THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 06:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cock Sparrer  (Read 15900 times)

DeathrockZombie

Cock Sparrer
« on: 29 Apr 2005, 09:11 »

Someone's gonna get slapped tonight!
It's gonna be you!!!

Some of the best tunes ever. Am I right, or am I right?

"YOU WOT!!?!?!"
*guitar solo*
~ Basim

LightThievesAll

• Obscure cultural reference
    • http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~ajohnsto
Cock Sparrer
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2005, 11:42 »

One of the greatest bands ever.  Few albums get my blood pumping like "Shock Troops".  Oi! fuckin' oi!

"A.U." is a great song, although I think it's amusing since it's fairly new, and it's funny to think of a guy pushing fifty starting a fight with some young guy in a pub.
Everybody needs to believe in something.  I believe I'll have another beer.

Spencer

Cock Sparrer
« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2005, 18:02 »

I've heard a few Cock Sparrer songs on Music Match and Fungus53 on XM, and I've really dug what Ive heard. I cant seem to find anything by them on slsk, so I may have to go down to the local Oi record shop and see if I can find anything.

passthebottle

Cock Sparrer
« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2005, 20:10 »

When she sighs it's the sigh of a sleeping tiger's stir
& when she cries it's a storm like the world has never heard
& when she lies you'll believe in every single word
Cause you can never tell with an east end girl

She's dangerous and beautiful and proud
With her feet on the ground and her head high in the clouds
And all it takes is one look through a late night party crowd
To put you under the spell of an east end girl

Damn fuckin' straight.  Cocksparrer is teh shit. ^^

exliontamer

Cock Sparrer
« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2005, 21:54 »

Everybody's got a number tattooed on their soul
And the time's gonna come boy, when your number's called
Everybody gets a uniform and a hut to live in
They give you your rank, you tell 'em your next of kin
And there's no escape for the likes of you, my friend

But I'm gonna be out on an island
In the middle of the bright blue sea
Out on an island
Where nobody's gonna bother looking for me

That's probably my favorite Cock Sparrer jam, its so pretty and peaceful, clearly out of place with their usual style. It's also one of the best songs about draft-dodging out there. It proves that you don't have to be a nationalistic right-wing asshole to be into Oi music. I fucking love Cock Sparrer.

Everywhere we go they say "You've got a chip on your shoulder"

LightThievesAll

Cock Sparrer
« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2005, 22:08 »

Quote from: exliontamer
It proves that you don't have to be a nationalistic right-wing asshole to be into Oi music.

I despise that generalization.  Most Oi is apolitical, and there's plenty of it that's liberal too.  Angelic Upstarts, Brigada Flores Magon, Hudson Falcons, those bands are all staunchly left of center.  The whole working-class aspect of Oi certainly lends itself to liberal politics, even if there are exceptions.

exliontamer

Cock Sparrer
« Reply #6 on: 02 May 2005, 06:01 »

First of all, I listen to a lot of Oi music. It is not at all apolitical. In fact its pretty far from that. Any Oi band is likely to have 1 or 2 decidedly political songs, then a bunch of songs about beer. In fact no music (or band, more accurately) is apolitical. I know plenty of Oi bands are extremely liberal (the Opressed springs to mind amongst others), but you have to agree that by and large the politics of oi music tend to have a slight tilt to the right. I mean working class politics, while often liberal, also can develop a misguided slant to the right. Dropkick Murphys is a good example. Generally good music (the early stuff anyway), generally bad politics.

Plus, on top of all that I didn't exactly make a generalization. I was submitting a proof. I was saying that Cock Sparrer proves a point, which I happen to believe, that you don't have to have right wing politics to listen to oi music. Which I think you'd agree is what most people assume about Oi bands. It think it was silly to take offense at my statement because I think we both have the same opinion of Oi music. In fact I think we should go to a Cock Sparrer show and swill a couple brews right now. Unless you've got the edge, then I'll drink and you'll rock.

hooligan

Cock Sparrer
« Reply #7 on: 02 May 2005, 08:13 »

^Let's all play nice.

Or we could have a riot, your call.  Actually, "Riot Squad" is a good example of this dicotomy within Oi.

I just ran out to my car and grabbed my "best of" CD.  Thanks for reminding of this awesome band.

exliontamer

Cock Sparrer
« Reply #8 on: 02 May 2005, 10:29 »

How were we not playing nice? I feel like the two of us were begining a perfectly reasonable discussion. Plus I was pointing out that we both seem to actually agree anyway. I doubt there will be a riot here.

hooligan

Cock Sparrer
« Reply #9 on: 02 May 2005, 11:14 »

Good enough.  

I have to say that some of Cock Sparrer's stuff is a little fruity, "Out on an Island" to name names.  Of all the Oi bands that I used to REALLY like, I would say that the 4-Skins is the only that I still listen to regularly.

Freezey

Cock Sparrer
« Reply #10 on: 02 May 2005, 17:49 »

buhuhuh, you said "cock".

I own this cd that has shock troops and running riot on it. I've had it for almost a year and have listened to it twice...I dunno. It's not bad, I just never want to listen to it. However, a song or two every so often is always pretty good.

LightThievesAll

Cock Sparrer
« Reply #11 on: 02 May 2005, 21:46 »

Quote from: exliontamer
Plus I was pointing out that we both seem to actually agree anyway. I doubt there will be a riot here.

Yeah, we probably do.  I, however, still despise the right-wing generalization of Oi.  Obviously you do not dig this generalization, which rocks, cos everyone else does.  And by everyone, I mean people who think Oi is the "Romper Stomper" soundtrack.

As for the Dropkick Murphys, I saw them Sunday night for the first time in a while (a year maybe?) and they have gone down the tubes.  I try not to hate on them because I don't feel they've sold out, they still have some pretty damn good tunes, "Do or Die" is still and album I rock out to all the time, and Al Barr is Al motherfucking Barr and he's one of my favorite frontmen ever.  That said, what a disappointment.  They played three songs off of "Do or Die", one of them was sung by a kid they took out of the audience.  "Skinhead on the MBTA" is a novelty song, so that doesn't count either.  They didn't even play "Never Alone" which is hands down their best fuckin' song.  And would it kill them to do a Bruisers tune?  If I heard Al sing "American Night" live I'd probably have a seizure of joy.  And while we're on the subject of DKM doing live covers, why not do a Cock Sparrer cover?  I mean, hell, they do a few very solid Oi covers (Iron Cross, Red Alert, Cock Sparrer, among others).  Turns out the best part of the show were the Stiff Little Fingers, Discharge and Sinead O'Connor songs played before they came on stage.

If you want Oi in the Boston area, it's all about Tommy and the Terrors.

hooligan

Cock Sparrer
« Reply #12 on: 03 May 2005, 04:44 »

Cock Sparrer does a cover of "White Riot" which is pissa.

passthebottle

Cock Sparrer
« Reply #13 on: 03 May 2005, 10:52 »

Bruisers > Dropkick's

Waaay better.  I look at dropkick murphy's as the green day of that genre.  They're usually what gets you into it in the first place and then you spend the next few years listening to better shit and wondering why you loved DM so much in the first place..

sketchyjoe

• Balloon animal serial killer
Cock Sparrer
« Reply #14 on: 03 May 2005, 13:18 »

Cock Sparrer are the best Oi! band in the world. Ever. Shock Troops is an absolute classic.
Limber limp with a dry martini

Until....

LightThievesAll

Cock Sparrer
« Reply #15 on: 03 May 2005, 21:51 »

Quote from: passthebottle
Bruisers > Dropkick's

Waaay better.  I look at dropkick murphy's as the green day of that genre.  They're usually what gets you into it in the first place and then you spend the next few years listening to better shit and wondering why you loved DM so much in the first place..

The Bruisers are my favorite Oi band ever.  Well, actually, they're pretty much tied with Niblick Henbane.  Nobody knows who Niblick Henbane is though.

I wouldn't really consider the Dropkick Murphys Oi.  They've got definite Oi elements, especially early on, but not so much anymore.  I got into Oi through the Business.  That band is great, even if they are the Sum 41 of Oi.

passthebottle

Cock Sparrer
« Reply #16 on: 03 May 2005, 23:22 »

Quote from: LightThievesAll
That band is great, even if they are the Sum 41 of Oi.

That was great.  Really.  That's gonna pop into my head sometime tomorrow and I'm going to start laughing and people are going to look at me strangely.

hooligan

Cock Sparrer
« Reply #17 on: 04 May 2005, 04:28 »

Quote from: LightThievesAll
I wouldn't really consider the Dropkick Murphys Oi.

Agreed.

I still say that the 4-Skins were the best Oi band.  The Business, Infra-riot, Last Resort, and Combat 84 were all good too.

Spencer

Cock Sparrer
« Reply #18 on: 04 May 2005, 12:53 »

Definition Time!

I consider myself a fan of the punk rock, but I have a very biased favor for "california" punk - The very distinct SoCal and NorCal sound that developed in the mid 90's, and for, of course, the early Midwest/east coast hardcore stuff (I do not limit myself to these "genres" anymore, of course, this is 10 years ago Im talking about.)

As a kid I generally dispised English punk (especially the clash and the sex pistols. What can I say, I still think the Sex Pistols were terrible. I have learned the error of my ways in regards to The Clash though), and, what I assume, most 0i music as well.

But what is Oi? I have my idea's about the general sound is - Crass, Cock Sparer, The Buisness, Fear (?) - but is the genre defined by it's general sound (which is really just low-fi, low talent punk), or are the Implied/Assumed politics of the band a requirement as well. What am I missing here? What makes Cock Sparrer Oi but, say, Rancid not Oi?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Cock Sparrer
« Reply #19 on: 04 May 2005, 13:44 »

An Oi band has to have skins in it and go Oi! doesn't it? Or is that just an over-generalisation I'm going to get booted for? I would like to point out that I have almost no idea what I'm talking about.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

LightThievesAll

Cock Sparrer
« Reply #20 on: 04 May 2005, 20:10 »

If you want to simplify it a lot, you could call Oi skinhead punk, but that's silly in my opinion.  It's working class punk, common themes include drinking, fighting, having a good time, patriotism, and the system grinding down the working man.  The politics vary widely, from leftist bands like the Angelic Upstarts or the Hudson Falcons, to conservative bands like Combat 84 or Stormwatch.  Generally, however, you'll find that many Oi bands prefer not to make overt political statements, although they still record the occasional political tune.  One of the core aspects of being a skin (according to much of the traditional skinhead scene) is being able to put aside politics and all that bullshit, and be able to share a pint and a good time.  This is reflected in a lot of traditional Oi bands, although the SHARPs and boneheads have their own idea of how things should be done.  I guess that's an alright description of the ideas behind Oi, those in the know feel free to rip apart my generalization as you see fit.  Musically Oi tends toward the more melodic side of punk, with gruff vocals.  Calling it low-talent is pretty stupid in my opinion.  There's not a lot of fret-wanking or insane instrumentation, but it's fucking punk rock, what do you expect?  If you want technicality listen to Death.  Awesome Oi bands you should check out (I'll refrain from listing most that have already been named in this thread): I gotta reiterate Cock Sparrer, the Bruisers, Niblick Henbane, the Templars (very low-fi, these guys), Squiggy, Condemned 84, Forced Reality, Effigies (not really Oi I guess, but the best skin band ever), Red Alert, Stars and Stripes (Oi homage/parody), Anti-Heros, Skoidats, Patriot, Pressure Point, Cockney Rejects, Sham 69, early Skrewdriver, the list goes on.  I won't lie, I'm pretty biased toward this genre, and even the average bands I enjoy quite a bit.

I like Wikipedia.  These encyclopedia pages are pretty good.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skinheads
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oi!

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Cock Sparrer
« Reply #21 on: 04 May 2005, 20:35 »

The article says The Anti-Nowhere League are Oi! ? I fucking love them. Tracks like 'Woman', 'So What?' and 'Let's Start a Fight' are climbing higher in my mental list of my favourite songs than pretty much any other punk group I've ever heard.  I tried Cock Sparrer as well, thought it was pretty good, though I could only get a few tracks off DC++. Might as well check out a few more of these, any  more that sound, well, more like ANL. Specific album recommendations would be awesome.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

dako

Cock Sparrer
« Reply #22 on: 04 May 2005, 21:25 »

Street punk, oi, anarcho, anything of the sort.

/thumbs down

Good ol' hardcore punk is the way to go. Gimme some Black Flag or Negative Approach any day.

hooligan

Cock Sparrer
« Reply #23 on: 05 May 2005, 09:30 »

I would say that the Wikipedia definition is pretty serviceable.  I think there is a pretty common generally accepted sound in modern Oi, though early Oi had more variation.  Without any musical talent it is difficult for me to describe, but I know it when I hear it.  One common theme is that the lyrics (or at least the choruses) tend to be "chants", if you catch my meaning.  A good example would be Borstal Breakout (Sham 69), the idea is for the audience to sing along with the chorus (in a rowdy drunken fashion, thereby promoting camaraderie).

To simplify: Oi was the music of British football hooligans.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
Cock Sparrer
« Reply #24 on: 05 May 2005, 10:06 »

I'm not too sure I've heard this band or others like it, but the name keeps reminding me of Heroic Homosex.

(Not Safe For Work)
http://www.heroichomosex.com/">http://www.heroichomosex.com/indeximages/bkcd300.jpg" alt="Cockrub Warriors Rule!">

p.s. cockrub warriors rule!
also israel

Spencer

Cock Sparrer
« Reply #25 on: 05 May 2005, 18:58 »

The Unseen is considered Oi!? I've been listening to the new album quite a bit and would have never thought to call them Oi.

And by low talent, I should have said "Basic, not techincally advanced".

Thanks for the wiki link and your own views.  I would have never tied Oi to the skinheads if it hadnt of been mentioned, even though everyone I used to know in HS that listened to Oi was a skin.

sketchyjoe

• Balloon animal serial killer
Cock Sparrer
« Reply #26 on: 06 May 2005, 12:11 »

Whenever anyone ask me what Oi! is I say "Working class punk anthems with singalong choruses."

The Dead Pets do an awesome cover of We're Coming Back.
Limber limp with a dry martini

Until....
Pages: [1]   Go Up