenge_Therapist

Advert Music
« Reply #25 on: 06 May 2005, 16:11 »

Modest Mouse sold Gravity Rides Everyhting to a car commercial about two years ago.

thehoopiestfrood

Advert Music
« Reply #26 on: 06 May 2005, 17:06 »

Quote from: Cpt.Fantastic
Quote from: thehoopiestfrood
Muse got some good money of Nestle when they used Feeling Good for a coffee ad but all the Nestle did was get someone else to record a version of the Muse version which sounded oh so similar.

Bastards. But that's the way to do it. Being a bastard myself I recommend it.

I didn't make that very clear - Nestle used the song without permission and Muse sued and then gave the money they got to charity. And then Nestle made the clone of the tune.
Pages: [1]   Go Up